Dirk
Kidd
Marion
Tyson

Additional Starters
Terry
Haywood
Barea 

Relative Starters (Were or would be starters in the L at some point)
Stevenson
Mahinmi
Butler(injured)

2006 had 8 starters

Technical Starters
Dirk
Dampier
Howard
Terry

Additional Starters
Stackhouse
Harris
Daniels
Diop (was starter level at the time)

FOR REFERENCE - 2022 Mavs have 6 Starters 

Technical Starters
Luka
Porzingis
DFS
Hardaway Jr

Additional Starters
Kleber
Bullock

Relative Starters (Still TBD)
Brunson

——————-

The point of this exercise is to show the importance of depth and how the current team stacks up with our best 2 rosters of all-time in that area. We are still behind but not TOO far off.
Thank you Donnie.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasBasketball's post:
  • ClutchDirk, ReunionMav
Like Reply
Nice work dude!

I have to disagree with some placement of players though:

1. THJ should be in the additional starters (JET role)
  2. DFS is a technical starter, but does anyone believe he is of the caliber of Marion or Howard?
  3. Mahinmi probably shouldn’t be in this conversation for the time he was here.
  4. Dampier, I don’t know how to place him, but putting him where you have him seems off to me
  5. I think Kleber is a clear bench player. I think the statistic is more about the minutes played as opposed to whether or not he starts, but that limits him in this exercise IMO.
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 11:28 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Nice work dude!

I have to disagree with some placement of players though:

1. THJ should be in the additional starters (JET role) I don’t think he’s better than Jet, but I won’t take issue with technical or additional. I view those 2 categories as almost the same.
  2. DFS is a technical starter, but does anyone believe he is of the caliber of Marion or Howard? No, you are fair in your assessment there. DFS has become a good nba player IMO. Is he a MLE guy to you?
  3. Mahinmi probably shouldn’t be in this conversation for the time he was here. I put Mahinmi as a look through into how deep that team was and the importance of strength in #’s. I believe he had to play significant minutes in the finals.
  4. Dampier, I don’t know how to place him, but putting him where you have him seems off to me Back in those days a center was super valuable. He actually defended Shaq and rebounded competently. He was our prized FA target too lol. Got paid the big $$$. But you are right here too.
  5. I think Kleber is a clear bench player. I think the statistic is more about the minutes played as opposed to whether or not he starts, but that limits him in this exercise IMO. I’ve got a pretty high regard for Kleber. He’s a long way from being a star but I think any bench would be lucky to have him. 

Thank you!

There is certainly a lot of variance in categorizing the players like this. If a player falls out of one bucket and into the next, I think that could be okay, as long as they are still worth mentioning on the total list. If they fall off the list altogether, then basically they are inconsequential and don’t add to the sum.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
I like your thinking behind this. When I look at a championship team, I'm looking for 8 guys that can actually play in an 8 man playoff rotation. We inched closer with THJ, and now we inch a little closer with Bullock. I think we're 1 good role player or facilitator away from being a true championship caliber team. Once you get into the playoffs anything can happen. Luka, KP, THJ, Bullock can all provide something meaningful in the playoffs. DFS, Kleber, Brunson to a much lesser degree. Goran would be a great fit and would round out an 8 man rotation, but I'd like to see an improvement/replacement for DFS or Kleber. We also don't have an inside presence like a Brandan Wright, Tyson, etc.
Like Reply
(08-13-2021, 05:27 PM)Roddyb3 Wrote: Goran would be a great fit and would round out an 8 man rotation

I know it’s an over-simplification that I’ve done with the exercise, but I think it’s the simplicity that makes it generally true. 

I agree adding Goran and an improved Brunson would put us at around that 7+ starter level.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply