MavsBoard
Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL (/showthread.php?tid=2442)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - KillerLeft - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 04:38 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Next tier is "improbable but in demand"

7. Kelly Oubre, SF, Charlotte: Oubre is still out with a torn ligament in his left hand, but the athletic wing would rocket to the top of this list if the Hornets gave him his wings. That seems unlikely, as his Bird rights are likely much more valuable than whatever they could save in a buyout.

8. Curry
9. Love
10. C Joseph
11. Dragic
12. T Yound
13. Nunn
14. DAJ

Loads of stuff I'd want on this list.

(02-10-2023, 04:40 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Next tier is "guys you've heard of"

15. Rose
16. Barton
17. Ross

Would take any of these three.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - vfromlmf - 02-10-2023

Last tier is "some other possibilities"

18. Noel
19. Justin Holiday, SF, Houston: A steady 3-and-D wing in years past, Holiday seemed to lose some athletic juice over the past two seasons — as most easily seen in his shocking 3.0 percent rebound rate this season. He fell out of Atlanta’s rotation like a rock dropped from a plane, playing a grand total of 10 minutes since New Year’s Day. However, he can still shoot it (36.4 percent career from 3), never gets hurt and is a plus locker room guy, so perhaps a contender needing a fifth wing will take a look.

20. Dedmon
21. Ibaka
22. Terry Taylor aka "power guard"
23. Knox
24. Boban

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - Scott41theMavs - 02-10-2023

I know he doesn't fit our current needs in any way, shape, or form, but I love me some Seth.

I can't believe there aren't more people excited about this. This will be like a mini-preview of what it might be like to have cap space somewhere down the line with Luka in his prime. 

Part of me really just wants to see if Kyrie, Luka, Harrison and Kidd are really the draw I think they might be in the subculture.

(02-10-2023, 04:43 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Last tier is "some other possibilities"

18. Noel
19. Justin Holiday, SF, Houston: A steady 3-and-D wing in years past, Holiday seemed to lose some athletic juice over the past two seasons — as most easily seen in his shocking 3.0 percent rebound rate this season. He fell out of Atlanta’s rotation like a rock dropped from a plane, playing a grand total of 10 minutes since New Year’s Day. However, he can still shoot it (36.4 percent career from 3), never gets hurt and is a plus locker room guy, so perhaps a contender needing a fifth wing will take a look.

20. Dedmon
21. Ibaka
22. Terry Taylor aka "power guard"
23. Knox
24. Boban

I thought I saw that Boban re-upped with the Rockets.

(02-10-2023, 04:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think it's gonna be R. Jackson

2. Reggie Jackson, PG, Charlotte: Jackson turns 33 in April, and his shooting has gone sideways the past two seasons. Asking him to be a volume shot creator probably will result in disappointment, but he’s still an upgrade on several of the backup point guards getting minutes around the league. Milwaukee is a rumored hot spot for him.

(02-10-2023, 04:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can't believe there aren't more people excited about this. This will be like a mini-preview of what it might be like to have cap space somewhere down the line with Luka in his prime. 

Part of me really just wants to see if Kyrie, Luka, Harrison and Kidd are really the draw I think they might be in the subculture.

The perpetual Mavs pessimist in me says "Of course they aren't," but I'd love to be proven wrong.

(02-10-2023, 04:45 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 9. Justin Holiday, SF, Houston: A steady 3-and-D wing in years past, Holiday seemed to lose some athletic juice over the past two seasons — as most easily seen in his shocking 3.0 percent rebound rate this season. He fell out of Atlanta’s rotation like a rock dropped from a plane, playing a grand total of 10 minutes since New Year’s Day. However, he can still shoot it (36.4 percent career from 3), never gets hurt and is a plus locker room guy, so perhaps a contender needing a fifth wing will take a look.

Sold, if they can't get anyone better!

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - Chicagojk - 02-10-2023

Is Saric planning on getting bought out? I thought he would be kept by OKC.

(02-10-2023, 04:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Is Saric planning on getting bought out?

5. Dario Saric, PF, Oklahoma City: ”The Homie” looked washed in November but played some of his best basketball in January, to the point that I was mildly surprised Phoenix included him in a salary dump. It’s not clear if the Thunder will waive him or keep him; they love playing with small-ball fives, and Šarić could fit nicely in that structure.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - DallasMaverick - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 01:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I guess it's too early to tell for sure, but I'd temper your hopes on that one. 

I can't remember who said it first, @"mvossman" or @"DanSchwartzgan", but it seems clear that LUKA will be the defensive 4 a LOT for the rest of this season, and the pairings they probably have in mind at the 4/5 are Luka/Powell, Luka/Kleber and Kleber/Wood. 

I don't think he starts another game, and think any chance of him ever closing one ends when Kleber comes back. Could be wrong.

Maybe it depends on how he plays.

(02-10-2023, 05:15 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Maybe it depends on how he plays.

Oh, of course it does! 

Do you think he's about to radically exceed what the coaches have come to expect from him after half a season? I guess it's possible. 

But, I still think Luka playing the 4 spot on defense (which at this point, is a given) is going to close the window of opportunity for him significantly.

Interesting from Hollinger's note about Justin Holiday... "maybe a good option for a playoff team in need of a fifth wing."

Got me thinking ... who is Dallas' fourth wing? 

I see Green, Bullock, THJ and all are 6' 5-6" ish ... Kleber is a big who can guard wings. 

After that you're probably looking at Ntilikina ... in fact, unless Kidd is ready to commit to our talented but raw rookie, Frank is maybe 9th on the depth chart!

I've long thought Ntilikina was miscast as a PG and often wondered if he could develop into a poor man's DFS. He already defends as well or better than Dorian, at least as far as I can tell. His 7ft wingspan is disruptive and he's tougher than you think. 

Can Frank run to the corners and consistently make wide open threes? Can he stay healthy enough to carve out a role? I'd be super excited to see his defense in the rotation.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - mvossman - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 05:23 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Interesting from Hollinger's note about Justin Holiday... "maybe a good option for a playoff team in need of a fifth wing."

Got me thinking ... who is Dallas' fourth wing? 

I see Green, Bullock, THJ and all are 6' 5-6" ish ... Kleber is a big who can guard wings. 

After that you're probably looking at Ntilikina ... in fact, unless Kidd is ready to commit to our talented but raw rookie, Frank is maybe 9th on the depth chart!

I've long thought Ntilikina was miscast as a PG and often wondered if he could develop into a poor man's DFS. He already defends as well or better than Dorian, at least as far as I can tell. His 7ft wingspan is disruptive and he's tougher than you think. 

Can Frank run to the corners and consistently make wide open threes? Can he stay healthy enough to carve out a role? I'd be super excited to see his defense in the rotation.

I have felt this way for a while, but his current 22% from 3 is not encouraging.  Just hitting corner 3s at league average would make a useful rotation piece with his defense.

As wings go, I don't know what Green has left but if there is any chance Burks gets bought out, he would be the one to get.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 02-10-2023

A name not on Hollingers list that I’ve seen on other lists who would help here is Rudy Gay.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - Jason Terry - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 05:30 PM)mvossman Wrote: I have felt this way for a while, but his current 22% from 3 is not encouraging.  Just hitting corner 3s at league average would make a useful rotation piece with his defense.

As wings go, I don't know what Green has left but if there is any chance Burks gets bought out, he would be the one to get.
If Frank was 6’8” there would be a place for him. Non-shooters can be valuable but only if they can set screens and rebound the offensive glass. At this point i don’t trust frank to dribble the ball or shoot or attack the basket

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - ItsGoTime - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 06:08 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: If Frank was 6’8” there would be a place for him. Non-shooters can be valuable but only if they can set screens and rebound the offensive glass. At this point i don’t trust frank to dribble the ball or shoot or attack the basket
Ya, he has the handles to be able to attack a close out, but he doesn’t shoot the 3 well enough for the defender to make a hard close out.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - LukaMVP - 02-10-2023

luka's D been underrated imho, dude has improved a lot defensively, and with some burden off the shoulder in offense he will be able to pay more energy and attention at the defensive end imho.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - ThisIStheYear - 02-10-2023

I’d pass or at least am ok if Cuban decides to pass on paying a ridiculous tax penalty for one of these scrubs. I don’t particularly want to see a progress stopper come in and take minutes from Hardy. Even McGee is a better emergency big than any of these guys. Morris can come in if you want a few minutes of borderline dirty play/enforcement.  And, Frank is terrible as a ball handler-creator,  but he showed in last year’s postseason that if you just ask him to defend wings and PGs and take a low volume of wide open spot up 3s, he can be effective for a few minutes.

RE: Buyout Market, 2023 - dirkfansince1998 - 02-10-2023

(02-10-2023, 06:19 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Ya, he has the handles to be able to attack a close out, but he doesn’t shoot the 3 well enough for the defender to make a hard close out.

Don´t even think that his shot is terrible. Sample size this season is small and his mechanics aren´t bad. And it´s not like he isn´t getting to the rim. It´s his touch. When he tries to lay it in off the back board he produces more airballs than made FGs. One of the worst finishers in the paint that I have ever seen.