MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Benskix2 - 06-30-2022

He was making every big on our roster look like useless garbage in the playoffs, why are people upset about this?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 06-30-2022

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/status/1542701252433350661

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 06-30-2022

I also have a very sad feeling that I will be the number 1 JaVale hater within 10 games.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Scott41theMavs - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:08 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: He was making every big on our roster look like useless garbage in the playoffs, why are people upset about this?

Because we're down a ballhandler, that still isn't addressed, and Dragic is not the complete answer?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:08 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I also have a very sad feeling that I will be the number 1 JaVale hater within 10 games.

[Image: EiEk.gif]

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 09:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't understand all the complaints about McGee based on him only being a 15-20 mpg player. They didn't need or have room for a 30 mpg big man, with both Wood and Kleber already here and expected to split the C minutes.

The Mavs had a need for a part-timer who will play limited minutes when they need a more traditional big, who will be ready in case of injury or sickness or foul trouble , and who won't make waves -- which, in fact, is exactly what McGee has been and has excelled at in recent years.

We wanted to solve that problem area (or a different one) with the MLE asset, and they got it done. One problem solved, for less than the MLE (enough less to slide Hardy into a more team-friendly deal).

Not sure how the "starter" thing will play out -- but maybe it will be like D Steve years ago, who started and added some early physicality to set a tone?

Some of the reasons:

We did a 3 year contract for a 34 year old backup big including a player option in his age 37 season.  WTF?

I have concerns this is a sign of a two big offense.  I hated it with KP and Powell and I will hate it with Mcgee and Wood.  

There are a large number of players I would rather spend the tax MLE on.  It may be the case that they all get paid more, but I would want to explore those options first.

I will be particularly upset if this keeps them from getting Dragic, who I would consider more important than a backup center.  I'm concerned he has not signed yet given that their only option is the vet min.

If we end up signing Dragic and they send out Powell in trade making McGee the primary backup center I will be much less pissed.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 09:35 PM)cow Wrote: I drove the McGee bandwagon so I obviously love the player.  I don't really like the contract, specifically the years, but I think we just need to come to the conclusion that to get any free agent, Mavs are going to need to overpay.

I get that to a degree ...but in the NBA world, it's really far from the arm-and-a-leg some seem to think it is. It's HALF the full MLE.

I know we had dreamy discussions about how the Mavs were going to use that money, but it's come nowhere near buying what we hoped it might. We didn't somehow miss out on one of those other need-fillers, to get McGee.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:14 PM)F Gump Wrote: I get that to a degree ...but in the NBA world, it's really far from the arm-and-a-leg some seem to think it is. It's HALF the full MLE.

I know we had dreamy discussions about how the Mavs were going to use that money, but it's come nowhere near buying what we hoped it might. We didn't somehow miss out on one of those other need-fillers, to get McGee.

In the end, I'm happy.  I've been bitching about rebounding for years now.  Wood and McGee are massive, massive, massive upgrades in this area and have unique skillsets that will be helpful elsewhere.  I'd be thrilled if Luka's rebounding numbers dipped to around 6 per game.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavsfan12 - 06-30-2022

While the money seems just a little high, and he is a bit old, he is exactly the type of player we need.  Happy with the player profile - Mavs nailed what they most needed on this roster.  Can't forget that they should have nailed down JB to the extension, but this is a good add to the roster in the wake.  I was hoping for him, but at a vet min number, and adding defensive wing (GP2 or OPJ) for the money McGee was signed for.  Rebounding and rim protection was a massive need.  Hope his freakish athleticism ages well.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 06-30-2022

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1542711999661936640

You know, looking at that lineup it is not THAT crazy. McGee and Wood both move their feet well for bigs and RB can take point guards.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-30-2022

In a league where Howard, Drummond and Whiteside are vet min bigs on one year deals they spent most of their taxMLE on McGee. But not for one year. No. Of course a 34 year old center that relies heavily on his athleticism needs a 3-year deal.
Another trainwreck free agency and I cannot even get motivated to rant anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcirQ-aUcbM

Need a tag update:  JaVale "Starter" McGee

In case people have forgotten, McGee has some of the most elite length measurements in NBA history:

Height w/o shoes: 6' 11"
Standing Reach: 9' 6.5"
Wingspan: 7' 6"

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Fuerza1 - 06-30-2022

McGee can get played off the floor. Didn't play a single second in the Finals for the Lakers, which Coach Kidd was a part of. That was 3 seasons ago. He will be 35 this upcoming season. 

He is maxed out at 15 minutes per game at best. If anything I think this enhances Powell's chances to remain on the team; they need insurance at the big spot if Wood doesn't pan out or McGee's age catches up to him. Powell is essentially the new Boban except more useful. 

I think Bertans/THJ/Dinwiddie are the ones they try to move if they are trying to add a wing and Dragic.

Thank you, @"Kammrath"

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: In case people have forgotten, McGee has some of the most elite length measurements in NBA history:

Height w/o shoes: 6' 11"
Standing Reach: 9' 6.5"
Wingspan: 7' 6"

You are the first person to complain when we even mention a guy in the 30+ range. Now we are getting 34 year old McGee on a 3-year deal.

(06-30-2022, 10:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: You are the first person to complain when we even mention a guy in the 30+ range. Now we are getting 34 year old McGee on a 3-year deal.

You are correct. But in this case, JM seems to honestly have a good amount left in the tank and he absolutely fills the big man need better than anyone else available IMO. I hated the number when I first saw it, but I have come around.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 10:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1542711999661936640

You know, looking at that lineup it is not THAT crazy. McGee and Wood both move their feet well for bigs and RB can take point guards.

This is what I was saying when I said our signing would be a center and Wood would start at the four.  I think people were way too anchored to what they saw in the playoffs.  We played very little single big until we were forced to by the KP trade.

Kidd likes D.  Wood's best defensive position is the four.  Luka takes 11 shots in the first six minutes of halves anyway, so we don't have to have a shot creator alongside Luka in those minutes.  Once that is over we may or may not see Wood at the five.  Maybe Maxi comes in and plays with Wood.  Maybe Powell.  I'm not convinced Powell is gone, but until we get a few more days down the road and see if there is another shoe to drop, I'm not committing to Powell staying either.  My leaning is he will be here.

I think the original reporting of $21mm is wrong (as others have said).  I think the presumption was the full TP-MLE without taking into account the Hardy deal.  At $5.5mm, this isn't bad at all.  As you have pointed out (somewhere in all of these pages I'm trying to catch up on), he's elite at rebounding and blocks.  His defensive EPM has been in the 90's each of the last three seasons.  PLUS, all of the centers we hoped would take the TP-MLE all got much more.  Shotblocking and rebounding came straight from Nico's mouth.  If I recall correctly, wing depth came from a reporter.

I think I saw that Brunson's deal is declining and starts at $28mm.  If true, the BYC number is $14mm for TPE or trade purposes.  Brunson plus THJ can bring back as much as $42mm.  Guess who combines for $42mm...Harris and Thybulle.  Add in Green and you are almost at $46mm in returning salary.  I don't think Harris is a fit given what we have already, but if we can tag onto the NY/Detroit deals, we can get to some really big numbers.  We have three bigs in McGee, Wood and Maxi (and an expensive backup in Powell).  We have three wings in DFS, Bullock and THJ (and an expensive backup in Bertans and a bunch of kids).  We have two ball handlers in Luka and Dinwiddie (a $55 million investment in the position BTW) and maybe another on the way for the minimum.  The depth chart is pretty solid.  Now we hope we find a way to upgrade one of the spots.

I think if someone told me right after the elimination game that we'd pick up Wood, McGee and Dragic (not to mention the 19th best player on the Mav's draft board), I'd be pretty damned happy.  The Brunson deal casts a pall on things, but it wasn't hard to see it coming.  I went through the stages of grief a long time ago (and will be glad when some here catch up).  There are still some big name FA's out there and some players teams are shopping.  We have a path to do other things...especially if NY and Detroit play along.  Hopefully the team capologist will earn his keep in the next few days.  I am, as always, optimistic.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 06-30-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is what I was saying when I said our signing would be a center and Wood would start at the four.

I still don't agree that this is what will happen, but we will see.