MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: There are a large number of players I would rather spend the tax MLE on.  It may be the case that they all get paid more, but I would want to explore those options first.

Explore? Why do you think McGee isn't the result of exploring for what is available at their price, and taking the one who best fits a need?

Clearly there were a lot of players THEY would have wanted to get with their MLE too, and found out it was not possible. I have looked at the list. I see lots of names we hoped would be taking txMLE, and all of them got bigger deals. I see some they pursued, who either have taken a bigger deal already or are talking to others with bigger numbers than Mavs could offer.

When that happens, ya gotta move on to players who ARE available and can fill a need. And if you wait, they sign elsewhere instead.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Kidd likes D. 

Happy pride month everyone

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: When that happens, ya gotta move on to players who ARE available and can fill a need. And if you wait, they sign elsewhere instead.

And then you are forced sign WCS.  And then the MBT does what the MBT does and extends WCS.  

This is a player that will be in our rotation who is better than our current starting center and certainly better than the money we flushed down the drain on Boban and WCS.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 06-30-2022

Three things in life are certain. Death, taxes and Dan/Kam refusing to accept modern basketball.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:26 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: modern basketball.

Modern basketball is about spreading the floor and mobile length defensively. I believe very strongly in both of those things.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - LifeAquatic - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: We have a path to do other things...especially if NY and Detroit play along.  Hopefully the team capologist will earn his keep in the next few days. 

This is the key for me. Will they play along.

(06-30-2022, 11:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Modern basketball is about spreading the floor and mobile length defensively. I believe very strongly in both of those things.

Admit you were wrong about Dwight

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:31 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Admit you were wrong about Dwight

DP definitely played well for stretches this season, but I was wrong in thinking he could contribute like that in the playoffs.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:29 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Modern basketball is about spreading the floor and mobile length defensively. I believe very strongly in both of those things.

And versatility in players and lineups.  Depending on who we are playing, you could easily see Maxi, Wood or McGee starting and conversely matchups were they get no burn at all.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - hakeemfaan - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 09:41 PM)audiosway Wrote: ok. But, JB is the first player to get a $100 million dollar deal from a new team without being an all-star. Would you feel better if Cuban had offered JB $150/5? It sounds like that much wouldn't have even changed his mind. I don't know about you but I would not be a happy camper today if money like that had even just been offered in a token fashion to JB.

I get it that JB is a fan fave. Doesn't make him a $100 million dollar player.

McGee is only getting about $5.5 M per year. That's much better than Powell's $11 million this next year.

How much did we give for Barnes? Was he an All Star?  Wasn’t he a bigger gamble than JB?  I am not seeing JB’s contract as outlandish at all. You think if he had given the Heat a fair chance they would have offered much less?  That’s a top notch organization who wanted him as well. 

There was a stat about him being one of the best mid range shooters and he shot a lot too. Plus he could create his own shot.  It’s not just about the money. Boban at 7 mill was an overpay. Powell at 11mill similarly.  Javale at a 3 year deal of 20 mill given his age and what he will bring is an overpay compared to what JB will make.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:41 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In a league where Howard, Drummond and Whiteside are vet min bigs on one year deals they spent most of their taxMLE on McGee

McGee is in another class of player compared to those guys though...?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - MaxiThreeba - 06-30-2022

Regular season and the playoffs are two very different animals too. 

Asking Wood and Maxi to play 48 minutes of center isn’t a good recipe for the regular season.  Asking them to play those kind of minutes in the playoffs does make some sense depending on matchup AND is a lot more doable if you’ve got someone like McGee to eat up those regular season minutes effectively. 

There is value in that.  

And even if the game changes in the playoffs, McGee can give you 10 minutes and also a real option if you’re dealing with an animal down low on the other side and can’t 5 out him off the court.

(06-30-2022, 11:37 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: How much did we give for Barnes? Was he an All Star?  Wasn’t he a bigger gamble than JB?  I am not seeing JB’s contract as outlandish at all. You think if he had given the Heat a fair chance they would have offered much less?  That’s a top notch organization who wanted him as well. 

There was a stat about him being one of the best mid range shooters and he shot a lot too. Plus he could create his own shot.  It’s not just about the money. Boban at 7 mill was an overpay. Powell at 11mill similarly.  Javale at a 3 year deal of 20 mill given his age and what he will bring is an overpay compared to what JB will make.

Barnes was 4/85.  

I don't think there was any truth the Heat being interested.  I'm not sure anyone else was ready to give JB that number, not that it would have mattered.

The ideal starting roster for us in 90% of games that matter (late season and playoffs) is Wood at Center, Luka, DFS, Bullock and a guard/wing maybe Dinwiddie, THJ, or a player that will be traded for.

5 out offense is the most efficient and dare I say correct offense. Fortunately, 5 out offense also naturally works for defense. 5 players who switch everything. Get them to buy in to a player friendly coach’s system and you will have something. Depending on your personal you might have a championship.

JaVale has his place. We need a big guy to throw at Jokic/Embiid. I have no problem with the signing. But if we are trying to play this man in a starting role with big minutes we will be fucked. Elite guards will eat him alive in the PnR. It’s no fault of JaVale’s.

CENTER IS A SITUATIONAL POSITION IN TODAYS LEAGUE UNLESS YOU ARE A FORCE LIKE EMBIID OR JOKIC.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: McGee is in another class of player compared to those guys though...?

He is not. Howard was ahead of him in the Lakers rotation and his role this season was comparable to the mentioned guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPEKoXUBNVw

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - hakeemfaan - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:39 PM)cow Wrote: Barnes was 4/85.  

I don't think there was any truth the Heat being interested.  I'm not sure anyone else was ready to give JB that number, not that it would have mattered.

Barnes was 4 years 94.4. That was 6 years ago. Knicks got JB for 4 years 104. Doesn’t seem an overpay at all.  A bit pricey? Yes. But in an era where Anfermee Simmons gets 4 years 100, JB fully deserves that deal.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He is not. Howard was ahead of him in the Lakers rotation and his role this season was comparable to the mentioned guys.

Howard was not ahead of him in the Lakers rotation in 2020, their championship season. 

McGee started 68/68 regular season games @16.6 mpg. Howard played 69 regular season games and only started 2 @18.9mpg. 

In the playoffs, Howard played 15mpg, and started in 7 games. McGee played 10mpg and started 11 games. 

If anything Lakers used them interchangeably, but used McGee as the starting big almost every time in small minutes.

Now today in 2022? McGee is undoubtedly better than Howard (*and conveniently the other 2 guys you left out in Whiteside/Drummond). 

McGee was out of this world efficient posting 9ppg and 7rpg in 15mpg. Howard was 6ppg and 6rpg in 16mpg. Powell was 9ppg and 5rpg in 21mpg.

I understand we're going through the stages of grief over losing Brunson and nothing the Mavs do is correct, but the McGee signing at 5mil is a value signing, and exactly what this team needed. McGee does the job of Powell better, and at half the cost. 

I for one am like Dan and have already prepped myself for Brunson leaving, and the Knicks giving him 26 mil a year makes that a WHOLE lot easier. Sooner we all realize that Brunson wasn't integral to this team success, the quicker we can see that the Mavs actually made some solid moves so far.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-01-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:47 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: The ideal starting roster for us in 90% of games that matter (late season and playoffs) is Wood at Center, Luka, DFS, Bullock and a guard/wing maybe Dinwiddie, THJ, or a player that will be traded for.

5 out offense is the most efficient and dare I say correct offense. Fortunately, 5 out offense also naturally works for defense. 5 players who switch everything. Get them to buy in to a player friendly coach’s system and you will have something. Depending on your personal you might have a championship.

JaVale has his place. We need a big guy to throw at Jokic/Embiid. I have no problem with the signing. But if we are trying to play this man in a starting role with big minutes we will be fucked. Elite guards will eat him alive in the PnR. It’s no fault of JaVale’s.

CENTER IS A SITUATIONAL POSITION IN TODAYS LEAGUE UNLESS YOU ARE A FORCE LIKE EMBIID OR JOKIC.

Man, your posts are 95% hilarious, never-gets-old comedy and 5% "I know basketball better than any of you losers, I just don't have to prove it all the time" GOLD. 

Don't ever change.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 07-01-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:54 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Barnes was 4 years 94.4. That was 6 years ago. Knicks got JB for 4 years 104. Doesn’t seem an overpay at all.  A bit pricey? Yes. But in an era where Anfermee Simmons gets 4 years 100, JB fully deserves that deal.

Yeah, sorry, I was looking at his latest Kings contract.  

JB wouldn't have accepted 4/104 from the Mavs though.  Maybe you could have money whipped him at north of 5/150 and he'd change the "money doesn't matter" mantra.  Comparing other contracts doesn't mean a lot to me.  I get the mindset but you can also justify Bertans contract by looking at other shooters and it wouldn't make me feel any better about his number.  North of 20 for JB was high for me and the Mavs would have had to go north of 30 to even have a possibility of having him entertain the offer.