MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Mavs2021 - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 06:51 PM)F Gump Wrote: "The Charlotte Hornets are prepared to take calls on Gordon Hayward"

This made me chuckle, envisioning Hornets FO all huddled around a phone, waiting desperately for someone to call with a desire to trade for Hayward. And waiting. And waiting. And ...

It´s never the problem that nobody calls, it´s the just what they want. I would not mind flipping Hayward/McDaniels/Plumlee for THJ/Powell/McGee.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Jason Terry - 01-21-2023

(01-21-2023, 06:51 PM)F Gump Wrote: "The Charlotte Hornets are prepared to take calls on Gordon Hayward"

This made me chuckle, envisioning Hornets FO all huddled around a phone, waiting desperately for someone to call with a desire to trade for Hayward. And waiting. And waiting. And ...
THJ and Bertans for GH, no picks

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - SleepingHero - 01-22-2023

(01-21-2023, 07:04 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: THJ and Bertans for GH, no picks

The idea of Hayward would be great for this team, but he just doesn't play. THJ and Bertans at least are available and can hit 38+% on threes.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - DanSchwartzgan - 01-22-2023

Making financial sense of some trade rumors:

Multiple sauces (including Stein) say THJ to Cleveland is real.  Expiring Michigan guy LeVert is supposedly the package, but it feels like there would need to be some sweetener...maybe a second.

Woj has us after both Bojan and Noel.  He mentions Bertans and THJ as outgoing.  The contracts are interesting here.  Both Dallas players carry through the 24/25 season.  Bertans is only owed $22mm after this season.  Noel has a TO for an additional season.  Bojan has what appears to be two years left after this one.  But, only $2mm of that final season is guaranteed.  So, what might be assumed to be 0 additional years for Noel and 2 additional years for Bojan could be one year each instead.  

Combine all of that and you have: 

LeVert/Bertans going to Detroit.  LeVert expires and Detroit owes Bertans $22mm.

THJ going to Cleveland for two more seasons 

Bojan/Noel going to Dallas.  

The deal feels like a THJ for Bojan swap and expiring Noel for expensive Bertans.  But, what it could be is moving guys with 24/25 money (THJ and Bertans) for guys who are under control until the end of next season.  At that point, Dallas would have something close to $60mm in cap room depending on whether they S/W McGee's last year and how much it costs to keep Green.  The commitments would be Luka, DFS, Maxi, Green and Hardy.  Yeah, I know...Plan Powder.

There are some interesting names in the summer of 24 including Siakam, Jaylen Brown, Sabonis, OG and Dejounte Murray.  What is interesting about these guys is their teams are going to have issues retaining them.  Siakam is potentially eligible for a Super Max.  Extensions for Brown, Sabonis, OG and Murray are capped at 120% of their current contract.  So, none of those guys will extend and all will hit Unrestricted Free Agency. They are all 7-10 year guys and their max will be about $43mm.  Other prime age UFA's that summer include Bol, Claxton, Vanderbilt, Bamba and Hartenstein. 

There is enough money here to get Luka his second star.  

Great Dan, but what about between now and then?  Well, Dallas cuts 22/23 payroll by almost $7mm and saves a ton of LT...That's exciting!  Bojan gives you the same shooting you get from THJ plus some much needed playmaking for a season and a half.  Noel is center insurance this summer as we don't know how Wood or Powell will play out.  Anything else that happens should be concentrated on adding guys who are still cheap in the summer of 2024.   

What about Wood.  I don't have a great answer here.  Give him the Tyson Chandler treatment (2012) this summer?  Can you do a 2 year extension now with a TO on the second?  My guess is no, but it is hard to get a feel for his market.  Maybe you trade him for someone who expires at the time you want them to expire.  Some players with TO's in 23 include Beasley (in rumors with Vanderbilt who would be cheap to control in 2024), Rose (who could be combined with any of several players it would be cheap to control in 2024), Lamar Stevens (who could be part of the LeVert trade) and Isaiah Livers (who could be part of the Detroit outgoing).  Fornier has a TO for 2024.  Maybe you attach some young talent from NY in a deal involving Fournier.  Same with Hayward.  Wood/Powell for Hayward and one of their young/inexpensive bigs?  The idea isn't that you want the big dollar guy.  What you want is the cheap guy to add to DFS, Maxi, Green and Hardy in 2024.

What about draft compensation.  I think this is going to cost a pick.  If it were me, I'd try to get Cleveland's 2029 second in the LeVert deal.  I'd offer a protected Dallas 2028 first that converts to two seconds in 2029.  That way, you have 24, 26 and 30 to trade in other deals that get you the other things you need to fill the roster.  I know people hate Plan Powder, but there are reasons it might work in 2024 (unless the new CBA fixes the extension restrictions) and it creates a reset on the Repeater Tax.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Jason Terry - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 05:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Making financial sense of some trade rumors:

Multiple sauces (including Stein) say THJ to Cleveland is real.  Expiring Michigan guy LeVert is supposedly the package, but it feels like there would need to be some sweetener...maybe a second.

Woj has us after both Bojan and Noel.  He mentions Bertans and THJ as outgoing.  The contracts are interesting here.  Both Dallas players carry through the 24/25 season.  Bertans is only owed $22mm after this season.  Noel has a TO for an additional season.  Bojan has what appears to be two years left after this one.  But, only $2mm of that final season is guaranteed.  So, what might be assumed to be 0 additional years for Noel and 2 additional years for Bojan could be one year each instead.  

LeVert/Bertans going to Detroit.  LeVert expires and Detroit owes Bertans $22mm.

The deal feels like a THJ for Bojan swap and expiring Noel for expensive Bertans.  But, what it could be is moving guys with 24/25 money (THJ and Bertans) for guys who are under control until the end of next season.  At that point, Dallas would have something close to $60mm in cap room depending on whether they S/W McGee's last year and how much it costs to keep Green.  The commitments would be Luka, DFS, Maxi, Green and Hardy.  Yeah, I know...Plan Powder.

There are some interesting names in the summer of 24 including Siakam, Jaylen Brown, Sabonis, OG and Dejounte Murray.  What is interesting about these guys is their teams are going to have issues retaining them.  Siakam is potentially eligible for a Super Max.  Extensions for Brown, Sabonis, OG and Murray are capped at 120% of their current contract.  So, none of those guys will extend and all will hit Unrestricted Free Agency. They are all 7-10 year guys and their max will be about $43mm.  Other prime age UFA's that summer include Bol, Claxton, Vanderbilt, Bamba and Hartenstein. 

Great Dan, but what about between now and then?  Well, Dallas cuts 22/23 payroll by almost $7mm and saves a ton of LT...That's exciting!  Bojan gives you the same shooting you get from THJ plus some much needed playmaking for a season and a half.  Noel is center insurance this summer as we don't know how Wood or Powell will play out.  Anything else that happens should be concentrated on adding guys who are still cheap in the summer of 2024.   

What about Wood.  I don't have a great answer here.  Give him the Tyson Chandler treatment (2012) this summer?  Can you do a 2 year extension now with a TO on the second?  My guess is no, but it is hard to get a feel for his market.  Maybe you trade him for someone who expires at the time you want them to expire.  Some players with TO's in 23 include Beasley (in rumors with Vanderbilt who would be cheap to control in 2024), Rose (who could be combined with any of several players it would be cheap to control in 2024), Lamar Stevens (who could be part of the LeVert trade) and Isaiah Livers (who could be part of the Detroit outgoing).  Fornier has a TO for 2024.  Maybe you attach some young talent from NY in a deal involving Fournier.  Same with Hayward.  Wood/Powell for Hayward and one of their young/inexpensive bigs?  The idea isn't that you want the big dollar guy.  What you want is the cheap guy to add to DFS, Maxi, Green and Hardy in 2024.

What about draft compensation.  I think this is going to cost a pick.  If it were me, I'd try to get Cleveland's 2029 second in the LeVert deal.  I'd offer a protected Dallas 2028 first that converts to two seconds in 2029.  That way, you have 24, 26 and 30 to trade in other deals that get you the other things you need to fill the roster.  I know people hate Plan Powder, but there are reasons it might work in 2024 (unless the new CBA fixes the extension restrictions) and it creates a reset on the Repeater Tax.
I really like the idea of a THJ/CL swap turning into a 3 team deal. It would give the 3rd team a desirable expiring instead of THJ. Sub in Conley and Vanderbilt for Bojan for instance. I’m still on the fence on surrendering ANY draft capital for any trade until this summer though. It’s a real quandary whether we: 1) keep all picks for one big move or 2) use picks in multiple deals to build the roster

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - DanSchwartzgan - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 07:35 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I really like the idea of a THJ/CL swap turning into a 3 team deal. It would give the 3rd team a desirable expiring instead of THJ. Sub in Conley and Vanderbilt for Bojan for instance. I’m still on the fence on surrendering ANY draft capital for any trade until this summer though. It’s a real quandary whether we: 1) keep all picks for one big move or 2) use picks in multiple deals to build the roster

I'd be all for subbing in Conley/Vanderbilt instead of Bojan.  But, that deal doesn't accomplish everything I'm trying to accomplish.  The critical part is moving Bertans and getting max level space in 24.  Out of all the max-level guys that summer, the most likely target is Sabonis (which would rip Sacramento's heart out, but I can't help it if they traded for a guy who won't extend his current deal).  Every other move would be about creating space for him while also finding cheap bodies that make sense alongside the Doncic/Sabonis pairing.  Here are the holes I see:

Sabonis
DFS           Maxi
Green
                 Hardy
Luka

I'd probably still do the Bertans/Pic for Bojan thing even if I also did your deal.  1. It gets rid of Bertans and frees money in 24 while maintaining flexibility with Bojan if you don't get anyone in free agency.  2. There is some agent stuff to all of this.  Sabonis and both Bogdanovic's are with Wasserman (as is overpaid McGee and D. Rose).  I've got a little conspiracy theory stuff going on here that I didn't put in the already too long post.  3.  I don't mind using picks if it helps me fill the holes above so that the team is ready to go as soon as Sabonis is signed.

IF NY really wants Bullock, I need to fill a hole up above.  Moving C. Wood?  I'll take back a one year salary, but I need a young player to fill another hole.  Same this summer if someone wants Dinwiddie.  Conley/Vanderbilt for LeVert (through THJ) is a great example of the kind of deal I'm talking about.  Conley expires and you have the Vanderbilt hold against your cap (though I'd prefer he be RFA instead of UFA).  The deal doesn't hurt you much in 22/23 or 23/24, but it still sets you up for the summer of 24.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - dynamicalVoid - 01-22-2023

Based on the defense he has shown with the Dallas Mavericks, preferably the past few weeks since that allows Wood the most time to learn the defense...

Who would you say is worse on defense between Sabonis and Wood?  I get that Wood probably has way more potential...but is Sabonis just ass at defense or when compared to Wood he looks serviceable?

Last year or year and a half ago I was so against Sabonis because I dont think he has modern game or mobility...but Im starting to think he and Luka would be killer together offensively.  But...I dont know if his defense is what Dallas is looking for or if its so bad Mavs dont even want to look his direction.

I love Wood's touch around the basket...everything seems to go in.   I hate watching players that you dont trust their shot...I trust Wood's shot.  But Sabonis seems skilled around the basket and probably puts things in the hoop just as well.   But 3pt shot, defense and mobility are the question.   I just dont know if Sabonis' IQ and maturity make his game way better than Wood or not.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Jason Terry - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 09:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'd be all for subbing in Conley/Vanderbilt instead of Bojan.  But, that deal doesn't accomplish everything I'm trying to accomplish.  The critical part is moving Bertans and getting max level space in 24.  Out of all the max-level guys that summer, the most likely target is Sabonis (which would rip Sacramento's heart out, but I can't help it if they traded for a guy who won't extend his current deal).  Every other move would be about creating space for him while also finding cheap bodies that make sense alongside the Doncic/Sabonis pairing.  Here are the holes I see:

Sabonis
DFS           Maxi
Green
                 Hardy
Luka

I'd probably still do the Bertans/Pic for Bojan thing even if I also did your deal.  1. It gets rid of Bertans and frees money in 24 while maintaining flexibility with Bojan if you don't get anyone in free agency.  2. There is some agent stuff to all of this.  Sabonis and both Bogdanovic's are with Wasserman (as is overpaid McGee and D. Rose).  I've got a little conspiracy theory stuff going on here that I didn't put in the already too long post.  3.  I don't mind using picks if it helps me fill the holes above so that the team is ready to go as soon as Sabonis is signed.

IF NY really wants Bullock, I need to fill a hole up above.  Moving C. Wood?  I'll take back a one year salary, but I need a young player to fill another hole.  Same this summer if someone wants Dinwiddie.  Conley/Vanderbilt for LeVert (through THJ) is a great example of the kind of deal I'm talking about.  Conley expires and you have the Vanderbilt hold against your cap (though I'd prefer he be RFA instead of UFA).  The deal doesn't hurt you much in 22/23 or 23/24, but it still sets you up for the summer of 24.
This is where my thinking is as well. We need to get creative on how we build this thing. Stealing a Sabonis for nothing in UFA would go a long way. IMO, this would need to be Luka and Sabonis setting this up in advance. The timmy mac reports are true. Luka needs to take a role in team building, it’s a good thing for keeping him long term. 

Sabonis is age, talent, motor and need appropriate for Luka. At the price of free it would be a huge shift in how close we would be. It would allow us to use our picks to make constant improvements year to year like the best teams do instead of giving up all our picks for one player.

The space situation really boils down to Hardaway, Bertans, McGee and whatever long term money we add (Wood) between now and summer 2024. Which is why we need to start this process now and move Hardaway if we can do it without giving up assets. The other side of this to me is ALSO not giving up any assets to dump our players between now and then. Do this AND add a Sabonis for free and all of the sudden we are in a perfect position. This could mean keeping Bertans and sitting him out the required games next season to where we can buy him out with minimal hit.

And if we extend Wood we could trade him i believe if it came down to it. I’m not too worried about making the space for Sabonis

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - ItsGoTime - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 05:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Multiple sauces (including Stein) say THJ to Cleveland is real.  Expiring Michigan guy LeVert is supposedly the package, but it feels like there would need to be some sweetener...maybe a second.
So Cle fans are insisting that the rumor is that Cle wants sweetener in the deal. That to me is a no go. If I see another trade where we give up the best player and WE are giving up the draft pick, I’m gonna go ballistic.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - mvossman - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 05:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Making financial sense of some trade rumors:

If the goal is plan powder, you can still sign contracts that go past your powder year, they just need to be movable.  Will Wood on his max extension be moveable in 2024?  I think the answer is very likely yes, so its worth the gamble to get that done.  Guys that expire in 2025 should be easy to move as well.  I don't mind the plan powder thinking as long as that means they are careful with contracts extending past that timeframe as opposed to completely avoiding said contracts.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - Kammrath - 01-22-2023

https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1617215081925824513

Hardy+Green+1st?

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 01:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1617215081925824513

Hardy+Green+1st?

As someone who loves OG I still wouldn’t sell early on Green for him. Green is showing that he may end up being a more well rounded player than OG anyway. It’s also a weird ask considering most trades these days are heavy draft picks and not heavy on actual basketball players. All of their asks were similar like Siakam was like 3 players and a pick or something.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - omahen - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 01:39 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: As someone who loves OG I still wouldn’t sell early on Green for him. Green is showing that he may end up being a more well rounded player than OG anyway. It’s also a weird ask considering most trades these days are heavy draft picks and not heavy on actual basketball players. All of their asks were similar like Siakam was like 3 players and a pick or something.

I would do it, as long as the salary matching salary is Bertans and the pick is 2028 one. Mavs would keep 3 picks for another move in the summer that could make this team really dangerous. Another player would have to come from Toronto, either Banton or Hernangomez.

TDL team:
Luka, SD
THJ, FN
OG, Bullock
DFS, Maxi
Wood, Powell

Replace THJ with another 2-way player in the summer and this team is a serious contender.

(01-22-2023, 01:39 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: As someone who loves OG I still wouldn’t sell early on Green for him. Green is showing that he may end up being a more well rounded player than OG anyway. It’s also a weird ask considering most trades these days are heavy draft picks and not heavy on actual basketball players. All of their asks were similar like Siakam was like 3 players and a pick or something.
I’m with you. I like OG but I’d rather keep Green at this point. Hardy is a tier lower but still very much needed to do this the right way. I’m only getting uncomfortable for Siakam/SGA and that’s about it. We need to be patient

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 01:47 PM)omahen Wrote: I would do it, as long as the salary matching salary is Bertans and the pick is 2028 one. Mavs would keep 3 picks for another move in the summer that could make this team really dangerous. Another player would have to come from Toronto, either Banton or Hernangomez.

TDL team:
Luka, SD
THJ, FN
OG, Bullock
DFS, Maxi
Wood, Powell

Replace THJ with another 2-way player in the summer and this team is a serious contender.

It’s really tough for me but I agree if you do it it’s gotta be the 2028 pick for the reasons you stated. I also agree that this playoff rotation needs to have a couple legit two way wings to make the next step and what makes this tough is that I feel Josh Green may already be one of those once his role expands. So keeping him then searching for the second one this offseason is still a decent path in my mind.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - ItsGoTime - 01-22-2023

(01-22-2023, 01:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/_TradeDeadline/status/1617215081925824513

Hardy+Green+1st?
I think if the salary ballast is Bertans, I could do that (wouldn’t be fully happy with it as I’ve just proclaimed my love for Green’s game). If it’s any other player, I’m out. Bertans inclusion gives immediate salary relief for this year (MC would be happy).

Luka/THJ/OG/DFS/Wood
SD/Frank/Bullock/Maxi/Powell

Looks like a pretty solid team. Drop Frank and that is a good 9 man playoff rotation. A great playoff performance (and immediate buy in from all players) from Luka and there’s a chance to get to the finals even IMO. Would need to bring in at least 2 vet min contracts to fill in the deep bench as this trade leaves them with 3 roster spots.

(01-22-2023, 01:47 PM)omahen Wrote: I would do it, as long as the salary matching salary is Bertans and the pick is 2028 one. Mavs would keep 3 picks for another move in the summer that could make this team really dangerous. Another player would have to come from Toronto, either Banton or Hernangomez.

TDL team:
Luka, SD
THJ, FN
OG, Bullock
DFS, Maxi
Wood, Powell

Exact same page. Took me a lot longer to post mine and I didn’t see yours before starting mine.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? Reddish? | TDL Feb 9 - omahen - 01-22-2023

NBACentral on Twitter: "Report: Miami Heat looking at trade framework that would net them Kelly Olynyk and Malik Beasley from Utah Jazz https://t.co/QNkNH17NoB" / Twitter

Would you rather do the following for a hypothetical OG trade:

Bertans/Green/Hardy/28

Or

Bertans/Hardy/27/29

?

(01-22-2023, 02:33 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Would you rather do the following for a hypothetical OG trade:

Bertans/Green/Hardy/28

Or

Bertans/Hardy/27/29

?

Huh, that is a tough one. I like Green. I like OG, but I am not sure he is a robin on a contender. I think Mavs would need more to become a real contender. But there are many ways to get there and keeping Green might give us more flexibility going forward. I would probably prefer to keep Green, unless another deal requiring 3 FRP would be lined up.