MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:23 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think they’ve set themselves up ‘to’ be done (if it comes to that) and can now try things to improve on what they have.

That makes sense. Worst case scenario you can go into the season as is, so you aren't forced to make any bad moves. But you can be ready to make a move at any time as well.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 08:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is it that unbalanced?

Luka gets 32-34 minutes as the primary ball handler.  SD gets 16 there and 12 minutes of ‘wing’ 2/3 time.  If we play ANY two big at all (even if just Maxi/Wood), DFS will eat up a few minutes at the three…lets say another 12.  So, that is 96 minutes minus 24 going to SD and DFS.  That leaves 72 minutes for Bullock, THJ and one of the youngsters (probably still bringing Green along).  So that is 30 for Bullock, 30 for THJ and 12 for Green?

Could you take Powell and Green and trade for a wing?  Yeah, but between Luka, SD, Bullock, THJ and New Wing (and making DFS a full time four), that is 144 minutes divided 5 ways or 28 minutes each (and we know Luka will gobble up more than that).  And we haven’t accounted for anything for Dragic.  Point being do we really need another wing that bad.  It would leave us with Wood, Low Minute McGee and always misses games Maxi as our only bigs.  Personally, I think there is a role for a 4th big and probably some regular minutes if we play two-bigs any percentage of the time at all (and we will).  Now, if you told me the Powell/Green deal brought back a vet wing and a developmental big, then maybe I’m buying it.

Yep.  If there is one thing that makes me feel better about the McGee signing, its that it allows us to play Wood and Maxi together (which I think is a great pairing) and don't need Maxi to be the backup center.  From a playoff rotation standpoint, I see Wood/Maxi being the primary bigs, with some stints of McGee/Dorian, and a smallball lineup of Wood/Dorian.  Then Dorian will take most or all of the minutes at the 3 that Bullock doesn't.  Hopefully Dragic takes on any minutes Luka is out and Timmy and Dinwiddie can split the minutes at the 2.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: That makes sense. Worst case scenario you can go into the season as is, so you aren't forced to make any bad moves. But you can be ready to make a move at any time as well.

Unfortunately, that sounds like every Mavs Front Office thinking for the last several years. That sounds like re-worked vocabulary for plan powder.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - loki - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 06:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yes of course.  In now way was I trying to make the McGee signing into something it isn't but I have to admit the highlight package was pretty entertaining. 

I also didn't know he was a three time NBA champion.   What a strange career.

McGee has the most entertaining "highlights" I've ever seen. We might have been watching a different video though.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:41 AM)mvossman Wrote: Yep.  If there is one thing that makes me feel better about the McGee signing, its that it allows us to play Wood and Maxi together (which I think is a great pairing) and don't need Maxi to be the backup center.  From a playoff rotation standpoint, I see Wood/Maxi being the primary bigs, with some stints of McGee/Dorian, and a smallball lineup of Wood/Dorian.  Then Dorian will take most or all of the minutes at the 3 that Bullock doesn't.  Hopefully Dragic takes on any minutes Luka is out and Timmy and Dinwiddie can split the minutes at the 2.

You could sell me on that thinking. 

I still doubt that's the official plan, but I could at least see that.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - omahen - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 09:23 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think they’ve set themselves up ‘to’ be done (if it comes to that) and can now try things to improve on what they have.

Only the Brunson SnT will be gone in a couple of days. Perhaps our best option for a trade.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 08:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is it that unbalanced?

Luka gets 32-34 minutes as the primary ball handler.  SD gets 16 there and 12 minutes of ‘wing’ 2/3 time.  If we play ANY two big at all (even if just Maxi/Wood), DFS will eat up a few minutes at the three…lets say another 12.  So, that is 96 minutes minus 24 going to SD and DFS.  That leaves 72 minutes for Bullock, THJ and one of the youngsters (probably still bringing Green along).  So that is 30 for Bullock, 30 for THJ and 12 for Green?

Could you take Powell and Green and trade for a wing?  Yeah, but between Luka, SD, Bullock, THJ and New Wing (and making DFS a full time four), that is 144 minutes divided 5 ways or 28 minutes each (and we know Luka will gobble up more than that).  And we haven’t accounted for anything for Dragic.  Point being do we really need another wing that bad.  It would leave us with Wood, Low Minute McGee and always misses games Maxi as our only bigs.  Personally, I think there is a role for a 4th big and probably some regular minutes if we play two-bigs any percentage of the time at all (and we will).  Now, if you told me the Powell/Green deal brought back a vet wing and a developmental big, then maybe I’m buying it.

Good post. 

Just to play Devil's advocate, think through this again, but this time under the hypothetical that Kidd never again wants to be in a position to have to play Green during minutes that matter. You probably don't think that way (not sure I do, either). I don't think they want to be rid of the kid, necessarily, but I have no trouble believing that they want to avoid needing him for even one playoff minute this time around. McGee addresses that a little, maybe, but only if you think he and Powell are both going to play sizable roles in the playoffs. I do not think they will. 

I agree that moving Powell would mean another (deep bench, break glass in case of emergency - or, young and "developmental," as you say) big is needed. No argument with that at all.

(07-02-2022, 12:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Just to play Devil's advocate, think through this again, but this time under the hypothetical that Kidd never again wants to be in a position to have to play Green during minutes that matter. You probably don't think that way (not sure I do, either). I don't think they want to be rid of the kid, necessarily, but I have no trouble believing that they want to avoid needing him for even one playoff minute this time around. McGee addresses that a little, maybe, but only if you think he and Powell are both going to play sizable roles in the playoffs. I do not think they will. 

I think they can live with Green if they don't need his salary for something else. I suspect they are simply ambivalent of his play at this point. Hardy will likely be the new flavor-of-the-month.

My idea of a "wing" was more of a banger type, not the softer three-ball shooter. I think they could use more of a true PF. But there's been no rumors to pounce on.

Most of the Dallas writers still think there's another player in the works once Durant makes a decision, and that still feels like the most likely scenario.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 12:56 PM)Winter Wrote: My idea of a "wing" was more of a banger type, not the softer three-ball shooter. I think they could use more of a true PF. But there's been no rumors to pounce on.

Absolutely agree. They need another forward, imo. A 4/3 type, or at least another 3/4 type, like DFS. Ideally, an even longer version of that player. 

If DFS got hurt, the season would literally be over. Not because he's sooooo great, but because he's literally the only guy of that type on the roster.

(07-02-2022, 01:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If DFS got hurt, the season would literally be over. Not because he's sooooo great, but because he's literally the only guy of that type on the roster.

No one seems to be trying to engage T J Warren because of his recent injuries, but he would be an interesting addition.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - omahen - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:19 PM)Winter Wrote: No one seems to be trying to engage T J Warren because of his recent injuries, but he would be an interesting addition.

He was bad on defense even before injury, so I am not sure he fits our needs with current roster. On the other hand, for vet min, why not

(07-02-2022, 01:22 PM)omahen Wrote: He was bad on defense even before injury, so I am not sure he fits our needs with current roster. On the other hand, for vet min, why not

I'm sure teams have been all over his medical reports. At this point, without an offer, it's hard to believe he's going to get more than the minimum.

(07-02-2022, 01:24 PM)Winter Wrote: I'm sure teams have been all over his medical reports. At this point, without an offer, it's hard to believe he's going to get more than the minimum.

But if he is healthy, he is likely worth more than vet min.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 07-02-2022

The way I see it, we have: 

8 Guards (9 if Dragic)
3 Centers
1 legit Forward
Bertans in a weird specialty role 
And a G-Leaguer getting paid 11mil to be useless

I know THJ and Reggie will get minutes at SF but we will be giving up a lot of size. DFS needs a backup.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jommybone - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:48 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: The way I see it, we have: 

8 Guards (9 if Dragic)
3 Centers
1 legit Forward
Bertans in a weird specialty role 
And a G-Leaguer getting paid 11mil to be useless

So strange how different we all see things. My view:

PGs: Dinwiddie, Dragic, Hardy
SGs: Bullock, Hardaway, Ntilikina 
SFs: Finney-Smith, Green, Pinson
PFs: Doncic, Kleber, Bertans
Cs: Wood, McGee, Powell

(07-02-2022, 01:52 PM)Jommybone Wrote: So strange how different we all see things. My view:

On this team, everyone over 6'4 can play anywhere it seems like. On offense, screen and then run to the perimeter and wait. Is there another play?

Oh wait, there's the other play one where you screen and then roll to the basket, but not all our players can do both plays. It gets really complicated after that Smile

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 01:52 PM)Jommybone Wrote: So strange how different we all see things. My view:

I’ve got Green and Pinson as guards. Obviously I have Luka as a guard, but using his size to cover up some holes in the roster is an idea that I have also had in the past. Maxi as a 5/4 but who knows what he will be considered as when playing next to Wood.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - MrGoat - 07-03-2022

This type of list is kind of obsolete because a lot these guys will be playing more than one position.  

McGee actually gives us a bit more positional versatility too. Maxi can play more 4 now, and actually a Maxi McGee frontcourt is something we should try because the idea of Maxi being the help defender to McGee is very formidable at the rim. You can actually run some pretty neat old school hybrid sets with Wood and McGee too where Wood can play as a more traditional power forward and provide extra rim attacking if he wants to but still with the threat to stretch and keep mixing it up to keep the other team off balance. You can only play McGee so many minutes but there are plenty of fun and high value options for his minutes

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Smitty - 07-03-2022

PGs: Dinwiddie, Hardy

FIFY

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-05-2022

Some FA centers that are role players that got deals in the past 2 free agencies:

Theis- 4/35.8
Homes- 4/47
Collins- 3/22
Noel- 3/28
Len- 2/7.6

Nurkic- 4/70
Robinson- 4/60
Dedmon- 2/9
Drummond- 2/6.6
Bamba- 2/21
Hartenstein- 2/16
McGee- 3/20.1
Lopez+DAJ- Vet min 1 yr

In terms of AAV, McGee currently ranks 9th out of 14 centers of roughly the same skill level. Even at the bigger 20.1 total, McGee's contract isn't bad at all.