MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Branduil Wrote: The problem with THJ is you can't bench him or his play sinks like a rock, but he's not really good or consistent enough to be a starter. At least not on this team. And as long as he's here he'll be blocking guys like Green or Hardy from starting.

I think that’s why he only works as a trade piece for the Cavs at the moment as they have a glaring hole at the wing, feel that Lavert doesn’t give them what they need and think Okoro isn’t ready yet. So in their case he absolutely is good enough to be a starter.

For the record, I do think he is good enough to be a starter here and it’s crazy how much we’ve needed him because of DEFENSE during this stretch where everyone is out but I’m ready to start moving towards a future roster state with Luka and that begins by moving Green into the starting lineup to see what he’s really got. I for one do not think Lavert would start here and be brought in as a rental for bench production (and hopefully as a means to extend Wood).

I mentioned this before but if you can finesse Okoro into this deal using Frank and SRPs then you have put yourself in a position to go hard after any player in the 18-25 mil range without giving up Green or Hardy.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:45 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Agreed.  And, when SD was coming off the bench last season he didn’t have the same +/- issues he’s having today.  Maybe the way to look at this is LeVert is a poor man’s Brunson replacement and SD goes back to being the SD replacement.  LeVert isn’t a PG, but playing next to Luka, no one is really a PG (even Brunson).  

Can you get enough ball movement using Green/LeVert in the starting lineup to make up for the ball movement you had with Brunson/Reggie?  I disagree with the idea we would start LeVert and Dinwiddie.  What I could see is Wood, Maxi/DFS, Green, LeVert, Luka  (very switchable with some rim protection) with Powell, Maxi/DFS, Reggie, Dinwiddie off the bench.  Hardy eventually plays himself into the Reggie spot (he’s got another year to do it).  DFS and Maxi could start situationally depending on the size of the other team.

If you bring everyone back, you are a taxpayer again.  If you let anyone go, you only have the TP MLE to replace them.

Ya I could see Lavert and Green starting and Dinwiddie back in his old role but definitely with you that it wouldn’t be Dinwiddie/Lavert. I think they can talk themselves into recreating what they had last year with Lavert coming off the bench and playing Dinwiddies role last year and continue to use Dinwiddie in Brunsons role simply because they seem to take a long time ramping folks up into our schemes and Lavert most likely won’t be here next year.

Also agree that no one is a PG next to Luka, I think games like last night show you that we really only have one PG on the roster which is pretty frightening.

(01-09-2023, 10:40 AM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Or better yet......TRADE THEM BOTH.

Very curious on the decision making around Dinwiddie during his contract year next year. Moving on would be ideal but we’re still soooooo short handed when it comes to ball handling it puts us in a tough spot.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Kammrath - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:55 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: we’re still soooooo short handed when it comes to ball handling it puts us in a tough spot.

And by "ball handling," we mean someone who can go 1 v 5 and dribble out the shot clock while everyone else watches?

I get on some level the concern with a lack of ball handling, but just because someone can handle the ball, doesn't mean the offense is going to be helped.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - DanSchwartzgan - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:47 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I mentioned this before but if you can finesse Okoro into this deal using Frank and SRPs then you have put yourself in a position to go hard after any player in the 18-25 mil range without giving up Green or Hardy.

Would you do LeVert/Okoro for THJ/Hardy?

(01-09-2023, 11:00 AM)Kammrath Wrote: And by "ball handling," we mean someone who can go 1 v 5 and dribble out the shot clock while everyone else watches?

I get on some level the concern with a lack of ball handling, but just because someone can handle the ball, doesn't mean the offense is going to be helped.

I hear this but also don’t forget what those Clippers series looked like where absolutely everything went to hell as soon as Luka passed it. I’m with you though, I hope Green can show a continued growth to attacking a rotating defense by flooring it and Hardy’s role can grow because we can’t just ignore that skill set. It would just mean more work for Luka.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Kammrath - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 11:07 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Would you do LeVert/Okoro for THJ/Hardy?

[Image: ugh-clinteastwood.gif]

(01-09-2023, 11:09 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: It would just mean more work for Luka.

OR more work on the coaching staff to actually devise an offensive system that doesn't demand one player do all the work.

(01-09-2023, 11:07 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Would you do LeVert/Okoro for THJ/Hardy?

Probably not. For me the goal of getting Okoro would be so that we have a good young asset (on a good expiring salary number) to flip this summer in place of using Hardy so that we can continue to develop him and see what we got.

It still puts us in a position where we have a much strong package this offseason though so it’s intriguing. Lots of overlap between Green/Okoro skill sets so one of them is definitely trade fodder is they are on the same roster.

(01-09-2023, 11:11 AM)Kammrath Wrote: OR more work on the coaching staff to actually devise an offensive system that doesn't demand one player do all the work.

We need to be honest with ourselves though about whether we’re in a position of demanding it or if we’re in a position where it’s absolutely required. We’re already teetering on the edge of the latter WITH Dinwiddie on the roster. I’m all for moving him but you need a similar skill set coming back.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - omahen - 01-09-2023

I am not really impressed by Okoro. I think Hardy has a higher ceiling.

(01-09-2023, 11:19 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not really impressed by Okoro. I think Hardy has a higher ceiling.

Agree with this and also think Green has a higher ceiling as well (but maybe seeing Okoro play more could change my mind). Okoro is still a great asset on the roster compared to what we currently have though so I think it’s important to explore that opportunity.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - KillerLeft - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Branduil Wrote: The problem with THJ is you can't bench him or his play sinks like a rock, but he's not really good or consistent enough to be a starter. At least not on this team. And as long as he's here he'll be blocking guys like Green or Hardy from starting.

I don’t agree that what’s best for Green or Hardy is to remove all players ahead of them in the pecking order, but I think there’s some validity to your “can’t bench THJ, and he’s not quite good enough as a starter” point. That, essentially, is the issue with him.

In order to move him, however, I feel pretty strongly that you need to replace him, and not by outright gifting a kid a role he hasn’t quite earned yet. Green has earned a role, for sure, but it’s a much different role than the one Hardaway has, and while Hardy’s skill set might actually be a solution to replacing Hardaway at some point, he’s not ready.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Chicagojk - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 11:21 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Agree with this and also think Green has a higher ceiling as well (but maybe seeing Okoro play more could change my mind). Okoro is still a great asset on the roster compared to what we currently have though so I think it’s important to explore that opportunity.

2020 is such a weird draft.   A few guys picked later are performing like near all stars.   But a lot of the guys picked in the mid to late lottery have not really developed.    Lately you have had Green, Nesmith, Poku, Nnaji, McDaniels show some signs.   Appears to be a lot of misses though.

(01-09-2023, 11:23 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t agree that what’s best for Green or Hardy is to remove all players ahead of them in the pecking order, but I think there’s some validity to your “can’t bench THJ, and he’s not quite good enough as a starter” point. That, essentially, is the issue with him.

In order to move him, however, I feel pretty strongly that you need to replace him, and not by outright gifting a kid a role he hasn’t quite earned yet. Green has earned a role, for sure, but it’s a much different role than the one Hardaway has, and while Hardy’s skill set might actually be a solution to replacing Hardaway at some point, he’s not ready.

Do you feel Green could take on a higher share of threes? He can’t replicate it at Hardaways current numbers (I believe about 8 a game), but do you think Green could put up about 5 a game and be coached into taking a little more risk/contested shots with his offensive game?

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1612466402597691392

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1612453674243989517

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Okstate819 - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:55 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Very curious on the decision making around Dinwiddie during his contract year next year. Moving on would be ideal but we’re still soooooo short handed when it comes to ball handling it puts us in a tough spot.

I'm all aboard the sell high on Dinwiddie. He's still a flawed player and if you don't have the intention of resigning him after next season, now would be the perfect time to move him.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - cow - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 06:32 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: I think we should get a 2nd in the deal

I'd want multiple at least.  Cavs second round draft picks are going to be at the tail end of the draft.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Chicagojk - 01-09-2023

a few Cavs fans thoughts on THJ

https://www.reddit.com/r/clevelandcavs/comments/107foio/trade_nugget_from_stein_ht_to_realmyoung23/

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - DanSchwartzgan - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 11:13 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Probably not. For me the goal of getting Okoro would be so that we have a good young asset (on a good expiring salary number) to flip this summer in place of using Hardy so that we can continue to develop him and see what we got.

It still puts us in a position where we have a much strong package this offseason though so it’s intriguing. Lots of overlap between Green/Okoro skill sets so one of them is definitely trade fodder is they are on the same roster.

We need to be honest with ourselves though about whether we’re in a position of demanding it or if we’re in a position where it’s absolutely required. We’re already teetering on the edge of the latter WITH Dinwiddie on the roster. I’m all for moving him but you need a similar skill set coming back.

I get all of that.  The point of the question is if THJ and LeVert are equally meh (which seems to be the consensus of both fan bases), then you aren’t going to get Cleveland to just throw in the former #5 overall for Frank.  It just isn’t going to happen.  Have to give to get.  So, if Okoro is desired you have to look at what the asking price is likely to be.  I think it is Hardy at the very least.