Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Maxi
59.62%
31 59.62%
Jalen
15.38%
8 15.38%
Delon
1.92%
1 1.92%
Luka
0%
0 0%
KP
0%
0 0%
Seth
0%
0 0%
DFS
5.77%
3 5.77%
THJ
17.31%
9 17.31%
Justin
0%
0 0%
DP
0%
0 0%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 4 DIRKIE: Winner Maxi (60%)
Bench Mob, should win.
Like Reply
Gotta put in a vote for Brunson, because his quarterbacking of the 2nd unit offense was the catalyst for the game ... particularly that big swing in the 3rd with Luka and KP on the bench, when it seemed like every Mavs possession resulted in a wide open 3 or a layup.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...4502207490
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I really like how Wright played. 

Quiet killer
Like Reply
I don't remember a game where everyone scored in double digits. The only player who didn't was Powell who was on a minutes restriction. No hyperbole, this might be the most balanced team performance that I've ever seen in an NBA game. Offense and defense came from everywhere and everyone. I know we want our stars to star, but I do not mind a game like this at all. In fact, I love it. Kuddos Mavs. Luka and KP are going to lead the charge in most games, but how cool is it that we have a deep enough team to pull something like this off! Maybe, rather than needing to beat the "we need a third star" drum, this season will show us that depth can be the third star and that for the Mavs, the cupboards are full up with legit NBA rotation players.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't remember a game where everyone scored in double digits.

It's been a long time since something like this has happened for the Mavs   Cool

From today's mavsmoneyball.com's article on 4 Observations Post-Game, "Nine different players scored double digits for Dallas, a feat which hasn’t happened for the franchise since 1986 against the Seattle Supersonics."
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:24 AM)dcon Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 08:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't remember a game where everyone scored in double digits.

It's been a long time since something like this has happened for the Mavs   Cool

From today's mavsmoneyball.com's article on 4 Observations Post-Game, "Nine different players scored double digits for Dallas, a feat which hasn’t happened for the franchise since 1986 against the Seattle Supersonics."

Funnily enough it was a game that put the Mavs up 3-1 for that season in a 147-124 blowout. History repeating itself!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Maybe, rather than needing to beat the "we need a third star" drum, this season will show us that depth can be the third star and that for the Mavs, the cupboards are full up with legit NBA rotation players.

I wouldn't go overboard with one win. This team needs a legitimate No 3. Maybe he doesn't need to be an all-star -- but they need a Josh Howard level 3rd fiddle - at least - who can go off for an efficient 20 on any given night. 

Keep in mind, it may be rare that Porzingis and Doncic both have off games....But it will be just as uncommon for everyone else to be on. For example, this game would've looked a lot different if THJ was 0-6 on 3s rather than 4-6. 

In fact, I'd bet THJ has as more 0'fer nights than four 3s nights this season.

He was 0-5 in Game 1
He was 0-5 in Game 3
He was 4-6 in Game 4

This bench is clearly deep - and they're world beaters when everyone makes shots - but it's a streaky bunch and there will certainly also be nights when the DFS, Jackson, Kleber, THJ, Powell combine for 2 of 20 behind the arc and shoot us out of games.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1189513511979884544
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

I really wonder how many cases were in history were for games where the score was tight. I am sure it happened in some blowout wins where reserves saw a lot of time and defenses were not honest anymore. But in a close game. I certainly don't remember any.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:45 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1189513511979884544
I don't have a twitter account but most of the names they came up with were pretty good.

I thought of Mavengers, but that is just silly.

My little ponies was good Smile

Curious what Mark will pick and then the fans will use something else.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...4791313409

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/11...7634087938
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:35 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I wouldn't go overboard with one win.

True. Point taken

(10-30-2019, 08:35 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: This team needs a legitimate No 3. Maybe he doesn't need to be an all-star -- but they need a Josh Howard level 3rd fiddle - at least - who can go off for an efficient 20 on any given night. 

Maybe. I certainly wouldn't object to having a legit #3. But I also recognize that depth, especially these days where the tempo is up and players' mgps are down, might be as important as that legit #3. AND, if we have handful of consistent guys (Brunson, Curry, Wright, etc) that are 4th or 5th option level, they could take up the slack of not having an obvious #3.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 12:50 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Can’t believe the THJ love. To me, team looks appreciably worse with him on the court. Every time he comes in. 

Also can’t believe Doe-Doe isn’t getting mentions. That lockdown D on Jamal Murry last 6 mins, which also featured him defending Millsap and Jokic periodically, without once getting scored on. Add 12 points on just 7 shots, the 4th Q drive and dunk, and that crucial defensive rebound that turned into a jump ball because the refs won’t give him a single whistle. It was a great game for DFS.

That said, I voted for Maxi. Defensive MVP.

I voted for Doe Doe. Those back to back threes energized us, and his lockdown D to close out the game kept us in it, because we weren't making many shots down the stretch.
Like Reply
Gotta be THJ for me. 

Hardaway played waaaaay better than I expected. He’ll likely be a net negative, volume shooting, anchor we try to ‘showcase’ this season (ala Wes Matthews) so when he has a night like this, I appreciate it!
Like Reply
I think when everyone of the 2nd unit and supporting role players  are putting up numbers, that speaks greatly of the 2nd unit PG who is orchestrating everything on offense and getting these guys their shots .. because they're not good enough to just get their own shot at will whenever they want.  So maybe we don't have the great bench scorer like Jet who can just go off on his own and fill up a stat line on the right night, but maybe we got Brunson who can allow several guys to do the one or two things on offense they do well.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 10:11 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I think when everyone of the 2nd unit and supporting role players  are putting up numbers, that speaks greatly of the 2nd unit PG who is orchestrating everything on offense and getting these guys their shots ....but maybe we got Brunson who can allow several guys to do the one or two things on offense they do well.

You know, before last night's game, I was considering opening an "Anyone else concerned about Brunson" thread. 

The first three games, he made some low BBIQ decisions and did a lot of chucking. I was afraid that something had gone wrong and the high BBIQ Brunson from last season had disappeared and he was trying to create his "brand" instead of being a team player. 

So glad it looks like my fears were unfounded!
Like Reply
DFS was huge in at keeping us in the game when Denver would go on little offensive runs. His defensive effort, his back to back 3s, and ability to stay with ball handlers coming off of Jokic screens was huge. 

With that being said, I voted Maxi. His points, rebounding and shot challenging were integral in this game. His block in the last couple minutes was a game saver.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 08:35 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 08:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Maybe, rather than needing to beat the "we need a third star" drum, this season will show us that depth can be the third star and that for the Mavs, the cupboards are full up with legit NBA rotation players.

I wouldn't go overboard with one win. This team needs a legitimate No 3. Maybe he doesn't need to be an all-star -- but they need a Josh Howard level 3rd fiddle - at least - who can go off for an efficient 20 on any given night. 

Keep in mind, it may be rare that Porzingis and Doncic both have off games....But it will be just as uncommon for everyone else to be on. For example, this game would've looked a lot different if THJ was 0-6 on 3s rather than 4-6. 

In fact, I'd bet THJ has as more 0'fer nights than four 3s nights this season.

He was 0-5 in Game 1
He was 0-5 in Game 3
He was 4-6 in Game 4

This bench is clearly deep - and they're world beaters when everyone makes shots - but it's a streaky bunch and there will certainly also be nights when the DFS, Jackson, Kleber, THJ, Powell combine for 2 of 20 behind the arc and shoot us out of games.

I still contend that KP is the Josh Howard who can score a ton of points early, particularly 1st quarter, but then has trouble creating a shot late.
Like Reply
(10-30-2019, 12:14 PM)Jym Wrote: I still contend that KP is the Josh Howard who can score a ton of points early, particularly 1st quarter, but then has trouble creating a shot late.

I loved me some Josh Howard, especially before he ditched his all around game in favor of just shooting, but man, I don't like the KP to JHo comp, and I sure hope you're wrong! I have much higher hopes for our potential 25pt/8rb/3blks on 40% 3pt shooting guy.
Like Reply