MavsBoard
AROUND the NBA: Pat Bev Suspended 4 Games Next Season| PHX Fires Vogel - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: AROUND the NBA: Pat Bev Suspended 4 Games Next Season| PHX Fires Vogel (/showthread.php?tid=2171)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - Kammrath - 12-19-2022

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1604680540791128072

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1604704515818721282

https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1604662048750678017

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - Nowitzki Way - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 07:58 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: FWIW, I’m all in on an Anunoby deal (have been since his draft when I pointed out repeatedly he was an Indiana guy and a Schwartz guy…what else did Cuban want?).  Two unprotected firsts, pick swaps, THJ and even Hardy.  To me, that is the contending move.  Wood, DFS, OG, Green and Luka with Powell/Maxi/Bullock/Dinwiddie as your nine man.  Sign me up.

This is exactly what we need. A (young) big scoring wing who can be our #2 and plugged into the starting lineup. A move like this that helps move Dinwiddie to the bench kills two birds with one stone.  Then add Wood to the starting lineup and we have something.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 02:33 AM)Mapka Wrote: F*ck NYK. If we kept Brunson and signed Hartenstein, that would have been a dream offseason.
And they would be better of by not wasting everything to get Jalen.

Don't blame NY for Cuban's ineptness.  If he quit being cheap and didn't give out big deals to the wrong players, he wouldn't be in this spot. Brunson has made a difference in NY, whether it's sustainable remains to be seen.

(12-19-2022, 01:07 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Don't blame NY for Cuban's ineptness.  If he quit being cheap and didn't give out big deals to the wrong players, he wouldn't be in this spot. Brunson has made a difference in NY, whether it's sustainable remains to be seen.

I think its sustainable. Brunson will probably never be a "star", but he's here to stay.

I think he needed to get out of Dallas and Luka's shadow to get to the next level. But not extending him last year is going to hurt this team for a long long time.  I'm trying not to blame Cuban/Nico for him leaving during the off season. Once he hit free agency, we had no chance. The fault lies on them for not extending or trading him. Pretty much a disaster.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - KillerLeft - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 01:13 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I think its sustainable. Brunson will probably never be a "star", but he's here to stay.

I agree that it's sustainable, but I'd submit that he already is a star. For me, "star" kind of translates to "the offensive engine for a playoff team" and that is kind of exactly how I'd describe Brunson.

People really underrate the things Brunson can do. I like Dinwiddie more than I thought I would before that trade, but...the idea that he could replace what Brunson does was always kind of laughable. 

Brunson is a three-level scorer. Both are good catch and shoot and pull-up three guys, but with Dinwiddie, there's some reason to be suspicious of his percentages this year and last...maybe they continue to be stellar, maybe they settle back to where he used to be. For now, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Both are great at penetrating and scoring in the paint. GREAT. I'll give the edge to Dinwiddie there, because he seems better at drawing fouls in the process, and because his style of driving doesn't seem quite so dependent on recklessly sacrificing his body. I think Brunson will likely attempt shots in the paint less and less as time goes on due to health and wear and tear. 

But, the MIDRANGE? Brunson is literally one of the best in the NBA at creating shots off the dribble in the midrange. He has (no hyperbole) a dozen different ways to do this, and Dinwiddie seems to have zero. In a league designed to run people off of the three point line and then funnel them into the help defense waiting for them in the paint, there comes a point in every season where no matter which team you're playing, they're probably pretty good at making shot attempts from those two places really, really difficult. THAT is when having players like Luka, Brunson, Kawhi Leonard, etc, etc, who have midrange counters in their bags becomes the difference between winning and losing. 

Dinwiddie is simply not in Brunson's class as a scorer.

(12-19-2022, 01:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that it's sustainable, but I'd submit that he already is a star. For me, "star" kind of translates to "the offensive engine for a playoff team" and that is kind of exactly how I'd describe Brunson.

True. And he never would have been the offensive engine here.  Never. We all knew it. Jalen, his dad, Leon Rose. They all knew it too. 

But he sure looked good as that #2 option on a championship caliber team. They Knicks know that part too. Which is why they tried to get Donovan Mitchell after they got Brunson.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - mvossman - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 01:15 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that it's sustainable, but I'd submit that he already is a star. For me, "star" kind of translates to "the offensive engine for a playoff team" and that is kind of exactly how I'd describe Brunson.

I would argue that right now he is co-engine with Randle.  I don't really consider either a star, but thats just semantics.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - KillerLeft - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 01:23 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: And he never would have been the offensive engine here.

Well, to me, he was though. You need more than one, that's for sure. 

It might not be ideal for both to be PG's, and I get that, but 2 on-ball types is certainly not unheard of. There are very, very few players in the NBA who can be reliable offensive engines without the ball. It has become more rare in today's game than it used to be, probably as a result of the "PG's are scorers" movement.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - mvossman - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 01:23 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: True. And he never would have been the offensive engine here.  Never. We all knew it. Jalen, his dad, Leon Rose. They all knew it too. 

But he sure looked good as that #2 option on a championship caliber team. They Knicks know that part too. Which is why they tried to get Donovan Mitchell after they got Brunson.

I wish they had gotten Mitchell.  It would have stunted Brunson (just like Luka did) and made the defense worse.  I think they were going to give up some of their quality role players as well.  They would have spent a lot of assets and I don't think the team would have been any better.  Unfortunately Mitchell is a much better fit on the Cavs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry injures shoulder - ItsGoTime - 12-19-2022

(12-19-2022, 01:07 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: didn't give out big deals to the wrong players
This is the crux of it.

(12-19-2022, 01:27 PM)mvossman Wrote: I wish they had gotten Mitchell.  It would have stunted Brunson (just like Luka did) and made the defense worse.  I think they were going to give up some of their quality role players as well.  They would have spent a lot of assets and I don't think the team would have been any better.  Unfortunately Mitchell is a much better fit on the Cavs.

Agreed. i was hoping for Mitchell to the Knicks. I dont hate Brunson, but i was secretly hoping for the stunted growth that Mitchell would have provided him also. 

They would have gutted all of their assets (including the pick we owe them) and lost all future flexibility to roll out a defense nightmare of a backcourt in Brunson/Mitchell.

But man, Mitchell on the Cavs is looking good. They don't have much in the way of depth after their big 5, but they are tough on both ends of the court. I'm interested in the pairing of Mobley/Allen and how long that can work. 

i'm impressed with how they re-built after losing Lebron (both times).

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-19-2022

Cavs destroy the Jazz 122-99 The Jazz are 5-15 after their 12-1 start. They've also lost 6 straight on the road headed to Detroit. Things can change in the blink of an eye.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - Nowitzki Way - 12-20-2022

(12-19-2022, 09:54 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Cavs destroy the Jazz 122-99 The Jazz are 5-15 after their 12-1 start. They've also lost 6 straight on the road headed to Detroit. Things can change in the blink of an eye.

It looks they will end up as sellers at the deadline. We've talked for awhile that Conley or Clarkson could be options for the Mavs. But i'd be looking at some of the role players they picked up in trades this off season.  We all know Ainge wants draft picks, which we're a little short on. So i doubt we have a fit.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - F Gump - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 09:32 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: It looks they will end up as sellers at the deadline. We've talked for awhile that Conley or Clarkson could be options for the Mavs. But i'd be looking at some of the role players they picked up in trades this off season.  We all know Ainge wants draft picks, which we're a little short on. So i doubt we have a fit.

Yes, it's hard to see how the Mavs can be buyers at the deadline. At the current level of play, by then they will be too far back for any trade to make a real difference. Many of the ideas center around quick fixes and aging veterans, which mostly offer a small boost this season, then fall away. So adding players like that is robbing the future of assets, to patch up a failed season.

Their crossroads is really soon. It's time for some hard questions to be answered.

If this season is going to be a dead end, they need to figure out what they want to do for 2023-24 and 2024-25 and start doing everything they can to build towards much greater success in those seasons. Cuban's ongoing emphasis on instant gratification is very short-sighted.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - KillerLeft - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 09:50 AM)F Gump Wrote: It's hard to see how the Mavs can be buyers at the deadline. At the current level of play, by then they will be too far back for any trade to make a real difference. Their crossroads is really soon. It's time for some hard questions to be answered.

If this season is going to be a dead end, they need to figure out what they want to do for 2023-24 and 2024-25 and start doing everything they can to build towards much greater success in those seasons. Cuban's ongoing emphasis on instant gratification would not be helpful.

It's not just Cuban we have to rationalize our fandom around anymore. 

I have very little faith at this point that Jason Kidd is a qualified NBA coach. I think he might be one of the worst in the league from a tactical, system designer perspective, and his ability to motivate players, which was supposed to be the way he'd upgrade this team from Carlisle, has really come into question for me this season. 

I bring this up because I believe spending a year where winning was put on the back burner in favor of a focused effort to reshape the team according to his values might very well be three steps in the wrong direction, not progress. I'm really worried that the team is a month away from being something I lose all interest in following. Scared to death.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - Nowitzki Way - 12-20-2022

(12-20-2022, 09:50 AM)F Gump Wrote: Yes, it's hard to see how the Mavs can be buyers at the deadline. At the current level of play, by then they will be too far back for any trade to make a real difference. Many of the ideas center around quick fixes and aging veterans, which mostly offer a small boost this season, then fall away. So adding players like that is robbing the future of assets, to patch up a failed season.

Their crossroads is really soon. It's time for some hard questions to be answered.

If this season is going to be a dead end, they need to figure out what they want to do for 2023-24 and 2024-25 and start doing everything they can to build towards much greater success in those seasons. Cuban's ongoing emphasis on instant gratification is very short-sighted.

Agreed. Any buying by the Mavs would be with the hope that we've turned it around by February. We can add those veteran quick fixes to round out the rotation. 

But there is no franchise altering trade available with what little assets we have. if we're sitting at the 5,6,7 seed around then, we all hope they add. 

If we're sitting at 9,10 then they need to sell a few pieces. Like you said, questions need to be answered now.  Who is part of their 2-3 year plan?  No one outside of Luka is untouchable. We all love our Maxi and DFS, but for the right price they can go. Wood ? Dinwiddie? Are they part of the future ?

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - DanSchwartzgan - 12-20-2022

Any ‘buying’ has to be focused around players you think will fit beyond the current season.  Please no ‘short-term fixes’.  Either that or moving on from players who don’t fit if you can get something for them or change the cap dynamic in a positive way.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Curry out multiple weeks| AD out indefinitely| Jokic 40/27/10 game - cow - 12-20-2022

It's time to sell everyone you can squeeze value out of not named Luka or Hardy.