MavsBoard
2019-20 Around the NBA: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2019-20 Around the NBA: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - Jym - 09-17-2020

I'm just still in shock that all we gained with that 30 mil in capspace was Wright who didn't play a major role. 
Seth and Boban were signed with the exceptions. 

I wasn't sad to see Barnes leave because I thought that money would be better used elsewhere but nope. He would have helped a lot more than effectively nothing.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - Mavs2019 - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 01:41 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I think getting rid of Barnes was done to create a leadership void for Luka to fill.  As nice a guy as Barnes seemed to be I think guys get tired of hearing a guy talk who isn't producing on the court.  I don't think it's an accident that we had better team chemistry this past year than we did in any year Barnes was on the team.
I think that had more two do with these two other clowns Robin Hews and Little Jordan.

Barnes is a great professional, which makes it harder to resist overpaying for his average starter playing level.

Barnes 18/4/1 shooting 40/39/83 for $24M (last year with Mavs)
DFS 10/6/2 shooting 47/38/72 for $4M (this year with Mavs)

That´s how you build a winner.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - omahen - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 12:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Hield moves this off-season, for sure. Neither the team nor the player are happy atm.

I think one of them is gone and the other will have more freedom. Bogdanovic has much higher basketball IQ but is not on Doncic level. Hield is out of the charts shooter but Sacramento was actually better with him as sixth man. But he has the potential to evolve to a much better player than Bogi. It will be a very interesting dilemma. Hield might not have much of an market. Would you trade him for Horford and a pick or two? Does that really make them better in a long run? Or it makes more sense to SnT Bogi for a useful player and a pick?

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - KillerLeft - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 01:26 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: They match all offers for Bogdanovic, cause assets are assets. No chance they´ll let him walk. Yogi and Bazemore are out. If I had to make a prediction.
Fox/Joseph
Hield/Bogdanovic
Barnes/Nesmith
Bagley III/Bjelica
Holmes/Giles

Young-ish, but no "new GM cleanhouse"-mode.

I agree with the rest of your analysis (great post) but wanted to remind everyone that Hield hasn't been starting for a while, and it's causing some pretty major issues. He has been noticeably disgruntled about the situation. Unless Walton was fired and I forgot or missed it, it seems clear that Hield is not viewed as a starter there, or as part of the core going forward. 

I really, really think their primary goal will be to move that guy out of town.

(09-17-2020, 02:11 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 12:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think Hield moves this off-season, for sure. Neither the team nor the player are happy atm.

I think one of them is gone and the other will have more freedom. Bogdanovic has much higher basketball IQ but is not on Doncic level. Hield is out of the charts shooter but Sacramento was actually better with him as sixth man. But he has the potential to evolve to a much better player than Bogi. It will be a very interesting dilemma. Hield might not have much of an market. Would you trade him for Horford and a pick or two? Does that really make them better in a long run? Or it makes more sense to SnT Bogi for a useful player and a pick?

I think the same way you do about this, but my gut response upon learning that the new GM is a stats guy makes me feel like he's going to think the way Kamm does. But you make a good point that what you can get for either player will have an effect on which route you choose.

(09-17-2020, 02:11 PM)omahen Wrote:

Well we already know that the old FO offered Bogdanovic 54/4, which he turned down.

Without COVID Hield would have been a decent to good contract. The projected cap growth of $5M per year against a contract declining annually by $2M. Imagine you have a $125M cap and he´s on an expiring $20M. That´s like a virtual last year team option. No problem to move. Now you have a projected $109M cap and $20M becomes a little Eh.

We won´t know the full COVID effects until the first contracts are signed, but I have a hard time seeing Bogdanovic sign for more than 68/4. In that sense it´s a better contract immediately.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - omahen - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 02:40 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: but I have a hard time seeing Bogdanovic sign for more than 68/4

He will have a tough market. Too old for bad teams with cap space. Atlanta might be the only option he could make some sense. If Sacramento rejects to move him by SnT, which team might actually even bother to offer as much as you said? And to be honest, that 68/4 seems a bit rich if I am Dallas. I am not really sold he is a legit starter on a contender. He wants to come to a contender, I would offer onlčy slightly more than original Sacramento offer which was 51,4 mil. So I would offer something in the range of 55/4. I don't see it that unlikely for him to pick his qualifying offer of 10,6 mil and hope for better times in 2021.

(09-17-2020, 02:59 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 02:40 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: but I have a hard time seeing Bogdanovic sign for more than 68/4

He will have a tough market. Too old for bad teams with cap space. Atlanta might be the only option he could make some sense. If Sacramento rejects to move him by SnT, which team might actually even bother to offer as much as you said? And to be honest, that 68/4 seems a bit rich if I am Dallas. I am not really sold he is a legit starter on a contender. He wants to come to a contender, I would offer onlčy slightly more than original Sacramento offer which was 51,4 mil. So I would offer something in the range of 55/4. I don't see it that unlikely for him to pick his qualifying offer of 10,6 mil and hope for better times in 2021.

That´s what I have speculated about. How many players will just sign (bigger) short-term deals in hopes that the market recovers, especially with a shortened 2020/2021 season. It´s so hard to predict what will happen this winter and next summer.

It´s a good thing that we won´t have capspace this winter, because Cuban would most certainly misjudge the market and grossly overpay somebody five days before FA offically starts. *oh sh*t he can still give THJ an 80/4 extension, I´m sorry* Confused

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - StepBackJay - 09-17-2020

The Dwight Powell thing is the biggest head-scratcher of the last several years. The Mavs have been overall disciplined and able to sign their guys to reasonable contracts. Powell was finally going to roll off his last contract where he was overpaid and the Mavs extended him for no discernible reason. It feels like this whole time it's been Cubes' desire to still justify the Rondo trade which turned out so poorly.

Powell had great stats in terms of FG% and whatnot but what we have seen and will continue to see is that a large share of that success belongs to Luka who makes a lot of roll men look amazing. Powell is a good player but there just wasn't ever a reason to overpay for his role which has become marginalized in recent years.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - SleepingHero - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 04:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Dwight Powell thing is the biggest head-scratcher of the last several years. The Mavs have been overall disciplined and able to sign their guys to reasonable contracts. Powell was finally going to roll off his last contract where he was overpaid and the Mavs extended him for no discernible reason. It feels like this whole time it's been Cubes' desire to still justify the Rondo trade which turned out so poorly.

Powell had great stats in terms of FG% and whatnot but what we have seen and will continue to see is that a large share of that success belongs to Luka who makes a lot of roll men look amazing. Powell is a good player but there just wasn't ever a reason to overpay for his role which has become marginalized in recent years.

The only explanation I could come up with is that Cubes, Donnie and Rick all thought Powell was THE 5 to play next to KP. They valued his elite above the rim skills and his elite finishing ability. They felt that KP as a help defender could hide Powell's obvious defensive deficiencies and he's agile enough to guard wings. Put that package together with the fact that Powell is an incredibly smart and by in large a fantastic locker room presence, the Mavs FO felt that they needed to extend him at his current salary. And they probably thought they'd be getting a deal too looking at it from that perspective. 

Once Powell went down and KP moved to the 5, I think they saw their mistake finally. It really opened up this team's offense once KP moved and KP exploded in production (26/11/2 blocks on 50/39/86 in Feb.)

If the Mavs are self-aware, they'd admit Powell was a big mistake. Especially given that he suffered the most lethal injury career-wise for a basketball player. Who's to say Powell has any sort of bounce he once had? I don't think they'd trade him for anyone. But if I was Donnie I'd be trying to find something this summer. 

THJ+Powell+18+31 for Hield+35+43 is one deal I've been ruminating over.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - DanSchwartzgan - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 04:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Dwight Powell thing is the biggest head-scratcher of the last several years. The Mavs have been overall disciplined and able to sign their guys to reasonable contracts. Powell was finally going to roll off his last contract where he was overpaid and the Mavs extended him for no discernible reason. It feels like this whole time it's been Cubes' desire to still justify the Rondo trade which turned out so poorly.

Where is that down vote button when you need it.

(09-17-2020, 04:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

The only explanation I could come up with is that Cubes, Donnie and Rick all thought Powell was THE 5 to play next to KP. They valued his elite above the rim skills and his elite finishing ability. They felt that KP as a help defender could hide Powell's obvious defensive deficiencies and he's agile enough to guard wings. Put that package together with the fact that Powell is an incredibly smart and by in large a fantastic locker room presence, the Mavs FO felt that they needed to extend him at his current salary. And they probably thought they'd be getting a deal too looking at it from that perspective. 

Once Powell went down and KP moved to the 5, I think they saw their mistake finally. It really opened up this team's offense once KP moved and KP exploded in production (26/11/2 blocks on 50/39/86 in Feb.)

If the Mavs are self-aware, they'd admit Powell was a big mistake. Especially given that he suffered the most lethal injury career-wise for a basketball player. Who's to say Powell has any sort of bounce he once had? I don't think they'd trade him for anyone. But if I was Donnie I'd be trying to find something this summer. 

THJ+Powell+18+31 for Hield+35+43 is one deal I've been ruminating over.

As much as I like Powell, I would probably do the proposed deal if Holmes were included and 18 were removed.  The injury probably will take away some portion of Powell's effectiveness.  If Sac really wants to get rid of Heild, then they shouldn't get and effective but expiring Hardaway AND picks (recall it will be challenging to deal current picks and Hardaway as he will probably wait until after the draft to opt-in).  

I think "admit Powell was a big mistake" and then tying KP's emergence to Powell going down is a "big mistake".  There was no rule saying Powell had to be the focal point and KP had to stand in the corner.  They were bringing KP along slowly.  At any point they could have run more plays for KP.  BTW, it isn't like the offense wasn't working with Powell setting the picks and rolling.  Imagine how much more diverse we would be with Luka having both options (thus the interest in Holmes...who is a much better defender than Powell).

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - StepBackJay - 09-17-2020

Powell is virtually untradable at this point unless and until he proves he can come back from the worst injury in basketball. We know the Mavs love him anyway so many it's moot but I just can't see any kind of Powell trade working unless you taking on like CP3-level salary in return.

Just googling around some team like NYK is going to trade for Westbrook:

https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/09/16/this-knicks-rockets-trade-would-split-the-harden-westbrook-duo/2/

We think he's trash but there just aren't enough good players in the league and he is one of them. Morey will trade him somewhere for pieces and then flip those eventually arriving at a roster he likes better around Harden. I don't think there's any reason to blow up their team as long as Harden is there.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - khaled1987 - 09-17-2020

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/259615/Heat-Nearly-Signed-Dorian-Finney-Smith-After-He-Went-Undrafted

Glad we did

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - dirkfansince1998 - 09-17-2020

Mavs need to upgrade the coaching staff. RC is without a doubt one of the best coaches in the league but he is a offensive master mind. He needs a defensive counter part.
Watching the Heat lock down the Celtics with mediocre individual defenders like Dragic, Robinson or Olynyk just shows how important coaching is. Perfectly executed 3-2 zone.
Same on the other end. Boston probably has the best defensive starting five in the league but the way Stevens takes advantage of a player like Smart is really smart Big Grin . Depending on the situation and matchup he uses him as a lockdown on ball defender or free safety. Always trying to involve him in as many on ball actions as possible.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - FunkBoreland - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 08:28 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Mavs need to upgrade the coaching staff. RC is without a doubt one of the best coaches in the league but he is a offensive master mind. He needs a defensive counter part.
Watching the Heat lock down the Celtics with mediocre individual defenders like Dragic, Robinson or Olynyk just shows how important coaching is. Perfectly executed 3-2 zone.
Same on the other end. Boston probably has the best defensive starting five in the league but the way Stevens takes advantage of a player like Smart is really smart Big Grin . Depending on the situation and matchup he uses him as a lockdown on ball defender or free safety. Always trying to involve him in as many on ball actions as possible.

Wish we had Unseld from the Nuggets as that defensive coach assistant. 

Heat's defense been unlock since the start of the playoffs. Not only good defense but good coaching. Spoelstra adjusted after a horrible 1st half cutting off bench players minutes (minus Herro) with only involving the starters.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - ClutchDirk - 09-17-2020

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1306775253377380352

https://media.giphy.com/media/glPSz8shDKeZy/giphy.gif

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - HoosierDaddyKid - 09-17-2020

The Heat are for real. 10-1 in the playoffs and getting great play from Dragic, whose clearly out playing Walker. They play stellar defense, and Bam, cant say enough about him and how he's developed into one of the best 5 men in the league. And those deadly shooters in Herro and Robinson. Crowder is also playing well. I expected Boston to win game 2, but it didn't happen. Besides Denver, the Heat are clearly the surprise team in these playoffs. I didn't see it coming.

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - IamDougieFresh - 09-17-2020

(09-17-2020, 09:09 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1306775253377380352

https://media.giphy.com/media/glPSz8shDKeZy/giphy.gif

Marcus Smart could sit out unless he gets traded to Dallas and Ainge would be like "We'll give you Smart for Luka and two #1s"

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 09-17-2020

someone jog my memory on that clusterfuck of a failed Heat trade this offseason

Heat wanted to send us Dragic right?  But we didn't want his contract so we could go out and lock up Delon Wright?

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - FunkBoreland - 09-17-2020

Wait wutt. . . that happen

RE: Around the NBA 2019-2020 | Clippers choke (hahaha!) - SleepingHero - 09-18-2020

(09-17-2020, 11:04 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: someone jog my memory on that clusterfuck of a failed Heat trade this offseason

Heat wanted to send us Dragic right?  But we didn't want his contract so we could go out and lock up Delon Wright?

https://247sports.com/Article/Dissecting-the-Mavs-embarrassing-failed-trade-with-the-Miami-Heat-133337273/

DLord's article is still up. Miami maintained Dragic was in the deal. Dallas said it was always DJJ and Olynyk *(which wasn't even legal). 

No team ever clarified and the deal just died. One can infer that the Mavs wanted Dragic and DJJ, and the Heat didn't want to send that, so Dallas reneged and then offered up an illegal counter offer. 

I honestly think Dallas had an idea that they could realistically get Danny Green at the time (before we got super strung along) and decided to nuke the deal and not tie up their entire cap, thinking they had bigger plans for the rest of free agency. We all know how that turned out. 

Either way, I was super bummed out. I was so excited for Dragic to be here. He would've been exactly what we needed at the off-guard role.