MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - KillerLeft - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The child is the one who refuses to give up on what it cannot have, continuing to throw a tantrum and be mad. 

The adult is the one who moves on when a door is closed and figures out how to make the best of a crummy situation.

Which one, child or adult, keeps going back to a relationship in which they are abused 2-3 times per annum? Asking for a friend.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Fuerza1 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 11:12 AM)loki Wrote: I mean he is an RFA. They have early bird rights and can match any offer. To make that possible, the Arenas provision limits the amount that other teams can offer him in the first year to the non-taxpayer MLE. This is like the THT situation if you're familiar with his contract.

Is 2 years enough time for a thorough evaluation on Jaden Hardy? I don't think he plays year one at all. Year 2? Maybe a glimmer. 

Perhaps that makes him "cheaper" but young players like him are going to want to go somewhere they can get playing time. He is represented by the infamous Klutch Sports Group, and they can surely pull some strings. 

THT was a mistake from the Lakers; I hope the Mavs can get Hardy locked down for the 3-years + RFA deal because year 3 is where you usually see the developmental jump.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:53 AM)audiosway Wrote: And for what Dallas needs McGee is much better than Hartenstein. They already have a shooter in Wood. They need a rebounder/defender.

Also, btw, Javale just turned 34 in January. The last year of the deal is an option. And the deal he got averages $5.5 million per year. Hartenstein averages $8 million per year.

Just sayin

Gotcha. Math wasn't my favorite subject.  We'll see if McGee works out.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Cato says McGee got the full tax MLE...and will not be able to sign Hardy to more than a two year minimum deal.  Said to sign Hardy to a four year deal they would have needed over 1 million of the exception. 

Incredibly disappointing if the Mavs wanted to sign Hardy to a 4 year deal.
  You would think they could have negotiated using the player option to get that extra money.

edit- let me add that it appears he is not 100% solid of the above, but it appears his sources have confirmed some of this.  We will see.

Weird (and bad) reporting about a 4-year deal, that
1 isn't even possible for them to shoot for, and
2 they certainly wouldn't want if it was, in light of what just happened with Brunson

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Smitty - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: Weird (and bad) reporting about a 4-year deal, that
1 isn't even possible for them to shoot for, and
2 they certainly wouldn't want if it was, in light of what just happened with Brunson

With our FO incompetence, if I were Hardy’s agent, I would fight for the “Brunson deal”

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:16 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The good old I only accept things from McMahon reports that fit my narrative...

There is a MASSIVE difference when a reporter ...

1) ....reports something as news.

2) ....quotes somebody else.

MacMahon never said the Mavs refused to offer an extension in January to JB. Instead he quoted someone making that CLAIM. Reporters only put stuff in their own words if they have corroborated it with other sources. 

So again, I have seen nothing that points to the Mavs actually doing what Rick "disgruntled with an agenda" Brunson said while he was in the process of being hired by the team that stole JB away.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

I just watched a 10 minute career highlight video of McGee.  If I didn’t  know better, I would think he had Kevin Garnett’s career
And a sure fire hall of famer.

https://youtu.be/luusJJ4MdfA

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-01-2022

Youtube highlights make everyone an all-star.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jommybone - 07-01-2022

Would the salary story make sense if MaGee was offered 21.1/3 providing the Mavs were able to get below the apron and 17/3 if not? Cuban seems to like that kind of offer. And I’m still convinced that Dragic has a done deal here for more than the minimum. Really hafta think Timmy is heading somewhere on a deal that nets us the full MLE. Perhaps that let’s us acquire Dragic in an s&t?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:42 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Would the salary story make sense if MaGee was offered 21.1/3 providing the Mavs were able to get below the apron and 17/3 if not? Cuban seems to like that kind of offer. And I’m still convinced that Dragic has a done deal here for more than the minimum. Really hafta think Timmy is heading somewhere on a deal that nets us the full MLE. Perhaps that let’s us acquire Dragic in an s&t?

I don' think its likely they are going to trade away enough salary to get the full MLE.  I am skeptical they will do any more trades at all this offseason.  If they have a deal in place with Dragic it has to be for the min, and as each day passes I'm more concerned that is not a done deal either.  I will be wildly disappointed if it turns out we prioritized McGee over Dragic and there are several other contracts that we could have afforded that I would have preferred.  Wood was a good start, but it has been a disaster since then.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Branduil - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:51 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don' think its likely they are going to trade away enough salary to get the full MLE.  I am skeptical they will do any more trades at all this offseason.  If they have a deal in place with Dragic it has to be for the min, and as each day passes I'm more concerned that is not a done deal either.  I will be wildly disappointed if it turns out we prioritized McGee over Dragic and there are several other contracts that we could have afforded that I would have preferred.  Wood was a good start, but it has been a disaster since then.

I would rate the odds of Powell getting traded for a veteran wing pretty high now. Possibly with Green included as an asset.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-02-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:58 PM)Branduil Wrote: I would rate the odds of Powell getting traded for a veteran wing pretty high now. Possibly with Green included as an asset.

I think I agree here just because I can't imagine the roster configuration as it stands now. The whole idea of adding a "wing" (straight out of Nico's mouth) is still not addressed and Bullock and DFS will still play too many minutes.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-02-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:38 PM)Winter Wrote: Youtube highlights make everyone an all-star.

Yes of course.  In now way was I trying to make the McGee signing into something it isn't but I have to admit the highlight package was pretty entertaining. 

I also didn't know he was a three time NBA champion.   What a strange career.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:54 AM)Winter Wrote: I think I agree here just because I can't imagine the roster configuration as it stands now. The whole idea of adding a "wing" (straight out of Nico's mouth) is still not addressed and Bullock and DFS will still play too many minutes.

I agree.  I just hope they had a path figured out and are not trying to uncover something now.     I don't have much hope you get much back in return, but I hope it re-balances the roster.    I am not sure what I think about Gary Harris ( I prefer someone bigger) but  I do wonder if that could be a target.  I heard the Orlando GM after the draft and he was pretty adamant  in his answers regarding this years free agent class that they could have a lot of cap space next summer potentially.  So I wonder if Harris and Bamba both have short stays in Orlando.  

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 06:14 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I also didn't know he was a three time NBA champion.   What a strange career.

I haven't looked at the video, but he's clearly been a player in championship runs. It's just that he's never a main cog, so there's not much press about it.

He's definitely a winner though, and my guess is Kidd was important advocate for him being a Mav.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-02-2022

One thing that we haven´t mentioned at all. Positive. McGee challenges and blocks a lot of shots around the rim. Negative. He is a foul machine. Per36 2nd in the league behind Dedmon. In all his years in the league he never figured out how to play fundamental positional defense. Still all about athleticism.

On the latest Zach Lowe podcast there is a quick McGee mention.  They were talking about Minnesota and Gobert.  This was before the trade.  Both were against the trade for Minnesota because of the Gobert contract (and they don't even know about the asking price yet).

Pelton thought the better direction would be a Looney or Hartenstein player who can play 20-25 minutes at center a night...even if their use is limited in certain playoff series.    Lowe mentioned the Mavs and McGee and said that salary range is what you want to pay a center who can play 15-20 minutes a night.

I am not done with the podcast yet.  They do talk about Brunson and the Knicks.   Haven't heard anything else on the Mavs.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 05:54 AM)Winter Wrote: I think I agree here just because I can't imagine the roster configuration as it stands now. The whole idea of adding a "wing" (straight out of Nico's mouth) is still not addressed and Bullock and DFS will still play too many minutes.

Is it that unbalanced?

Luka gets 32-34 minutes as the primary ball handler.  SD gets 16 there and 12 minutes of ‘wing’ 2/3 time.  If we play ANY two big at all (even if just Maxi/Wood), DFS will eat up a few minutes at the three…lets say another 12.  So, that is 96 minutes minus 24 going to SD and DFS.  That leaves 72 minutes for Bullock, THJ and one of the youngsters (probably still bringing Green along).  So that is 30 for Bullock, 30 for THJ and 12 for Green?

Could you take Powell and Green and trade for a wing?  Yeah, but between Luka, SD, Bullock, THJ and New Wing (and making DFS a full time four), that is 144 minutes divided 5 ways or 28 minutes each (and we know Luka will gobble up more than that).  And we haven’t accounted for anything for Dragic.  Point being do we really need another wing that bad.  It would leave us with Wood, Low Minute McGee and always misses games Maxi as our only bigs.  Personally, I think there is a role for a 4th big and probably some regular minutes if we play two-bigs any percentage of the time at all (and we will).  Now, if you told me the Powell/Green deal brought back a vet wing and a developmental big, then maybe I’m buying it.

(07-02-2022, 08:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is it that unbalanced?

Luka gets 32-34 minutes as the primary ball handler.  SD gets 16 there and 12 minutes of ‘wing’ 2/3 time.  If we play ANY two big at all (even if just Maxi/Wood), DFS will eat up a few minutes at the three…lets say another 12.  So, that is 96 minutes minus 24 going to SD and DFS.  That leaves 72 minutes for Bullock, THJ and one of the youngsters (probably still bringing Green along).  So that is 30 for Bullock, 30 for THJ and 12 for Green?

Could you take Powell and Green and trade for a wing?  Yeah, but between Luka, SD, Bullock, THJ and New Wing (and making DFS a full time four), that is 144 minutes divided 5 ways or 28 minutes each (and we know Luka will gobble up more than that).  And we haven’t accounted for anything for Dragic.  Point being do we really need another wing that bad.  It would leave us with Wood, Low Minute McGee and always misses games Maxi as our only bigs.  Personally, I think there is a role for a 4th big and probably some regular minutes if we play two-bigs any percentage of the time at all (and we will).  Now, if you told me the Powell/Green deal brought back a vet wing and a developmental big, then maybe I’m buying it.

Then you think this is it? or Dragic and that's it?

Because this just sounds empty given the many FO interviews prior to this Free Agency. I will venture to say this is not the Free Agency finish either the FO or the fans imagined. If Powell and/or Green are not traded, then something is amiss. I simply cannot imagine the FO office doing a press conference now and saying FA was successful given our current players.

While the roster is playable, you would go into the playoffs struggling with how to solve the DFS and Bullock minutes (unless somehow you like Wood as a PF).

Edit: I'll happily hold my final opinion until August 23 or another trade happens within that time.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-02-2022

(07-02-2022, 08:53 AM)Winter Wrote: Then you think this is it? or Dragic and that's it?

Because this just sounds empty given the many FO interviews prior to this Free Agency. I will venture to say this is not the Free Agency finish either the FO or the fans imagined. If Powell and/or Green are not traded, then something is amiss. I simply cannot imagine the FO office doing a press conference now and saying FA was successful given our current players.

While the roster is playable, you would go into the playoffs struggling with how to solve the DFS and Bullock minutes (unless somehow you like Wood as a PF).

Edit: I'll happily hold my final opinion until August 23 or another trade happens within that time.

I think they’ve set themselves up ‘to’ be done (if it comes to that) and can now try things to improve on what they have.