MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - Kammrath - 01-05-2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLhaz8mNmRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlct1XzTcmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEfl8pdvfFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2SzXC92mdQ

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - DanSchwartzgan - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 10:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/RyanMainville/status/1346478591781965834?s=20

I think this is incredibly insightful.  Starting next to Luka may be less important than total minutes with Luka.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - KillerLeft - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:03 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think this is incredibly insightful.  Starting next to Luka may be less important than total minutes with Luka.

Yeah, THJ basically got Burke's role last night. The results were good. 

Next step: finding a role for Burke.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - ClutchDirk - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, THJ basically got Burke's role last night. The results were good. 

Barea type of role...when nothing else is working toss him in and see what happens...

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - mvossman - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 10:34 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://twitter.com/RyanMainville/status/1346478591781965834?s=20

Yep.  I don't think it matters whether he starts or not, but most (if not all) of his minutes need to be with Luka.  Otherwise he gets it in his head that he needs to create and he reverts to Nick's THJ.  I think this is part of the reason he was a disaster in the Chicago game.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - DanSchwartzgan - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, THJ basically got Burke's role last night. The results were good. 

Or, a role for Green?  Not enough O without KP (thus the need for Burke).  But after KP returns?

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - KillerLeft - 01-05-2021

I know someone will take this the wrong way, but I'll try anyway. This is in no way a plea for less Richardson.

But, I think some of what we're seeing early on this season is the same thing we saw last year with Wright. For whatever reason, a defensive guard who'd clearly rather dribble than shoot doesn't fit this offense like a glove. I think it CAN be worked out, and I think Richardson's quality is worth sticking with it, but I honestly believe the team is working through some tough synergy issues right now, though I can't quite latch onto what's causing them.

If Richardson's defense means that it's time to try THJ on the bench again, I'm all for it, and have been saying so for about a week. However, it's wrong to think the Mavs can succeed without a good contribution from THJ. He doesn't have to shoot 80% from the arc every night, but he needs to have a role and contribute. Shooting is so, so important. 

I also feel that DFS continues to be overlooked by almost everyone. Benching him or reducing his minutes simply isn't the answer, imo. Dude has been a consistent contributor already, doing all the the little things, and when his shot starts falling again he's going to be really, really important.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - Kammrath - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:15 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: DFS continues to be overlooked by almost everyone

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8381060]

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - Tyler - 01-05-2021

These days I'm less interested in who starts than who finishes. for all the fretting about Powell starting, he's currently only 6th on the team in minutes (20) and is usually on the bench to finish halves. Based on playing patterns, I fully expect to see lots of the Luka/JRich/THJ/DFS/KP lineup when it really matters. 

That said, I'm happy to see Dallas mix up the starting lineup because getting off to slow starts is killing them. Personally I'm interested in trying out a WCS/KP frontcourt and capturing the Kleber/Powell chemistry off the bench. One rim runner and one spacer each, with lots of mobile size to give teams problems.

(01-05-2021, 11:40 AM)Tyler Wrote: These days I'm less interested in who starts than who finishes

I generally agree....but the starts have been so bad with that group that it is hamstringing the whole arc of games IMO. The change was massively needed.

(01-05-2021, 11:10 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Barea type of role...when nothing else is working toss him in and see what happens...

(01-05-2021, 11:10 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Or, a role for Green?  Not enough O without KP (thus the need for Burke).  But after KP returns?

On a team so desperate for playmakers and even players who can create shots for only themselves, I just can't imagine either of the comments above are the way to go. If I'm Carlisle, I'm desperately trying to recreate the circumstances that led to Burke's bubble-style contributions. That player was BETTER than Seth Curry. Like, a LOT better. We haven't seen him yet, but Burke also hasn't been terrible. He's an underrated defender, too. 

BTW, I think the need for offensive creators will still be present after KP comes back.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - RDB - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:51 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: On a team so desperate for playmakers and even players who can create shots for only themselves, I just can't imagine either of the comments above are the way to go. If I'm Carlisle, I'm desperately trying to recreate the circumstances that led to Burke's bubble-style contributions. That player was BETTER than Seth Curry. Like, a LOT better. We haven't seen him yet, but Burke also hasn't been terrible. He's an underrated defender, too. 

BTW, I think the need for offensive creators will still be present after KP comes back.
I agree...Bubble Burke will probably never be consistent enough to be counted on regularly but with our team that shouldn’t be a requirement or expectation.  Even Bubble Burke lite would be a valuable contributor.

I also think you are spot on regarding the need for another creator even after KP returns.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - cow - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:15 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I also feel that DFS continues to be overlooked by almost everyone. Benching him or reducing his minutes simply isn't the answer, imo. Dude has been a consistent contributor already, doing all the the little things, and when his shot starts falling again he's going to be really, really important.

You take that back.  He's my favorite player.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - MaxiThreeba - 01-05-2021

Starters: KP-Maxi-DFS-JRich-Luka

2nd Unit: WCS-Johnson-THJ-Burke-Brunson

Finishers: Luka, KP, JRich, and two of Maxi, DFS and THJ.

Powell in the JJ role just different position. If the wheels are falling off then Powell goes in and we just run PnR with him until his energy gets Mavs back in it or they lose by 50. Gives DP more time to work himself back and if the bunnies return for him then great

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - Jason Terry - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 05:20 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Starters: KP-Maxi-DFS-JRich-Luka

2nd Unit: WCS-Johnson-THJ-Burke-Brunson

Finishers: Luka, KP, JRich, and two of Maxi, DFS and THJ. 

Powell in the JJ role just different position.  If the wheels are falling off then Powell goes in and we just run PnR with him until his energy gets Mavs back in it or they lose by 50.  Gives DP more time to work himself back and if the bunnies return for him then great
I like it. Makes sense to split up Maxi and Hardaway. They’re both 2 of our best 3pt shooters so one  Is needed for bench scoring. Both are streaky and depending on game script we can just roll with the hot hand like last night. Good things ahead for the boys in green and blue

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - SleepingHero - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:15 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I also feel that DFS continues to be overlooked by almost everyone.

I've been wholly okay with DFS defensive performance and his effort. He's usually always hustling after rebounds or trying to defend. 

But what I'm not okay with is how many wide open 3s he fucking misses. I swear I'm going to yank my hair out by the end of the year if he keeps this up.

(01-05-2021, 06:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been wholly okay with DFS defensive performance and his effort. He's usually always hustling after rebounds or trying to defend. 

But what I'm not okay with is how many wide open 3s he fucking misses. I swear I'm going to yank my hair out by the end of the year if he keeps this up.

Dude needs to start hitting some shots, no doubt.

RE: MAVS NEWS: RC says THJ to bench so team could get "bigger and more physical" - sefant - 01-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 11:15 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I also feel that DFS continues to be overlooked by almost everyone. Benching him or reducing his minutes simply isn't the answer, imo. Dude has been a consistent contributor already, doing all the the little things, and when his shot starts falling again he's going to be really, really important.
Defense is always overlooked. THJ and Luka deserved all the credit for the Rockets game, but they also won because they did a more than solid job on Harden. And DFS was the primary defender on Harden for most of the poss. JRich was mainly on Wall.

https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1194987156160147456

Older tweet, but nothing has changed regarding that. Zach Lavine is a bit surprising, but DFS has always been good on Harden. Certainly one of the better Harden defenders in the league Cool

Zach LaVine, huh? Very interesting.

(01-05-2021, 08:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Zach LaVine, huh?

I'm like.... you SURE that isn't a misprint?!?