MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - SleepingHero - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:08 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´ll just say this: You are not doing a good job, if you can only build a team around LeLuka that finishes 7th or worse.

In general I agree but this team is much better than their record as evidence by their net rating and how they've performed the last 2 months.

They played the toughest schedule in the NBA before the break which included that stretch where COVID depleted the entire team, Luka out of shape, and KP out of shape. 

Lets see how they do in the playoffs which is the real test.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - StepBackJay - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:01 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I doubt the Mavs would lose the second game, but that first game I have a really bad feeling about.

I would feel bad ab either just because there is little margin for error.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - ItsGoTime - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:08 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I thought it was 7v10 8v9 as well. It seems like the NBA is really good at coming up with half of a good idea.

I don't think the play in tournament is bad inherently like Cubes (who voted for it so he's a hypocrite), but boy did they really half ass it.
If you had that format then the winners are guaranteed to play 2 games before the playoffs. In the current format, we could only play 1 game and have more time (and rest) to get ready for the second seed. Both ways have their benefits, just a real small margin for error like SBJ said.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - hakeemfaan - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:15 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: In general I agree but this team is much better than their record as evidence by their net rating and how they've performed the last 2 months.

They played the toughest schedule in the NBA before the break which included that stretch where COVID depleted the entire team, Luka out of shape, and KP out of shape. 

Lets see how they do in the playoffs which is the real test.

They also treated b2b as absolutely mandatory for KP to sit. Now Cuban is complaining how this format doesn’t allow teams to rest players and how each game is maximized in importance.  Why complain now when you did not have any qualms about resting players before you find yourself in this situation ?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - cow - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:28 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If you had that format then the winners are guaranteed to play 2 games before the playoffs. In the current format, we could only play 1 game and have more time (and rest) to get ready for the second seed. Both ways have their benefits, just a real small margin for error like SBJ said.

I like my misunderstood idea better.

7v10, 8v9.  2 Game Series.  Lower seeds need to win both games to advance.  So both 7 and 8 could only play 1 game if they took the first in the series.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - khaled1987 - 04-13-2021

Play in tournament ensures less tanking and resting, means more money for the NBA
This season it has worked well actually. 

The real test will be in few years, when team starts realizing that finishing 10th place rarely gets you to play-offs and just ensures you get worse pick, teams will starts tanking earlier than this year etc

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - StepBackJay - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 06:20 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Play in tournament ensures less tanking and resting, means more money for the NBA

The real test will be in few years, when team starts realizing that finishing 10th place rarely gets you to play-offs and just ensures you get worse pick, teams will starts tanking earlier than this year etc

I like it as an anti-tanking measure. I think there will be lots of upsets though because the 9th or 10th team will get 1 shot to take out the 7th or 8th seed. That should happen frequently.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - ItsGoTime - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:37 PM)cow Wrote: I like my misunderstood idea better.

7v10, 8v9.  2 Game Series.  Lower seeds need to win both games to advance.  So both 7 and 8 could only play 1 game if they took the first in the series.
Does that mean the 10 seed gets the 7 seeding in the playoffs if they win and the 9 seed can only get the 8th seed? A bit more complicated IMO that way. 

I understand you would probably say 10 gets the 8th seed and 9 gets 7 because of season seeding, but the way it is, at least the teams get to duke it out for what would be an appropriate spot given the situation. Basically I think there is no 1 way that is “best”. They chose the way it’s gonna go and announced it before the season started. Any crying by the owners now (esp ones that seem to be destined to live it) is really sour grapes!

(04-13-2021, 06:20 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Play in tournament ensures less tanking and resting, means more money for the NBA

Not if the revenue received is worth it.

(04-13-2021, 06:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I like it as an anti-tanking measure. I think there will be lots of upsets though because the 9th or 10th team will get 1 shot to take out the 7th or 8th seed. That should happen frequently.
Drama. America lives off it!

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - cow - 04-13-2021

(04-13-2021, 06:28 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Does that mean the 10 seed gets the 7 seeding in the playoffs if they win and the 9 seed can only get the 8th seed? A bit more complicated IMO that way. 

I understand you would probably say 10 gets the 8th seed and 9 gets 7 because of season seeding, but the way it is, at least the teams get to duke it out for what would be an appropriate spot given the situation. Basically I think there is no 1 way that is “best”. They chose the way it’s gonna go and announced it before the season started. Any crying by the owners now (esp ones that seem to be destined to live it) is really sour grapes!

I didn't think about that but it's a good point.  For simplicity, I'd just say whoever wins the mini-series gets that spot in the playoffs.  I like the core concept anyway as it addresses some of the "why does the regular season" matter concerns.  

I'm not really a fan of the play in idea.  I'd rather the bottom 14 teams in the league have a tournament that determines draft position.  I'm sure there would be some incentive for would-be 7th/8th seeds to tank to get into the draft tournament.  There probably is no perfect solution.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - Aussiebballer - 04-13-2021

So if Dallas finish 7th they still have a chance at getting Cade????? Nice

(04-13-2021, 06:49 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: So if Dallas finish 7th they still have a chance at getting Cade????? Nice
No, but NY does!

(04-13-2021, 06:39 PM)cow Wrote: I didn't think about that but it's a good point.  For simplicity, I'd just say whoever wins the mini-series gets that spot in the playoffs.  I like the core concept anyway as it addresses some of the "why does the regular season" matter concerns.  

I'm not really a fan of the play in idea.  I'd rather the bottom 14 teams in the league have a tournament that determines draft position.  I'm sure there would be some incentive for would-be 7th/8th seeds to tank to get into the draft tournament.  There probably is no perfect solution.
I think for the playin to be legit, the seeds need to be no more than 2 games out from each other. But you can’t plan for that. 

BTW, this brings to mind, why not do something like this for All-Star reserves? 1 on 1 tournament to get a reserve spot. No more talk of all star snubs. If you’re good enough, you win a spot on a team!

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - Aussiebballer - 04-13-2021

Forgot the pick was unprotected, thought it was top 3 for some reason.

(04-13-2021, 07:40 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think for the playin to be legit, the seeds need to be no more than 2 games out from each other. But you can’t plan for that. 

BTW, this brings to mind, why not do something like this for All-Star reserves? 1 on 1 tournament to get a reserve spot. No more talk of all star snubs. If you’re good enough, you win a spot on a team!

1v1 is a different skillset than team basketball.

(04-13-2021, 08:02 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Forgot the pick was unprotected, thought it was top 3 for some reason.
The 23 is protected, not the 21.

(04-13-2021, 08:49 PM)cow Wrote: 1v1 is a different skillset than team basketball.
That was an in jest comment since the NBA is making a big deal about adding more to the playoffs than is already there.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - MFFL - 04-14-2021

(04-13-2021, 04:30 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: They also treated b2b as absolutely mandatory for KP to sit. Now Cuban is complaining how this format doesn’t allow teams to rest players and how each game is maximized in importance.  Why complain now when you did not have any qualms about resting players before you find yourself in this situation ?

Didn't the NBA decide the format before the NBA decided to play games at Xmas instead of later?

I don't think anyone really knew how shitty and compressed this season would be

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - cow - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 12:12 AM)MFFL Wrote: Didn't the NBA decide the format before the NBA decided to play games at Xmas instead of later?

I don't think anyone really knew how shitty and compressed this season would be

Imagine if a COVID outbreak happens on one of the 7th or 8th seeds during the playin tournament.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - omahen - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:16 AM)cow Wrote: Imagine if a COVID outbreak happens on one of the 7th or 8th seeds during the playin tournament.

That is actually a question (also expanded version of the question I provide below) for which there is likely no correct answer and I think NBA just hopes it doesn't happen. 

Exended version: what happens if there is a Covid outbreak within a single team during the playoffs?

Can you postpone games, making basically everyone else wait? Or is the right path to just kick out the unlucky team from playoffs?

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (2.0 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - hakeemfaan - 04-14-2021

(04-14-2021, 03:16 AM)cow Wrote: Imagine if a COVID outbreak happens on one of the 7th or 8th seeds during the playin tournament.

All the leagues have made peace with the fact that, despite their public stances, they don’t give a rat’s rear about the players. How else do you explain the ASG?  The show must go on.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (1.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 15th D | 11th Net - DanSchwartzgan - 04-14-2021

Below is from The Athletic Power Rankings (Mav's fall to 10th).  They also did a Best/Worst Lineup piece.  Strange stuff for Dallas.  It would be interesting to see this post 2/1.

10. Dallas Mavericks (↓Previously 8th), 29-23, +2.2 net rating

Weekly slate: Win over Jazz, Loss at Rockets, Win over Bucks, Loss to Spurs

Good lineup: Jalen Brunson | Tim Hardaway Jr. | Dorian Finney-Smith | Josh Richardson | Kristaps Porzingis
Stats: 130.1 offensive rating | 105.7 defensive rating | +24.4 net rating | 102 minutes played | 2nd most used lineup

Why it’s important: You’ll notice this Mavericks lineup doesn’t have its franchise guy, Luka Doncic, in this lineup. And this group absolutely demolishes opponents who get in their way. Part of this lineup is propaganda for Jalen Brunson being the rightful owner of the 2021 NBA Sixth Man of the Year award. It’s good to see the Mavs don’t just survive without Doncic on the floor, but they can outright dominate with this lineup. It’s encouraging for his minutes in the postseason and leaving him fresh for the end of games.

Bad lineup: Luka Doncic | Tim Hardaway Jr. | Dorian Finney-Smith | Josh Richardson | Kristaps Porzingis
Stats: 108.1 offensive rating | 133.5 defensive rating | -25.4 net rating | 76 minutes played | 3rd most used lineup

Question that arises: It’s absolutely nuts that this lineup with Doncic has performed almost the complete inverse as this lineup with Brunson instead of the franchise player. So I guess the question then becomes, does this mean anything? It might be pandemic-season madness and randomness in these numbers. Or maybe Doncic just needs a bigger lineup than what this provides for him? When you replace Tim Hardaway Jr. with Maxi Kleiber, we see that lineup perform extremely well (+15.2). But for some reason, this combination has been a disaster and the Mavs need to figure out why it can’t score or defend.