MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 03:08 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Based on the board's reaction to the Dinwiddie and Bertans trade, and a reading of this thread, I predict that JaVale will be great for the Mavs.:-)

This is funny and definitely an element of truth to it, but I still think they did a poor job on the return and the timing was bad.  The reason it turned out better than most (including the "experts") anticipated was mostly due to KP having a much more toxic impact on the team than realized.  There were other factors like Luka finally getting back to his normal level of play at roughly that time, and Dinwiddie being on a heater for the 20+ games after the trade.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:53 AM)audiosway Wrote: And for what Dallas needs McGee is much better than Hartenstein. They already have a shooter in Wood. They need a rebounder/defender.

Also, btw, Javale just turned 34 in January. The last year of the deal is an option. And the deal he got averages $5.5 million per year. Hartenstein averages $8 million per year.

Just sayin

Hartenstein is a better player than Mcgee, much younger, and a better defender.  I realize he got paid more per year, but if we gave the contract we just gave to McGee to Hartenstein (or Jalen Smith) the reaction would be much more positive on this board.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:36 AM)mvossman Wrote: The reality is that if we make that contract correctly, Jalen is a restricted free agent last year with NY desperate to get him and the Mavs not thinking he was worth a max extension (like most of this board).  Odds are they either make an offer we don't match or we trade him to them for very limited assets (not our 23 pick).  If there were mistakes with Brunson they were:

Not offering a max extension.  It was a tough decision last summer and I understand why the would not.  If they really could have signed him to the max extension in January, then that was a huge mistake, but Rick Brunson had a huge agenda and I don't really trust anything he has said through this process.  There is also a reasonable chance Brunson does not that that extension even in the summer.  There were thoughts even then that he wanted to be the PG on a team and wanted to test out free agency.

Not trading at deadline.  The question is what they could have gotten?  If NY thinks they already have Brunson in the bag in the summer and most other NBA teams have the same thought, then there might not have been that much on the table.

Not doing an S&T.  Burks and our 23 would have been a no brainer, but not sure that was on the table.  Did they have to pay anything to dump Burks?  Otherwise the only real option was to pay tax dollars for draft capital.  How often does a tax team take on more salary/tax for draft capital?  

Offer 5/125 for Brunson.  My understanding is that they would not go this high.  If this would have gotten him, then this is their biggest mistake.  At worst he is a neutral asset on that contract.  He is starting in the low 20s with the cap likely going up in.  I don't think he is the perfect fit on this team, and we most likely would have eventually traded him, but we should have offered that.  I'm not sure he takes it though.  I think his mind was made up to go to NY.

GREAT post.

(06-30-2022, 11:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: Explore? Why do you think McGee isn't the result of exploring for what is available at their price, and taking the one who best fits a need?

Clearly there were a lot of players THEY would have wanted to get with their MLE too, and found out it was not possible. I have looked at the list. I see lots of names we hoped would be taking txMLE, and all of them got bigger deals. I see some they pursued, who either have taken a bigger deal already or are talking to others with bigger numbers than Mavs could offer.

When that happens, ya gotta move on to players who ARE available and can fill a need. And if you wait, they sign elsewhere instead.

There are a lot of names that have not signed yet that I would much rather sign. 

This is the same mentality we used to sign Burke.  The similarities are striking.  Carve out a chunk of your exception for a player most thought would be a vet min because you witnessed a small sample of him playing well.  Give them a player option in the third year, which seems crazy but given there is literally no chance that player will be worth their contract in year 3, it doesn't really matter.  

Mcgee is a better player than Burke, but he is 34 year old 270 pound 7 foot center whos game is predicated on his athleticism.  He is due for falling of the cliff performance wise, and it very likely will happen during this contract.

My other issue is I see this as a potential net negative to the roster.  If Kamm is right, and we are sending out Powell in a trade and using Mcgee as a backup bruiser, then fine.  But I am worried that Dan is right, and he was told he would be the starter because that is the plan.  If they are going with primarily two bigs and McGee and Powell are going to be getting 40+ minutes a game, then I see that as a real problem.  They are the 8th and 9th best players on this roster at best (9th and 10th if we sign Dragic unless this contract fucked that up).  I think we will be a worse team with those two getting the majority of the 5 minutes.  Wood is much more interesting to me as a 5 on offense.  If he is going to be playing with McGee and Powell, then we are not going to see a lot of P&R from him.  Given that the only offense that has worked in the playoffs is 5 out, it seems like that should be a big part of our regular season plan.  Also, one of the few good things about Brunson walking is that it clears up some minutes congestion for the kids to get a little development time.  Now it looks like we are going to give most of those minutes to a 34 year old backup center and Powell.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - hakeemfaan - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:47 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thanks for confirming it. You sobered up and changed your opinion when you learned that Brunson would leave. All month long he was worth it. Two days ago he wasn´t.

IMO that’s a bit unfair. 

This is normal human psychology. You want to buy something. If it is slightly beyond what you want to pay for it, you first think it is still ok. Then when decision time arrives you start thinking more about the money you are going to lay down and focus on the negatives. Then when you decide to not buy it at all you rationalize it away convincing yourself that it was never good at all. 

@"cow" might be correct that the Mavs might have needed 30 mill per year to get Jalen to change his mind after they blew their chances for more than two years now to get him lower.  That’s fine. However as it stands a 4/104 that the Knicks got him at is a pretty solid deal given his age, skill set, productivity, and work ethic. He didn’t give us the chance at the end to make the same offer. If he did that salary is definitely not a wild overpay by any means.  Maybe a slight overpay, but I don’t see the Knicks or any team who would have given Brunson that contract having regrets down the road.  He is a solid player and that’s what you have to pay.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-01-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:11 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think I saw that Brunson's deal is declining and starts at $28mm.  If true, the BYC number is $14mm for TPE or trade purposes.   

I don't believe this is true.  If you add up the Knicks roster with Brunson at $24.186mm and Hartenstein at $7.8mm, you have exactly what you need to retain the cap hold on Robinson.  BTW, Hartenstein is also a CAA guy.

The only way Brunson could start at the larger number and decline is if the Knicks operated as an over the cap team (meaning a S&T involving Dallas and Detroit).  Time will tell.  I think Dallas and NY would both benefit from doing it that way.  For those keeping up with which agents Nico deals with, McGee is a Wasserman guy (specifically B.J. Armstrong).  I don't think we currently have a Wasserman player, but Delon Wright is and we signed him as a FA (technically a S&T if memory serves).

My single cup of coffee math on Detroit is they have $8.68mm of room left.  Bagley got more than I expected and I didn't see the Knox thing coming.  So, they don't have room for us to just dump THJ or Powell or whatever.  We would have to take something back, but could save up to $8.68mm in the process.  Something like THJ outgoing and Burks coming back uses up almost all of that $8.68mm

The Gary Harris thing is interesting as an extension instead of a signing at $12.5mm this year.  That makes him immediately trade eligible according to Keith Smith.  What caught my attention is Harris is a CAA client like Brunson (are we going to go a decade with Mark not signing any CAA clients like we did with Duffy?).  At that number, Harris isn't a trade match here for anything other than Powell/Green.  Obviously there are 30 other teams and not everything is about the Mav's.  Just something to keep an eye on.

(07-01-2022, 07:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't believe this is true.  If you add up the Knicks roster with Brunson at $24.186mm and Hartenstein at $7.8mm, you have exactly what you need to retain the cap hold on Robinson.  BTW, Hartenstein is also a CAA guy.

The only way Brunson could start at the larger number and decline is if the Knicks operated as an over the cap team (meaning a S&T involving Dallas and Detroit).  Time will tell.  I think Dallas and NY would both benefit from doing it that way.  For those keeping up with which agents Nico deals with, McGee is a Wasserman guy (specifically B.J. Armstrong).  I don't think we currently have a Wasserman player, but Delon Wright is and we signed him as a FA (technically a S&T if memory serves).

My single cup of coffee math on Detroit is they have $8.68mm of room left.  Bagley got more than I expected and I didn't see the Knox thing coming.  So, they don't have room for us to just dump THJ or Powell or whatever.  We would have to take something back, but could save up to $8.68mm in the process.  Something like THJ outgoing and Burks coming back uses up almost all of that $8.68mm

The Gary Harris thing is interesting as an extension instead of a signing at $12.5mm this year.  That makes him immediately trade eligible according to Keith Smith.  What caught my attention is Harris is a CAA client like Brunson (are we going to go a decade with Mark not signing any CAA clients like we did with Duffy?).  At that number, Harris isn't a trade match here for anything other than Powell/Green.  Obviously there are 30 other teams and not everything is about the Mav's.  Just something to keep an eye on.

I feel like that is an overpay for Harris, but a Powelll/Green for Harris trade (along with a Dragic signing) would make this offseason a lot less painful.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:24 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: IMO that’s a bit unfair. 

This is normal human psychology. You want to buy something. If it is slightly beyond what you want to pay for it, you first think it is still ok. Then when decision time arrives you start thinking more about the money you are going to lay down and focus on the negatives. Then when you decide to not buy it all you rationalize it away convincing yourself that it was never good at all. 

@"cow" might be correct that the Mavs might have needed 30 mill per year to get Jalen to change his mind after they blew their chances for more than two years now to get him lower.  That’s fine. However as it stands a 4/104 that the Knicks got him at is a pretty solid deal given his age, skill set, productivity, and work ethic. He didn’t give us the chance at the end to make the same offer. If he did that salary is definitely not a wild overpay but any means.  Maybe a slight but I don’t see the Knicks or any team who would have given Brunson that contract having regrets down the road.  He is a solid player and that’s what you have to pay.

My psychology reference would be a child asking for a new toy. Not getting it. Throwing a tantrum. Suddenly not wanting it in the first place. I guess that´s human nature as well.
It is pretty obvious why the narrative changed. And it has nothing to do with Brunson´s level of play or the contract size.
Maybe I should apologize because I singled out @"SleepingHero" but it couldn´t be more obvious that the amount of "critical" posts sky rocketed when the rumors that mentioned the Knicks as his likely destination appeared.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-01-2022

Found this in a tweet

Last Year, McGee had

23 more blocks than Dallas’ leading shot blocker, Maxi Kleber in 287 less minutes played

more rebounds than anyone on the Mavericks except Luka Doncic with 496

286 2-pointers at 63.7%, which was more than any Maverick except Luka & Jalen Brunson

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: My psychology reference would be a child asking for a new toy. Not getting it. Throwing a tantrum. Suddenly not wanting it in the first place. I guess that´s human nature as well.

The child is the one who refuses to give up on what it cannot have, continuing to throw a tantrum and be mad. 

The adult is the one who moves on when a door is closed and figures out how to make the best of a crummy situation.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - hakeemfaan - 07-01-2022

@Winter    Wasn’t McGee bad in the playoffs though?  Didn’t do much.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jmaciscool - 07-01-2022

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread or not, but this is a good read on Javale:

https://www.theringer.com/2022/5/10/23064200/javale-mcgee-phoenix-suns-nba-playoffs

It was originally published during this year's playoffs during the Mavs/Suns series.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - hakeemfaan - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The child is the one who refuses to give up on what it cannot have, continuing to throw a tantrum and be mad. 

The adult is the one who moves on when a door is closed and figures out how to make the best of a crummy situation.

You have to move on beacause wth else can the Mavs do. 

However making false narratives and tearing down something you lost seems more like a sour grapes mentality than being an adult. An adult would just admit the screw up and move on.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The child is the one who refuses to give up on what it cannot have, continuing to throw a tantrum and be mad. 

Gotcha. Fuck up. Follow it up with. Not my fault. What I am supposed to do. We should move on and act like it never happened. Or maybe for once. Self reflect. Figure out where things went wrong. Instead of repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Free agency on this board is the same experience every single year. Collective amnesia. Takes 1-2 days for people to forget that they argued in favor or against something for month. Sadly the internet doesn´t forget. And for a person like me that listened to or read the takes of the last few month it is hard to understand why this happens.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Kammrath - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:48 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: However making false narratives and tearing down something you lost seems more like a sour grapes mentality than being an adult. An adult would just admit the screw up and move on.

Who is making false narratives? No one exactly knows what happened with JB, but we can look back at the data:

1) Under Donnie who was well connected to his family, JB was not signed to be a RFA in his last season.

2) Donnie leaves DAL in a cloud of dysfunction and conflict.

3) JB has a really poor playoff showing in RC's last year.

4) Nico comes in and does not sign JB to an extension.

5) JB starts the year playing very well. 

6) Nico tries to trade JB at the deadline (whispers being that everyone knows he is going to NYK).

7) Nico tries to sign JB to an extension after the TDL, but JB refuses to sign. 

8) On April 16, Rick Brunson says JB is going to re-sign in DAL.

9) In the first three games against UTA, JB puts up 30+ points and Mavs take a 2-1 lead.

10) On April 25, Rick Brunson goes to MacMahon and creates a whole narrative on how the Mavs have mistreated/undervalued his son. RB claims that DAL would not offer an extension in January (a fact that has not be corroborated by anyone else, a seemingly fictitious creation)

11) Less than six weeks later (early June), Rick Brunson is hired as assistant coach to NYK. 

12) On draft night (June 23), NYK makes VERY costly moves to get cap space.

13) News begins to leak that JB is heading to NYK and NYK is certain of that.

14) News leaks that NYK, DAL, and MIA will all get to pitch JB. MIA knows nothing about such a meeting.

15) DAL is refused to meet with JB. DAL is never allowed to make any contract offer to JB.

16) News leaks that NYK deal is done, exact money is known.

17) Woj then claims that DAL has given JB an offer (DAL adamantly refuses this) and JB is going to meet with NYK AFTER free agency starts.

18) Woj then says that JB is signing with NYK (for the exact numbers reported by Shams and others a day before).

False narratives? That would be Brunson's camp.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - DanSchwartzgan - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:31 AM)mvossman Wrote: I feel like that is an overpay for Harris, but a Powelll/Green for Harris trade (along with a Dragic signing) would make this offseason a lot less painful.

Some nice posts this morning.  I don't think Powell is gone, but I also don't see 40 minutes of McGee/Powell either.  There are too many mouths to fee at the 4/5 between Wood, McGee, Maxi, Powell and some DFS minutes at the four for that to happen.  I hedged on Powell last night thinking that maybe something like this is possible which would move Maxi to the five more behind McGee and DFS to the four more when Wood is playing center as a part time lineup instead of the base lineup.  

If anyone cares to go back and look, my advocacy for bringing in another center was mostly about flexibility.  We are a really long team that rebounds well with McGee, Wood, DFS and Luka.  We are a very different beast if you remove McGee and move Wood to Center.  We won't rebound or defend as well, but boy do we have a chance to blow people away offensive.y.  We need to be able to do both well and McGee provides things in limited minutes that Powell couldn't.  I think there needs to be another true big (not DFS) besides McGee, Wood and Maxi.  Who knows if it will be Powell or someone cheaper.  Powell in this limited role will be more than adequate.

To you point about an overpay, it doesn't have to be Harris coming here.  He could go to a third team and someone else could come here.  Maybe Detroit and we end up with Burks?  Too many moving parts and reported Mav's targets still on the board to think through all the possibilities.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 08:08 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: .

To you point about an overpay, it doesn't have to be Harris coming here.  He could go to a third team and someone else could come here.  Maybe Detroit and we end up with Burks?  Too many moving parts and reported Mav's targets still on the board to think through all the possibilities.

Is it possible for us to receive Burks and Detroit gets Powell?    Burks coming off injury and I would have preferred a bigger wing this summer.  But he could provide more value than Powell.   Detroit may not care.   Powell is an expiring and can be a good veteran presence to the young guys.   

How bout a three team trade where Powell goes somewhere and Crowder comes here?  

I think if we move Powell it really should be for another expiring, unless it is a clear upgrade over the next few years.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 07:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Who is making false narratives? No one exactly knows what happened with JB, but we can look back at the data:

1) Under Donnie who was well connected to his family, JB was not signed to be a RFA in his last season.

6) Nico tries to trade JB at the deadline (whispers being that everyone knows he is going to NYK).

9) In the first three games against UTA, JB puts up 30+ points and Mavs take a 2-1 lead.

10) On April 25, Rick Brunson goes to MacMahon and creates a whole narrative on how the Mavs have mistreated/undervalued his son. RB claims that DAL would not offer an extension in January (a fact that has not be corroborated by anyone else, a seemingly fictitious creation)

11) Less than six weeks later (early June), Rick Brunson is hired as assistant coach to NYK. 

14) News leaks that NYK, DAL, and MIA will all get to pitch JB. MIA knows nothing about such a meeting.

15) DAL is refused to meet with JB. DAL is never allowed to make any contract offer to JB.

17) Woj then claims that DAL has given JB an offer (DAL adamantly refuses this) and JB is going to meet with NYK AFTER free agency starts.

18) Woj then says that JB is signing with NYK (for the exact numbers reported by Shams and others a day before).

The good old I only accept things from McMahon reports that fit my narrative...

Are the Mavs hiring? Maybe you should try your luck in the Mavs PR department. Throwing shades at anyone that doesn´t belong to the current regime. Deflecting any blame.

By the way the false narrative stuff was about the stuff that happens on this board. When people that celebrated Brunson suddenly go out of their way to criticize his performance. When people that wanted to sign him to a contract in the 25 per year range or even more suddenly change their mind and argue that he isn´t worth as much. As far as I know the available information didn´t change. No extra game was played. Only thing that changed was him joining the Knicks.
As I already said. One option would be self reflecting and figuring out why things ended like this. The other option that seems to be really popular is deflecting blame and being a sore loser.

(07-01-2022, 07:59 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Who is making false narratives? No one exactly knows what happened with JB, but we can look back at the data:

Kamm I am not talking about the sequence at the end. I am just saying that the narrative that Brunson was never that good or the NY wildly overpaid him or the other moves that the Mavs can make will more than adequately compensate for this loss are all false. 

It is not about what Brunson will do in NY or what he did against GS. It is about what a team that has Wood, Luka, and Jalen could have done.  The Mavs messed up this pooch and if it was just a last minute mess up due to things they could not control, that is fine. A mess up that dates back to a couple of years where they failed to properly evaluate their own talent on a team that doesn’t have a plethora of it and lock up that talent is inexcusable.  Then the fan base engaging in narratives to tear down that player once he is gone seems even worse.  We lost a solid player yesterday for nothing.  The only thing that can make it better is the league forcing the Knicks to give up a FRP for obvious tampering. I am not holding my breath on that though.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M? OR $17.2M? to DAL | expects to start at center? - Chicagojk - 07-01-2022

Cato says McGee got the full tax MLE...and will not be able to sign Hardy to more than a two year minimum deal.  Said to sign Hardy to a four year deal they would have needed over 1 million of the exception. 

Incredibly disappointing if the Mavs wanted to sign Hardy to a 4 year deal.  You would think they could have negotiated using the player option to get that extra money.

edit- let me add that it appears he is not 100% solid of the above, but it appears his sources have confirmed some of this.  We will see.