MavsBoard
AROUND the NBA: Pat Bev Suspended 4 Games Next Season| PHX Fires Vogel - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: AROUND the NBA: Pat Bev Suspended 4 Games Next Season| PHX Fires Vogel (/showthread.php?tid=2171)

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Chicagojk - 01-23-2023

He is a skilled center but when Dallas has a big who can shoot you really see his limitations and Dallas typically tears this type of player up….even if he is effective on offense.

https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1617568801234784256?s=61&t=z0Qd03zHIYM_OoVW9qQb0g

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Kammrath - 01-23-2023

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1617625348283457538

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Kammrath - 01-23-2023

https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1617633059226152960

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 12:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: He is a skilled center but when Dallas has a big who can shoot you really see his limitations and Dallas typically tears this type of player up….even if he is effective on offense.

https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1617568801234784256?s=61&t=z0Qd03zHIYM_OoVW9qQb0g

People get upset when they watch the Mavs give up offensive boards to guys like Nurkic, Zubac, Adams , JV, etc. and start screaming about how we need a big man who can rebound but always ignore the very blatant "we can't keep this guy on the floor during the playoffs" aspect of all of these guys.  I get it because it's such an easy thing to say "that huge dude is getting all these rebounds and easy buckets" but harder to notice the GIANT trade off you make with these types.  If this type of player matter Boban wouldn't be a cheerleader everywhere he goes.

It would suck if we had a FO who bought into this need and burned 17 mil on a dinosaur like this...oh wait

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Mavs2021 - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 04:43 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: People get upset when they watch the Mavs give up offensive boards to guys like Nurkic, Zubac, Adams , JV, etc. and start screaming about how we need a big man who can rebound but always ignore the very blatant "we can't keep this guy on the floor during the playoffs" aspect of all of these guys.  I get it because it's such an easy thing to say "that huge dude is getting all these rebounds and easy buckets" but harder to notice the GIANT trade off you make with these types.  If this type of player matter Boban wouldn't be a cheerleader everywhere he goes.

It would suck if we had a FO who bought into this need and burned 17 mil on a dinosaur like this...oh wait

KOC has just had a lot of bad takes over the last 12-18 months. He just seems like a bandwagon jumper. I love when Vernon puts him in his place.

Blazers have a +1.4 NRTG with Nurkic on the floor. Are we going to pretend that Jokic doesn´t have a Zubac, JV, Sabonis or Adams body? According to their Wiki pages, they all weight about the same. Also that basically means that five of the six best teams in the West, record-wise, start an ancient relic body or style of play center. I sure hope they never catch on how stupid they are, cause we have a tough enough time dealing with them as it is. Cry

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 05:43 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: KOC has just had a lot of bad takes over the last 12-18 months. He just seems like a bandwagon jumper. I love when Vernon puts him in his place.

Blazers have a +1.4 NRTG with Nurkic on the floor. Are we going to pretend that Jokic doesn´t have a Zubac, JV, Sabonis or Adams body? According to their Wiki pages, they all weight about the same. Also that basically means that five of the six best teams in the West, record-wise, start an ancient relic body or style of play center. I sure hope they never catch on how stupid they are, cause we have a tough enough time dealing with them as it is. Cry

So far though these are the exact types we WANT to see in any matchup with Luka because we play them off the floor.  We've done it to Zubac, Gobert, Ayton and McGee right before we decided we should pay him (smart!).  Adams also dropped out of the rotation once the playoffs started last year and I wouldn't be surprised if the same is said for JV now that they have Zion healthy.  Very interested to see how folks play the Kings this postseason because my assumption would be teams target Sabonis over and over and over.  Also to your Jokic point, he's kind of the reason I still can't seem them coming out of the West.  He basically presents the modern day Dirk problem, he's a walking top 10 offense but building a real defense that can win a championship around him is going to be difficult (they were middle of the pack in drating last I checked).

These guys are fine for regular season but once everything slows down and becomes about avoiding mismatches over a 7 game series things change quickly.

I agree on KOC, he's just about drooling over all his pet players and ignoring any sort of real conversation and is kind of ignoring the fact that the Lakers came back while Nurkic sat but it's not going to change my mind that these players have lost a ton of value over the past decade because they aren't great options in the playoffs.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 04:19 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1617633059226152960

I can't wait to see how Issac looks after over 2 years of being out.  He was a stud before injuries caught up to him.  Orlando really has a nice surplus of long athletic bigs.  Bol Bol, Issac, Bamba, Carter Jr and Banchero.  They surely can't keep them all.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Mavs2021 - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 06:27 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I can't wait to see how Issac looks after over 2 years of being out.  He was a stud before injuries caught up to him.  Orlando really has a nice surplus of long athletic bigs.  Bol Bol, Issac, Bamba, Carter Jr and Banchero.  They surely can't keep them all.

They will trade Bamba. Nothing else makes sense. They showcased him for 20MPG in November/December, but also went 12-11, and probably freaked out.

In January he´s only played 66 minutes total.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - cow - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 04:43 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Nurkic, Zubac, Adams , JV, etc.

These are the guys I want on my team at the end of their primes, on 1-year minimal deals.  I have no interest in these types of players on multi-year deals in the neighborhood of 20M.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Chicagojk - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 07:48 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: They will trade Bamba. Nothing else makes sense. They showcased him for 20MPG in November/December, but also went 12-11, and probably freaked out.

In January he´s only played 66 minutes total.

Mo Bamba and RJ Hampton got DNP-CD tonight.   

Neither player does much for me.    There is a chance Bamba has something.  He always leaves me wanting more.   Makes a lot of mistakes but then he will have a block where he comes out of nowhere.    

I am sure Orlando would love to get rid of Bamba and Harris' contracts to open up more FA money, right?   I wonder if they find any takers.

edit--Looking at the Magic Roster, I think it is pretty apparent they will do something.   Maybe not something big, but they have extra guys who don't fit into their future.

(01-23-2023, 10:26 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mo Bamba and RJ Hampton got DNP-CD tonight.   

Neither player does much for me.    There is a chance Bamba has something.  He always leaves me wanting more.   Makes a lot of mistakes but then he will have a block where he comes out of nowhere.    

I am sure Orlando would love to get rid of Bamba and Harris' contracts to open up more FA money, right?   I wonder if they find any takers.

edit--Looking at the Magic Roster, I think it is pretty apparent they will do something.   Maybe not something big, but they have extra guys who don't fit into their future.

Regarding RJ Hampton....you would have liked to see him develop more.   He has not been very impressive when I have watched a few of their games.   He does have some of the same mannerisms and movements as Dinnwiddie.    That may not be an awful if everything went right comparison.    He just hasn't really made steps in improvement though.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - HoosierDaddyKid - 01-23-2023

(01-23-2023, 10:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Regarding RJ Hampton....you would have liked to see him develop more.   He has not been very impressive when I have watched a few of their games.   He does have some of the same mannerisms and movements as Dinnwiddie.    That may not be an awful if everything went right comparison.    He just hasn't really made steps in improvement though.

Hampton really hasn't had a chance to show his wares. He's playing behind Cole Anthony, Markell Fultz, and Jalen Suggs. There might be something there.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 01-23-2023

I think RJ Hampton actually had a nice game against us earlier this season. He’s still only 21, about to turn 22. I think I remember questions about his attitude pre-draft that may have caused him to fall. Denver drafted him and they usually draft pretty well. He still has time to become a decent player in the league. Whenever I see him, he always looks like a guy that’s trying to his.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - DanSchwartzgan - 01-24-2023

A note about a player who gets discussed some here from last night's Stein drop:

[Image: 72.png] Rival teams in need of size are monitoring Kings center Richaun Holmes as a potential buyout candidate in the event that Sacramento is unable to trade him before the deadline, sources say.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - omahen - 01-24-2023

That one really striked me. Buyout with 2 years left after this season? Doesn't seem realistic unless Holmes is prepared to give a lot of money back.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - DanSchwartzgan - 01-24-2023

(01-24-2023, 09:28 AM)omahen Wrote: That one really striked me. Buyout with 2 years left after this season? Doesn't seem realistic unless Holmes is prepared to give a lot of money back.

Sac is in a hard spot with Sabonis.  He’s one of those guys who won’t extend because 120% of his 23/24 salary is below his market.  One work around is getting about $14mm under the cap next season so they can renegotiate and extend to avoid Sabonis making it to UFA.  They currently sit about $30mm under the cap next season with 8 players and without Barnes or T. Davis (and without using exceptions to improve the roster).  No way they can do all they need to do for $16mm.  But, find a way off of Holmes and maybe they stand a chance.  

I think they would pay someone to swap Holmes for an expiring deal.  The problem for Dallas is Holmes has a PO for 2025.

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - omahen - 01-24-2023

(01-24-2023, 10:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think they would pay someone to swap Holmes for an expiring deal.

I would immediately do Powell for Holmes and assets

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Kammrath - 01-24-2023

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1617974318989996034

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Kammrath - 01-24-2023

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1618018328089329665

RE: AROUND the NBA: Zion out multiple weeks | Durant out 1 month w/ MCL - Chicagojk - 01-24-2023

(01-24-2023, 11:01 AM)omahen Wrote: I would immediately do Powell for Holmes and assets

I think the Kings will eventually regret the Haliburtan trade, but I right now I look wrong.  I thought the Sabonis move was a treading water move and he would eventually be extremely overpaid or leave via free agency.   I doubt they win a title any time soon, but so far the move has been a classic win/win.  I did not think we would be here almost a year later.

The Kings front office has made some smart decision lately.    I have much more confidence their front office knows who can play and who can't...over our front office.   It makes me hesitant to move for a player who they feel isn't good enough to get minutes.  Oh, the joy of being a Mav fan.

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1618037190847762433

I would draft Luka and Jokic last.  They both seem to not care at all about the All Star game.   Which is fine.   But I wonder, if they still go high because others like their games.