MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - KillerLeft - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 03:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: My point is, as complex as the Turner situation is, I think that decision is what happens FIRST for Indy. That then defines how much cap room they might have left for a Collins pursuit, and impacts how that might look. But until Turner decision is in their past, I don't think they will want to use a giant chunk of cap room for a Collins deal, lest it make the Turner situation even harder to navigate.

I agree. Not only for this logic (which is so insightful and interesting, thanks!) but because I, personally, don't think Carlisle would want to pair those particular two players together.

(01-16-2023, 04:12 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I listen with interest to Carlisle talking about no desire to trade Turner and wonder who his intended audience is.  It certainly could be the media and other teams, but I wonder if he's not talking to his own front office who so far hasn't gotten the job done with Turner.

My take is that he's talking to (pleading with) Turner, himself.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Chicagojk - 01-16-2023

I think I am back to no trades at deadline.  Although if they lose 3 of 4, all bets are off Smile.

We finally have a few decent Bullock games.  I feel like I have been walking through the sewer all year watching him.  Hate to give him away if daylight is up ahead.   I would certainly move him but it would need to be a move that I thought made us better now and in the future.

Same with Hardaway.  I would move him if I found a love that balances our roster and who made us better.  But if nothing transpired, keep him.  If he plays well this year, he will be more valuable in the off-season.  He will need to trim a few minutes to allow us to get Jaden a handful of minutes.

This off-season it is open season for most everyone on the roster.  But let’s deal in a position of strength if we do not find a trade we view as a win this season.  I would be looking for a guard or 4 or maybe 5 for a 10 day.  Until maxi is back, we may need another playable body.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - KillerLeft - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 06:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I am back to no trades at deadline.  Although if they lose 3 of 4, all bets are off Smile.

We finally have a few decent Bullock games.  I feel like I have been walking through the sewer all year watching him.  Hate to give him away if daylight is up ahead.   I would certainly move him but it would need to be a move that I thought made us better now and in the future.

Same with Hardaway.  I would move him if I found a love that balances our roster and who made us better.  But if nothing transpired, keep him.  If he plays well this year, he will be more valuable in the off-season.  He will need to trim a few minutes to allow us to get Jaden a handful of minutes.

This off-season it is open season for most everyone on the roster.  But let’s deal in a position of strength if we do not find a trade we view as a win this season.  I would be looking for a guard or 4 or maybe 5 for a 10 day.  Until maxi is back, we may need another playable body.

It's a real bummer that the entire team's health blew up just as they were starting to try to play better. They've actually done fairly well through this stretch of injuries, when you think about it. While I'm sure there are things they want and feel like they don't have, the current situation will make it more difficult to identify the right deal, imo.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - F Gump - 01-16-2023

CJK makes a great point, that there's not much value in putting lipstick on a pig. You don't want to invest future assets into THIS season, if it's going nowhere, even if if could be made to go someplace not quite as depressing. I don't see much to like about this team right now, frankly.

And yet one disclaimer -- for all we know, maybe there's more potential on this roster for this season than it looks like. One part of the picture we never truly see is the health situation -- we assume they are at 100%, but the early season may not actually be telling us the truth. And it might not be telling a trade partner the truth either, perhaps leading them to undervalue what we offer if we try to make a trade. Selling low, based on flawed info, is not something to wish for. Our best answers to what we lack MIGHT already be here.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - dirkfansince1998 - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 06:44 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think I am back to no trades at deadline.  Although if they lose 3 of 4, all bets are off Smile.

Personally I support the direct opposite. Try to get the max amount of value in return now that they are looking like halfway useful rotation pieces. I am all in on the future. Don´t really care about the end of the season (and honestly don´t think losing them would make a big difference). Try to move on from role players on the wrong side of 30. Retool and reset the age and salary structure of the team.

The one thing I don´t want to see is another half-hearted attempt to turn the season around with a deadline trade. Something like the Redick trade. They have to make a choice. Pick a direction. Either all in on win now. Or sell with a clear focus on assets and young talent.
Inability to make that choice has been a constant problem over the last couple of seasons. Delaying crucial decisions (contract extensions, trades). Waiting for opportunities that may or may not arrive instead of actively trying to improve the roster.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - dirkfansince1998 - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 07:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's a real bummer that the entire team's health blew up just as they were starting to try to play better. They've actually done fairly well through this stretch of injuries, when you think about it. While I'm sure there are things they want and feel like they don't have, the current situation will make it more difficult to identify the right deal, imo.

They took advantage of a soft schedule but I wasn´t encouraged by those games. Took some super human performances from Luka to beat tanking teams and in the few games against good opponents they never stood a chance. Not to mention that the "healthy" (as far as we know) start of the season was just as bad or even worse than a year ago.
Delaying the inevitable won´t help. Didn´t help with KP's trade value. Didn´t help with Brunson's contract.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - DanSchwartzgan - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 08:02 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Personally I support the direct opposite. Try to get the max amount of value in return now that they are looking like halfway useful rotation pieces. I am all in on the future. Don´t really care about the end of the season (and honestly don´t think losing them would make a big difference). Try to move on from role players on the wrong side of 30. Retool and reset the age and salary structure of the team.

The one thing I don´t want to see is another half-hearted attempt to turn the season around with a deadline trade. Something like the Redick trade. They have to make a choice. Pick a direction. Either all in on win now. Or sell with a clear focus on assets and young talent.
Inability to make that choice has been a constant problem over the last couple of seasons. Delaying crucial decisions (contract extensions, trades). Waiting for opportunities that may or may not arrive instead of actively trying to improve the roster.

Hopefully, the smartest man in the room knows to zig when others are zagging.  I’m fine with being a seller if the player being sold isn’t right for the team.  It makes sense to me that THJ would be on the block.  We didn’t have him last season and went on a run to the WCF’s.  We have four O-Only guys in the starting lineup if we are starting Luka, SD, THJ and Wood.  That is unbalanced. We have promising youngsters ready for more playing time behind him and gaping holes in other places.

THJ isn’t worthless.  I said all summer that trading him then was a bad idea.  But, he’s reestablished value and I don’t have any issue if they can do something that improves us longer term.  I agree that I’m not interesting in lipstick for this pig.  But, I don’t think moving Green into the starting lineup hurts current competitiveness at all.  The question is how you fill holes elsewhere with what you’d get for THJ.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Mavs2021 - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 08:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They took advantage of a soft schedule but I wasn´t encouraged by those games. Took some super human performances from Luka to beat tanking teams and in the few games against good opponents they never stood a chance. Not to mention that the "healthy" (as far as we know) start of the season was just as bad or even worse than a year ago.
Delaying the inevitable won´t help. Didn´t help with KP's trade value. Didn´t help with Brunson's contract.

...and normally the wins against the Knicks and Lakers are losses, you are at 22-23, a game ahead of the Lakers in 13th.

Then the injuries have a big impact, too.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - sefant - 01-16-2023

I floated the idea of trading for Vanderbilt after looking at the rebounding stats, since Jazz are looking more and more like a potential seller right now. Protected 1st if possible.

If you give up a 1st, i would only do it for someone younger with upside. No offence, but all the old geezers past 30 for a 1st is just not keeping an eye on the future. Bojan doesn't fix any defensive issues trying to fit in another player who is questionable at defense. Vanderbilt makes 4m and is a salary match with McGee.

With McGee being unplayable the Mavs rebounding remains an issue. Vanderbilt could help? Thoughts? Playable next to Wood?

Mavs are 30th in rebounding percentage, not sure whats the best rebounding stats to look at. Not really a rebounding expert at all. Or win/losses stats concerning rebounding.

The first Blazers game without Wood was 47-25 on the glass. Mavs could really use some rebounding from other positions. The moment Luka has games with ~ 5 boards and not 10-15 boards, Mavs look extra bad rebounding the ball. Defensive issues + rebounding on top are often making it hard to win games. Unless DFS and Green will help rebounding the ball.

Last season 16th in rebounding %
This season 30th in rebounding %

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - F Gump - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 04:44 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If you want to give Indy access to all possible avenues you mentioned earlier with Turner, you do the deal that is listed above this post. 

.....it doesn't have to be that combo of players to get Turner's renegotiation to $37mm.

The point of my post was actually the opposite -- which was, that I would expect Indy to FIRST decide what to do about Turner. I don't see them trying to keep all those Turner choices intact while doing a Collins trade, but rather getting the Turner thing out of the way first.

If I'm guessing, I seriously doubt they have any serious plans to give Turner max money this season of $37M, even though in theory that can lead to lower salaries for him later.

I also wonder if Dallas somehow gets in the mix for him eventually, if he isn't extended.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Mavs2021 - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 09:53 PM)F Gump Wrote: The point of my post was actually the opposite -- which was, that I would expect Indy to FIRST decide what to do about Turner. I don't see them trying to keep all those Turner choices intact while doing a Collins trade, but rather getting the Turner thing out of the way first.

If I'm guessing, I seriously doubt they have any serious plans to give Turner max money this season of $37M, even though in theory that can lead to lower salaries for him later.

I also wonder if Dallas somehow gets in the mix for him eventually, if he isn't extended.

Have to figure the cap development into the equation, but even with it, I don´t see more than $20-25M per year. Without it, I´d actually land at $16-20M.

Also worth noting that Dario Saric is showing first signs of life after his ACL. Just 8/4/2 in limited minutes in January, but shooting 50/40/100. Certainly a buy very low candidate for now or the summer.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 04:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think I read Theis is close to returning (convenient timing).

Smith and LeVert to Atlanta leaves them just under the LT, so that works.  

All of this is predicated on Turner staying (which I think makes sense for him and for Indy).  There is plenty of room to get him done if both sides want to.

Building on your Smith to Atlanta deal (and desire to bring Bitadze here...which I agree with).  It could be: 

THJ to Cleveland 
LeVert and J. Smith and picks to Atlanta (leaving them under the tax)
Collins to Indy
Bitadze and Duarte to Dallas  

INTERESTINGLY...that combination allows Indy to go to Turner's max for 22/23 ($37.1) with pennies to spare.

Sorry, but I don't see Bitadze or Duarte as rotation pieces on a good team.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-16-2023

(01-16-2023, 08:02 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Personally I support the direct opposite. Try to get the max amount of value in return now that they are looking like halfway useful rotation pieces. I am all in on the future. Don´t really care about the end of the season (and honestly don´t think losing them would make a big difference). Try to move on from role players on the wrong side of 30. Retool and reset the age and salary structure of the team.

Correct.  Sell high.  Buy low.

(01-16-2023, 03:53 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I see a guy that outplayed Jokic and Saric as an 18 year old in the same tough ABA league. Leading a rugged adults balkans league in rebounding and shotblocking by a huge margin as a teenager. A guy that has already shown he can block and rebound at an NBA level and that needs an opportunity. Real question is his health imho. But he´s just a throw in, that is cost-effective, has upside and fits perfectly into that role they designated for McGee. Strength, shotblocking and rebounding for 12-18 MPG off the bench. Plus you want a guy to protect Luka and f*** up a Morris twin if necessary.... Big Grin

And someone beat Jordan out to make his HS team.  

Bitadze has shown us that in his 4th year in the league, on a bad team he can only muster 8mpg.  And his numbers are in decline.  I know he's not a stat sheet guy, but signing an MMA heavy weight would fulfill the duties you listed, because I'm not above effing up a Morris twin.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - KillerLeft - 01-17-2023

(01-16-2023, 08:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They took advantage of a soft schedule but I wasn´t encouraged by those games. Took some super human performances from Luka to beat tanking teams and in the few games against good opponents they never stood a chance. Not to mention that the "healthy" (as far as we know) start of the season was just as bad or even worse than a year ago.

Well, I don’t think the win streak was nothing, but I agree to an extent. That’s not the stretch I was at referring to, actually. I was more thinking of the stretch after Hardaway was put in the lineup but before Kleber and Finney-Smith got hurt. They didn’t win a bunch of games in a row, but the ball was starting to move, corner threes were starting to drop and they were starting to put some better defensive efforts together.

I just don’t buy this notion that the roster is trash and there’s no hope. I think Jalen Brunson and a better coach would make a load of a difference.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Mavs2021 - 01-17-2023

(01-16-2023, 11:01 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: And someone beat Jordan out to make his HS team.  

Bitadze has shown us that in his 4th year in the league, on a bad team he can only muster 8mpg.  And his numbers are in decline.  I know he's not a stat sheet guy, but signing an MMA heavy weight would fulfill the duties you listed, because I'm not above effing up a Morris twin.

So what is your take on Christian Wood, who at the same stage of his career, had played for five teams, 200 TOTAL NBA minutes averaging 3 PPG/2 RPG.

I assume we let him go in the summer, since he´ll clearly never amount to anything and can´t even beat up a Morris twin. Undecided

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Chicagojk - 01-17-2023

(01-16-2023, 10:43 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Correct.  Sell high.  Buy low.

I guess that was the point of my post earlier.  Who are you selling high on?

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 04:15 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So what is your take on Christian Wood, who at the same stage of his career, had played for five teams, 200 TOTAL NBA minutes averaging 3 PPG/2 RPG.

I assume we let him go in the summer, since he´ll clearly never amount to anything and can´t even beat up a Morris twin. Undecided

Huh?  That's all over the place.  Players are who they are, what they produce in the NBA.  Wood is a 20/10/2/2 guy.  How is that remotely comparable to complete scrubs you're trying to trade for?  What does it matter what ANY player was before they produced in the NBA?

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - DanSchwartzgan - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 09:57 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Huh?  That's all over the place.  Players are who they are, what they produce in the NBA.  Wood is a 20/10/2/2 guy.  How is that remotely comparable to complete scrubs you're trying to trade for?  What does it matter what ANY player was before they produced in the NBA?

That’s his point.  He gave you Wood’s NBA data at the same age/stage of his career.  He was a “complete scrub” and couldn’t stick with anyone.  It is intellectually dishonest to call one a scrub and not the other at that point.  Both show/showed clues of what they might become/became.  But it was in no way destiny at that point that Wood would be a 20/10 guy just like it is not destiny at this point that Bitadze won’t.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ to MIA? - Ghost of Podkolzin - 01-17-2023

(01-17-2023, 08:24 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I guess that was the point of my post earlier.  Who are you selling high on?

I would call it as high as it's going to get, lol.  THJ, Bullock, and Powell have positive value now.