MavsBoard
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU (/showthread.php?tid=2161)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Mavsfan12 - 06-18-2022

(06-17-2022, 06:00 PM)loki Wrote: 3A-Wood/3B-Grant to keep everyone happy? Maybe it doesn't work, but somehow they need to keep adding talent.

Yes, but it doesn't really have to be offensive talent at this point...  We are getting two solid scoring options added to our WCF lineup with Wood/THJ.  I saw a trade offering up Bullock.  Guys, I am of the opinion that we have the offensive power (upon resigning JB) to go all the way.  It is STILL the defense that is lacking.  

I like JC and I would love to have him.  A lineup with him and Wood as your bigs is VERY switchable.  However, I would not shy away from getting a real big.  I am even more on board with getting a elite big, like Gobert, now that we have a legit small ball center to counter if he gets run off.  And Wood can play next to Gobert as well as one of the premiere 3pt shooting bigs in the league.  The versatility of that lineup would be insane.  THJ/DP for Gobert?  Do the Mavs say no to that?  Do you?  The lineup combinations are good for ANY Style.  

Doncic/Din
JB/MLE
Bullock/Green
DFS/Maxi/Bertans
Gobert/Wood

Basically trades your sixth man from an offensive guard to an offensive big, while getting the BEST defensive/rebounding/rim protecting/lob threat in league.  That team leads the league in wins because it doesn't have holes.  It can adjust OR dictate.  I was always hesitant on the Gobert front because of the fear of getting him run off.  But if teams do that, they run right into one of the best small ball guys out there.  This team, as is, still lacks a defensive anchor.  I like our wing defense, but we can't stop the interior onslaught.  Gobert single handedly does that.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - KillerLeft - 06-18-2022

https://youtu.be/H3t234bon2M

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Mavsfan12 - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 12:35 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://youtu.be/H3t234bon2M

Really liked that vid.  Two things stood out to me: 

About the 1:40 mark, it highlights his versatility and how this addresses a need here.  His ability to play C or PF is huge for us - especially given his issues defending down low.  He can thrive next to a post C.  

This is brought up again at the end portion of his video (9:30), that they need a defensive C still and how this would make the Mavs faves to come out of the West.

I am loving this trade and seeing how it opens up our possibilities to getting to the NEXT level.  Such a clearer path than a week ago with the influx of talent and the opening of roster spots.  I'm ready to see them push all in and finish out this lineup... with DEFENSE!

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Jym - 06-18-2022

Such a beautiful offensive fit
Luka's going to get him some great looks but most importantly he can create his own shot against a set defense. We desperately needed to add another guy who can do that.

Just gotta hope he can surprise us defensively the same way Powell did this past season. Who saw him being so competent paired with DFS as the bigs? Pretty much all of us would have considered that a defensive nightmare but it actually looked alright

He doesn't have to be great. Just give solid effort. Help out and grab a few more rebounds that would have been an offensive rebound with Powell or Maxi out there and maybe the defensive impact can be a bit closer to equal even if more open layups are allowed

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Branduil - 06-18-2022

Wood's ability to cut off the ball is one thing that really stood out to me in highlights. The P&R percentage is also really, really promising.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - loki - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 12:16 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Yes, but it doesn't really have to be offensive talent at this point...  We are getting two solid scoring options added to our WCF lineup with Wood/THJ.  I saw a trade offering up Bullock.  Guys, I am of the opinion that we have the offensive power (upon resigning JB) to go all the way.  It is STILL the defense that is lacking.  

I like JC and I would love to have him.  A lineup with him and Wood as your bigs is VERY switchable.  However, I would not shy away from getting a real big.  I am even more on board with getting a elite big, like Gobert, now that we have a legit small ball center to counter if he gets run off.  And Wood can play next to Gobert as well as one of the premiere 3pt shooting bigs in the league.  The versatility of that lineup would be insane.  THJ/DP for Gobert?  Do the Mavs say no to that?  Do you?  The lineup combinations are good for ANY Style.  

Doncic/Din
JB/MLE
Bullock/Green
DFS/Maxi/Bertans
Gobert/Wood

Basically trades your sixth man from an offensive guard to an offensive big, while getting the BEST defensive/rebounding/rim protecting/lob threat in league.  That team leads the league in wins because it doesn't have holes.  It can adjust OR dictate.  I was always hesitant on the Gobert front because of the fear of getting him run off.  But if teams do that, they run right into one of the best small ball guys out there.  This team, as is, still lacks a defensive anchor.  I like our wing defense, but we can't stop the interior onslaught.  Gobert single handedly does that.

I view Grant as a serviceable offensive player (more than a pure 3&D but still a role player) and a potential plus defender. Adding a 2-way wing while getting rid of a defensive liability like THJ would be a considerable upgrade regardless of what happens at center.

On Gobert, I think there is essentially zero chance he ends up in a Mavs uniform as long as Danny Ainge is the guy on the other end of the phone. He's going to ask for far more than Dallas can ever hope to offer. I'm not opposed to a more defensive-minded 5 if Wood doesn't work out. I just don't think that guy will be Rudy.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - MrGoat - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 02:00 AM)loki Wrote: On Gobert, I think there is essentially zero chance he ends up in a Mavs uniform as long as Danny Ainge is the guy on the other end of the phone. He's going to ask for far more than Dallas can ever hope to offer. I'm not opposed to a more defensive-minded 5 if Wood doesn't work out. I just don't think that guy will be Rudy.

I think Gobert's out. Since about a week ago there's been a Gobert to Hawks trade brewing involving Collins, Capela and potentially any others not named DeAndre Hunter or Trae Young, we can't beat that. I get it for Atlanta, Trae is always going to need help in defense and Rudy may be in a better mood because Trae might actually pass him the ball, they'll need to surround that with perimeter defenders though.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - F Gump - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 12:16 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I was always hesitant on the Gobert front because of the fear of getting him run off.  But if teams do that, they run right into one of the best small ball guys out there.  This team, as is, still lacks a defensive anchor.  I like our wing defense, but we can't stop the interior onslaught.  Gobert single handedly does that.

Gobert is not available, practically speaking. Ainge is setting the asking price, and it's over the moon.

For when it's needed, the Mavs could use a better version of traditional center, to be sure. Maybe Powell for Favors could be the general concept?

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - MAVS-SLO - 06-18-2022

For the price paid i gave A grade for this trade. 

We get Wood almost for free. Burke, Brown, Chriss didn't have any role here in Dallas, while Boban was here just for atmosphere. 
And speaking about draft pick is just another story. While reading some comments after the trade i got some flashbacks to the 2020 draft when we needed 3D wing and end up with Green. While reading those comments i saw that a lot of people were expecting from the guys discussed (mostly Koloko, Kamagate and Kessler) that at least poor versions of Jokic & Embiid are coming, while in reality they would need some seasons to get regular nba minutes.

When you look at the potential of Wood in Dallas you can see that he checks almost all things we needed. Only one thing he don't check is probably rim protection but for the price paid, he is big, big upgrade and moving in right direction. 
Rebounding, perimeter defense (at least potential), healthy situation,  pick and roll & pick and pop scoring potential... Also he looks like the profile of the player who can play in the play-offs while Gobert and a lot of others can be exposed. So for the price paid and the situation on the market, fantastic trade.

I also read about some concerns about his character in Houston, but in my opinion that can change here in Dallas. Don't forget that he signed a team friendly contract 2 years ago to be the starting center in Harden's Houston, so a team who was at least on a paper a contender, and after 10 games in a season they went into rebuild and tank mode, so he really didn't fit their new timeline and ambitious. 

Here in Dallas is going to have all known roles and hierarchy in the roster, different culture, winning mentality and Kidd as a coach.

For now we can say that Nico did tremendus job in right direction. The roster of:

Wood - Maxi - Powell
DFS - Bertans
Bullock - Green
Brunson - Hardaway
Luka - Dinwiddie - Frank

Is in my opinion the best Mavs team in xy years. Do not forget that we added 2 players capable for putting 20+ points per game for a new season and offseason officialy didn't even started  Cool

The only thing we loosed is Luka's friend Boban but we will see what the offseason will bring.

Players like Hartenstein, Monk, Harrell, OPJ are probably out of our range, but i wouldn't mind Vlatko Čančar as an option 3-4 on a T-MLE if Denver will not extend his contract. In my opinion really underrated player. He plays defense and can hit for 3. Also it's good friend with Luka.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - dirkfansince1998 - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 09:31 AM)F Gump Wrote: Maybe Powell for Favors could be the general concept?

I was one of the biggest Favors fans in the past. Wanted the Mavs to sign/trade for him every single offseason but he had a down year and looked like a shadow of his former self.
As always when it comes to vets on tanking teams it leaves us guessing. In 20/21 Horford was in a similar situation. Vet stranded in OKC. Mailed it in as well. But followed it up with a great regular season. Even better playoff run.
Is Favors a similar case?

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - ItsGoTime - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 10:15 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I was one of the biggest Favors fans in the past. Wanted the Mavs to sign/trade for him every single offseason but he had a down year and looked like a shadow of his former self.
As always when it comes to vets on tanking teams it leaves us guessing. In 20/21 Horford was in a similar situation. Vet stranded in OKC. Mailed it in as well. But followed it up with a great regular season. Even better playoff run.
Is Favors a similar case?
Yes.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - ItsGoTime - 06-18-2022

In addition to the yes answer. Dwight Powell, Josh Green and 24 second rounder for Favors and Roby would make a lot of sense for us.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Tikkun Olam - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 12:58 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Really liked that vid.  Two things stood out to me: 

About the 1:40 mark, it highlights his versatility and how this addresses a need here.  His ability to play C or PF is huge for us - especially given his issues defending down low.  He can thrive next to a post C.  

This is brought up again at the end portion of his video (9:30), that they need a defensive C still and how this would make the Mavs faves to come out of the West.

I am loving this trade and seeing how it opens up our possibilities to getting to the NEXT level.  Such a clearer path than a week ago with the influx of talent and the opening of roster spots.  I'm ready to see them push all in and finish out this lineup... with DEFENSE!

Bamba or Noel ?

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - MrGoat - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 10:48 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: In addition to the yes answer. Dwight Powell, Josh Green and 24 second rounder for Favors and Roby would make a lot of sense for us.

Would make a lot of sense for us. Not so much for OKC. A second rounder isn't enough of a sweetener for a team that's already sitting on a mountain of picks to essentially agree to a Green for Roby swap

(06-18-2022, 11:54 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Would make a lot of sense for us. Not so much for OKC. A second rounder isn't enough of a sweetener for a team that's already sitting on a mountain of picks to essentially agree to a Green for Roby swap
You may be right, I don’t know that it’s all that far off. I worry slightly that Roby is looking good on a team that has little thought of winning. I don’t think he’s empty stats cause the times I’ve seen him play he’s gotten things done with hustle. I don’t, however, think he has the upside to supplant Bullock as a starter so it’s hard to commit to any more than 2 seconds (I wouldn’t balk too much if it came to that). I also think you’re wrong on how much Presti wants to control the next 3-4 drafts.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Kammrath - 06-18-2022

RE: Is CW big enough to be a center? 

Wood...
Height w/s shoes: 6' 9.25"
Wingspan: 7' 3.25"
Standing Reach: 9' 3.5"

Looney...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 8"
Standing Reach: 9' 2"

DP...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9.5"
Wingspan: 7' 0.5"
Standing Reach: 8' 9"

Noel...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 10"
Wingspan: 7' 3.75"

Steven Adams...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 10.75"
Wingspan: 7' 4.5"
Standing Reach: 9' 1.5"

Drummond...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9.75"
Wingspan: 7' 6.25"

Anthony Davis...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9.25"
Wingspan: 7' 5.5"
Standing Reach: 9' 0"

Myles Turner...
Wingspan: 7' 4"
Standing Reach: 9' 4"

Jarrett Allen...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9"
Wingspan: 7' 5.25"

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - nash_funk - 06-18-2022

I think John Collins is out of reach if they trade for Gobert.

What about Tobias Harris?  A package involving THJ could save them a ton on salary.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Mavs2021 - 06-18-2022

After watching a little more Wood in Detroit, I can see why Sweeney would advocate for this trade. Then it was contract year and even the most difficult players tend to be on their best behaviour during such times, except flat earthers. Tongue  And Detroit still let him walk.

But hey maybe we get Contract Year Wood 22/12 and some team will offer us something really nice in return at the TDL.

The big question is what weighs heavier "the attention Luka will draw away from Wood" or "the other team actually plays defense against our team unlike the tanksters". 

It´s still a no brainer, because it helps us free roster spots without forcing much more salary onto Cuban. I think Cuban will pay the tax, but I´m sure his willingness to spend has its limits now. So this should help paying Brunson, while improving the team short-term.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - dirkfansince1998 - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 01:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: Is CW big enough to be a center? 

Wood...
Height w/s shoes: 6' 9.25"
Standing Reach: 9' 3.5"
214lb

Looney...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 8"
222lb

DP...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9.5"
Wingspan: 7' 0.5"
Standing Reach: 8' 9"
240lb

Noel...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 10"
Wingspan: 7' 3.75"
220lb

Steven Adams...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 10.75"
Wingspan: 7' 4.5"
265lb

Drummond...
Wingspan: 7' 6.25"
279lb

Anthony Davis...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9.25"
Wingspan: 7' 5.5"
Standing Reach: 9' 0"
253lb

Myles Turner...
Wingspan: 7' 4"
Standing Reach: 9' 4"
250lb

Jarrett Allen...
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9"
Wingspan: 7' 5.25"
243lb

Lenght isn´t the concern. More about strength/weight.  And obviously defensive instincts/IQ.

RE: TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU - Kammrath - 06-18-2022

(06-18-2022, 01:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lenght isn´t the concern.

Well yeah, after you see the numbers it isn't a concern. He is longer or about as long as even the best centers in the league. 

I personally think his weight and thin build is a huge advantage both for 1) injuries and 2) for mobility/athleticism. I honestly don't worry about him getting "pushed around." Don't think it will be a big issue in the vast majority of situations.