MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 24th D | 11th Net - DanSchwartzgan - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 06:06 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1377024851685355520?s=21

Interesting. I wouldn’t hate this.

So, the first thing I tend to do when I see something like this is see who the agent is.  Turns out Robinson is on his sixth agent.  He fired Rich Paul (number 5) just before the season and hired Thad Foucher at Wasserman.  I'm thinking this might be a sign of a maturity issue.  Wasserman represents Delon Wright and both Bogdonovic's.  

If NY goes the RFA route, Robinson will have a similar fact set to Parsons when we got him from Houston.  Houston did the RFA a year early thing and tried to do all of their business before coming back to sign Parsons (and his small cap hold) last.  

Two ways of reading this.  One, this really is about Robinson and somehow someone got a scoop.  Seems doubtful.  The strategy would be better served if Dallas swooped in at the last moment and got Robinson to sign an offer while NY was spending all their cap room elsewhere.  

Or, NY and Dallas are interested in the same player and Dallas is trying to influence NY's cap plan by faking interest in Robinson.

Or, this is made up BS.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 24th D | 11th Net - loki - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 06:55 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Holmes is a guy like Wood last year that guys here will want but Holmes will get a starting job somewhere and he can't get that here.

I think he could start next to KP. He seems to move his feet pretty well on the perimeter, and there are some Kings fans who seem to think he's more a 4.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 24th D | 11th Net - Tyler - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 07:40 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Two ways of reading this.  One, this really is about Robinson and somehow someone got a scoop.  Seems doubtful.  The strategy would be better served if Dallas swooped in at the last moment and got Robinson to sign an offer while NY was spending all their cap room elsewhere.  

Or, NY and Dallas are interested in the same player and Dallas is trying to influence NY's cap plan by faking interest in Robinson.

Or, this is made up BS.

Option 3: Note that the original article is by Marc Berman who has been making a living writing about KP for years. He probably enjoys portraying Dallas as the bad guy in the story stealing away the next NY favorite because 1) everyone in NY hates Dallas, and 2) it implies maybe Dallas isn't happy with KP as their center. That's proven clickbait gold in New York. 

And speaking of KP, I find it interesting that the Berman article seems to be carrying the Knicks water in terms of talking down Robinson in the same way they trashed KP before trading him. Do these sound like the words of a franchise eager to keep their best player?

"The Knicks don’t regard Robinson as a student of the game, but certainly know he loves to play."
"However, Robinson is more injury prone, scouts believe, than most centers..."
"With uncertainty about his durability and offensive versatility, Marks said he would peg an extension at three years, $30 million, tops."
"If the Knicks do exercise the team option and can’t agree to an extension, they can always trade Robinson."

Basically, I read this entire thing as nothing more than several layers of Knick propaganda. Then again, maybe there really is mutual interest between Dallas and Robinson which is why they're already working to burn the bridge in the local NY media early.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/30/mitchell-robinsons-contract-saga-with-knicks-now-seems-clear-cut/

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 24th D | 11th Net - BasketballJones41 - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 07:40 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: So, the first thing I tend to do when I see something like this is see who the agent is.  Turns out Robinson is on his sixth agent.  He fired Rich Paul (number 5) just before the season and hired Thad Foucher at Wasserman.  I'm thinking this might be a sign of a maturity issue.  Wasserman represents Delon Wright and both Bogdonovic's.  

If NY goes the RFA route, Robinson will have a similar fact set to Parsons when we got him from Houston.  Houston did the RFA a year early thing and tried to do all of their business before coming back to sign Parsons (and his small cap hold) last.  

Two ways of reading this.  One, this really is about Robinson and somehow someone got a scoop.  Seems doubtful.  The strategy would be better served if Dallas swooped in at the last moment and got Robinson to sign an offer while NY was spending all their cap room elsewhere.  

Or, this is made up BS.

I agree with everything you said. Probably nothing to it because it seems like a real random time for this to come out.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 8th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 11th O | 24th D | 11th Net - ClutchDirk - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 06:06 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1377024851685355520?s=21

Interesting. I wouldn’t hate this.

Soon we will have every center that has played in NY...

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - ThisIStheYear - 03-31-2021

The Dieng buyout and signing was a hell of a good move by the Spurs. By far the best of the buyout period. Hope the Mavs at least tried to get in on that action, even if they failed.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - Chicagojk - 03-31-2021

(03-31-2021, 09:21 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Dieng buyout and signing was a hell of a good move by the Spurs. By far the best of the buyout period. Hope the Mavs at least tried to get in on that action, even if they failed.

I agree.  I have not seen him play in a while but just by skillset, there could be a strong argument that he would have been a better fit for the Nets than Aldridge.   

It also shows you how deep the Grizzles are.  They have done a real nice job building that team that they couldn't find any time for Dieng in their rotation.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - KillerLeft - 03-31-2021

I'm sure most people have read this, but this, imo, is why we can't blame Donnie or Carlisle for much. If this riveting story paints anything close to an accurate picture, it's pretty clear what the problem is for this franchise:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - omahen - 03-31-2021

(03-31-2021, 03:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm sure most people have read this, but this, imo, is why we can't blame Donnie or Carlisle for much. If this riveting story paints anything close to an accurate picture, it's pretty clear what the problem is for this franchise:

For me it just says page error when I try to read it

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - KillerLeft - 03-31-2021

(03-31-2021, 03:52 PM)omahen Wrote: For me it just says page error when I try to read it

Bummer, man. I'll post some highlights, but they won't really do the entire thing justice. You should really try to find the article. There's so much more to this picture than what's below:

"We're boys. We're friends," Parsons tells ESPN. "Yeah, he was the owner of the team, but I didn't look at him any differently [than other friends]. We did stuff. We enjoyed similar activities off the court. We were friends hanging out."

All the while, they talked shop: The business of running the Mavericks. It wasn't long before Parsons grew to enjoy the rarest of indulgences, normally reserved for long-term superstars: Parsons became a go-to resource on personnel matters, proposing one move after another, some of which became reality.

At one point, Parsons pitched his boss on something bold: Say farewell to high-scoring free agent Monta Ellis, who clashed with Parsons and wore out his welcome with many in the Mavs organization; go all in on recruiting Clippers center DeAndre Jordan, whom Parsons believed could blossom to become the NBA's best big man and would be a perfect fit to play with him.

Patron shots were poured and downed as Cuban, Parsons, Jordan and the big man's family celebrated that morning. Cuban and Parsons kept the party going the rest of the day and night. They headed to Manhattan Beach, where Cuban owns a home, and had a liquid lunch at Shellback Tavern, a favorite Cuban watering hole. Joined by a horde of friends and business acquaintances, they eventually stumbled across Manhattan Beach Boulevard to Strand House.

"Parsons, get out of the street!" a tipsy Cuban hollered during a call-in appearance on Dallas radio station 1310 The Ticket, one of a few interviews that day that led to the league office fining Cuban for violating terms of the NBA's moratorium period.

According to Parsons, the Mavs' owner told him after the season ended that he had productive talks with Fegan and the sides should be able to agree on the parameters of a four-year deal as soon as NBA rules permitted. Asked about this, Cuban again shakes his head.

Cuban's unofficial advisory council -- which includes president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson, Carlisle, head athletic trainer Casey Smith and Nowitzki -- shared a consensus concern about a long-term commitment to Parsons. As free agency approached, team sources say they were unanimous that it'd be a poor business decision to commit a major share of the Mavs' salary cap to Parsons for the next four years because of his knee problems.
Two team sources also cited locker room concerns with Parsons, although those were labeled as "forgivable, fixable things." The primary concern: The fact that Parsons was so close with Cuban and wielded so much power in personnel matters.

"The main reason why I went to Dallas was because I had an owner that was my boy and who believed in me," Parsons says. "That's an awesome combination to have. As my years went on there, I think there was a huge jealousy factor of how cool I was with him, how I had some power and input in decisions that they make. I think that hurt some people's feelings. I think that made them jealous.

"Looking from the outside looking in, I could see how that could rub people the wrong way. My relationship with him -- like, we were so cool, we were so close, I had his ear on a lot of decisions -- I think that ended up biting me in the ass at the end."

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 03-31-2021

It might be blocked outside the US.

Like I said, Cuban is way too involved in personnel decisions like Jerry Jones is.  Not a good thing.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - cow - 03-31-2021

That article was an interesting read, I'd never seen it before.  

The Cuban tip-off point for me was cartoongate with Dwight Howard.  I wouldn't be surprised if Cuban used "I want to draw a cat for you" (a business he invested in during a Shark Tank Season) to pitch future players.  

I'm not going to knock his acumen as a businessman even if I think he got really lucky with Broadcast.com right before the tech bubble burst in 2000 but I don't think he's much a sales person or good at delivering a pitch.  Building a brand and selling vision is something our other, equally flawed, Dallas sports team owner is much, much better at.

(03-31-2021, 06:38 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: It might be blocked outside the US.

Like I said, Cuban is way too involved in personnel decisions like Jerry Jones is.  Not a good thing.

The problem with having the owner make personal decisions in sports is that even in the rare instance that he or she is qualified, which Cuban isn’t, if/when the plans they put in place aren’t successful there is no one to hold accountable. No one is ever going to be able to fire Mark Cuban.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 22nd D | 9th Net - meistermatze - 04-01-2021

Great read, thanks for sharing, killer.

What's the latest on Parsons? WIl he ever play again? I mean he looked pretty much done even before the car crash.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 22nd D | 9th Net - BolsDamols - 04-01-2021

Raising his glass, Cuban told the group at the table that he wasn't sure when or in what role, but his boy Chandler Parsons would be back in Dallas.

https://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - SleepingHero - 04-01-2021

(03-31-2021, 03:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm sure most people have read this, but this, imo, is why we can't blame Donnie or Carlisle for much. If this riveting story paints anything close to an accurate picture, it's pretty clear what the problem is for this franchise:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18059446/chandler-parsons-mark-cuban-bromance-threatened-mavericks

I don't know how I never saw this story.

If McMahon's reporting is all true and there isn't a spin on anything (not saying there is but you never know), then yikes. This is about as damning of a story on Cuban I've ever seen.

Thanks for the great read KL.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 22nd D | 9th Net - fifteenth - 04-01-2021

Hopefully Cuban has sworn off player bromances. Seems like his trials (scandals and law suits) over the past few years might have brought some maturity to the old guy.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 22nd D | 9th Net - ClutchDirk - 04-01-2021

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1377647672258088966

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 22nd D | 9th Net - ItsGoTime - 04-01-2021

(04-01-2021, 11:49 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1377647672258088966
Interesting, I don't think 1.9 points is all that big a deal in that case. At this point, the differential between offense and defense rating is what matters...probably (you statisticians can correct me if I'm wrong).

RE: MAVS NEWS: 7th in West (3.5 gms back of 6th) | 10th O | 23rd D | 9th Net - michaeltex - 04-01-2021

NOT signing Parsons is probably the best personnel decision Cuban ever made. But I get the feel it took Dirk/Donnie/Rick to hold him down and take away the keys.

Kind of like the Cowboys keeping Jerry from drafting Johnny Manziel a few years back.