MavsBoard
Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 (/showthread.php?tid=850)

Pages: 1 2

Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - mavsluvr - 03-04-2021

LUKA-LESS MAVS SEND THUNDER OUT WITH A WHIMPER

Without their star, the Mavericks stumbled their way through the game, ultimately blowing out a seriously awful OKC team. 

NOTABLE ITEMS

GAME FLOW. Luka was out with lower back tightness, and Jalen took his place in the starting lineup. Both teams struggled to score in the first quarter, although each squad eventually broke twenty points. Mavs led 25-23 after one. The second was even worse, with Dallas scoring 24 points and “holding OKC to” 19. The Mavs were up 49-42 at the half, despite hitting only 1 of 19 three-point attempts. Yuck. 

Ya boys looked a little livelier in the third quarter, and had a 26-19 period against the Thunder, ending the frame at 75-61. Dallas had a putrid 12-point fourth period, but held on for the win. 

NUMBERS.  Both teams shot horribly (Dallas 39/20/79, OKC 33/23/65). The Mavs worked well on the glass, with 53 rebounds, and 18 of their 32 made baskets were assisted. They earned 19 points off OKC turnovers, and had 15 fast-break points. 

PORZINGIS. With Luka out, it was KP’s chance to shine, and he ended the game with a 19-point, 13-rebound double-double. He had a fierce drive and flush in the first quarter, and three very deep threes in the second half. Rick remarked that Kris was a huge factor offensively, with his great screening, rolling, and positioning making things easier for his teammates. 

HARDAWAY. Tim shared high-scorer honors with KP, with 19 points off the bench to go with 6 rebounds. He was active on the court in a variety of ways, taking a charge, driving to the basket for a slam, making a great pass to Maxi for an and-one, and hitting a couple of triples. Coach said he was terrific.

RICHARDSON. Josh had 16 points and 6 boards to go with 4 steals. Carlisle mentioned his great floor game, key shots, and coming up with the ball and pushing it ahead for a fast break on several occasions. Josh was also energetic on the defensive end, and was Devin Harris’ pick for the DPOG award, which ended up going to the entire team. 

BRUNSON. Jalen did a solid job filling in for Luka, and put up 11 points and 4 assists. He showed a lot of hustle, diving to the floor to beat OKC to a loose ball, and making some good defensive plays. 

BURKE. Rick singled out Trey for giving the team a big lift in this game and the last. He had 9 points as a reserve, and led the team with 6 assists. He played with confidence and swagger, and resembled his bubble self. 

THUNDER. I would like to credit the Mavericks defense as the reason OKC managed to score only 78 points, and I’m sure they had something to do with it, but I think the greater factor was that this Thunder team is just so, so bad offensively. I was embarrassed for them, with this pathetic performance. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick congratulated his team for sticking with the process and coming together in the second half after a physical, tight, difficult first half with the shots not falling. He described the team’s defense as “tremendous.” He seemed more relieved than anything. 

Mavs fans, a beautiful display of basketball artistry this contest was not. It was an ugly slog of a game, and tbh does not warrant much of a breakdown. But it’s a win, and it counts the same as the most impressive skilled performance imaginable. 

Going into the All-Star Break, the team stands at 18-16, having won nine of their last 11 games. Hopefully, they will make good use of the rest and come back refreshed and raring to go. In the meantime, Luka is expected to participate Sunday in the All-Star game and the skills contest, if anyone wants to look in on that. 

Enjoy the break, MFFLs!

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - dirkfansince1998 - 03-04-2021

The lack of playmaking without Luka was obvious. Add shooting struggles and the Mavs had to fight for every single point on offense.

Brunson 33min 4ast 2tov
Richardson 35min 1ast 2tov
THJ 31min 2ast 4tov

The regular rotation guards all played starter minutes. They combined for 7ast and 8tov. For comparisation Luka alone averages 9ast/4tov. Thankfully "bubble" Burke made an appearance and added 6ast without a single tov.

It´s nice to know that the Mavs can win a game with hustle and defense but it would be even better if they had another guy that could run the offense when Luka isn´t available (on the bench).

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - omahen - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 02:16 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The lack of playmaking without Luka was obvious. Add shooting struggles and the Mavs had to fight for every single point on offense.

Brunson 33min 4ast 2tov
Richardson 35min 1ast 2tov
THJ 31min 2ast 4tov

The regular rotation guards all played starter minutes. They combined for 7ast and 8tov. For comparisation Luka alone averages 9ast/4tov. Thankfully "bubble" Burke made an appearance and added 6ast without a single tov.

It´s nice to know that the Mavs can win a game with hustle and defense but it would be even better if they had another guy that could run the offense when Luka isn´t available (on the bench).

I agree with this, but still it has to be noted that lack of assists at least to an extent have to be attributed to extremely bad three point shooting.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - meistermatze - 03-04-2021

Agreed that there was not much to take away from this game since the Thunder were just horrible. In the modern NBA you usually don't get away with one half of shooting 1-20 from three, the Mavs however even took a lead into halftime, which says it all.

I liked that the Mavs seemed focused and determined to step up in Luka's absence and Porzingis continued to look better. I hope this trend continues.

(03-04-2021, 06:33 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Agreed that there was not much to take away from this game since the Thunder were just horrible.

True, Thunder was terrible. But also Mavs defense was mostly good.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - Paul Gasol - 03-04-2021

Was I the only one really uncomfortable when Skin asked Porzingis directly after the game about winning “whilst missing your best player”? I was watching through my fingers as Porzingis talked about the teams collective talent coming through when everyone “shares the ball”...

Maybe it was just me, but it felt really awkward and tense.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - Kammrath - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 02:31 AM)omahen Wrote: lack of assists at least to an extent have to be attributed to extremely bad three point shooting.

It should be noted that the extremely bad three point shooting was at least in part because the looks generated were not nearly as good as when Luka is generating wide open looks for his teammates.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - DanSchwartzgan - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 07:21 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: Was I the only one really uncomfortable when Skin asked Porzingis directly after the game about winning “whilst missing your best player”? I was watching through my fingers as Porzingis talked about the teams collective talent coming through when everyone “shares the ball”...

It was Harper who asked.  It is at the end of the video linked below.  Both of his first two answers were more messages about sharing the ball (hint hint) than anything else.  It didn't make me uncomfortable.  KP has a point of view.  He tries to be professional, but his passive aggressive nature gets the best of him (like the 40 foot shot the other day because he hadn't touched the ball for several possessions in a row).  It makes me wonder if this is what he's like in public, what is he like behind closed doors?

Not saying it is all his fault.  It takes a certain kind of mentality to be the co-star with a heliocentric guy like Luka.  As has been discussed many times, Luka often looks past an open KP and makes the more thrilling cross-court pass to a guy in the opposite corner.  Is that a flair to entertain on Luka's part or his way of sending a message himself?  Is this marriage salvageable?  Don't know, but if I'm the kids I'm starting to wonder where dad is going to live and how often I'll get to visit him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylM9y_i--qI

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - Chicagojk - 03-04-2021

I feel like I am always bashing Richardson and I don't mean to.   With that being said, with all the good things he does, if his shooting and shot creating does not improve the Mavs need to upgrade that position.    It is still early, but we really need to see a good second half to the season from him.

The Mavs, I am sure, were thinking he would be a 36% or better three point shooter and would get a ton of open looks.   He is getting open looks but tends to make the more difficult threes and misses the wide open ones.   Shooting under 30% from three is not going to cut it.

With this starting lineup with both DFS and Maxi, who neither can create much,  this team needs Richardson to be able to create to fill the time until the bench mob comes into the game.   

He is such a good free throw shooter, I would hope he can get to the rim more in a spread offense and get easier baskets and more free throws.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - Hypermav - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 07:21 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: Was I the only one really uncomfortable when Skin asked Porzingis directly after the game about winning “whilst missing your best player”? I was watching through my fingers as Porzingis talked about the teams collective talent coming through when everyone “shares the ball”...

I wrote in the Discord thread right after the interview that KP is delusional.  I thought he handled the "sticky" question from Harp pretty well but at the end of the comment he said "it looks like no one was even out".  Sorry, but the offense looked like it was missing Luka, big time. 

Otherwise, KP looked happy that he was the main dude.  I don't fault him there.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - HanspardsShowerVoice - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not saying it is all his fault.  It takes a certain kind of mentality to be the co-star with a heliocentric guy like Luka.  As has been discussed many times, Luka often looks past an open KP and makes the more thrilling cross-court pass to a guy in the opposite corner.  Is that a flair to entertain on Luka's part or his way of sending a message himself?  Is this marriage salvageable?  Don't know, but if I'm the kids I'm starting to wonder where dad is going to live and how often I'll get to visit him.

Yeah, Tsarks brought this up on the Bill Simmons podcast ... Luka is strangely kinda hard to adjust your game to because he just dribbles the ball so much and everyone just has to stand around let him do his thing.    He brought up the comparison with playing with Lebron.    LeBron is the greatest point forward in history of the game and his basketball IQ is off the charts, but we've seen guys like Kevin Love have real problems adjusting their game to him.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - mavsluvr - 03-04-2021

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1367358563685961728?s=20

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - DanSchwartzgan - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 08:03 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I feel like I am always bashing Richardson and I don't mean to.   With that being said, with all the good things he does, if his shooting and shot creating does not improve the Mavs need to upgrade that position.    It is still early, but we really need to see a good second half to the season from him.

The Mavs, I am sure, were thinking he would be a 36% or better three point shooter and would get a ton of open looks.   He is getting open looks but tends to make the more difficult threes and misses the wide open ones.   Shooting under 30% from three is not going to cut it.

With this starting lineup with both DFS and Maxi, who neither can create much,  this team needs Richardson to be able to create to fill the time until the bench mob comes into the game.   

He is such a good free throw shooter, I would hope he can get to the rim more in a spread offense and get easier baskets and more free throws.

This is part of why Brunson is getting so much opportunity in the 4th quarter of games.  People are just backing off of JRich.  This is why I brought up JRich for Fournier in the game thread the other day.  Take it for a test drive.  Have two of Luka, Brunson and Fournier on at all times.  I don't think Fournier duplicates THJ.  His ball handling would actually compliment him.  Plus, JRich and THJ don't play together than much and when they do the results aren't great.

If there isn't a bigger move (KP), it seems like something around JRich is the next highest possibility before the TDL.  BTW, Simmons and Tsarks talked about whether he will opt out or not this summer.  Both thought he would definitely want to hit free agency even after having a sub-par year.

(03-04-2021, 08:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is part of why Brunson is getting so much opportunity in the 4th quarter of games.  People are just backing off of JRich.  This is why I brought up JRich for Fournier in the game thread the other day.  Take it for a test drive.  Have two of Luka, Brunson and Fournier on at all times.  I don't think Fournier duplicates THJ.  His ball handling would actually compliment him.  Plus, JRich and THJ don't play together than much and when they do the results aren't great.

I agree. But with JRich you at least have a good defender to throw in the game. A good defender who is not totally incapable on offense. He still scores those 12 points on relatively good efficiency and offense is still good even with him on the floor. If you replace him with Fournier, you are basically left with DFS and Kleber as only plus defenders. Even if you want and need, you can't put up a defensive unit. 

For me, Fournier only makes sense as a substitution for THJ or maybe Brunson (going out in a separate trade, not for Fournier). If you are trading JRich, you have to bring a defensively capable guy in, imho.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - mavsluvr - 03-04-2021

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1367326077304123392?s=20

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - michaeltex - 03-04-2021

Minor accomplishment...go into the ASB as #8 in the WC. 0.001 ahead of GS.

After all the first half issues, it's nice to be back in the top half of the conference.

Also, "Team" DPOG belt seems like my kids soccer league participation trophy.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - HanspardsShowerVoice - 03-04-2021

I get that Boban is a limited player and you got to pick and choose  your matchups, but when nothing is going in the basket I don't know why you don't put him out there and use his extremely highly efficient offense to unclog the offense.   Particularly against the Thunder.   Who are you worried about exploiting him?   The walking zombie corpse of Al Horford?    He has played 3 combined minutes in the last 3 games.    I think he's just the unofficial team mascot at this point.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - SleepingHero - 03-04-2021

No I was right there with ya. And it was Harp that asked that tone deaf question.

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - Hypermav - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 10:17 AM)michaeltex Wrote: kids soccer league participation trophy.
lol, yep

RE: Mavs 87, Thunder 78 - dynamicalVoid - 03-04-2021

Not gonna lie...I prefer more ball movement.  I get that we have a lack of shot creators on the team and that in the playoffs Luka will be handling the ball 40+ minutes a game...but damn it gets boring watching such little ball movement.  Love Luka...incredible talent...but him dribbling the ball into the lane running the equivalent of footballs RPO every possession gets old.   In the playoffs that maybe what has to happen...all 70+ regular season games though?   

On JRich...

Anyone notice how he backs out of driving A LOT?  Other than Luka and Brunson...JRich is the only other guy able to dribble...and he seems good at it...but when he decides to try and drive to the lane....he backs out all the time it seems then passes.  Maybe its me...but he seems like he needs to get over not having a clean lane and just try to take it to the rim.   I dont want him taking it to the rim and attempting a wild layup around 3 defenders either...I like that he backs out if he senses it would be crowded....but I dont think I watch a guy back out of ISO's as much as him.  One the other hand....I see some say they dont like his defense...he seems disruptive with his hands on defense to me.  NBA.com says DFS and Luka are ahead of him in deflections...but he seems to be able to annoy his guy when they are dribbling.  I know there is more to defense than just annoying your guy when he has the ball...he just doesnt seem bad at defense to me.  Maybe you can find another two-way player with more bang for your buck.