MavsBoard
2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2020-2021 MAVS NEWS: Archived (/showthread.php?tid=677)

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - ThisIStheYear - 07-11-2021

(07-11-2021, 03:30 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Luka happy to see Mosley get a HC gig. Still no love for elite coach Carlisle? Que pasa El Matador?

https://twitter.com/luka7doncic/status/1414253360702705669?s=21

Maybe Luka is just tweeting what he thinks.  Mosley is his guy, so Luka’s giving him some support. Personally, I think he’s a better coach than Kidd, who really has made some of the most head scratching decisions in my memory.  But, on the other hand, it might be good that Luka’s not being coached by “his guy.”  We’ll see.  One thing for certain, the pressure is really on the Mavs. They have no room for error in their decision making now, including with the coach.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - Aussiebballer - 07-11-2021

I am wondering if the Mavs should of had a seperate press conference with Kidd, Cuban and Cynthia to address Kidds history.
They could get all the questions out of the way.
If they play the press conference like Portland it will turn into a major shit show.
Get it all out of the way now so the team can concentrate on playing.
Obviously Kidd has had 15 years to work on his past problems and improve as a person and partner.
Just answer the questions honest, show some respect and that he has worked on it.

Don’t want this dragging on into the season and being a distraction.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-11-2021

(07-11-2021, 04:02 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Hey it can´t hurt to have Mosley in Orlando, who have many interesting pieces. Maybe Mosley really likes THJ and quickly you get Ross/Bamba or something around Porzingis. Maybe there is even a player that likes Carlisle and would be happy to go to Indiana. Big Grin

Mosley doesn't decide who gets to stay or who leaves. That's up to the Magic front office. His job is to make whatever moves they make work. He's got 4 years to do it.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - KillerLeft - 07-11-2021

(07-11-2021, 07:44 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: I am wondering if the Mavs should of had a seperate press conference with Kidd, Cuban and Cynthia to address Kidds history.

The press conference, which has been reported to include Marshall and Kidd (and Cuban, I assume) is scheduled for July 15th. No idea why they waited so long.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - Mavs2021 - 07-11-2021

(07-11-2021, 09:57 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Mosley doesn't decide who gets to stay or who leaves. That's up to the Magic front office. His job is to make whatever moves they make work. He's got 4 years to do it.

Yeah I´m sure it has no impact that he has insider knowledge about Mavs players (positive and negative), when they come up in free agency/trade discussions.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - SleepingHero - 07-12-2021

(07-11-2021, 10:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The press conference, which has been reported to include Marshall and Kidd (and Cuban, I assume) is scheduled for July 15th. No idea why they waited so long.

To prepare and to make sure that the similar Billups situation was at least 5 news cycles behind before they went to the press.

Hopefully the 15th comes and goes without any added drama.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - omahen - 07-12-2021

Perhaps not everything was so bad behind the scenes. Quote: 

Carlisle has watched the video of that postgame merriment many times and loves it. Carlisle sent the footage to Magic president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman and general manager John Hammond as the Magic conducted their search for a new head coach.

https://theathletic.com/2701233/2021/07/11/orlando-magic-hire-jamahl-mosley/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - Kammrath - 07-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 05:37 AM)omahen Wrote: Perhaps not everything was so bad behind the scenes.

Perhaps.....perhaps RC trying to atone for how he handled somethings. It can all be true.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - Chicagojk - 07-12-2021

(07-09-2021, 11:08 PM)Tyler Wrote: A lot of people forgot about Terry last season because of all the missed time. Out of sight, out of mind. But I'm personally still pretty stoked about him and am excited to see what he can do with a fresh start.

Tyrell has been working with Tylerrelph10 (instagram handle).   I have liked watching his feed.  He has a lot of athletes he is working with (Julius Randle, RJ Hampton, Caulie Stein, etc).   He also appears to work out a lot of college and HS athletes.  Most of the clips are very short, but you can still see how good these guys are and how good you need to be to make the NBA.   

I mean Randle is 6'9 and built like a truck and shot 40% from three this year.  Seeing him workout you wonder how anyone can stop him.  Even the HS kids look really, really good.

One more thing, I noticed Isaiah Austin is playing in the Big3 tournament.    He has also played overseas.  Is he still not allowed to play in the NBA?  Does he have any interest in trying to play in the NBA after his diagnosis?  If he is allowed to play and wants to try, why not bring him to your summer league team?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMkbj8FiPx/

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - Mavs2021 - 07-12-2021

(07-12-2021, 09:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Tyrell has been working with Tylerrelph10 (instagram handle).   I have liked watching his feed.  He has a lot of athletes he is working with (Julius Randle, RJ Hampton, Caulie Stein, etc).   He also appears to work out a lot of college and HS athletes.  Most of the clips are very short, but you can still see how good these guys are and how good you need to be to make the NBA.   

I mean Randle is 6'9 and built like a truck and shot 40% from three this year.  Seeing him workout you wonder how anyone can stop him.
  Even the HS kids look really, really good.

One more thing, I noticed Isaiah Austin is playing in the Big3 tournament.    He has also played overseas.  Is he still not allowed to play in the NBA?  Does he have any interest in trying to play in the NBA after his diagnosis?  If he is allowed to play and wants to try, why not bring him to your summer league team?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMkbj8FiPx/
I wonder how he does it right under the Mavs nose and they don´t know. Gosh I hope the new MBT is not as lazy as the old one.

RJ Hampton is a Dallas native, too. Feels like half the league is from Dallas or going to college there. Somehow the Mavs still cry about having no competitive advantage. These kids are growing up in their own backyard for most of their formative basketball years and the Mavs still can´t figure out the draft.

At least got to feel good about Terry getting some good development this summer.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-12-2021

(07-11-2021, 10:55 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah I´m sure it has no impact that he has insider knowledge about Mavs players (positive and negative), when they come up in free agency/trade discussions.

I'm not saying he doesn't. He'll have the ability I'm sure to make suggestions and add his input.  I'm saying he won't make the final call. That's up to Hennigan and Hammond. That's all I'm saying...

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - Kammrath - 07-13-2021

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1414954932675940354

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-13-2021

(07-13-2021, 09:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1414954932675940354

Miami?  Don't really see the fit there, but I digress.

RE: MAVS NEWS: Sean Sweeney to be asst coach | JJB to be asst coach - VintagePejav2 - 07-13-2021

(07-13-2021, 09:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1414954932675940354

Across the league, many believe Hawks forward/center John Collins increased his value as a maximum contract-caliber player during Atlanta’s run to the Eastern Conference finals. In 18 postseason games, Collins averaged 13.9 points, 8.7 rebounds and 35.7 percent 3-point shooting.

Dallas, Miami, San Antonio and Minnesota are among the teams expected to show interest in Collins, believing he could be attainable as a restricted free agent, sources said. Hawks owner Tony Ressler said after the season that he hoped the team reached a “fair agreement” with Collins. Will the sides find that threshold?”

In the article, it has a big section on Ben Simmons being available in trade talks (no other teams mentioned), Collin Sexton being available (Knicks), and Lonzo Ball being attainable with a big offer (Bulls and Clippers).

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL expected to show interest in RFA John Collins - Kammrath - 07-13-2021

[Image: E6LvLweXoAIffqb?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL expected to show interest in RFA John Collins - Kammrath - 07-13-2021

If I am the Mavs, there is no way I let JC get away, so to speak. 

I think JC has just scratched the surface and has top 20-30 NBA player potential. 
  • He is 23. 
  • He has legit two-way potential (I think he can be a completely switchable defender with more experience). 
  • He is extremely athletic. 
  • He has the right build for the current NBA style of play.
  • He can shoot and is a three level scorer (inside, mid range, and three). 
  • He is willing to be a team player. 

I 100% think he is a max worthy player. I expect him to make a huge leap in a new situation, like Brogdon did moving from MIL to IND.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL expected to show interest in RFA John Collins - SleepingHero - 07-13-2021

(07-13-2021, 10:18 AM)Kammrath Wrote: If I am the Mavs, there is no way I let JC get away, so to speak. 

John Collins is going to be ATL's to lose and the Mavs don't really have a say. Even if the Mavs threw a max at Collins and offered Maxi+DFS+whatever as a trade compensation, ATL can just match and wait for a trade package that they really want.

I like Collins. Going after him would be a huge risk this offseason. His RFA status makes him like a superstar player that will guarantee wait at least 3 days in free agency. That's not an insignificant amount of time.

(07-13-2021, 11:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: John Collins is going to be ATL's to lose and the Mavs don't really have a say. Even if the Mavs threw a max at Collins and offered Maxi+DFS+whatever as a trade compensation, ATL can just match and wait for a trade package that they really want.

I said "so to speak" to highlight I was just using a figure of speech. I am well aware that ATL controls JC 100%. 

However, I think ATL is already hedging on bringing him back and he can be had for either a max offer OR the right trade offer. Waiting on the offer sheet sucks, but the Mavs should have a good idea going in whether ATL's intention is to match or not.

RE: MAVS NEWS: DAL expected to show interest in RFA John Collins - SleepingHero - 07-13-2021

(07-13-2021, 11:17 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I said "so to speak" to highlight I was just using a figure of speech. I am well aware that ATL controls JC 100%. 

I understand but the mindset that the Mavs have any sort of agency at all in this situation is a faulty one. 

(07-13-2021, 11:17 AM)Kammrath Wrote: However, I think ATL is already hedging on bringing him back and he can be had for either a max offer OR the right trade offer. Waiting on the offer sheet sucks, but the Mavs should have a good idea going in whether ATL's intention is to match or not.

I agree that Collins is "available" in the sense that ATL doesn't want to overpay. I'm starting to question whether the obstacles the Mavs have to overcome to sign him are worth it for a player the level of Collins. 

1) Guaranteed max contract for Collins. Already a risky overpay given that he's never made an all-star team and his potential to make one in the future (Im using all-star appearances as a standard of measurement basically saying are you one of the best 25 guys in the league that year?)
2) Having to wait with no assurances he'll even come, tying up your cap. It's basically all or nothing John Collins at that stage and no point of return. I suppose if you're 100% committed to Collins and that plan, then this isn't much of a downfall. But I'm starting to worry more and more having close to 60+ mil tied of the team salary tied up into 2 bigs who's fit isn't seamless.

(07-13-2021, 11:37 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I understand but the mindset that the Mavs have any sort of agency at all in this situation is a faulty one. 

They DO have agency. The agency to offer JC a max contract OR the agency to make ATL a trade offer "they can't refuse." The Mavs have agency to be aggressive in pursuit...they don't have CONTROL over what ATL chooses to do, but they do have agency to pursue aggressively.