MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Kammrath - 07-10-2022

https://twitter.com/DuaneRankin/status/1546198942676762626

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - mvossman - 07-10-2022

(07-09-2022, 01:48 PM)cow Wrote: Repeat after me:

We started Dwight Powell last year.  

All together now:

We...

I hated the Powell/KP pairing and I am going to hate the McGee/Wood pairing.  I don't really get starting a guy that is not in your top 7 or 8 players, especially in the playoffs.  My biggest nightmare is that McGee/Powell are going to get 35+ minutes a game.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - KillerLeft - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 06:48 PM)mvossman Wrote: I hated the Powell/KP pairing and I am going to hate the McGee/Wood pairing.

[Image: ugh-annoyed.gif]

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - F Gump - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 06:48 PM)mvossman Wrote: My biggest nightmare is that McGee/Powell are going to get 35+ minutes a game.

Since they are the Mavs only two interior-based centers, wouldn't they be splitting 48? I think that's how that thinking would go.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - KillerLeft - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 07:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: Since they are the Mavs only two interior-based centers, wouldn't they be splitting 48? I think that's how that thinking would go.

Even the dumbest coach in the world would take advantage of their ability to play Wood or Kleber at the 5 a LITTLE, I assume. I think that’s what he was thinking. 15-20 for EACH of Powell and McGee, as opposed to 15-20 for one or the other. 

This is my nightmare, too.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - DallasMaverick - 07-10-2022

A soft answer turns away anger...

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - cow - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 06:48 PM)mvossman Wrote: I hated the Powell/KP pairing and I am going to hate the McGee/Wood pairing.  I don't really get starting a guy that is not in your top 7 or 8 players, especially in the playoffs.  My biggest nightmare is that McGee/Powell are going to get 35+ minutes a game.

I'm having a hard time finding 7-8 guys on our roster better than McGee.

1.  Luka
2.  DFS
3.  Wood (hopefully?)
4.  Dinwiddie 
5.  Bullock
6.  McGee
7.  Maxi
8.  THJ

Honestly for 3-8, you could argue just about any order.  McGee is the best true center we've had since TC.  I also don't think we will always go with a big lineup.  I could still see DFS getting minutes at the 4 with any number of our 4/5 hybrids or McGee getting burn at the 5.  We've got a lot of flexibility at the 4/5 and the lineups are going to depend on the matchups.

McGee is really good so don't let his goofball start to his career get in the way.  He's been the part of A LOT of winning since his last stint in Dallas.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - mvossman - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 08:52 PM)cow Wrote: I'm having a hard time finding 7-8 guys on our roster better than McGee.

1.  Luka
2.  DFS
3.  Wood (hopefully?)
4.  Dinwiddie 
5.  Bullock
6.  McGee
7.  Maxi
8.  THJ

Honestly for 3-8, you could argue just about any order.  McGee is the best true center we've had since TC.  I also don't think we will always go with a big lineup.  I could still see DFS getting minutes at the 4 with any number of our 4/5 hybrids or McGee getting burn at the 5.  We've got a lot of flexibility at the 4/5 and the lineups are going to depend on the matchups.

I have no idea why THJ would be 8 on your list.  His last two playoffs was well over 30 minutes a game and he earned it.  Maxi was easily top 6 rotation in the playoffs and was significantly more valuable than McGee was.  From a playoff standpoint, I would say Din, Bullock, Maxi and THJ would be similar.  Based on playoff minutes Mcgee is closer to Powell/Bertans.  Given that he is in his mid 30s, I don't expect that to be any better here.

(07-10-2022, 07:44 PM)F Gump Wrote: Since they are the Mavs only two interior-based centers, wouldn't they be splitting 48? I think that's how that thinking would go.

Given how much better this team was in the playoffs with Maxi at center than Powell, I'm not sure why this would be the thinking?  I would argue that our best frontcourt lineup by far is Wood/Maxi.  Those two work perfectly together.  Wood helps to address Maxi rebounding limitations, while Maxi provides the rim protection.  On the other end Maxi allows Wood's offensive versatility to shine.

(07-10-2022, 08:52 PM)cow Wrote: I'm having a hard time finding 7-8 guys on our roster better than McGee.

1.  Luka
2.  DFS
3.  Wood (hopefully?)
4.  Dinwiddie 
5.  Bullock
6.  McGee
7.  Maxi
8.  THJ

McGee is really good so don't let his goofball start to his career get in the way.  He's been the part of A LOT of winning since his last stint in Dallas.

And to be clear, I don't hate McGee for 15 minutes a game.  But in my mind the best lineup with McGee would focus on P&R with Luka and shooters.  Something like McGee/Dorian/Bullock/THJ/Luka.  

What I don't want is another 15-20 minutes a game of Powell.  I would much rather do remaining frontcourt lineups of Maxi/Wood or Wood/Dorian (small ball).

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Hypermav - 07-10-2022

I like our versatile center group.  Wood shoots the 3 better than Brunson.  He can drive the ball in the 5 out scheme.  McGee will help when we need rebounding and rim protection.  I think the Mavs made significant upgrades in the front court.  Since DP was named a starter so much last year, I can't really get worked up over McGee.  It will change as the season goes to whatever is best for the Mavs.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - ItsGoTime - 07-10-2022

My next season prediction: Wood is gonna show to be a better rim protector than some of you guys think. His biggest issue on defense is gonna be him being no better than Maxi or Powell at posing much resistance to bigger bigs.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - cow - 07-10-2022

(07-10-2022, 09:01 PM)mvossman Wrote: I have no idea why THJ would be 8 on your list.  His last two playoffs was well over 30 minutes a game and he earned it.  Maxi was easily top 6 rotation in the playoffs and was significantly more valuable than McGee was.  From a playoff standpoint, I would say Din, Bullock, Maxi and THJ would be similar.  Based on playoff minutes Mcgee is closer to Powell/Bertans.  Given that he is in his mid 30s, I don't expect that to be any better here.

Maybe because our best playoff run had THJ playing zero minutes.  Read my post again.  I don't mind re-ordering 3-8 as I don't see anyone as head and shoulders above the rest.  I love Maxi but McGee does certain things better and it's why I said who starts and who plays is going to be highly dependent on the matchup.  We are super flexible at the 4/5 spot and that's a good thing.

(07-10-2022, 09:29 PM)cow Wrote: Maybe because our best playoff run had THJ playing zero minutes.  Read my post again.  I don't mind re-ordering 3-8 as I don't see anyone as head and shoulders above the rest.  I love Maxi but McGee does certain things better and it's why I said who starts and who plays is going to be highly dependent on the matchup.  We are super flexible at the 4/5 spot and that's a good thing.

I really hate that argument.  Like there was not a massive number of variables between this last playoffs the previous two (opponent, teammates, quality of teammate play, etc).  Timmy was probably our 3rd best player in the previous season when we took probably the best team in the NBA (before Kawhi got hurt) to 7.

I'm fine with McGee for roughly 15 a game (although his playoff participation seemed to dwindle as his teams progressed).  My bigger concern is playing another 15-20 with Powell, who does not bring what McGee does to the table (rim protection and rebounding) while still clogging up the lane.  They send Powell out, and I am totally fine with McGee.

(07-10-2022, 09:38 PM)mvossman Wrote: I really hate that argument.  

Too bad.  Team didn't miss a beat without him during the regular season either.  You are happy to disagree but I don't see Timmy as an impactful player and his playoff performances did nothing to change my feelings.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - ItsGoTime - 07-10-2022

I’m gonna be so mad when my unrealistic thought happens!

(07-10-2022, 09:48 PM)cow Wrote: Too bad.  Team didn't miss a beat without him during the regular season either.  You are happy to disagree but I don't see Timmy as an impactful player and his playoff performances did nothing to change my feelings.
Also, to date, THJ hasn’t looked good on a Kidd led team.

(07-10-2022, 09:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: My next season prediction: Wood is gonna show to be a better rim protector than some of you guys think. His biggest issue on defense is gonna be him being no better than Maxi or Powell at posing much resistance to bigger bigs.

If you’re right, they might win a championship, because “resisting bigger bigs” doesn’t even make the top 10 list of things that need to be improved from last season, imho.

(07-10-2022, 09:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If you’re right, they might win a championship, because “resisting bigger bigs” doesn’t even make the top 10 list of things that need to be improved from last season, imho.

With his offense and rebounding, it would be hard to keep Wood off the court if he becomes a good defender/rim protector.

(07-10-2022, 09:49 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Also, to date, THJ hasn’t looked good on a Kidd led team.
Nor has he looked as good when coming off the bench since he’s been here.

(07-10-2022, 09:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Nor has he looked as good when coming off the bench since he’s been here.

I agree with this. I would absolutely start him if he’s here on the roster, especially now with Brunson gone.