MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:57 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Sometimes it helps to be confronted with your own takes. Tell me. Do you see a difference between your evaluation of Brunson before and after he decided to leave?

Absolutely and I'm glad you brought these up. I 100% believed post playoffs that Brunson was a unicorn. I thought he was worth 5/125. I stand by all those takes when I made them.

But you also left out a post I made earlier this week where I sat back and did a relook on Brunson as a lead guy, and how the Mavs were largely a bad team with him getting more of a lead ball handler role.

An excerpt: 

Quote:Further, I was perfectly willing to hand Brunson a contract of 5/125 following the playoffs, and even then had some wiggle room in me to go higher. But as I stewed and ruminated I started to come back down to Earth. I kept saying, how many other guards could produce well next to Luka at a replacement Brunson level? Are they all worth more than 25 mil a year? I couldn't honestly say yes.  That made me start to sober up from JB. He's a great player, he flashed some great moments as a fit next to Luka,  but he just isn't worth that money full stop. 

Are we not allowed to change our opinions when presented with new information? As I said, I sobered up from JB and what he brought. I have maintained that I think Brunson is a great player, but at the end of the day I just do not think he's worth that money. I also think there are several other guards that could play off Luka and excel just as well as Brunson did, although maybe not as efficiently.  And I think I've been pretty consistent about that. 

Again in that very same post I lamented about the Mavs inability to learn from their mistakes, and how they squander assets. They deserve to be criticized for this. But overpaying Brunson would've been another mistake as well. 

I said as such here:

Quote:But to continue the merry-go-round of mismanaging by overpaying JB screams to me a panic move.  I don't think panic overpaying makes sense, and I truly believe the Mavs can at least in the short term find viable replacement guys that can allow us to find an even better player than Brunson as a permanent replacement later on. It sounds like plan powder, but the terms have changed and the Mavs are a powerhouse right now having just made the WCF. I think good players will want to play with Luka. 

I'm going to leave out the fact you took some of these quotes out of context, because it's mincing words. At the end of the day we both agree Brunson is a good player. We also agree the Mavs front office (read: Cuban) makes mistakes that are reminiscent of a 13 year old playing 2K. But where we diverge is whether or not it was worth paying Brunson a premium to 1) retain the asset, and 2) maintain the roster construction as it was. And I changed my mind on that number after seeing the raw stats Brunson put up next to Luka, and how bad the team was with Brunson as the sole lead guard along with other minute reasons. 

This was further reinforced when it became more and more likely that Brunson didn't care about the money and just wanted a bigger role, something the Mavs could never offer. At that point I was resigned with the move.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

Thanks for confirming it. You sobered up and changed your opinion when you learned that Brunson would leave. All month long he was worth it. Two days ago he wasn´t.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:17 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The pathetic part is how predictable this fanbase is. Brunson leaves and we immediately start to trash him. Question his character. Act like he wasn´t good in the first place. Act like him leaving was the only possible outcome. Not like the Mavs had anything to do with it.

(07-01-2022, 02:47 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thanks for confirming it. You sobered up and changed your opinion when you learned that Brunson would leave. All month long he was worth it. Two days ago he wasn´t.

Quote:SleepingHero: I have maintained that I think Brunson is a great player, but at the end of the day I just do not think he's worth that money.

Quote:SleepingHero:

He's a great player, he flashed some great moments as a fit next to Luka,  but he just isn't worth that money full stop.

I did not change my opinion on Brunson the player. I changed my opinion on what Brunson the player was worth. You do realize the difference in that right?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I did not change my opinion on Brunson the player. I changed my opinion on what Brunson the player was worth. You do realize the difference in that right?

All of a sudden when it was confirmed that he would leave...

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavsfan12 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 02:47 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thanks for confirming it. You sobered up and changed your opinion when you learned that Brunson would leave. All month long he was worth it. Two days ago he wasn´t.

You are criticizing the man, but do you actually think that JB is worth 26M per?  That was such a Knick thing to do!  We will never know if the Mavs would have paid up to preserve the asset, (which is what MC said he was going to do), but for them, it was only money.  The Knicks used 28M in capspace on a non-star player.  JB is a good player.  Even a very good player.  He doesn't make that team a contender and they will continue on the mediocre treadmill because of it (and other Knick moves, including a strangely fitted roster).  I wish him well, but he won't win like the Mavs will.  He is set to be the highest paid player on that team, and JB should not be any team's best player.  Not a knock on him.  He just isn't a star.  I think that is perfectly reasonable conclusion for anyone to come to, and you are fine if you want to make the case otherwise.

(07-01-2022, 02:56 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: All of a sudden when it was confirmed that he would leave...

No not when he was confirmed to leave, but rather when it was the reported the $ that the Knicks were signing him to did I get cold feet.

I looked at what $25M buys you in today's NBA and I thought that Brunson would've been in the lower 1/3rd talent wise in terms of players earning that. It turns out the Knicks gave him even more than $25M a year, which meant the Mavs probably would've had to go to at least near $30M to get Jalen to think about coming back. 

At what price is it ludicrous to pay to maintain the asset? Again, I like Brunson the player. I did not suddenly harbor ill-feelings toward him the moment the Knicks became the frontrunner, and I kept reiterating a 5/110 deal after the draft as a number I'd like him at. The Knicks blew that out of the water.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - fifteenth - 07-01-2022

Based on the board's reaction to the Dinwiddie and Bertans trade, and a reading of this thread, I predict that JaVale will be great for the Mavs.:-)

(07-01-2022, 03:00 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: You are criticizing the man, but do you actually think that JB is worth 26M per?  That was such a Knick thing to do!  We will never know if the Mavs would have paid up to preserve the asset, (which is what MC said he was going to do), but for them, it was only money.  The Knicks used 28M in capspace on a non-star player.  JB is a good player.  Even a very good player.  He doesn't make that team a contender and they will continue on the mediocre treadmill because of it (and other Knick moves, including a strangely fitted roster).  I wish him well, but he won't win like the Mavs will.  He is set to be the highest paid player on that team, and JB should not be any team's best player.  Not a knock on him.  He just isn't a star.  I think that is perfectly reasonable conclusion for anyone to come to, and you are fine if you want to make the case otherwise.

Looking at the contracts other players signed (Simmons/Portland) and the rising cap I don´t think 26 per year would have been horrible. Given the option to lose him for nothing or overpay (a situation the Mavs created themself) I would have money whipped Brunson.
Brunson´s role in NY or their success doesn´t matter. Just an attempt to distract from the Mavs mistake. Only thing that matters is the impact on the Mavs future. They lost their second best player and asset for nothing. That´s it. No sugar coating.

What annoys me is the fickled-minded sheep mentality. Posters that wanted to offer him 120/5 or even more suddenly don´t think he was worth the money. I wonder why.

(07-01-2022, 03:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: No not when he was confirmed to leave, but rather when it was the reported the $ that the Knicks were signing him to did I get cold feet.

I looked at what $25M buys you in today's NBA and I thought that Brunson would've been in the lower 1/3rd talent wise in terms of players earning that. It turns out the Knicks gave him even more than $25M a year, which meant the Mavs probably would've had to go to at least near $30M to get Jalen to think about coming back. 

At what price is it ludicrous to pay to maintain the asset? Again, I like Brunson the player. I did not suddenly harbor ill-feelings toward him the moment the Knicks became the frontrunner, and I kept reiterating a 5/110 deal after the draft as a number I'd like him at. The Knicks blew that out of the water.

You mentioned 120/5 multiple times in the last few weeks. Just stop it.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavs2021 - 07-01-2022

(06-30-2022, 11:39 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Regular season and the playoffs are two very different animals too. 

Asking Wood and Maxi to play 48 minutes of center isn’t a good recipe for the regular season.  Asking them to play those kind of minutes in the playoffs does make some sense depending on matchup AND is a lot more doable if you’ve got someone like McGee to eat up those regular season minutes effectively. 

There is value in that.  

And even if the game changes in the playoffs, McGee can give you 10 minutes and also a real option if you’re dealing with an animal down low on the other side and can’t 5 out him off the court.

Interesting. Must have watched a different Dallas/Phoenix series than me.

Game 3: 14 minutes
Game 4: 9 minutes
Game 5: 3 minutes
Game 6: DNP- Coaching decision

Also against Pelicans

Game 4: 13 minutes
Game 5: 9 minutes
Game 6: 3 minutes

Seems Williams didn´t trust him to slow down the animal Jonas averaging 14.3 RPG in that series.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Dundalis - 07-01-2022

Brunson literally does one thing well above average. That's shoot the ball in the mid range. Especially at his height, it's exceptional. But you could see how his one dimensional reliance on it in the playoffs had a detrimental effect on those percentages.

There's nothing else he really does at a high level. He's a low volume 3 pt shooter, with no real pull up game. Fairly average playmaker, and average to below average defender, who can be targeted due to size.

Again, the Mavs had NO INTENTION of keeping Brunson long term. When you understand that, you understand that any contract offering that would have made him immovable in a trade is completely off the table, because the Mavs don't want Brunson here long term, they want him as the centerpiece of a trade for a player they feel would be a better fit with Luka.

So we can talk all day about how the decision is purely based off Cuban wanting to save cash and there is almost definitely an element of that here, but if all Brunson is for the Mavs is a trade piece, then it's literally pointless to retain him on a contract that's no longer desirable in a trade package. End of story. If Brunson was clearly that guy, the second option for a championship caliber team, I do think Cuban would have paid him. But he isn't.

(07-01-2022, 03:08 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Based on the board's reaction to the Dinwiddie and Bertans trade, and a reading of this thread, I predict that JaVale will be great for the Mavs.:-)

This is the usual day one disaster. Good part comes in the following days when they make a couple of moves to salvage the situation. Well...that´s at least what happened in the past. Cannot wait for a potential trade and the throw in player to make the salary/roster spots work. That´s where the Mavs shine.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Mavs2021 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 03:19 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Brunson literally does one thing well above average. That's shoot the ball in the mid range. Especially at his height, it's exceptional. But you could see how his one dimensional reliance on it in the playoffs had a detrimental effect on those percentages.

There's nothing else he really does at a high level. He's a low volume 3 pt shooter, with no real pull up game. Fairly average playmaker, and average to below average defender, who can be targeted due to size.

Again, the Mavs had NO INTENTION of keeping Brunson long term. When you understand that, you understand that any contract offering that would have made him immovable in a trade is completely off the table, because the Mavs don't want Brunson here long term, they want him as the centerpiece of a trade for a player they feel would be a better fit with Luka.

So we can talk all day about how the decision is purely based off Cuban wanting to save cash and there is almost definitely an element of that here, but if all Brunson is for the Mavs is a trade piece, then it's literally pointless to retain him on a contract that's no longer desirable in a trade package. End of story. If Brunson was clearly that guy, the second option for a championship caliber team, I do think Cuban would have paid him. But he isn't.

...and yet such a shitty horribly flawed one dimensional player was easily the Mavs 2nd best player.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Dundalis - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 03:35 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: ...and yet such a shitty horribly flawed one dimensional player was easily the Mavs 2nd best player.

Agreed. Which says a lot about Luka and the coaching staff. Them getting this very sub par talent Mavs team to a WCF was a stroke of genius.

That said this move for McGee is garbage, unless they have something positive up their sleeve in a trade to have it make some kind of rational sense, hopefully for Powell finally.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jommybone - 07-01-2022

Not much to be gained from criticizing each other or from defending previous posts. I’m sure many of mine are plain old dumb. But while we’re on the topic, let me add this:

1. Jalen is a baller. I think he will prove himself worth his contract. He’s been better every year, and was one of this year’s best in the playoffs, where he outplayed All Star Donovan Mitchell and Hall of Famer Chris Paul. 

2. The Mavs were in a position where the marginal cost of paying Jalen all the way up to the max would affect nothing but Cuban’s bank account. Letting him get away hurts the team in a way that is irreparable. 

3. Only way this isn’t a total fail of embarrassing proportions is if they rescue a major sign-and-trade asset out of it like the Warriors did upon KD’s departure.

(07-01-2022, 03:19 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Brunson literally does one thing well above average. That's shoot the ball in the mid range. Especially at his height, it's exceptional. But you could see how his one dimensional reliance on it in the playoffs had a detrimental effect on those percentages.

It is hard to read this and keep my temper. You are underrating Jalen horribly, in my opinion.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Halfnir - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 04:03 AM)Jommybone Wrote: 1. Jalen is a baller. I think he will prove himself worth his contract. He’s been better every year, and was one of this year’s best in the playoffs, where he outplayed All Star Donovan Mitchell and Hall of Famer Chris Paul. 

2. The Mavs were in a position where the marginal cost of paying Jalen all the way up to the max would affect nothing but Cuban’s bank account. Letting him get away hurts the team in a way that is irreparable. 

1. I have doubts. Jalen is not a 2-way player, nor a 3-level scorer. I like his game, but his contract and NY expectations are huge shoes to fill. If he makes it, Kudos to him. 

2. I don't think it's true. Let's assume 5/150 would be the number that makes Jalen stay in Dallas and endure another 5 years as 2nd-guard banana to Luka. This year it only hurts Cuban's bank, but after that if Jalen does not develop into the 2-way player or an elite 3pt shooter that is ideal next to Luka, it's a bad contract that factually locks your non-ideal guard pairing for 5 years (see: Lillard+McCollum). 

I might add that i was in camp "lock him up or trade him by the deadline" most of the time. Funny thing is, if we trade Brunson (for example to NY) at the deadline, he never gets the chance to perform in the playoffs and probably never gets this contract. NY locks him up at 4/60-75, Brunson outperforms this later and the Mavs look like idiots again for giving away such a value player for a minor return at the deadline. It was really hard for Dallas to get out of this situation in a good way, which was fumbled 4 years ago when the Mavs decided to steer Brunson into a FA situation after his first contract and then again not extending or trading him when they had the opportunity.

(07-01-2022, 04:03 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Not much to be gained from criticizing each other or from defending previous posts. I’m sure many of mine are plain old dumb. But while we’re on the topic, let me add this:

1. Jalen is a baller. I think he will prove himself worth his contract. He’s been better every year, and was one of this year’s best in the playoffs, where he outplayed All Star Donovan Mitchell and Hall of Famer Chris Paul. 

3. Only way this isn’t a total fail of embarrassing proportions is if they rescue a major sign-and-trade asset out of it like the Warriors did upon KD’s departure.

It is hard to read this and keep my temper. You are underrating Jalen horribly, in my opinion.

If your response is emotional rather than logical and objective, then maybe you need to take a breath and reframe your perspective. Happy to be proven wrong with an analytical response for why Brunson is this star player everyone seems to value him as, but an emotional response is a waste of time. Anecdotal evidence like he outplayed blah blah in tiny sample size of games isn't an answer. Marquis Daniels looked great in a small sample size of playoff games once upon a time too (and no Im not saying Brunson is a Daniels level player either, but he's sure as hell closer to Daniels than he is Chris Paul).

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - mvossman - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:00 AM)Halfnir Wrote: I might add that i was in camp "lock him up or trade him by the deadline" most of the time. Funny thing is, if we trade Brunson (for example to NY) at the deadline, he never gets the chance to perform in the playoffs and probably never gets this contract. NY locks him up at 4/60-75, Brunson outperforms this later and the Mavs look like idiots again for giving away such a value player for a minor return at the deadline. It was really hard for Dallas to get out of this situation in a good way, which was fumbled 4 years ago when the Mavs decided to steer Brunson into a FA situation after his first contract and then again not extending or trading him when they had the opportunity.

The reality is that if we make that contract correctly, Jalen is a restricted free agent last year with NY desperate to get him and the Mavs not thinking he was worth a max extension (like most of this board).  Odds are they either make an offer we don't match or we trade him to them for very limited assets (not our 23 pick).  If there were mistakes with Brunson they were:

Not offering a max extension.  It was a tough decision last summer and I understand why the would not.  If they really could have signed him to the max extension in January, then that was a huge mistake, but Rick Brunson had a huge agenda and I don't really trust anything he has said through this process.  There is also a reasonable chance Brunson does not that that extension even in the summer.  There were thoughts even then that he wanted to be the PG on a team and wanted to test out free agency.

Not trading at deadline.  The question is what they could have gotten?  If NY thinks they already have Brunson in the bag in the summer and most other NBA teams have the same thought, then there might not have been that much on the table.

Not doing an S&T.  Burks and our 23 would have been a no brainer, but not sure that was on the table.  Did they have to pay anything to dump Burks?  Otherwise the only real option was to pay tax dollars for draft capital.  How often does a tax team take on more salary/tax for draft capital?  

Offer 5/125 for Brunson.  My understanding is that they would not go this high.  If this would have gotten him, then this is their biggest mistake.  At worst he is a neutral asset on that contract.  He is starting in the low 20s with the cap likely going up in.  I don't think he is the perfect fit on this team, and we most likely would have eventually traded him, but we should have offered that.  I'm not sure he takes it though.  I think his mind was made up to go to NY.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-01-2022

My take on Brunson is that both teams were competing to overpay him.

Brunson is very efficient and is always a gamer, even with his physical limitations. He will very likely be a good floor leader. The Knicks wanted him badly and he wanted to play there by all reports.

This is now water under the bridge. Cuban looks like a dope for not paying him earlier. Just one more thing he can add to his checkered history. Brunson's playmaking and scoring can hopefully be replaced with the addition of CW, and possibly Dragic and a new wing player.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jmaciscool - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:36 AM)mvossman Wrote: The reality is that if we make that contract correctly, Jalen is a restricted free agent last year with NY desperate to get him and the Mavs not thinking he was worth a max extension (like most of this board).  Odds are they either make an offer we don't match or we trade him to them for very limited assets (not our 23 pick).  If there were mistakes with Brunson they were:

Not offering a max extension.  It was a tough decision last summer and I understand why the would not.  If they really could have signed him to the max extension in January, then that was a huge mistake, but Rick Brunson had a huge agenda and I don't really trust anything he has said through this process.  There is also a reasonable chance Brunson does not that that extension even in the summer.  There were thoughts even then that he wanted to be the PG on a team and wanted to test out free agency.

Not trading at deadline.  The question is what they could have gotten?  If NY thinks they already have Brunson in the bag in the summer and most other NBA teams have the same thought, then there might not have been that much on the table.

Not doing an S&T.  Burks and our 23 would have been a no brainer, but not sure that was on the table.  Did they have to pay anything to dump Burks?  Otherwise the only real option was to pay tax dollars for draft capital.  How often does a tax team take on more salary/tax for draft capital?  

Offer 5/125 for Brunson.  My understanding is that they would not go this high.  If this would have gotten him, then this is their biggest mistake.  At worst he is a neutral asset on that contract.  He is starting in the low 20s with the cap likely going up in.  I don't think he is the perfect fit on this team, and we most likely would have eventually traded him, but we should have offered that.  I'm not sure he takes it though.  I think his mind was made up to go to NY.

Your last sentence is what I'm thinking after reading about his love for the Knicks (which seems obvious in hindsight but I'm slow}.

I don't think there was any number the Mavs could have offered to keep him. If there was and they didn't then yes, that's a mistake on their part, but I just don't think that was the case

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Winter - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 06:40 AM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I don't think there was any number the Mavs could have offered to keep him. If there was and they didn't then yes, that's a mistake on their part, but I just don't think that was the case

I really don't either now. Otherwise, he would have at least listened to a Mavs offer.