MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - ItsGoTime - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 10:56 AM)omahen Wrote: But it was you who said they are not moving KP Smile
No, that was Bob, please keep up!!!  Wink

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Tyler - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 09:51 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: some interesting comments by Nico

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comments/oli4ys/nico_harrison_on_front_office_structure_bob/

On how KP was utilized by Carlisle: "With Jason it's going to be completely different."

However you feel about KP, I sorta love that approach. We know the Unicorn has a ton of talent, and whatever Dallas was doing with him wasn't working. So change it. The best outcome by far is for Kidd to simply make KP the player we envisioned when he arrived. Success on the court will solve all problems.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - omahen - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:04 AM)Tyler Wrote: However you feel about KP, I sorta love that approach. We know the Unicorn has a ton of talent, and whatever Dallas was doing with him wasn't working. So change it. The best outcome by far is for Kidd to simply make KP the player we envisioned when he arrived. Success on the court will solve all problems.

That is all fine. The problems I have - is maximizing KP same as maximizing the team? Because what is wrong with the statement - KP was used best way to help the team? It is team success we want, not maximize KP stats. RC couldn't maximize both - whether it was his or KP fault remains to be seen. Of course it will be interesting to see if Kidd can do it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - VintagePejav2 - 07-16-2021

From Marc Stein’s newsletter:

The most likely scenario, league sources say, remains Leonard opting out to re-sign with the Clippers — or, in Steve Ballmer’s worst nightmare, to shock the league by signing elsewhere. Leonard’s well-known affinity for Southern California has led various rival front offices to presume that he would have no interest in switching teams for the third time, but the notion that Leonard is unattainable seems to be waning a bit as the Aug. 2 start of free agency nears.

Dallas, just to name one expected suitor, will not be dissuaded from pursuing Leonard even if he’s forced to miss all of next season, league sources say. Leonard’s situation is frequently likened to Kevin Durant’s free agency in 2019 after Durant had sustained a torn Achilles tendon in the Finals. Brooklyn furnished Durant with a four-year, $164 million deal as part of a sign-and-trade with Golden State, with the Nets knowing they would have to play a whole season without him. Even at 30 and with a worrisome injury history, Leonard appears capable of generating similar interest.”

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - omahen - 07-16-2021

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1416051227142639621?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1416051227142639621%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Mavs2021 - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:09 AM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: From Marc Stein’s newsletter:

The most likely scenario, league sources say, remains Leonard opting out to re-sign with the Clippers — or, in Steve Ballmer’s worst nightmare, to shock the league by signing elsewhere. Leonard’s well-known affinity for Southern California has led various rival front offices to presume that he would have no interest in switching teams for the third time, but the notion that Leonard is unattainable seems to be waning a bit as the Aug. 2 start of free agency nears.

Dallas, just to name one expected suitor, will not be dissuaded from pursuing Leonard even if he’s forced to miss all of next season, league sources say. Leonard’s situation is frequently likened to Kevin Durant’s free agency in 2019 after Durant had sustained a torn Achilles tendon in the Finals. Brooklyn furnished Durant with a four-year, $164 million deal as part of a sign-and-trade with Golden State, with the Nets knowing they would have to play a whole season without him. Even at 30 and with a worrisome injury history, Leonard appears capable of generating similar interest.”

Leonard scares the living sh*t out of me. That situation is in no way comparable to Durant´s injury history. Maybe the crazy going on in their heads is comparable. The ultmate benefit I see is that it would vault us to the top of the destination charts and we might get a Lillard, Lavine or disgruntled star player X out of it as a bonus.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Tyler - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:07 AM)omahen Wrote: It is team success we want, not maximize KP stats. RC couldn't maximize both - whether it was his or KP fault remains to be seen.

The thing I keep coming back to is the way Carlisle would defend the way he was using KP by insisting that the analytics say that post-ups are a bad shot. In retrospect, that sounds to me like he and Voulgaris were on the same page about a certain way to structure the offense for efficiency. But there are other ways to build an offense, too, and they're not necessarily worse. Just different. There are multiple ways to win games.

I do think that at some point you do have to fit the offense to the players, because if you only treat people like entries on a spreadsheet you're going to run them off. The Nico and Kidd hires were clearly about making Dallas a more desirable destination, and based on what they're saying so far I'm willing to bet a reemphasis on player development over pure system efficiency is part of the plan.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - ItsGoTime - 07-16-2021

It was said that RC didn’t like people getting comfortable. Maybe he needed to be less comfortable himself?

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Chicagojk - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:26 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Leonard scares the living sh*t out of me. That situation is in no way comparable to Durant´s injury history. Maybe the crazy going on in their heads is comparable. The ultmate benefit I see is that it would vault us to the top of the destination charts and we might get a Lillard, Lavine or disgruntled star player X out of it as a bonus.

Me too.   First, no one will know what Leonard is thinking.  If you get a meeting with him, you will be going in blind not sure if he has made a decision yet.  Then you will need to wait for that decision.   Add to the fact he has left two well run organizations already and if you count the Clippers that could be #3 if he leaves.  For a guy who never talks, he certainly has a lot of drama.  

In past years I never put much stock on all the rumors of the players the Mavs were tied to.   Now with the new information this summer, it certainly appears the Mavs are like a dog sniffing every free agent's butt.   They seem all over the place.

I am hoping for a more detailed plan for the offseason, not throwing a tons of balls in the air and hope they catch one.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Chicagojk - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 10:40 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Thibs made everybody in NYC look like a good defensive player, including Noel himself.

I like Noel next to Porzingis, because he is a free-roaming disruptive fast (help) defender, which is actually what we need. It is something that Carlisle could never accept and was never willing to accomodate in his idea of strict positional defense. But that is Noel´s biggest strength. Plus he should be very affordable.

I think Noel would be the PF in those line-ups. KP would be the rim protector. Noel will be asked to cover the nominal (stretch) four and provide the help defense to Porzingis. It´s bascially the cheaper version of what I envisioned Jarrett Allen/Porzingis could have been.

It is an interesting direction to think about. I agree that the game is different than 2011 and finding a good fit with KP is difficult.   

Going into the offseason, I wanted an elite ball creator plus another 3 and D wing.   Third on my list was a more defensive interior presence.   Ideally I would want someone who could score some too.  Right now, if KP is out or injured, we have no one to create points by themselves in the front court.    But, I don't see an ideal fit....especially with the price I want to spend.   Noel would provide the defensive presence though plus being a lob threat.    He is going to cost probably the MLE though.  It is something interesting to think about.   I just want someone who isn't finesse inside.   Noel may not be extremely physical but would be an upgrade in that dept over our current options.  

We don't have the cap room but I was thinking a Derozan, Danny Green, Noel offseason would be interesting.    I think you would need to choose between Danny Green(or comparable) and Noel and not both though....unless you moved some salary.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - haveitall - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:27 AM)Tyler Wrote: The thing I keep coming back to is the way Carlisle would defend the way he was using KP by insisting that the analytics say that post-ups are a bad shot. In retrospect, that sounds to me like he and Voulgaris were on the same page about a certain way to structure the offense for efficiency. But there are other ways to build an offense, too, and they're not necessarily worse. Just different. There are multiple ways to win games.

I do think that at some point you do have to fit the offense to the players, because if you only treat people like entries on a spreadsheet you're going to run them off. The Nico and Kidd hires were clearly about making Dallas a more desirable destination, and based on what they're saying so far I'm willing to bet a reemphasis on player development over pure system efficiency is part of the plan.

Exactly.  If he is a good post up player and that gets him into rhythm then it doesn't matter what the numbers say.  The gameplan should revolve around the players not the other way around.

(07-16-2021, 11:27 AM)Tyler Wrote: The thing I keep coming back to is the way Carlisle would defend the way he was using KP by insisting that the analytics say that post-ups are a bad shot. In retrospect, that sounds to me like he and Voulgaris were on the same page about a certain way to structure the offense for efficiency. But there are other ways to build an offense, too, and they're not necessarily worse. Just different. There are multiple ways to win games.

My biggest question about last year and Carlisle is this.   Every other year with Carlisle I felt he made the whole of the team better than its parts.    This past year I felt the only option we had was for Luka to go superstar mode.   Our team was pretty decent when Luka was out the year prior.

I don't know if this was due to KP not being the level he was previously.  Did the lack of practice really hurt the team?  I know every team did not practice a lot, but maybe it impacted a control freak Carlisle more than others.  

Although for the first time last year, I didn't think he made the whole of the team better than its parts.  Just really weird.

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1416097004652990474

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - mvossman - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 11:50 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is an interesting direction to think about. I agree that the game is different than 2011 and finding a good fit with KP is difficult.   

Going into the offseason, I wanted an elite ball creator plus another 3 and D wing.   Third on my list was a more defensive interior presence.   Ideally I would want someone who could score some too.  Right now, if KP is out or injured, we have no one to create points by themselves in the front court.    But, I don't see an ideal fit....especially with the price I want to spend.   Noel would provide the defensive presence though plus being a lob threat.    He is going to cost probably the MLE though.  It is something interesting to think about.   I just want someone who isn't finesse inside.   Noel may not be extremely physical but would be an upgrade in that dept over our current options.  

We don't have the cap room but I was thinking a Derozan, Danny Green, Noel offseason would be interesting.    I think you would need to choose between Danny Green(or comparable) and Noel and not both though....unless you moved some salary.

I am warming up to the idea of Noel starting at power forward to help offset some of KP defensive limitations (assuming we are going to keep KP).  That would mean the rest of the lineup would need to be able to space the floor.  Don't think you would want DeRozan with Noel.  Conley or Ball would probably make more sense.  If DeRozan is the route we go, Green would be my pick to go with him.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Kammrath - 07-16-2021

RE: Nico & KP & RC

We are going to find out REAL quick a couple things:

1) If Nico really believes that KP was being misused. Because if he does, then he will KEEP KP and roll into the season with him.

2) If the Mavs KEEP KP, then we will quickly see how much RC used him properly or misused him.  

NOTE: I am really surprised (though not sure I should be) how much RC is basically being scapegoated in all this. He is an easy scapegoat in all this, but we should learn real quick whether RC was the problem or not. RC's Mavs legacy could take a massive jump or hit depending on what unfolds in the next 6+ months.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 07-16-2021

He was the head coach for the only title this team has won.  His legacy here is secure.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - Kammrath - 07-16-2021

(07-16-2021, 01:29 PM)mvossman Wrote: I am warming up to the idea of Noel starting at power forward to help offset some of KP defensive limitations (assuming we are going to keep KP).

Going back to his time in NYK, KP has been better with a traditional center next to him. 

It will be interesting to see if the Mavs go back to that if they keep him.

(07-16-2021, 02:03 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: His legacy here is secure.

He is at least a one-hit-wonder.... one-hit-wonder That is secure and everyone is grateful (like we are to the other great one-hit wonder "Rick" Astley). Question of whether he is MORE is to be determined. 

So again, his legacy could either JUMP or take a HIT depending on what unfolds.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 07-16-2021

No I dont think what happens after he is gone is going to change his legacy one bit.  Maybe in your mind but not in the real world.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL interested in Collins | Igor Kokosov to join staff? - fifteenth - 07-16-2021

I think what Rick does with the Pacers will impact his legacy more than what KP does with the rest of his career.