MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - KillerLeft - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 02:52 PM)mvossman Wrote: Amazingly, as bad as Powell's box score stats looked in the playoffs last season, he still had the highest net rating on the team.

I'm not sure this completely explains the phenomenon, but I know it's part of the answer:

The Luka/Powell pnr game is GREAT. Not good, GREAT. Transcendent, even, and that's true even after Powell's awful injury. 

The #1 goal for any team playing Dallas is to take that away, which is why we see nothing but switching all the time, even from teams who aren't set up to play that way (like Utah in the playoffs, for example). 

Because the Mavs can go into games knowing that teams will go to drastic measures to keep Powell from rim-running, there's a measure of planning their reaction that's more possible than it might be for other teams. Now, it would be helpful (and less boring) if Powell offered an alternative way to play offense that could exploit this situation more, for sure (this is why I was so excited about Wood being his replacement, and not McGee). 

The bottom line is that when Powell is on the floor, that pnr game must be respected and has an impact on the game even when we don't get to see them run it.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - KillerLeft - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 02:55 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: but my vision would be Wood/Gafford/Vet Min at center.  

You could certainly do a lot worse than this. And, it successfully removes McGee. Lots to like.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Okstate819 - 12-29-2022

I know the Collins stuff has been talked about over and over, but when looking through each team's cap sheet ATL is by far the most motivated team to make a deal before the deadline IMO. With Deandre Hunter's extension starting next year, Dejounte Murray likely signing a 30+ mill deal and Okongwu probably getting a 15-18 mill deal the following year it looks like to me the notoriously cheap Hawks would need to offload two of Collins, Bogi, and Capela and possibly all 3. What would we think about including draft assets or Hardy to acquire multiple of these guys. Hypothetically.....

DAL receives - Collins, Capela, Bogi
ATL receives - Wood, Powell, Bullock, Bertans, Hardy? 2027 1st?

PG - Luka
SG - Bogi
SF - DFS
PF - Collins
C - Capela

6th -Dinwiddie
B - Kleber
B - Green
B - THJ

I could see the appeal to using draft assets for multiple rotation pieces. This team would be one of the deepest in the league and pretty versatile at Guard, Forward and Big. I think just giving ATL the cap relief wouldn't be enough but including an unprotected pick might get it done. Even with Bertans in this deal they would save approx. 40+ million against next years cap.

Of course with anything like this we can assume Mark wont add significant salary but if we could find a way to offload Mcgee our payroll next season would be just slightly higher than if we didn't do this deal and assume Wood signs and extension.

Just food for thought on whether the draft assets or tradeable pieces HAVE to be used for a 2nd star or if acquiring multiple playoff rotation level players would be a reasonable route.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - DanSchwartzgan - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 02:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: @"DanSchwartzgan" have you found a place that accurately tracks screen assist numbers? I'm curious how Powell would look on a per 36 basis in that area. My guess is at or near the top of the league (some of which would be owed to Luka, of course).

They have a per game number at NBA.com under player stats in the "hustle" category.  You'd need to do some math to get a ranking on a per 36 basis.  Maybe they have that somewhere else like Cleaning the Glass or Second Spectrum.  I don't know.

Powell gets 2.5 screen assists leading to six points in 17.4 minutes a game

Gafford gets 2.2 screen assists leading to 4.7 points in 15.5 minutes a game.

Normalize for minutes and 2.2 becomes 2.46.  I think when you account for the difference between Luka and whoever Gafford is setting screens for in DC, there probably isn't much difference.  Given the age difference, there is time for Gafford to grow into the skill a bit more, but I'm not sure it is necessary.  He certainly has the physical tools.

(12-29-2022, 03:14 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: PF - Collins
C - Capela

I keep bringing this up, and people keep ignoring it, so maybe I'm crazy. 

BUT, to me, this is simply taking the Hawks' problems and making them the Mavs' problems. That big tandem isn't working with Trae Young, who, while not remotely as good as Luka, is a similar heliocentric pnr ball-handler, right? 

I think the reason Collins is so available is that ATL has determined he's not suited to be the type of 4 who can complement Young/Capela. I could be wrong, of course, but I personally don't have interest in them both

I think the charm of Collins is that he can play the 5 and be the main screener, and that he would fit in here with Kleber/DFS better than he fits with Capela. Heck, even Wood makes a little more sense next to him, probably, only he's outgoing in your trade. 

The reason I'm still higher on Wood's potential than I am on the idea of resurrecting Collins is that I still think Wood can not only be a full-time center, but a very GOOD one. I think Collins' offense is enhanced greatly by playing him there, but I'm honestly not sure he's up to it on the defensive end. I could be totally wrong about that, but the main takeaway for me here is that you want to play him exactly how Atlanta has tried to play him these past couple of years and decided he's not good enough.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Okstate819 - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I keep bringing this up, and people keep ignoring it, so maybe I'm crazy. 

BUT, to me, this is simply taking the Hawks' problems and making them the Mavs' problems. That big tandem isn't working with Trae Young, who, while not remotely as good as Luka, is a similar heliocentric pnr ball-handler, right? 

I think the reason Collins is so available is that ATL has determined he's not suited to be the type of 4 who can complement Young/Capela. I could be wrong, of course, but I personally don't have interest in them both

I think the charm of Collins is that he can play the 5 and be the main screener, and that he would fit in here with Kleber/DFS better than he fits with Capela. Heck, even Wood makes a little more sense next to him, probably, only he's outgoing in your trade. 

The reason I'm still higher on Wood's potential than I am on the idea of resurrecting Collins is that I still think Wood can not only be a full-time center, but a very GOOD one. I think Collins' offense is enhanced greatly by playing him there, but I'm honestly not sure he's up to it on the defensive end. I could be totally wrong about that, but the main takeaway for me here is that you want to play him exactly how Atlanta has tried to play him these past couple of years and decided he's not good enough.

Yea certainly understand this and agree. I think your very likely closing (and possibly starting) with Collins/Maxi in this hypothetical but the idea would be viewing Capela as a more usable piece than Bertans over the next 2 seasons. Capela could be what you thought Mcgee could be but just as a very expensive version. Still, he would have his role against certain teams where as Bertans is literally unplayable in a playoff situation IMO.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - DallasMaverick - 12-29-2022

(12-28-2022, 04:31 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Get the gears turning up there fellas and imagine the potential of having an absolute freak complete offensive player to help Luka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYejfYxT4s

Right!

If we could just add Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker to Dirk and Raef LaFrenz, we'd be unstoppable!

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - IamDougieFresh - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:33 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Right!

If we could just add Antawn Jamison and Antoine Walker to Dirk and Raef LaFrenz, we'd be unstoppable!

Genius comparison!!!

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - DallasMaverick - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:43 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Genius comparison!!!

Thanks.

I try to stay humble.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - IamDougieFresh - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:48 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Thanks.

I try to stay humble.

I mean it’s truly incredible how you came up with a perfect comparison like that! Great job!

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - mvossman - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:14 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: I know the Collins stuff has been talked about over and over, but when looking through each team's cap sheet ATL is by far the most motivated team to make a deal before the deadline IMO. With Deandre Hunter's extension starting next year, Dejounte Murray likely signing a 30+ mill deal and Okongwu probably getting a 15-18 mill deal the following year it looks like to me the notoriously cheap Hawks would need to offload two of Collins, Bogi, and Capela and possibly all 3. What would we think about including draft assets or Hardy to acquire multiple of these guys. Hypothetically.....

DAL receives - Collins, Capela, Bogi
ATL receives - Wood, Powell, Bullock, Bertans, Hardy? 2027 1st?

PG - Luka
SG - Bogi
SF - DFS
PF - Collins
C - Capela

6th -Dinwiddie
B - Kleber
B - Green
B - THJ

I could see the appeal to using draft assets for multiple rotation pieces. This team would be one of the deepest in the league and pretty versatile at Guard, Forward and Big. I think just giving ATL the cap relief wouldn't be enough but including an unprotected pick might get it done. Even with Bertans in this deal they would save approx. 40+ million against next years cap.

Of course with anything like this we can assume Mark wont add significant salary but if we could find a way to offload Mcgee our payroll next season would be just slightly higher than if we didn't do this deal and assume Wood signs and extension.

Just food for thought on whether the draft assets or tradeable pieces HAVE to be used for a 2nd star or if acquiring multiple playoff rotation level players would be a reasonable route.

You are sending out that first (and possibly Hardy) just to get off the Bertans contract.  If their goal is to shed cap, no reason they would have any interest in Bertans.

You could trade Wood/Powell/Bullock for any 2 of those 3, but if I am getting Collins, I think I want him as a 5.  His offensive game started shrinking when Capela arrived, and I don't want to recreate that here.  I'm struggling to see something that makes sense for the Mavs there.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - burekemde - 12-29-2022

The lineup that would win the title this season:

Luka
SD
DFS
Collins
Wood

Collins can as Wood and SD, penetrate attack and finish around the rim. Which takes away any doubling of Luka. They can all shoot as well. Luka would have 3 players around the him to act as the outlets in case of passing, and it would prove deadly inefficient for opponents to double Luka. We see already now with Wood and SD how they lower this efficiency, and this is because they can both shoot but also attack the rim with space. On offense, it adds also more pick and roll options, which Luka loves. On defense, it adds mobility, and ability to play more positions, which Kidds loves. This would be the best lineup in the NBA, and would be one that compliments Lukas skills the most, given the options available.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Chicagojk - 12-29-2022

My expectations are small for a trade, but we will see.  If this team wants to be competitive in the playoffs they need another big man.   A big wing would be ideal.   He is not a wing, but I wonder if Noel gets bought out?   For a big wing, a Jeff Green type player is the guy I am looking at.  Rudy Gay may be a name.  I am just not sure he can defend.   If Maxi is out for the rest of the year, then you certainly cannot hope he comes back for the playoffs.  Therefore, we need to look for a short term solution.  With our limited assets, I think it is best to focus on older vets who don't fit with their current teams.  Guys who will be available for very little...or bought out candidates.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - HoosierDaddyKid - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 12:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: Don't have ESPN+.  What's it say about Mavs?

You can read this article.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - F Gump - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:55 PM)mvossman Wrote: ..... if I am getting Collins, I think I want him as a 5.  His offensive game started shrinking when Capela arrived, and .....

Be careful. Capela's arrival (and whatever changes that created) was also when ATL started to win. A role that features Collins' being used to get him better numbers may come at the expense of winning.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - mvossman - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 04:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: Be careful. Capela's arrival (and whatever changes that created) was also when ATL started to win. A role that features Collins' being used to get him better numbers may come at the expense of winning.

They made a lot of changes.  Capela is a good player, so adding him is going to make the team better.  They also added Bogdan and Gallinari, and Hunter and Heuter took big steps forward.  I'm not saying Capela is not good, but Collins impact was lessoned by his addition.

(12-29-2022, 04:13 PM)burekemde Wrote: The lineup that would win the title this season:

Luka
SD
DFS
Collins
Wood

Collins can as Wood and SD, penetrate attack and finish around the rim. Which takes away any doubling of Luka. They can all shoot as well. Luka would have 3 players around the him to act as the outlets in case of passing, and it would prove deadly inefficient for opponents to double Luka. We see already now with Wood and SD how they lower this efficiency, and this is because they can both shoot but also attack the rim with space. On offense, it adds also more pick and roll options, which Luka loves. On defense, it adds mobility, and ability to play more positions, which Kidds loves. This would be the best lineup in the NBA, and would be one that compliments Lukas skills the most, given the options available.

I think it would make more sense to put Green in that starting lineup and bring Dinwiddie off the bench, and even then I'm not sure its a top 10 defense.  I assume we are sending out Powell and Bullock to make this happen?  I don't think its contention worthy, but it would be interesting.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Jason Terry - 12-29-2022

We have limited assets. We should save them for the right player. I think the best route is cheaping out on the big man rotation. Extend Wood for 2-3 years at his reasonable number. Maxi is on a cheap contract. The trick is to convince Powell to re-sign for the minimum. Make it up to him in a future season like we’ve done with past organizational soldiers 

The plan should still be to keep it all for a SGA/Siakam type deal this summer or next season. In the meantime we need more smart building around the edges moves. i.e. bad contract swaps, under the radar pickups. Plus develop Green and Hardy

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Reunion Mav - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not sure this completely explains the phenomenon, but I know it's part of the answer:

The Luka/Powell pnr game is GREAT. Not good, GREAT. Transcendent, even, and that's true even after Powell's awful injury. 

The #1 goal for any team playing Dallas is to take that away, which is why we see nothing but switching all the time, even from teams who aren't set up to play that way (like Utah in the playoffs, for example). 

Because the Mavs can go into games knowing that teams will go to drastic measures to keep Powell from rim-running, there's a measure of planning their reaction that's more possible than it might be for other teams. Now, it would be helpful (and less boring) if Powell offered an alternative ways to play offense that could exploit this situation more, for sure (this is why I was so excited about Wood being his replacement, and not McGee). 

The bottom line is that when Powell is on the floor, that pnr game must be respected and has an impact on the game even when we don't get to see them run it.

This makes a lot of sense. Good observations. It is just to bad that Powell can’t keep running thru to the three point line and actually be a threat.

(12-29-2022, 10:35 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: It is just to bad that Powell can’t keep running thru to the three point line and actually be a threat.

Yep, he hasn’t really got anything else on offense. No post game, no face up game in the high Post, no three-point catch and shoot game, nothing.

But Wood has ALL of that!