MavsBoard
2019-20 Around the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-20 Around the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - Tyler - 12-03-2019

Spurs win after a rare example of the refs recognizing a blatant offensive foul on Harden barreling to the basket for the game winner.  Love it.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - SleepingHero - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 11:19 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Harden has 48 pts, on 11-37 from the field,  4-20 from 3, and 22-22 from the line. 22 freakin FT attempts  !!

Thats why I chuckle whenever someone compares Luka to Harden. 

Harden's ENTIRE game relies on getting to the free throw line. He shoots his head back like he was shot out of a cannon to bait calls, hooks his arm into other people, kicks his legs out. Literally any single way to get to the line.

Harden is a really really good actor. But I have zero respect for him and his game and cannot wait till he goes away.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - Jym - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 11:19 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Harden has 48 pts, on 11-37 from the field,  4-20 from 3, and 22-22 from the line. 22 freakin FT attempts  !!3

And Westbrick ended up with 19 points on 30 shots 
Still say that was a downgrade trade

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - ThunderMav - 12-03-2019

Lol Rox lost so that no called basket cost them a game.  Not even close to making up for the stealing of FTs Harden gets.

(12-03-2019, 11:36 PM)Jym Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 11:19 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Harden has 48 pts, on 11-37 from the field,  4-20 from 3, and 22-22 from the line. 22 freakin FT attempts  !!3

And Westbrick ended up with 19 points on 30 shots 

I don’t think it was a downgrade because CP was never healthy.  Russ adds boards and assists and makes them move faster.  But they weakened the team with all their moves which I think hurts their depth.  And they have to tell Russ to not take 3’s he sux at them.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - DrMav - 12-04-2019

(12-03-2019, 11:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 11:19 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Harden has 48 pts, on 11-37 from the field,  4-20 from 3, and 22-22 from the line. 22 freakin FT attempts  !!

Thats why I chuckle whenever someone compares Luka to Harden. 

Harden's ENTIRE game relies on getting to the free throw line. He shoots his head back like he was shot out of a cannon to bait calls, hooks his arm into other people, kicks his legs out. Literally any single way to get to the line.

Harden is a really really good actor. But I have zero respect for him and his game and cannot wait till he goes away.

Yep. A good part of Luka’s game is getting FTs, but he goes about getting them in entirely different ways.

I think the easiest way to sum it up is Luka is about tricking opponents into actually fouling him, while Harden is about tricking the refs into thinking a foul happened.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - SleepingHero - 12-04-2019

(12-03-2019, 11:36 PM)Jym Wrote: And Westbrick ended up with 19 points on 30 shots 

It was a massive downgrade. Paul is one of the smartest most efficient players of all time. If any ball dominant point guard could work next to Harden it'd be him. With Westbrook, what he lacks in BBIQ he makes up for in hustle. He's pure energy, but makes the dumbest choices. And energy, while makes the game more chaotic, doesn't really elevate what Harden does. 

Still think Harden personally requested Westbrook and wanted Paul to leave because CP3 was being a minor malcontent due to Harden's attitude/approach to winning. Obviously this is pure conjecture, but by just reading the tea leaves it certainly seems like the Rockets tried to pivot because Harden forced their hand.

(12-04-2019, 12:07 AM)DrMav Wrote: I think the easiest way to sum it up is Luka is about tricking opponents into actually fouling him, while Harden is about tricking the refs into thinking a foul happened.

What a perfect summarization. I wish I can make a sticky out of that.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - Reunion Mav Old - 12-04-2019

I really, really like Dr. Mav's summation as well. At least when D. Wade figured out a way to cheat, the League changed the rules that very summer to take his spirit of the game violation away from him. The league does have a rule against baiting the ref. They could call it on Harden on probably half of his free throws. So far they haven't decided to apply it to Harden. I hope that decision comes when we crush them in the play offs.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - cow - 12-04-2019

Harden's and Westbrook's shooting percentages tonight...Jesus.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - khaled1987 - 12-04-2019

Somehow, someway it seems Spurs might still end up in playoffs even when they are currently 12th

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - omahen - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 12:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: It was a massive downgrade. Paul is one of the smartest most efficient players of all time. If any ball dominant point guard could work next to Harden it'd be him. With Westbrook, what he lacks in BBIQ he makes up for in hustle. He's pure energy, but makes the dumbest choices. And energy, while makes the game more chaotic, doesn't really elevate what Harden does. 

Totally agree about the downgrade. Westbrook is a big negative for the team based on his usage. 20 FGA on 40 %, 5 3PA on 22 %, that is just horrible and those rebounds and assists just don't turn it around. Westbrook was terrible for OKC (sorry ThunderMav) and is terrible for Houston. He is a synonim of empty stats that don't lead to winning basketball. I trully hope Houston will not prove me wrong, but IMHO they have absolutely no chance to win it all unless Westbrook completely turns it around. Which he will not. 

In a couple of seasons they managed to turn excellent 3D wings (Ariza, Mbah a Mute) and high IQ floor general (CP3) to Westbrook. Their bench is juts horrible, even when taking into account a couple of injuries. If I was them, I would try to send Westbrook to a star hungry little team for a couple of useful 3-D guys. There is probably only one team star hungry enough and stupid enough to be lured into this. I bet Morris, Ellington and a couple of young pieces would make Hardens Houston look much better.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - Hypermav - 12-04-2019

Melo had 9 6 1 on 2 of 9 shooting.  He is off to another hot start for player of the week.  Tongue

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - ClutchDirk - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 12:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 11:36 PM)Jym Wrote: And Westbrick ended up with 19 points on 30 shots 

It was a massive downgrade. Paul is one of the smartest most efficient players of all time. If any ball dominant point guard could work next to Harden it'd be him. With Westbrook, what he lacks in BBIQ he makes up for in hustle. He's pure energy, but makes the dumbest choices. And energy, while makes the game more chaotic, doesn't really elevate what Harden does. 

Still think Harden personally requested Westbrook and wanted Paul to leave because CP3 was being a minor malcontent due to Harden's attitude/approach to winning. Obviously this is pure conjecture, but by just reading the tea leaves it certainly seems like the Rockets tried to pivot because Harden forced their hand.

(12-04-2019, 12:07 AM)DrMav Wrote: I think the easiest way to sum it up is Luka is about tricking opponents into actually fouling him, while Harden is about tricking the refs into thinking a foul happened.

According to the ultra smart posters at ChokeFans Luka gets no blame for foul hunting while Harden is always being called out for it... Huh

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/harden-vs-doncic-an-interesting-observation.302605/

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - ItsGoTime - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 08:11 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 12:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:

According to the ultra smart posters at ChokeFans Luka gets no blame for foul hunting while Harden is always being called out for it... Huh

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/harden-vs-doncic-an-interesting-observation.302605/

Read the OP and up to halfway through the second page. The fallacy assumed in the theory is that Doncic modeled his whole game after Harden. Sure he studied Harden to develop the aspects of the game they're talking about. His idol is LBJ and he's said he's taken from him a bit. He likes to take the Steph Curry DEEP 3. He rebounds well and gets his team involved as well. The 2 players have similarities, and I will say, I really dislike the "jump into the defender after you have him off the ground" foul, I really believe that should be a non-call, but they are not really all that close as a whole.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - HanspardsShowerVoice - 12-04-2019

Feels like Miami is the Mavs Eastern Conference doppleganger. On pace to win ~60 games, and who is the Heats' 3rd or 4th best player? Chris Silva is now 3rd on their team in PER. They have 1 star and a deep roster full of quirky but limited role guys who are utilized by a smart head coach and a strong analytics staff that exploit the best matchups on a given night.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - fifteenth - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 11:44 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Feels like Miami is the Mavs Eastern Conference doppleganger.  On pace to win ~60 games, and who is the Heats' 3rd or 4th best player?  Chris Silva is now 3rd on their team in PER.    They have 1 star and a deep roster full of quirky but limited role guys who are utilized by a smart head coach and a strong analytics staff that exploit the best matchups on a given night.

Let's have Mavs vs Heat III in June!

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - ThunderMav - 12-04-2019

Agree with this, those 2 players are jacking up bad shot after bad shot.  Harden has been off most of year and gets points on FT line.  Start of year Russ was carrying them but in the last 10 to 12 games his shot is off too.  He still gets assists/boards but the shooting is bad.  Harden is just flat awful on his 3 pointers compared go recent years.  Russ has never been good at them, but in MVP year he made a lot of clutch 3’s.  

Coach does have to tell Russ no more 3’s. As a player its likely hard to not take them when opposing team gives you room intentionally to take them.  He has to resist that temptation.

I like Russ and will always be fond of him in the way Mavs were of Dirk.  But at the same time I think his skills are going downhill.  If he does not adjust his game he will be the scapegoat for Rox if they fail.  But Harden shares blame too.

I don’t want Rox to win a title either.  I want Russ to do well but not Harden.  I’m afraid if they fail Russ gets all the blame tho.  

https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/status/1202260291536347136

I don’t have a sub but for those who do this is likely a good article from the beat writer who covered us at the time:

https://twitter.com/FredKatz/status/1201860114585665536

Soft punch didn’t even phase him

https://twitter.com/HarrisonWind/status/1202082569510146049

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - Davevoid - 12-04-2019

The Rockets are crying about calls equally well off the court as during games...

I mean, sure, not counting that dunk by Harden was pretty egregious, BUT they were up by double-figures at that point AND Harden made a three right after. So yeah, right, the league should just hand them the W retroactively.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - ThunderMav - 12-04-2019

(12-04-2019, 08:55 PM)Davevoid Wrote: The Rockets are crying about calls equally well off the court as during games...

I mean, sure, not counting that dunk by Harden was pretty egregious, BUT they were up by double-figures at that point AND Harden made a three right after. So yeah, right, the league should just hand them the W retroactively.

As bad as it was if they reverse the game it destroys the league.  Then you will have so many teams lobbying for other mistakes costing games.

Instead where is the league regarding firing those refs?  That should be job 1

More good reffing 

https://twitter.com/Jhickness9/status/1202420508018409472

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - Jannemann2 - 12-05-2019

https://twitter.com/SaadYousuf126/status/1202109481154490368

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 - DrMav - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 08:44 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: https://twitter.com/SaadYousuf126/status/1202109481154490368

I will fully support the Rockets being awarded that game if Adam Silver rights the 2006 wrong.