MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 02:15 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Some FA centers that are role players that got deals in the past 2 free agencies:

Theis- 4/35.8
Homes- 4/47
Collins- 3/22
Noel- 3/28
Len- 2/7.6

Nurkic- 4/70
Robinson- 4/60
Dedmon- 2/9
Drummond- 2/6.6
Bamba- 2/21
Hartenstein- 2/16
McGee- 3/20.1
Lopez+DAJ- Vet min 1 yr

In terms of AAV, McGee currently ranks 9th out of 14 centers of roughly the same skill level. Even at the bigger 20.1 total, McGee's contract isn't bad at all.

Once one wraps their head around prioritizing McGee over other potential targets (most of whom went for higher salaries, anyway) the contract doesn’t sting so much, I agree. And frankly, he’s better than a lot of guys on that list.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mapka - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 02:18 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Once one wraps their head around prioritizing McGee over other potential targets (most of whom went for higher salaries, anyway) the contract doesn’t sting so much, I agree. And frankly, he’s better than a lot of guys on that list.

And he is a goofy good guy we know. Very little risk of bad surprises.

This signing is fine. Other task aren't done any good is the problem.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - MrGoat - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 02:15 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Some FA centers that are role players that got deals in the past 2 free agencies:

Theis- 4/35.8
Homes- 4/47
Collins- 3/22
Noel- 3/28
Len- 2/7.6

Nurkic- 4/70
Robinson- 4/60
Dedmon- 2/9
Drummond- 2/6.6
Bamba- 2/21
Hartenstein- 2/16
McGee- 3/20.1
Lopez+DAJ- Vet min 1 yr

In terms of AAV, McGee currently ranks 9th out of 14 centers of roughly the same skill level. Even at the bigger 20.1 total, McGee's contract isn't bad at all.

Hartenstein would have been my pipe dream but not surprisingly he ended up being just a little bit out of our price range. There's a pretty big drop off after McGee when it came to center options in our price range so it really wasn't a bad deal.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavs2021 - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 10:10 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Hartenstein would have been my pipe dream but not surprisingly he ended up being just a little bit out of our price range. There's a pretty big drop off after McGee when it came to center options in our price range so it really wasn't a bad deal.

8M to back-up Robinson vs. 7M to start is not out of our price range. Mavs simply don´t want Hartenstein. Didn´t want him, when he dropped into the 40s during the draft- Didn´t want him over WCS for the minimum and they did not want him right now. They wanted the old guy.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:39 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: 8M ... is not out of our price range. Mavs simply don't want Hartenstein..

LOL maths are hard

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-05-2022

Theis- 4/35.8
Homes- 4/47
Collins- 3/22
Noel- 3/28
Len- 2/7.6

Nurkic- 4/70
Robinson- 4/60
Dedmon- 2/9
Drummond- 2/6.6
Bamba- 2/21
Hartenstein- 2/16
McGee- 3/20.1
Lopez+DAJ- Vet min 1 yr

The question is should a mid 30s backup center who can't stay on the court in the playoffs be our primary target with the tax MLE?  If we are going the center route, I would rather have gone after a young project who might turn into an asset (Jalen Smith).  Personally I think the higher priority would have been to replace Brunson.  Somebody like Ricky Rubio (who got the tax MLE) would have made a ton of sense.  I don't know why we didn't sign Dragic, but if offering more than the vet min would have done it, I think that would have been higher priority than McGee.  There were also wing options that would have made more sense that got the tax MLE or less (OPJ, Ingles, Divincenzo).

I'm trying to stay patient and wait for the offseason to play out, and honestly I'm more pissed about Dragic than McGee, but right now we only have two guys on this roster that can pass and I feel like that is more important than adding another center after we got Wood.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:47 AM)mvossman Wrote: Somebody like Ricky Rubio (who got the tax MLE) would have made a ton of sense.

*sigh*...be prepared

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavs2021 - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:45 AM)F Gump Wrote: LOL maths are hard

It´s so cute how out of your depth you are, when you cannot play around with the CBA playbook, but you try so hard.

You´d probably also take the job for 100k over the job for 95k, even if the lower paid job offered you full health care coverage and 20 extra vacation days. Tongue

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:47 AM)mvossman Wrote: The question is should a mid 30s backup center who can't stay on the court in the playoffs be our primary target with the tax MLE?  If we are going the center route, I would rather have gone after a young project who might turn into an asset (Jalen Smith).  Personally I think the higher priority would have been to replace Brunson.  Somebody like Ricky Rubio (who got the tax MLE) would have made a ton of sense.  I don't know why we didn't sign Dragic, but if offering more than the vet min would have done it, I think that would have been higher priority than McGee.  There were also wing options that would have made more sense that got the tax MLE or less (OPJ, Ingles, Divincenzo).

I'm trying to stay patient and wait for the offseason to play out, and honestly I'm more pissed about Dragic than McGee, but right now we only have two guys on this roster that can pass and I feel like that is more important than adding another center after we got Wood.

I think that's a good question. And it really boils down to what did the Mavs need the most heading into the offseason? Of course most of us were under the assumption that Brunson was going to return and we needn't focus on adding another ball handler....

However, ignoring that misstep, the most obvious need was adequate center play. Mavs essentially had only Maxi in the playoffs. Taking the POV that the Mavs needed a big man the most, then the best player within our price range was McGee, and the Mavs got him. He specifically specializes in the two areas the Mavs lacked with rim protection and rebounding. And the fact he was in our price range is the key. I like Hartenstein a lot. I don't think Hartenstein is worth an extra 2 million + whatever assets we needed to shed to be able to offer him that contract over McGee. And it fits with the theory that Nico wanted better big man play as he targeted Wood before anyone. 

Taking a flier on a young guy like Jalen Smith would've been interesting, but usually going after young inexperienced guys doesn't equate to winning. 
All the other guys you mentioned I don't think are that much better than McGee at their position, and I'd rather be cheap at center than somewhere else.

I agree with you that losing out on Dragic was the real stinger. I'm still taking a wait and see approach on how they address vacancy left by Brunson, as that basically makes or breaks the offseason. But to me the McGee signing independently was a good signing and a proper use of the TP-MLE, regardless of what else has happened.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 11:56 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You´d probably also take the job for 100k over the job for 95k, even if the lower paid job offered you full health care coverage and 20 extra vacation days.

Generally NBA perks are the same everywhere. More importantly, just because we want Hartenstein to be a Mav doesn't mean he has any interest in taking way less money to play in Dallas. And the agent who has a player looking for his first major payday and who is getting offers paying $8M is not going to bother with a team that can only pay him $6M. That's just how it is.

[My apologies for the deleted personal attack. That was rude. Sorry about that.]

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 12:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think that's a good question. And it really boils down to what did the Mavs need the most heading into the offseason? Of course most of us were under the assumption that Brunson was going to return and we needn't focus on adding another ball handler....

However, ignoring that misstep, the most obvious need was adequate center play. Mavs essentially had only Maxi in the playoffs. Taking the POV that the Mavs needed a big man the most, then the best player within our price range was McGee, and the Mavs got him. He specifically specializes in the two areas the Mavs lacked with rim protection and rebounding. And the fact he was in our price range is the key. I like Hartenstein a lot. I don't think Hartenstein is worth an extra 2 million + whatever assets we needed to shed to be able to offer him that contract over McGee. And it fits with the theory that Nico wanted better big man play as he targeted Wood before anyone. 

Taking a flier on a young guy like Jalen Smith would've been interesting, but usually going after young inexperienced guys doesn't equate to winning. 
All the other guys you mentioned I don't think are that much better than McGee at their position, and I'd rather be cheap at center than somewhere else.

I agree with you that losing out on Dragic was the real stinger. I'm still taking a wait and see approach on how they address vacancy left by Brunson, as that basically makes or breaks the offseason. But to me the McGee signing independently was a good signing and a proper use of the TP-MLE, regardless of what else has happened.

There is no question that getting a rotational big was the top priority heading into the offseason, but that was accomplished by getting Wood.  With a Wood/Maxi/Powell center rotation I would suggest our biggest need (as stated by the FO) was a big wing.  Once we shit the bed on both Brunson and Dragic, then it quickly shifted to adding another playmaker.  

Taking a flyer on Jalen Smith would have made sense after Wood assuming we held onto Brunson.  Supposedly we knew holding onto Brunson was in question for weeks, in which case I have no idea why we were focusing on getting a backup center instead of addressing the gaping whole in the roster left by Brunson.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 07-05-2022

The most important thing about the McGee acquisition is that we can confirm that Mark and Nico read these forums and are finally listening to me.  PM me your wish list, brothers.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 01:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: There is no question that getting a rotational big was the top priority heading into the offseason, but that was accomplished by getting Wood.  With a Wood/Maxi/Powell center rotation I would suggest our biggest need (as stated by the FO) was a big wing.  Once we shit the bed on both Brunson and Dragic, then it quickly shifted to adding another playmaker.  

Taking a flyer on Jalen Smith would have made sense after Wood assuming we held onto Brunson.  Supposedly we knew holding onto Brunson was in question for weeks, in which case I have no idea why we were focusing on getting a backup center instead of addressing the gaping whole in the roster left by Brunson.

True. 

The only justifications I can think of 

1) Mavs didn't really value what JB brought, and figured whatever he did could be replaced easily by THJ and/or a FA. 
2) Mavs really thought that JB could come back, and thus filled out the other areas first.
3) Mavs already have a backup plan that's been put on hold because the rest of the league is waiting for KD/Kyrie. 

Case 1, I find idiotic and a huge risk. Remains to be seen if what JB brought is replaceable. 
Case 2, just shows Cuban/our FO hasn't changed and they're buffoons until the end of time. Heck the way they mismanaged JB still qualifies them for that title. 
Case 3, remains to be seen.

(07-05-2022, 01:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: True. 

The only justifications I can think of 

1) Mavs didn't really value what JB brought, and figured whatever he did could be replaced easily by THJ and/or a FA. 
2) Mavs really thought that JB could come back, and thus filled out the other areas first.
3) Mavs already have a backup plan that's been put on hold because the rest of the league is waiting for KD/Kyrie. 

Case 1, I find idiotic and a huge risk. Remains to be seen if what JB brought is replaceable. 
Case 2, just shows Cuban/our FO hasn't changed and they're buffoons until the end of time. Heck the way they mismanaged JB still qualifies them for that title. 
Case 3, remains to be seen.

My thought is that it is case 3, but the backup trade plan will blow up in their faces and they will have to scramble finding whatever they can in the remaining retched dregs of the vet min pool.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Scott41theMavs - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 01:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: My thought is that it is case 3, but the backup trade plan will blow up in their faces and they will have to scramble finding whatever they can in the remaining retched dregs of the vet min pool.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's a safe bet. If it had anything to do with the Nets' saga, it will probably end up that 1) KD stays put, nuking whatever the plan is, or 2) a deal is done that ends up not including the Mavs.

(07-05-2022, 01:13 PM)mvossman Wrote: .... Taking a flyer on Jalen Smith would have made sense ....I have no idea why we were focusing on getting a backup center instead of ....

While I liked the idea of taking a flier on Smith, once the Mavs got CWood, there wasn't a role here for Smith.

The Mavs need, with Wood here, is for a center who is more interior-based (like Powell) yet who also is a plus in rebounding and defense. Smith is definitely NOT that guy. It's only a limited minutes job, to be sure, but it will arise regularly and be badly needed at times, and McGee is good at it, willing and familiar with such a role. Plus, Kidd/ Dudley have connections and endorse him as what is needed. With the Mavs playing for now, filling a massive hole takes higher priority than trying to build something for years from now.

In the bigger picture, I agree it's hard to understand what's going on with the other needs, another creator (to fill some of the hole left by JB leaving) and a 3rd 2-way wing (to supplement DFS and RB), except maybe there just weren't any solutions available at that MLE price.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - MrGoat - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 01:37 PM)F Gump Wrote: While I liked the idea of taking a flier on Smith, once the Mavs got CWood, there wasn't a role here for Smith.

The Mavs need, with Wood here, is for a center who is more interior-based (like Powell) yet who also is a plus in rebounding and defense. Smith is definitely NOT that guy. It's only a limited minutes job, to be sure, but it will arise regularly and be badly needed at times, and McGee is good at it, willing and familiar with such a role. Plus, Kidd/ Dudley have connections and endorse him as what is needed. With the Mavs playing for now, filling a massive hole takes higher priority than trying to build something for years from now.

In the bigger picture, I agree it's hard to understand what's going on with the other needs, another creator (to fill some of the hole left by JB leaving) and a 3rd 2-way wing (to supplement DFS and RB), except maybe there just weren't any solutions available at that MLE price.

The kind of wing we want doesn't grow on trees. Signing McGee addressed a need for now. During the regular season Josh Green is probably to have a slightly bigger role and if he keeps improving we may not have to look elsewhere for that extra wing, and he's already shown some flashes of playmaking ability too. The McGee signing signals to me a vote of confidence in Josh Green to keep improving

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - ItsGoTime - 07-05-2022

Might I suggest some of you take a step back and start to realize what you think is a gaping hole and where you think your reading of the tea leaves is may not line up with the guys making the decisions? You guys speak in absolutes so much it’s no wonder you get amazed by what is happening.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 02:10 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Might I suggest some of you take a step back and start to realize what you think is a gaping hole and where you think your reading of the tea leaves is may not line up with the guys making the decisions? You guys speak in absolutes so much it’s no wonder you get amazed by what is happening.

And just because you need something doesn't mean there is an option available.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - ItsGoTime - 07-05-2022

(07-05-2022, 02:11 PM)cow Wrote: And just because you need something doesn't mean there is an option available.
And need is a strong word.