MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:08 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Some nice posts this morning.  I don't think Powell is gone, but I also don't see 40 minutes of McGee/Powell either.  There are too many mouths to fee at the 4/5 between Wood, McGee, Maxi, Powell and some DFS minutes at the four for that to happen.  I hedged on Powell last night thinking that maybe something like this is possible which would move Maxi to the five more behind McGee and DFS to the four more when Wood is playing center as a part time lineup instead of the base lineup.  

If anyone cares to go back and look, my advocacy for bringing in another center was mostly about flexibility.  We are a really long team that rebounds well with McGee, Wood, DFS and Luka.  We are a very different beast if you remove McGee and move Wood to Center.  We won't rebound or defend as well, but boy do we have a chance to blow people away offensive.y.  We need to be able to do both well and McGee provides things in limited minutes that Powell couldn't.  I think there needs to be another true big (not DFS) besides McGee, Wood and Maxi.  Who knows if it will be Powell or someone cheaper.  Powell in this limited role will be more than adequate.

To you point about an overpay, it doesn't have to be Harris coming here.  He could go to a third team and someone else could come here.  Maybe Detroit and we end up with Burks?  Too many moving parts and reported Mav's targets still on the board to think through all the possibilities.

Agree with most of this. Just don´t think that McGee at his current age is the best solution. Especially because the Mavs desperately need to address the lack of assets on the roster.
Other problem is that basketball doesn´t allow for as many situationable subs as other sports. Flexiblity is important and will hopefully help the Mavs in certain matchups but it always comes with a trade off. In this case rim protection + rebounding instead of perimeter defense/switching + shooting.

I am not sure if McGee will be a part of the 7-8 man playoff rotation that we talked about in the last couple of weeks. Would argue that his value in the last few seasons was more about his durability in the regular season. In the playoffs he was an afterthought. Suns tried to give him a few spot minutes. Lakers made a crucial decision and benched him for the rest of their playoff run after a couple of bad games in the WCFs.

I think of him as a regular season body that can reduce the load of Woods and Kleber. But when it matters I don´t want to see him on the floor.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Branduil - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Cato says McGee got the full tax MLE...and will not be able to sign Hardy to more than a two year minimum deal.  Said to sign Hardy to a four year deal they would have needed over 1 million of the exception. 

Incredibly disappointing if the Mavs wanted to sign Hardy to a 4 year deal.  You would think they could have negotiated using the player option to get that extra money.

edit- let me add that it appears he is not 100% solid of the above, but it appears his sources have confirmed some of this.  We will see.

It would be pretty amazing if they immediately repeated the Brunson mistake after seeing its consequences.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Agree with most of this. Just don´t think that McGee at his current age is the best solution. Especially because the Mavs desperately need to address the lack of assets on the roster.
Other problem is that basketball doesn´t allow for as many situationable subs as other sports. Flexiblity is important and will hopefully help the Mavs in certain matchups but it always comes with a trade off. In this case rim protection + rebounding instead of perimeter defense/switching + shooting.

I am not sure if McGee will be a part of the 7-8 man playoff rotation that we talked about in the last couple of weeks. Would argue that his value in the last few seasons was more about his durability in the regular season. In the playoffs he was an afterthought. Suns tried to give him a few spot minutes. Lakers made a crucial decision and benched him for the rest of their playoff run after a couple of bad games in the WCFs.

I think of him as a regular season body that can reduce the load of Woods and Kleber. But when it matters I don´t want to see him on the floor.

I agree for the most part.   Although I am not sure who or what was available.   I think he could be a pretty nice part this year....but does it matter at this point?

Years 2 and 3?  Ideally you would want someone who may be a 5 million investment now but in the next year or two is a 10 million dollar asset.  I don't think McGee will be that.  He may not be someone we want on the team in 2 years.   

I do think a 15-20 minute center is better priced at 5-6 million rather than 10 million per year.  So that is solid roster thinking.  But it is tough to come to grips when we have so many recently acquired players who have over valued contracts.

(07-01-2022, 08:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Agree with most of this. Just don´t think that McGee at his current age is the best solution. Especially because the Mavs desperately need to address the lack of assets on the roster.

I agree for the most part.   Although I am not sure who or what was available.   I think he could be a pretty nice part this year....but does it matter at this point?

Years 2 and 3?  Ideally you would want someone who may be a 5 million investment now but in the next year or two is a 10 million dollar asset.  I don't think McGee will be that.  He may not be someone we want on the team in 2 years.   

I do think a 15-20 minute center is better priced at 5-6 million rather than 10 million per year.  So that is solid roster thinking.  But it is tough to come to grips when we have so many recently acquired players who have over valued contracts.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Cato says McGee got the full tax MLE...and will not be able to sign Hardy to more than a two year minimum deal.  Said to sign Hardy to a four year deal they would have needed over 1 million of the exception. 

Incredibly disappointing if the Mavs wanted to sign Hardy to a 4 year deal.  You would think they could have negotiated using the player option to get that extra money.

edit- let me add that it appears he is not 100% solid of the above, but it appears his sources have confirmed some of this.  We will see.

Chicago.... Here's the more complete story about which source to believe.

NBA Free Agency: Contracts for JaVale McGee and Jaden Hardy - Mavs Moneyball

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - loki - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:48 AM)Branduil Wrote: It would be pretty amazing if they immediately repeated the Brunson mistake after seeing its consequences.

Hardy would be a RFA after two years and the Arenas provision prevents other teams from offering more than Dallas can match. Shouldn't be a problem.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1542883842431877130

He left off Satnam Singh though.

Conclussion...never stop looking under every rock.   Player evaluation and development never stops.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:55 AM)mvossman Wrote: Hartenstein is a better player than Mcgee, much younger, and a better defender.  I realize he got paid more per year, but if we gave the contract we just gave to McGee to Hartenstein (or Jalen Smith) the reaction would be much more positive on this board.

He got paid a number the Mavs literally couldn't get to without trading 2-3 guys to open up the full MLE.

Hartenstein wasn't ever a realistic get.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - michaeltex - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 09:55 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1542883842431877130

He left off Satnam Singh though.

Conclussion...never stop looking under every rock.   Player evaluation and development never stops.

Agree with your conclussion... Tongue
Interesting that 9 of 12 were 2nd round picks or UDFAs. And they say there is little value after the 1st round.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 09:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He got paid a number the Mavs literally couldn't get to without trading 2-3 guys to open up the full MLE.

Hartenstein wasn't ever a realistic get.

I never said he was.  I responded to the suggestion that McGee was a better option than Hartenstein (which is strongly disagreed with).

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - michaeltex - 07-01-2022

I just read all 12+ pages of this thread and the change in the overall tenor has been interesting. It went from WTF!!! to "Hmmmm...maybe there is something workable here". But that was also true about the KP trade thread. 

I do think this is a good add. He's a better rim protector and rebounder than anyone else currently on the team. Looking at some of the game highlights, he doesn't seem to clog up the paint, giving room for Luka, et. al., to operate effectively.

FWIW, I read somewhere in the last 12+ hours that Magee thinks one of his roles was to help mentor and train Ayton on how to be an effective NBA center. Helping him with footwork and situational recognition, etc. I submit that he could provide a similar role for Woods to improve his defensive effectiveness.

It takes more than one man in the middle. Even in 2011 Chandler was replaced by Haywood for some key matchups. Sometimes due to foul trouble, sometimes due to effectiveness. Everyone remembers TC, but Haywood was a key contributor who took a bench role after signing to be the starter pre-Chandler. I think DAL started last season with 7 "bigs" on the roster and ended with 3, maybe 4, of which only 2 were somewhat playable, and only Maxi against GSW. Attrition and matchups take their toll.

IMO, Magee makes Powell, and his expiring $11M contract, very, very expendable. 

I think Maxi stays, but his non-guaranteed salary for next season could be trade bait as well. But that would have to happen by Sunday, 7/3.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 09:36 AM)loki Wrote: Hardy would be a RFA after two years and the Arenas provision prevents other teams from offering more than Dallas can match. Shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think that is true?  I think it needs to be 3 years in order for him to be an RFA.  That is one of the biggest reasons they want to give him a 3 year deal (and full bird rights).

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:40 AM)mvossman Wrote: I never said he was.  I responded to the suggestion that McGee was a better option than Hartenstein (which is strongly disagreed with).

Right but what I was trying to say is that Hartenstein was never an option.

(07-01-2022, 10:53 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Right but what I was trying to say is that Hartenstein was never an option.

Understood.  I am curious to see what Jalen Smith ends up getting.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - loki - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:51 AM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think that is true?  I think it needs to be 3 years in order for him to be an RFA.  That is one of the biggest reasons they want to give him a 3 year deal (and full bird rights).

It's 3 years or fewer to become a RFA. They wouldn't have full bird rights as you mentioned, but they can still match any offer.

https://twitter.com/nba_university/status/1542658799093403649?s=21&t=bvF9hE21orITMmfH2wgDyg

(07-01-2022, 10:58 AM)loki Wrote: It's 3 years or fewer to become a RFA. They wouldn't have full bird rights as you mentioned, but they can still match any offer.

So what does that mean?  He is not an RFA but they can match an offer?  What is the difference?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:45 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Helping him with footwork and situational recognition, etc. I submit that he could provide a similar role for Woods to improve his defensive effectiveness.

If there is one thing that Javal cannot teach it is footwork. If someone would have managed to teach him the fundamentals we wouldn´t be looking at a career backup.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Branduil - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 10:45 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I just read all 12+ pages of this thread and the change in the overall tenor has been interesting. It went from WTF!!! to "Hmmmm...maybe there is something workable here". But that was also true about the KP trade thread. 

I do think this is a good add. He's a better rim protector and rebounder than anyone else currently on the team. Looking at some of the game highlights, he doesn't seem to clog up the paint, giving room for Luka, et. al., to operate effectively.

FWIW, I read somewhere in the last 12+ hours that Magee thinks one of his roles was to help mentor and train Ayton on how to be an effective NBA center. Helping him with footwork and situational recognition, etc. I submit that he could provide a similar role for Woods to improve his defensive effectiveness.

It takes more than one man in the middle. Even in 2011 Chandler was replaced by Haywood for some key matchups. Sometimes due to foul trouble, sometimes due to effectiveness. Everyone remembers TC, but Haywood was a key contributor who took a bench role after signing to be the starter pre-Chandler. I think DAL started last season with 7 "bigs" on the roster and ended with 3, maybe 4, of which only 2 were somewhat playable, and only Maxi against GSW. Attrition and matchups take their toll.

IMO, Magee makes Powell, and his expiring $11M contract, very, very expendable. 

I think Maxi stays, but his non-guaranteed salary for next season could be trade bait as well. But that would have to happen by Sunday, 7/3.

I think this could actually be a big aspect of this signing. I don't doubt McGee has a lot to teach younger bigs about how to learn from your mistakes.

(07-01-2022, 11:03 AM)mvossman Wrote: So what does that mean?  He is not an RFA but they can match an offer?  What is the difference?

He would be a full RFA, but it limits what his overall salary can be I'm pretty sure.

If Hardy were to be signed for 2 years, at the end of his deal he'd be a RFA, and the Mavs would only have Early-Bird rights on him, which means they could only resign him either 1) his first year salary 175% his previous year salary, or 105% of the average player salary for the prior season. 

Other teams would be limited in the amount of money they could throw at Hardy as well to only the full-MLE, due to the Gilbert Arenas provision. This occurred because  after Arenas' 2nd year, he was offered a max contract by the Wizards that the Warriors couldn't match because they had Early-Bird rights on Arenas and were forced to let him go. 

Should Hardy play out his 2 years and not get extended, the most he'd be able to get in year 3 from any team I assume is around 10 mil a year based on the projected cap increase

(07-01-2022, 11:03 AM)mvossman Wrote: So what does that mean?  He is not an RFA but they can match an offer?  What is the difference?

I mean he is an RFA. They have early bird rights and can match any offer. To make that possible, the Arenas provision limits the amount that other teams can offer him in the first year to the non-taxpayer MLE. This is like the THT situation if you're familiar with his contract.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/2/8/22272900/lakers-talen-horton-tucker-free-agency-contract-explainer-arenas-rule