MavsBoard
FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$17.2M to DAL | will indeed start at center (/showthread.php?tid=2205)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Scott41theMavs - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:00 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Sooner we all realize that Brunson wasn't integral to this team success, the quicker we can see that the Mavs actually made some solid moves so far.

Thing is Brunson may or may not have been integral to the team's success, but having three ball handlers was. If we don't obtain a better ballhandler than Dragic this offseason (and he still isn't a done deal...), it will surprise the living turd out of me if we have as good of a team as we were post-KP trade this year. And no, freaking no, THJ is not the answer.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:02 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, your posts are 95% hilarious, never-gets-old comedy and 5% "I know basketball better than any of you losers, I just don't have to prove it all the time" GOLD. 

Don't ever change.

It has nothing to do with my basketball knowledge, I just thought everyone was watching big men get exploited in the playoffs every series year after year and not just me. Some things are self evident. No one needs advanced stats to see that Luka is an all time great, just like no one needs to look at stats to realize that Dwight is 11 mil worth of one skill -community service.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - ThisIStheYear - 07-01-2022

Truly, it’s difficult for the human mind to adjust to new situations, such as the current economy with high inflation, which will translate into higher salaries for professional athletes. Brunson’s contract is a bargain. $100 million isn’t nearly what it used to be. The good decision makers are able to break through the cognitive bias and their anchored expectations. The Mavs were caught with their pants down.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:09 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: And no, freaking no, THJ is not the answer.

It's time for Dorian to take his next leap.

(07-01-2022, 12:12 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: It has nothing to do with my basketball knowledge, I just thought everyone was watching big men get exploited in the playoffs every series year after year and not just me. Some things are self evident. No one needs advanced stats to see that Luka is an all time great, just like no one needs to look at stats to realize that Dwight is 11 mil worth of one skill -community service.

Looney was a big reason for GSW's early success against us.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - IamDougieFresh - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:14 AM)cow Wrote: It's time for Dorian to take his next leap.

There is a big difference between getting cooked by a guy and a guy putting up numbers because we are completely outmatched and he is the last focus of the defense.

If we had McGee last year and put him out there to stop Looney and control the glass we are even more screwed. Then you have a Shaqtin champion in the PnR every possession trying to stop to best shooter in history.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - cow - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:21 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: There is a big difference between getting cooked by a guy and a guy putting up numbers because we are completely outmatched and he is the last focus of the defense.

If we had McGee last year and put him out there to stop Looney and control the glass we are even more screwed. Then you have a Shaqtin champion in the PnR every possession trying to stop to best shooter in history.

It wasn't his offense.  It was his rebounding and defense.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - audiosway - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:14 AM)cow Wrote: It's time for Dorian to take his next leap.

Go watch some video of Christian Wood against Looney last year. Dude cooked him up like a Turkey. I can NOT wait for next season.

(07-01-2022, 12:23 AM)cow Wrote: It wasn't his offense.  It was his rebounding and defense.

Exactly! McGee should look like Tyson Chandler out there this year with Luka throwing them lobs.

(07-01-2022, 12:23 AM)cow Wrote: It wasn't his offense.  It was his rebounding and defense.

Many rebounds due to Maxi and Dwight having to cover for inadequate perimeter defense. Perhaps a real offensive weapon like Wood makes Looney unplayable. We can agree to disagree on Looney’s (and other bigs) impact/value, but I think we can both agree that sometimes the other team is just better.

(07-01-2022, 12:36 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Many rebounds due to Maxi and Dwight having to cover for inadequate perimeter defense. Perhaps a real offensive weapon like Wood makes Looney unplayable. We can agree to disagree on Looney’s (and other bigs) impact/value, but I think we can both agree that sometimes the other team is just better.

The point is that it isn't one size fits all for lineups.  Maxi and Dwight are poor rebounders in the first place.  Wood and McGee are not.  Wood brings an offensive skillset and McGee brings a defensive skillset that our rotation did not have.  We are far more versatile with the additions.  It's why I've campaigned for the past few years to get D12 or McGee on one year deals.  They have value and usefulness even in the "modern NBA".

(07-01-2022, 12:43 AM)cow Wrote: The point is that it isn't one size fits all for lineups.  Maxi and Dwight are poor rebounders in the first place.  Wood and McGee are not.  Wood brings an offensive skillset and McGee brings a defensive skillset that our rotation did not have.  We are far more versatile with the additions.  It's why I've campaigned for the past few years to get D12 or McGee on one year deals.  They have value and usefulness even in the "modern NBA".

I agree with you my man. We definitely need a JaVale on the roster.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - Jommybone - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:00 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: . . . I understand we're going through the stages of grief over losing Brunson and nothing the Mavs do is correct, but the McGee signing at 5mil is a value signing, and exactly what this team needed. McGee does the job of Powell better, and at half the cost. 

You keep saying 5 mil. Why? That’s not the reported number.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:56 AM)Jommybone Wrote: You keep saying 5 mil. Why? That’s not the reported number.

There are 2 reported numbers so far.

Shams initially said 20.1 mil, which would be the entire TP-MLE. Stein later tweeted that they secured Javale with the TP-MLE with enough leftover to sign rookie guard Jaden Hardy, thus making that number an estimated 17.2 mil which is about 5.4 starting salary first year.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:56 AM)Jommybone Wrote: You keep saying 5 mil. Why? That’s not the reported number.

1st year should be no more than $5,461,673 because they are carving out money for Hardy from the MLE. It could be even smaller than that.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-01-2022

What I can't believe is JaVale McGee has a thread that has reached 10 pages long.....I mean we're not talking about Kareem Abdul Jabbar here. He was a decent pickup, and will give the Mavs rebounding, rim running, and protection. But 3 yrs/20.1 mil is a ovepay when he'll be 37 on the last year of his deal, when you could have had Hartenstein who's younger and a better shooter on a much cheaper 2 year/ 16 mil deal  IMO.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 12:00 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Howard was not ahead of him in the Lakers rotation in 2020, their championship season. 

McGee started 68/68 regular season games @16.6 mpg. Howard played 69 regular season games and only started 2 @18.9mpg. 

In the playoffs, Howard played 15mpg, and started in 7 games. McGee played 10mpg and started 11 games. 

If anything Lakers used them interchangeably, but used McGee as the starting big almost every time in small minutes.

Now today in 2022? McGee is undoubtedly better than Howard (*and conveniently the other 2 guys you left out in Whiteside/Drummond). 

McGee was out of this world efficient posting 9ppg and 7rpg in 15mpg. Howard was 6ppg and 6rpg in 16mpg. Powell was 9ppg and 5rpg in 21mpg.

I understand we're going through the stages of grief over losing Brunson and nothing the Mavs do is correct, but the McGee signing at 5mil is a value signing, and exactly what this team needed. McGee does the job of Powell better, and at half the cost. 

I for one am like Dan and have already prepped myself for Brunson leaving, and the Knicks giving him 26 mil a year makes that a WHOLE lot easier. Sooner we all realize that Brunson wasn't integral to this team success, the quicker we can see that the Mavs actually made some solid moves so far.

If you post it one more time you might start believing it yourself. I am not anti all things Mavs. I liked the KP trade that most people hated. I like the Woods trade. But I am not going to make apologies for this train wreck of an free agency.
If you think that McGee is the second coming of Mutombo feel free to do so. It´s not like we just watched him in the playoffs and saw what he can do. But then again you already dismissed that he was a DNP coaching decision when it mattered. That Howard started over him to close out the WCF and in the finals. That he was completly useless against the Mavs this year.
Whiteside averaged 8/8 for the Jazz. Drummond averaged 6/9 for the 76ers. They all belong in the same tier. Vet min backups.

The pathetic part is how predictable this fanbase is. Brunson leaves and we immediately start to trash him. Question his character. Act like he wasn´t good in the first place. Act like him leaving was the only possible outcome. Not like the Mavs had anything to do with it.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - SleepingHero - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:17 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The pathetic part is how predictable this fanbase is. Brunson leaves and we immediately start to trash him. Question his character. Act like he wasn´t good in the first place. Act like him leaving was the only possible outcome. Not like the Mavs had anything to do with it.

WHO is trashing Brunson? Literally all I'm seeing from the sunshine pumpers is that NYK overpaid for him by a mile, and that the Mavs aren't as bad off as everyone else is saying. 

I said that Jalen is a punk for scheduling a meeting with the Mavs and then reneging on it at the last possible second. And well... that IS a punk move to me. We've later learned that there probably wasn't a meeting in the first place and it was his agent trying to save face from the overt tampering charges. 

Other than that, everyone else has just posted stats showing that while Brunson was a great iso scorer, he had some major shortcomings. So major in fact that paying him 25+mil a year would be seen as a major risk, despite how big the cap is going up.

The thing is I agree with you that the Mavs mismanaged the asset. From day 1 it was a fuckup by Donnie. Carlisle jerked around Brunson for 3 years before he got a true shot under Kidd. His camp sought out the max extension last year after putting up a putrid display in the playoffs where we all questioned whether or not Brunson could ever be a starter in the league. Brunson did have a breakout year, but not good enough to warrant the money the Knicks threw at him. AND despite all of that, money probably wasn't even the factor here, as it seems Jalen wanted to be in NYK regardless of the money due to role and childhood dreams. Two things the Mavs could never offer. Further, before anyone says we should have traded Brunson, we have to take into account his 1.8 mil salary to match any contract, making trades incredibly awkward. And that's before even broaching the fact that he was due to be a UFA this year with the worst kept secret that he wanted to go to the Knicks (and that they were going to overpay). 

What I cannot stand is the fact that we keep spinning our tires repeating the same drivel as if the Mavs franchise died today. It didn't. We still have a top 5 player. We still acquired a 20ppg center. We just signed that interior presence we so desperately needed last year. And the Mavs aren't done.

Sheesh.

Also Edit:
I never said you were anti all-things-Mavs. I don't believe that for a second. But I do think you're overreacting here. I don't think Brunson was a good enough player to cast a cloud over this entire free agency.

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - F Gump - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:15 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What I can't believe is JaVale McGee has a thread that has reached 10 pages long.....I mean we're not talking about Kareem Abdul Jabbar here. He was a decent pickup, and will give the Mavs rebounding, rim running, and protection. But 3 yrs/20.1 mil is a ovepay when he'll be 37 on the last year of his deal, when you could have had Hartenstein who's younger and a better shooter on a much cheaper 2 year/ 16 mil deal  IMO.

LOL maths are hard

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - audiosway - 07-01-2022

(07-01-2022, 01:15 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What I can't believe is JaVale McGee has a thread that has reached 10 pages long.....I mean we're not talking about Kareem Abdul Jabbar here. He was a decent pickup, and will give the Mavs rebounding, rim running, and protection. But 3 yrs/20.1 mil is a ovepay when he'll be 37 on the last year of his deal, when you could have had Hartenstein who's younger and a better shooter on a much cheaper 2 year/ 16 mil deal  IMO.

And for what Dallas needs McGee is much better than Hartenstein. They already have a shooter in Wood. They need a rebounder/defender.

Also, btw, Javale just turned 34 in January. The last year of the deal is an option. And the deal he got averages $5.5 million per year. Hartenstein averages $8 million per year.

Just sayin

And the max number we could have offered a free agent?

RE: FA: JaVale McGee 3yrs/$20.1M ($17.2M?) to DAL | expects to start at center? - dirkfansince1998 - 07-01-2022

@SleepingHero You do realize that we can look at your posts from the last few weeks. Telling us that your last post is extremly dishonest. Just going through this thread. Not even looking at the hyperbol in other threads.

Quote:Are we going to forget this nugget by Jake Fischer? Of course things change... But the Mavs literally hold all the leverage here. JB wants to get paid. He wants to win. Knicks can't offer the best of either. All of these tweets just sound like posturing from reporters with their Knick contacts because they have to keep them happy to stay plugged in. This also works in their favor for content generation. Fans for the Mavs are now going to read every detail of their articles because of their open ended tweets about JB and the Knicks.

Even Steins quote if the Knicks can clear room they are a "threat". Sure they are a "threat for Brunson." But its of the same vein as North Korea threatening the USA with military might. I'm sure they believe they have a chance, but when push comes to shove, USA wins that battle every time if they had to focus. 

Mavs are in the driver seat. As long as they aren't drunk this should end with a 12:01 am signing of Brunson and we all move on and laugh at the Knicks draft moves tonight.

Quote:Jalen hitting those Dirk fades gives me such joy. He really is a combination of Nash and Dirk, with a hint of CP3/Deron Williams. 

Pay the man Cubes.

Quote:I mean cutting through all the BS negotiation talk this is all that matters. Brunson wanted to stay here and resign even after not getting offered the extension in the summer. 

If anything Nico did him a favor (and not the Mavs). Makes me think as long as the Mavs offer a competitive contract, I.E 5/120, then he'll be back here no question.

Quote:I don't agree actually. I think Brunson's ability to shrink his game playing next to Luka while still being effective makes him a unicorn. How many guys in the league can go from averaging 17ppg to 32 a night when called upon and then go right back to averaging 17 because it's what the team needs?

When you got Luka Doncic, we don't need Brunson to score anything more than 17-20 a night on efficient shooting. But his ability to step up in the absence of Doncic consistently and make sure the team doesn't skip a beat is why he'd be worth close to the max.

Quote:I never would have called Brunson becoming a 30ppg scorer coming into the playoffs.

That's max money worthy easily.

Sometimes it helps to be confronted with your own takes. Tell me. Do you see a difference between your evaluation of Brunson before and after he decided to leave?