MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - cow - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 03:17 PM)omahen Wrote: I think you are greatly undervaluing the market price of LeBron. 1 year rental of Kawhi cost DeRozan, Poeltl and FRP. With all the respect to Kawhi, I think LeBrons value is in another league. It makes zero sense for Lakers to trade him for a bunch of trash. LeBron brings more income to the team if he is just sitting on the bench for whole season.

Whatever it may be, my question was, if you would break a bank for LeBron? It seems your answer is no and I am fine with that.

Kawhi was 27 and impacted both sides of the floor and if healthy was considered one of the best players on the planet.  What LeBron doing at his age is ridiculously impressive but he's not in the best player in the world conversation anymore.  And yes he walked, but there was potential for a long term fit for Kawhi in Toronto.  There is no long term to acquiring LeBron.  That's not to say a team will not try to acquire him to push himself over the top, but that's going to limit the possibilities which are already limited due to draft assets and salary matching.  

I'm pretty apathetic to the idea.   The names I though out were less a trade idea and more of a questioning if we can make the assets fit.  I don't see it.  And throwing multiple future picks at the Lakers would be insanity unless you are OKC and drowning in them.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Mavs2021 - 01-08-2023

Why not? Kinda like Westbrook. Expiring, no defense, stat-padding, big money so you can send your trash the other way. Big Grin

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - DanSchwartzgan - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 02:06 AM)F Gump Wrote: Re Bogy,  

3 As for BB's value, on offense there's no question -- he can score from anywhere and does it well (this season he's close to a 50/40/90 guy, which is incredibly elite efficiency).

4 As to whether BB sux as a defender, I would wager no one here really watches him play with any regularity and focuses on his defense, and I don't either, so I just see what the rating says. BR's number is their defensive PPP determination for a player, and it says he's awful, basically the worst defender on the league's worst defense.  

I think it was Killer who said this feels like a Mav move.  I like Bogy and if we had a different center, I might be interested.  But, Bojan's offense isn't necessary next to Luka/Wood and if Wood is going to occupy the center position, Bogy is just the wrong archetype next to him.  A lot of the trade ideas I like put a premium defender in the four slot who also offers a bit more diversity on O than Dorian or Maxi.

It is still probably an open question whether deals that help to make Wood work are the right way to go.  On the Numbers On The Board podcast this week, Bobby K asks Skin what he thinks of Wood as the starting five.  He stammers a bit, says he's not sure and then says he's not a starting five on a championship team.  They say VERY complimentary things about Wood's offense and how he's an important part of the team going forward and praise the way he's stepped up in recent games.  However, Skin thinks he's either a four or a backup five here when the Mav's get really good.  

Not sure how much better Skin has his ear to the ground than anyone else, but I do recall following past transactions him intimating that 'such-and-such' move makes sense based on 'what we've been hearing'.  Earlier in the podcast there was talk about the identity this team wants to have being more focused on defense.  So, unless there is some other move that brings in a defensive beast, I don't see us giving up assets to bring in Bogdanovic.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Kammrath - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 03:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Bobby K asks Skin what he thinks of Wood as the starting five.  He stammers a bit, says he's not sure and then says he's not a starting five on a championship team.  They say VERY complimentary things about Wood's offense and how he's an important part of the team going forward and praise the way he's stepped up in recent games.  However, Skin thinks he's either a four or a backup five here when the Mav's get really good.

Ugh.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - cow - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 03:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: However, Skin thinks he's either a four or a backup five here when the Mav's get really good.  

Kind of an insane thought process considering the level of play and quality of players at the position of late.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - KillerLeft - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 03:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is still probably an open question whether deals that help to make Wood work are the right way to go.  On the Numbers On The Board podcast this week, Bobby K asks Skin what he thinks of Wood as the starting five.  He stammers a bit, says he's not sure and then says he's not a starting five on a championship team.  They say VERY complimentary things about Wood's offense and how he's an important part of the team going forward and praise the way he's stepped up in recent games.  However, Skin thinks he's either a four or a backup five here when the Mav's get really good. 

While I find this interesting as a possible window into what the actual important Mavs decision makers might be thinking, it's also a guy who thought the Mavs would be better off with Mo Bamba than Luka Doncic prior to that draft.

(01-08-2023, 03:46 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't see us giving up assets to bring in Bogdanovic.

I hope not.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Halfnir - 01-08-2023

(01-08-2023, 01:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Thing is, the Mavs' tradeable players are THJ, SD (solitarily if we get a player who can also create his own shot back in the deal), DFS, Powell, Maxi, Bertans, Frank, Bullock, Wright, and McGee.

Maxi can not be traded until end of the season due to his extension.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - SleepingHero - 01-09-2023

It's pretty crazy how ineffective everyone is when Luka sits.

I figured it was a scheduled loss though. This team does desperately need another ball creator that can take control and lead the offense. Brunson (who while I still maintain isn't worth that contract) could lead an offense for half a quarter relatively well, even if only it was him creating efficient shots for himself.

It does make me wonder how much better this team would function if we had a guy like FVV. Of course he's nowhere near Brunson in terms of efficiency and he's declining due to age/injury, but he's still a 20ppg guy who's delivered on the biggest stage. He can defend too.

But then I think about the 130+ mil contract the Mavs would be forced to throw at him this summer and my stomach turns queasy. Maybe if he comes along with Siakam I'd be okay.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - SamStetz - 01-09-2023

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1612320394278477826

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - SamStetz - 01-09-2023

https://twitter.com/MavsPlsWin/status/1612321313548570624

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - cow - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 01:46 AM)SamStetz Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsPlsWin/status/1612321313548570624

Really wonder what the compensation is beyond the LeVert/THJ swap assuming that portion of the rumor is true.  And further if the Mavs plan to invest in LaVert long term.  Same question for Din.

We'd only need Russell and Allen to reassemble that 2018 Nets team.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Dundalis - 01-09-2023

I get the feeling Levert is a bit Dinwiddie like, in that if he's asked to do too much, he's terrible, but if he's told to occupy a role and stick to it, and he listens, he could be a very good player in the right system, maybe even putting up some career efficiency numbers like Dinwiddie is doing. Can do a bit of everything including ball handle and plays decent defense. But it's certainly a risk that it doesn't happen and he's just another Josh Richardson instead.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Jason Terry - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 03:25 AM)cow Wrote: Really wonder what the compensation is beyond the LeVert/THJ swap assuming that portion of the rumor is true.  And further if the Mavs plan to invest in LaVert long term.  Same question for Din.

We'd only need Russell and Allen to reassemble that 2018 Nets team.
I think we should get a 2nd in the deal

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Kammrath - 01-09-2023

https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/status/1612432732214247424

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - KillerLeft - 01-09-2023

This is very different. Mavs haven't really allowed their players to be in rumors so overtly before, at least not that I can remember. I wonder what effect this will have on the team's play, if any.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Chicagojk - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 08:22 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/status/1612432732214247424

Interesting that Stein has reported this.   Man, I try to be a spur of the moment guy but i have been thinking of Din vs Hardaway lately.   Hardaway is a frustrating watch and I think long term he complicates things if you keep him.   But he has been competing hard (most games).  While not great on defense, he has made some plays.   So I have been wondering, if Dallas got another really good creator this offseason, would it be better to keep Hardaway and move Dinwiddie.   That would require adding a third creator.  This would keep a logjam unless that second creator was a wing imo.   

Dinwiddie is just a frustrating watch for me.   I think I am biased because I get frustrated that some in the organization thought he was better than Jalen when that trade happened last year.   He has been fine, but I am not sure I view him as a piece long term here.    Maybe I need to take a step back and re-evaluate though.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Branduil - 01-09-2023

The problem with THJ is you can't bench him or his play sinks like a rock, but he's not really good or consistent enough to be a starter. At least not on this team. And as long as he's here he'll be blocking guys like Green or Hardy from starting.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Chicagojk - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Branduil Wrote: The problem with THJ is you can't bench him or his play sinks like a rock, but he's not really good or consistent enough to be a starter. At least not on this team. And as long as he's here he'll be blocking guys like Green or Hardy from starting.

Yeah, those are all good points.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - Kammrath - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: keep Hardaway and move Dinwiddie

[Image: giphy.gif]

Or better yet......TRADE THEM BOTH.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? | THJ available - DanSchwartzgan - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Branduil Wrote: The problem with THJ is you can't bench him or his play sinks like a rock, but he's not really good or consistent enough to be a starter. At least not on this team. And as long as he's here he'll be blocking guys like Green or Hardy from starting.

Agreed.  And, when SD was coming off the bench last season he didn’t have the same +/- issues he’s having today.  Maybe the way to look at this is LeVert is a poor man’s Brunson replacement and SD goes back to being the SD replacement.  LeVert isn’t a PG, but playing next to Luka, no one is really a PG (even Brunson).  

Can you get enough ball movement using Green/LeVert in the starting lineup to make up for the ball movement you had with Brunson/Reggie?  I disagree with the idea we would start LeVert and Dinwiddie.  What I could see is Wood, Maxi/DFS, Green, LeVert, Luka  (very switchable with some rim protection) with Powell, Maxi/DFS, Reggie, Dinwiddie off the bench.  Hardy eventually plays himself into the Reggie spot (he’s got another year to do it).  DFS and Maxi could start situationally depending on the size of the other team.

If you bring everyone back, you are a taxpayer again.  If you let anyone go, you only have the TP MLE to replace them.