MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Kammrath - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 08:27 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Can't imagine it's much of a debate.

I am with you. I think at MOST he is worth a 1st round pick right now. But I think there is argument he is worth none, or even would cost a 1st to get off his contract. 

Strangely there are some on this board who think he is worth two or three 1sts. Which is completely unfathomable to me. *shrug*

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - cow - 07-07-2022

Gobert's price was also unfathomable but here we are.  RoCo's expiring contract returned multiple FRPs.  Simmons is at an all time low value wise but I still think he'll return more than most expect.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Mavsfan12 - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 08:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am with you. I think at MOST he is worth a 1st round pick right now. But I think there is argument he is worth none, or even would cost a 1st to get off his contract. 

Strangely there are some on this board who think he is worth two or three 1sts. Which is completely unfathomable to me. *shrug*

I hope he is a distressed asset and can be had cheaply.  I think he would solve a lot of the Mavs' roster issues if we could get him for salary matching and possibly a single pick.  The issue I am most wary about is his back.  If his medical situation is bad, I wouldn't mess with him.  But on this roster, he would be amazing and solve our need for defensive presence and playmaking, while also adding another strong rebounder.  I can't imagine he would be crazy expensive, and that is how I like 'em.  We can't afford full price on a star.  I think a change of scenery with a winning club who want him and will appreciate him, along with a coach who has a ton of similarities to him as a player whom he would respect is exactly what this dude needs.  And we could certainly use what he brings.  Triple check that back though.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Kammrath - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:36 PM)cow Wrote: Gobert's price was also unfathomable

Not to me. He is THE best defensive player in the game and has consistently had a top ten impact on winning. I thought the price was higher than I expected, but not unfathomable. Gobert didn't just have back surgery. Gobert didn't just sit out months and months refusing to play. Gobert wasn't just traded in a trade that demonstrated that he was worth about one first in the league's minds.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - sterlingmallory - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:38 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I hope he is a distressed asset and can be had cheaply.  I think he would solve a lot of the Mavs' roster issues if we could get him for salary matching and possibly a single pick.  The issue I am most wary about is his back.  If his medical situation is bad, I wouldn't mess with him.  But on this roster, he would be amazing and solve our need for defensive presence and playmaking, while also adding another strong rebounder.  I can't imagine he would be crazy expensive, and that is how I like 'em.  We can't afford full price on a star.  I think a change of scenery with a winning club who want him and will appreciate him, along with a coach who has a ton of similarities to him as a player whom he would respect is exactly what this dude needs.  And we could certainly use what he brings.  Triple check that back though.

Yeah he sounds great in theory but in reality he provides none of those things when it really matters. In the playoffs, teams sag off him and just dare him to shoot, and since he won't, he becomes completely useless. We saw this play out in Philly and I see no reason to think the same thing wouldn't happen here.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - mvossman - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Not to me. He is THE best defensive player in the game and has consistently had a top ten impact on winning. I thought the price was higher than I expected, but not unfathomable. Gobert didn't just have back surgery. Gobert didn't just sit out months and months refusing to play. Gobert wasn't just traded in a trade that demonstrated that he was worth about one first in the league's minds.

Maybe top 10 impact in the regular season, but not in the playoffs.  I'm not one of those who thinks he can be run off the court, but if he is playing against a legit 5 out offense he can't play drop coverage which significantly reduces his defensive impact, and he does not have the offensive game to force teams out of that. Given his age and massive contract, giving up 5 first round picks for him is insane.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - SleepingHero - 07-08-2022

(07-07-2022, 11:33 PM)mvossman Wrote: Maybe top 10 impact in the regular season, but not in the playoffs.  I'm not one of those who thinks he can be run off the court, but if he is playing against a legit 5 out offense he can't play drop coverage which significantly reduces his defensive impact, and he does not have the offensive game to force teams out of that. Given his age and massive contract, giving up 5 first round picks for him is insane.

P R E A C H!

I didn't mind the Mavs targeting Gobert if he was only going to cost a single 1st, maybe 2. But 5???? Wolves went too loony.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Halfnir - 07-08-2022

(07-07-2022, 10:17 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: In the playoffs, teams sag off him and just dare him to shoot, and since he won't, he becomes completely useless. We saw this play out in Philly and I see no reason to think the same thing wouldn't happen here.

I think the problem in Philly was that he was the main ball handler at all times. If he can give the ball to Luka in such a situation and then goes into motion playing give&go or pick&roll, with the gravity Luka has on defenders, good offense will happen. 

If you can convince Simmons that he's the PG in transition (and he generates a lot of transition opportunities on his own with his defense)  and once you play against a set defense, he turns into a supercharged version of Dwight Powell, it might work very well.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Dundalis - 07-08-2022

(07-07-2022, 09:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Not to me. He is THE best defensive player in the game and has consistently had a top ten impact on winning. I thought the price was higher than I expected, but not unfathomable. Gobert didn't just have back surgery. Gobert didn't just sit out months and months refusing to play. Gobert wasn't just traded in a trade that demonstrated that he was worth about one first in the league's minds.

If he's the best defensive player in the game he wasn't that impressive against us, and I wasn't remotely worried about him. Ben Simmons is someone who if healthy is to me a much more valuable and worrying defender to face in the playoffs (he's the one defender I've seen blanket Luka multiple times). I'm being a bit facetious, Gobert is a great defensive player, but he can 100% be defensively exploited and we've actually seen it multiple times in the playoffs. Someone like Simmons cannot be exploited defensively, to where there's a certain play you can run regularly to put him out of his comfort zone and gain a leg up. Same for someone like Giannis or those other super elite long wing defenders who can basically guard any position, regardless that they can't guard the paint as well as Gobert.

Gobert is a guy you target with shot creators on the perimeter and he's not that scary, especially if you can play 5 out.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - mvossman - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 03:57 AM)Halfnir Wrote: I think the problem in Philly was that he was the main ball handler at all times. If he can give the ball to Luka in such a situation and then goes into motion playing give&go or pick&roll, with the gravity Luka has on defenders, good offense will happen. 

If you can convince Simmons that he's the PG in transition (and he generates a lot of transition opportunities on his own with his defense)  and once you play against a set defense, he turns into a supercharged version of Dwight Powell, it might work very well.

Has Simmons shown any hint of being a roll man?  The idea is great, but you are talking turning a player who already seems to have motivational issues into something he is not currently.  If that does not pan out, its hard to see how a Simmons/Luka pairing works offensively.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Smitty - 07-08-2022

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1545406664131710979?s=21&t=jX-JM_RrSmkwbPxR2NxqRg

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Kammrath - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 09:05 AM)Smitty Wrote: https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1545406664131710979?s=21&t=jX-JM_RrSmkwbPxR2NxqRg

"The trade market for Simmons is quite barren"....not surprising at all.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Scott41theMavs - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 09:20 AM)Kammrath Wrote: "The trade market for Simmons is quite barren"....not surprising at all.

It's important to note that that statement does not exclude the probability that Dallas has indeed made an offer. The Nets probably blanched in horror at the pupu platter offered - because that's all we have to offer.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Kammrath - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 09:22 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: in horror at the pupu platter offered - because that's all we have to offer.

DFS hater.

https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1545413390562217984

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - HoosierDaddyKid - 07-08-2022

https://hoopshype.com/2022/07/08/miles-bridges-situation-hornets-not-pulling-qualifying-offer/

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - SleepingHero - 07-08-2022

https://twitter.com/JDumasReports/status/1545161041352409088

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Mavs2021 - 07-08-2022

(07-08-2022, 10:19 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://hoopshype.com/2022/07/08/miles-bridges-situation-hornets-not-pulling-qualifying-offer/

Sadly this works out perfectly for the Hornets. One thing to not pull a QO, completely different for another team to sign him to an offer sheet. The tricky part for the Hornets is now how to proceed. Just QO and UFA next summer, or try to negotiate the cheaper extension against the 48 hours media backlash.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Chicagojk - 07-08-2022

I am not sure if this has been reported, but Zach Lowe said Indiana will be able to use their cap space staring this Saturday and an offer sheet potentially could be sent to Ayton.    If Ayton accepts, this would take him out of the running for any sign and trade in the KD two team or 3 team discussions.   

I can't believe PHX loses him for nothing, but I think they would take another step back in a sign and trade with Turner imo.

RE: TRADE & FA: DAL likes Thybulle? | IND close to offering Ayton? - Mavs2021 - 07-08-2022

So alleged "new" information about this mess:

Only Lakers want Irving.

Nets don´t want Westbrook. So they need a 3rd team, now to be rumoured as Spurs. Westbrook buyout? 

Simmons very likely to stay with Nets.

Mitchell staying in Utah.

Pacers want Ayton.

Suns want Durant. Do they want Turner?

Spurs taking Westbrook and Ayton offer sheet threat are the only two dominos that can set this in motion.