Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
2021 FREE AGENCY: Markkanen wants out of CHI | DAL "definitely interested"
Two hits 20 years apart isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.  What about all of the fails in between?  If you're going to give him credit for Giannis then you subtract Luka because they wouldn't have been in a position to get him, so that's still just 2 major positives and a long list of failing to draft well.  Also, nobody deserves a lifetime pass.  A general manager has to adjust and change with the times.  Past success doesn't ensure future rewards, and Donnie had been a major part of the Mavs failure to compete since plan powder started.  It was time to move on.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:27 AM)david75090 Wrote: Donnie brought us Dirk and Nash. More recently, Luka. Also UDFAs like JJB, DSF and Maxi. He would have drafted Giannis. He missed a few times but what NBA front office person hasn't? Plus, he managed to work for Mark almost the entire time. Anyone else who managed to find talent like either Dirk or Luka would deserve a lifetime pass. Except around here, it's what-have-you-done-for-me-in-every-deal-you've-ever-done-and-do-I-agree-every-time.
No reason to rehash this subject (there is plenty to say), especially not in this thread. Just wanted to say I agree with everything else you said in that post.
Like Reply
No way of knowing how many successes were headed off by he-who's-smarter-than-everyone-else-in-every-room. Would Donnie have let Nash go, or would he have added to him? There are all sorts of woulda/coulda/shouldas. How much was forced upon Donnie? Too many cooks...
[-] The following 1 user Likes david75090's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:36 AM)david75090 Wrote: No way of knowing how many successes were headed off by he-who's-smarter-than-everyone-else-in-every-room. Would Donnie have let Nash go, or would he have added to him? There are all sorts of woulda/coulda/shouldas. How much was forced upon Donnie? Too many cooks...

Exactly, but obviously Cuban wasn't going to fire himself, so change was needed and Donnie was the obvious choice.  Hopefully it's a sign that Cuban is willing to change as well, but we won't know that for a while yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:41 AM)Kidnova Wrote: Exactly, but obviously Cuban wasn't going to fire himself, so change was needed and Donnie was the obvious choice.  Hopefully it's a sign that Cuban is willing to change as well, but we won't know that for a while yet.

There's a new GM. He will get the credit and the blame. Donnie's gone, for good or for bad. I'm not in the camp that believes Donnie wasn't good at his job.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 09:23 AM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Boucher is still an option in the Dragic S&T. He's expiring and the Raps have too many guys there, they can't extend him. Imo he's the best plan B if Collins doesn't work out. Nance/Bagley otherwise. He still has a lot of upside, only issue is he's 28 with 4 years of experience due to weird stuff in life delaying things.

Great defender, rim runner, ball handler, 38% from 3. Everything the Mavs need at the 4 other than maybe he's a little thin. Not that important the way the league is these days anyhow.

Probably have to give up Brunson or Maxi.

I intended to put him on my list.  I’m OK with Brunson outgoing in the case where Dragic and Boucher are incoming.  I’d like Boucher and Maxi to share the position, so my preference is to keep Maxi.  Boucher would be a really nice fit for what we seem to be doing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Jakeospikez
Like Reply
What's the argument for Cleveland moving Nance for the TPE?  I know they just handed out a big extension but they didn't need to make space to make that happen did they?

Also, I saw grumblings of us potentially acquiring Bullock with the TPE in a sign and trade instead of the MLE so that we can also negotiate taking off protections on the 2023 pick.  I really hope that's true....
Like Reply
I played a hand with the Bob last night. There is a blockbuster brewing between us and Tor. KP and Siakam headline the trade, but there are a lot of moving parts. He thinks the hold up is getting a third team involved to get a specific piece for Tor.
[-] The following 4 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Kidnova, KillerLeft, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
I was watching Luka's quarterfinal game last night while trying to keep an eye on FA developments and it struck me that Luka would probably be most happy with a team that feels like the Slovenian team he is currently on. To my untrained eye...A lot of athletic decent-to-good shooters that can switch almost everything including a center that is a rebounding machine with good hands and a respectable long ball. 

I say this understanding that the NBA and FIBA styles are a bit different.

But to me, that's the type of team DAL needs to build because it's the style Luka is most comfortable in. 

What does that mean in relation to the FA signings so far? I think retaining THJ and signing the other two wings is working in that direction. Collins would fit the mold. Certainly Dragic. (if we can't get Goran, need to sign Zoran Big Grin ). Maxi seems like a good fit. I'd like to say KP might work, but I think he needs too much special handling to fit the concept. 

Guess I'm trying to see where the MBT is going with their team building efforts and this seems like productive direction.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:03 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I was watching Luka's quarterfinal game last night while trying to keep an eye on FA developments and it struck me that Luka would probably be most happy with a team that feels like the Slovenian team he is currently on. To my untrained eye...A lot of athletic decent-to-good shooters that can switch almost everything including a center that is a rebounding machine with good hands and a respectable long ball. 

I say this understanding that the NBA and FIBA styles are a bit different.

But to me, that's the type of team DAL needs to build because it's the style Luka is most comfortable in. 

What does that mean in relation to the FA signings so far? I think retaining THJ and signing the other two wings is working in that direction. Collins would fit the mold. Certainly Dragic. (if we can't get Goran, need to sign Zoran Big Grin ). Maxi seems like a good fit. I'd like to say KP might work, but I think he needs too much special handling to fit the concept. 

Guess I'm trying to see where the MBT is going with their team building efforts and this seems like productive direction.

Yep....and a good pick and roll partner like Tobey.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:01 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: There is a blockbuster brewing between us and Tor. KP and Siakam headline the trade, but there are a lot of moving parts. He thinks the hold up is getting a third team involved to get a specific piece for Tor.

I do think TOR is one of the teams that could be open to KP. Siakam seems to have worn out his welcome and they need to rebuild with Lowry gone. It seems like a possible fit to me.

Can Siakam+Dragic for KP+DP be the base of a trade? I would be willing to part with JB or even DFS to make this happen I think.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Two KP trades I could see right now although still very unlikely.

San Antonio - KP/Powell for Derozan (3/60)/D White/Poetl

Toronto - KP/Powell/Kleber/Brunson for Siakam/Dragic
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Confirming what we all expected.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...5980710919
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:17 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I do think TOR is one of the teams that could be open to KP. Siakam seems to have worn out his welcome and they need to rebuild with Lowry gone. It seems like a possible fit to me.

Can Siakam+Dragic for KP+DP be the base of a trade? I would be willing to part with JB or even DFS to make this happen I think.

I mentioned that exact proposal last night. With the addition of Bullock for 3 years, I could see him replacing DFS and the Mavs trading him now, before the next payday.

KP+DP+DFS for Dragic & Siakam.

DFS seems like a glue guy and loved by his teammates so idk how Luka would feel about it (but it gets rid of the KP problem)
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • Kammrath, Okstate819
Like Reply
I said it before, but

Siakam to Portland

McCollum to Dallas

KP+Brunson to Toronto
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Okstate819
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:22 AM)Okstate819 Wrote: San Antonio - KP/Powell for Derozan (3/60)/D White/Poetl

I like Poetl and White for sure.....but man give me Dejounte Murray as a backcourt partner for Luka. I would virtually gut this team to make that happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:28 AM)Branduil Wrote: I said it before, but

Siakam to Portland

McCollum to Dallas

KP+Brunson to Toronto

I want Siakam in DAL not McCollum.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • haveitall, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
The question isn´t who is to blame. Question is how the Mavs can fix it in the future. Donnie, Mark and RC (whoever made the decisions) maneuvered the Mavs into this positions and couldn´t upgrade the roster in the last two offseasons. They also emptied the pick cupboard. Turning this offsesaon into an all or nothing summer for the Mavs. Last chance to make bigger changes before Luka signs his max. Last chance to upgrade the overall talent of the roster and close the gap to teams like the Lakers, Clippers or Suns in the west. Bucks, Nets and 76ers in the east. Difficult situation for Nico and he only had one month to prepare but the results are Donnie like. I am not disappointed with him. Just not happy with the entire process that lead up to this summer and the mediocre results.

In a different situation a THJ/Bullock/Dragic (hopefully) offseason would have been okay and I like all of the mentioned players on the right contract and in the right role but it´s not enough to close the gap to the top teams. Even worse there is no upside. Maybe they can improve their individual numbers next to a playmaker like Luka but all of them are in the last few seasons of their prime or already on the decline.
If the Mavs aren´t making any bigger changes (KP trade) free agency isn´t an option for the next three years. Next opportunity 2024. Nico´s job isn´t getting easier. Now he has to work the trade market with limited assets.

All I can hope for is a new approach that finally puts the focus on player development and more youth. Not the free agent market. Don´t try to be a less attractive version of the Lakers, Clippers or Nets. Look at teams like Utah, Denver or Phoenix.
That´s what I wanted to see this summer. Pick up players with upside or raw potential instead of going after the next best available win now piece if the top tier players aren´t an option. That certainly did not happen. I guess Cuban, Harrison and Kidd think that they are closer than I think and hope that better fitting vets are enough.
Don´t see it. Can only hope for the best.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:28 AM)Branduil Wrote: I said it before, but

Siakam to Portland

McCollum to Dallas

KP+Brunson to Toronto

100% in.
Like Reply
(08-03-2021, 10:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I want Siakam in DAL not McCollum.

Me, too. Actually, I'd take either for KP, but I don't think they re-sign THJ at that number if they think there's a chance of landing McCollum, personally.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply