MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 06:17 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Oversimplified, but they lost playing that way, do you continue to then play that way?

To go along with your favorit take. Compared to the Warriors the Mavs lacked talent. I don´t think allowing their shooters to get more open looks in exchange for more rebounding and defense in the paint would change that. Mavs were outmatched.
Overall I think the switch heavy small ball style is the way to go. Would argue that the four teams in the conference finals all played that way.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - ItsGoTime - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 05:49 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If you’re saying the Warriors are a better team than the Mavs, you have no argument here.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 05:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But Looney only looked like this because the Mavs big overplayed the perimeter to contain Curry, Poole and Thompson. In a matchup against a team like GS McGee would be played off the floor. Not the other way around. Looney can guard the perimeter. McGee can´t.

Yes. I'm not meaning to insert myself into the McGee debate, but this board way got the wrong idea about Looney. 

He wasn't out there backing down defenders and then unleashing a huge array of pivot/footwork to score points. He was leaking into the paint after the team with the best ball movement in the NBA had gotten 4-5 passes into a possession and our poor Mavs defenders were completely bumfuzzled and out of position. 

Was part of that success unique to him being on the floor? Probably, but only because chemistry and familiarity with certain lineups is (I believe) much more crucial than we here often think.

But, the reason he was on the floor is because Luka/Brunson were unable to play him off of it. AND THEY TRIED. He earned those minutes on defense, not offense. Then, he also did some valuable things on offense and on the glass. But, it started with him handling Luka in space better than Gobert did, and MUCH better than Ayton did. 

Don't hate the McGee signing, but he's not that guy.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavsfan12 - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes. I'm not meaning to insert myself into the McGee debate, but this board way got the wrong idea about Looney. 

He wasn't out there backing down defenders and then unleashing a huge array of pivot/footwork to score points. He was leaking into the paint after the team with the best ball movement in the NBA had gotten 4-5 passes into a possession and our poor Mavs defenders were completely bumfuzzled and out of position. 

Was part of that success unique to him being on the floor? Probably, but only because chemistry and familiarity with certain lineups is (I believe) much more crucial than we here often think.

But, the reason he was on the floor is because Luka/Brunson were unable to play him off of it. AND THEY TRIED. He earned those minutes on defense, not offense. Then, he also did some valuable things on offense and on the glass. But, it started with him handling Luka in space better than Gobert did, and MUCH better than Ayton did. 

I agree with some of that.  They did get points off of superior ball movement.  That is what they do.  But they also demolished us on the boards and had MANY putbacks/second chance points.  I agree it is a balance, but its like football.  If you can't stop the other team from running the ball, you are screwed.  You don't have to be the best rebounding/interior defensive team, but you can't completely punt on that either.  Wood and McGee are both much better rebounders than anything we had last season.  Even with Porzingis.  That will make a big difference.  If Wood can be the defender that his athletic profile suggests he could, I am excited for the improvement.  At the very least, they will finish off more possessions with a def reb.  McGee isn't a big minute guy.  He is an option against teams where he is needed.  It was needed at times last season, and we didn't have anything to turn to.  Now we have a guy to set a tone and back up as needed per the game strategy.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - MrGoat - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 12:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes. I'm not meaning to insert myself into the McGee debate, but this board way got the wrong idea about Looney. 

I think you're underselling how unacceptably terrible our rim defense in that series was. Kevon Looney is undersized, not athletic, and not a threat to shoot. We allowed him to get his first career 20 point game, and this is a guy who has played in over 400 games in his career counting playoffs. He had yet to even reach 10 points in a game that playoffs going into the series with us and he did it to us 3 out of 5 times. 

That wasn't just about Golden State's ball movement, it was a massive failure by our defense especially in regards to rim protection, you didn't see Looney establishing himself as much of an offensive threat like that against other teams. Apparently Nico agrees with me as evidenced by this signing and earlier comments about how we needed more rim protection

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-06-2022

(07-06-2022, 07:54 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I think you're underselling how unacceptably terrible our rim defense in that series was. Kevon Looney is undersized, not athletic, and not a threat to shoot. We allowed him to get his first career 20 point game, and this is a guy who has played in over 400 games in his career counting playoffs. He had yet to even reach 10 points in a game that playoffs going into the series with us and he did it to us 3 out of 5 times. 

That wasn't just about Golden State's ball movement, it was a massive failure by our defense especially in regards to rim protection, you didn't see Looney establishing himself as much of an offensive threat like that against other teams. Apparently Nico agrees with me as evidenced by this signing and earlier comments about how we needed more rim protection

Sorry that we disagree overall. I do agree that the rim protection for Dallas could be improved, but this overall take is pretty far from what I witnessed watching that series. 

And, let’s say this really is a huge worry of theirs. I fail to see how McGee could be some huge solution to it. I doubt he’s going to play big minutes in the playoffs.

But hey, reasonable people can disagree.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jommybone - 07-08-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:42 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Would the salary story make sense if McGee was offered 21.1/3 providing the Mavs were able to get below the apron and 17/3 if not? Cuban seems to like that kind of offer. . . .

Am I right that there’s still no team announcement of a McGee signing? Could it be waiting on a trade that opens up the non-taxpayer MLE?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 10:36 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Am I right that there’s still no team announcement of a McGee signing? Could it be waiting on a trade that opens up the non-taxpayer MLE?

I believe it hasn't been announced.   Is there any reason they announced the Hardy contract but not the McGee contract?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jommybone - 07-08-2022

My theory is a Wes Matthews type deal where they promised McGee the remainder of the MLE—which is bigger if they are able to get under the apron and smaller if not. That could explain the divergent numbers reported on his deal and the fact it is yet unsigned. But really it’s just my wild-ass guess.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 07-08-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1545491201763053568

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - dirkfansince1998 - 07-08-2022

Start. Let him handle the tip off. Bench him for the rest of the game.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - IamDougieFresh - 07-08-2022

Dirk, give me strength.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - KillerLeft - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 02:38 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Dirk, give me strength.

[Image: pour-drink.gif]

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Bayliss - 07-08-2022

Well, Inside the NBA on TNT will be chock full of highlights this year.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Winter - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 02:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Start. Let him handle the tip off. Bench him for the rest of the game.

That's number 1.

2. Start CW at the PF spot
3. CW comes off the bench and is fine with that.
4. They plan to move CW before the season starts

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - cow - 07-09-2022

Repeat after me:

We started Dwight Powell last year.  

All together now:

We...

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Kammrath - 07-09-2022

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1545933572350980097

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Kammrath - 07-09-2022

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1545933411331633152

[Image: FXRCPR9VUAAK80N?format=jpg&name=large]

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Chicagojk - 07-10-2022

I don't have a problem with McGee.  I think he fits the salary slot and has the skills wanted as a backup center.  Even if he may start to begin the season, he is a backup center in minutes needed on the court.   

I will hold my grade for the offseason until it is truly finished.  But if we just have one move for the last roster spot, I would have preferred a younger guy with upside instead of McGee.  I don't view this team as currently constructed as a top 6 team in the west.   There is also potential moves for the trading deadline, so that could be an option as well.