MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - mvossman - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 12:20 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: We have a serious talent deficit. Its very likely you cant get to a title contender in one move. If you have the opportunity to acquire legitimate young talent for bench filler role players you've got to do it.

As for the fit, offensively i think we underestimate how dynamic it would be to have two big men with interchangeable skillsets. I think its critical for us to get away from "role" players and start emphasizing multi faceted players. What makes life so difficult on Luka is not the ball dominance but rather the over abundance of one dimensional players. Other teams would have to match up with Cwood/Collins and not many would be capable.

Defense would be more of a challenge. IMO you rely on your coaching staff. Were watching a bit of development with Cwood as they are trying to "coach" him how to play defense in the Powell role. Collins would need to play more of the Maxi role here and I do believe he has the athleticism to do it. 

Next year you have a big rotation of Cwood, Collins, Maxi. Pretty versatile and as Kamm pointed out you always have one of Cwood/Collins on the floor.

I don't disagree with this teams lack of talent, but I would argue from a long term perspective what we really need is to clean up the asset situation so we can more effectively acquire talent.

Based on that report Collins is basically free and as Dan pointed out Wood has never been valued as an asset.  Is Cuban really going to want to spend over 100 million in tax for two players that have questionable fit and little to no asset value?  I question if that is the route to take.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - F Gump - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 12:10 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Today’s 77 Heaven Podcast (I got halfway through it driving to the office) takes a dim view of Wood being a viable starting center in the playoffs.  One of the panelists said something like “you just can’t do it” as it stands no chance of working.   

Two questions:  Is there a playoff team that Wood would start for?  Other than maybe Charlotte, is there a cap room team this summer that would pay more than the MLE for Wood?

I don't think anyone has a clue yet whether Wood is capable of "being a viable starting center in the playoffs" so I'm dismissive of anyone who assumptively says "he can't" or who says "he can."

But I'm not convinced we have to wait to the playoffs and see, to have a good handle on that question. The schedule from now to the TDL is heavily populated by likely playoff teams with challenging front-court players. BOS, NO (2), LAC (3), UTAH? (2), MIA, PHX, GS, ATL. We should have a good preliminary answer by TDL.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - Nowitzki Way - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 11:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Even if it means no to re-signing Wood for sure? 

Let me make the counter argument: if that's the case (I bet it is), then you might as well include Wood in the deal, tbh. Their games overlap almost completely, and Powell might be re-signable this summer at a significantly lowered cost. 

I just don't see Cuban taking on that Collins contract AND re-signing Wood.

In that case i'd rather keep Wood. My goal would be to have BOTH. And i agree, i dont see Cuban keeping both salaries.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - Okstate819 - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 12:29 PM)F Gump Wrote: I hope you mean they need more two-way players who can make 3's at a high rate. Players who are multi-dimensional but it's all offense, or all defense, are not really the answer.

They have too many one-way players. They need to gradually move away from those.

I'm hoping Wood can add some defense and fit the need (but not sure he's there). I don't know about Collins, but no interest if he's not a proven answer on BOTH ends of the floor.

No not really. They don't need more guys who play above average defense, shoot standstill 3s but cant dribble/create. We have those guys already (Kleber, DFS, Bullock).

Having no interest in anyone who isn't a proven answer on both ends of the floor basically means theirs about 5 guys in the league you'd want. IMO you have to have a vision for certain players talent and believe in your coaching staff to develop them.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - mvossman - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 02:12 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: No not really. They don't need more guys who play above average defense, shoot standstill 3s but cant dribble/create. We have those guys already (Kleber, DFS, Bullock).

Having no interest in anyone who isn't a proven answer on both ends of the floor basically means theirs about 5 guys in the league you'd want. IMO you have to have a vision for certain players talent and believe in your coaching staff to develop them.

I would argue that we don't need more offensive only guys that can't play defense.  The issue on this roster is not that there are too many 3&D guys, the issue is that the entire roster is made up of one way guys.

I think you are asking a whole lot from a coaching staff to "coach up" guys that have not demonstrated the ability to play high level defense.  The only reason folks are somewhat hopeful regarding Wood is because he has never been on a team that was actually trying to win, and that hope is pinned more on his motivation than the coaching staff.

The suggestion that there are only 5 guys in the league that can play both sides is obviously a wild exaggeration.  Those guys are obviously harder to acquire, but that needs to be the primary goal.  This team is top 10 on offense and middling on defense and that is where it was at last year after the trade.  I don't think adding offense only players is going to fix things.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - Okstate819 - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 03:16 PM)mvossman Wrote: I would argue that we don't need more offensive only guys that can't play defense.  The issue on this roster is not that there are too many 3&D guys, the issue is that the entire roster is made up of one way guys.

I think you are asking a whole lot from a coaching staff to "coach up" guys that have not demonstrated the ability to play high level defense.  The only reason folks are somewhat hopeful regarding Wood is because he has never been on a team that was actually trying to win, and that hope is pinned more on his motivation than the coaching staff.

The suggestion that there are only 5 guys in the league that can play both sides is obviously a wild exaggeration.  Those guys are obviously harder to acquire, but that needs to be the primary goal.  This team is top 10 on offense and middling on defense and that is where it was at last year after the trade.  I don't think adding offense only players is going to fix things.

I just fundamentally disagree that we are at a point where we can prioritize what we supposedly "need" in the current structure and the current system. To me our #1 issue is a lack of high level talent. The style of play and system, both offensively and defensively is very likely not what it will be when this team is at a championship level. 

I would argue that with Luka you shouldn't be a top 10 offense. You should be the #1 offense in the league every year. Period. He creates so many easy opportunities its ridiculous. Provide him with a lineup of guys who can take advantage and our efficiency would be though the roof. The fact that we are #8 in offensive rating shows how severely limited the supporting cast is.

Our ceiling as a team is with the #1 offense (one of the best ever) and a top 10 defense. Making proper rotations and playing defense within a system are learnable skills. Teaching guys like DFS, Maxi, Bullock, Kleber to be more than standstill shooters offensively is impossible.

EDIT - Also, the assumption by some with Luka is that he creates all these open 3s so we should just get a bunch of 3 and D guys and shoot 100 3s a game. IMO, the truth is Luka creates all kinds of problem for the defense, not just open shooters. Our reliance on the 3 is because thats all the rest of the roster can do. Its the best way possible for this team to win games. Its not the best way for a future championship level Luka Doncic led Mavs team

(12-27-2022, 03:53 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: I just fundamentally disagree that we are at a point where we can prioritize what we supposedly "need" in the current structure and the current system. To me our #1 issue is a lack of high level talent. The style of play and system, both offensively and defensively is very likely not what it will be when this team is at a championship level. 

I would argue that with Luka you shouldn't be a top 10 offense. You should be the #1 offense in the league every year. Period. He creates so many easy opportunities its ridiculous. Provide him with a lineup of guys who can take advantage and our efficiency would be though the roof. The fact that we are #8 in offensive rating shows how severely limited the supporting cast is.

Our ceiling as a team is with the #1 offense (one of the best ever) and a top 10 defense. Making proper rotations and playing defense within a system are learnable skills. Teaching guys like DFS, Maxi, Bullock, Kleber to be more than standstill shooters offensively is impossible.

EDIT - Also, the assumption by some with Luka is that he creates all these open 3s so we should just get a bunch of 3 and D guys and shoot 100 3s a game. IMO, the truth is Luka creates all kinds of problem for the defense, not just open shooters. Our reliance on the 3 is because thats all the rest of the roster can do. Its the best way possible for this team to win games. Its not the best way for a future championship level Luka Doncic led Mavs team

I feel like you are using the concepts of talent and assets interchangeably when they are not.  My response was to your claim of needing to add talent (specifically offensive talent) but your first paragraph sounds more like you are talking about assets.  I don't disagree that adding assets makes sense in general, but as I mentioned in another thread, the Hawks are struggling to give Collins away and Wood has never been viewed as a significant asset.  You are talking about Cuban spending an insane tax bill for guys that are not significant assets.

Your goal is the number 1 offense, but we accomplished that a couple of seasons ago with Luka and 4 offensively limited players in the starting lineup (and an offensively limited bench).  I agree with your skepticism that we can significantly change an NBA players offensive skillset.  I am just as skeptical you can throw 4 defensively challenged players into a starting lineup and get a top 10 defense with scheme and "coaching".

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - ItsGoTime - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 12:47 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't think anyone has a clue yet whether Wood is capable of "being a viable starting center in the playoffs" so I'm dismissive of anyone who assumptively says "he can't" or who says "he can."
Fully agree with this.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - Kammrath - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 03:53 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: I just fundamentally disagree that we are at a point where we can prioritize what we supposedly "need" in the current structure and the current system. To me our #1 issue is a lack of high level talent. The style of play and system, both offensively and defensively is very likely not what it will be when this team is at a championship level. 

PREACH.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - IamDougieFresh - 12-27-2022

https://twitter.com/627zach/status/1607909279180144645?s=46&t=_ylCMs5dhlvQ0NxzBGGRWQ

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - KillerLeft - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 08:33 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/627zach/status/1607909279180144645?s=46&t=_ylCMs5dhlvQ0NxzBGGRWQ

I’m here for this. Hope he’s not damaged goods, but the talent and play style is EXACTLY what’s needed.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - IamDougieFresh - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 08:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m here for this. Hope he’s not damaged goods, but the talent and play style is EXACTLY what’s needed.

I am 100% confident that Luka + Zach is the foundation of a championship.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - sterlingmallory - 12-27-2022

(12-27-2022, 09:13 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I am 100% confident that Luka + Zach is the foundation of a championship.

The issue is defense. You'd need 3 other defenders in the game with them at all times to cover for them. Lavine is a terrible defender.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - cow - 12-28-2022

https://twitter.com/big_business_/status/1607962857781530629

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? - IamDougieFresh - 12-28-2022

(12-27-2022, 09:29 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The issue is defense. You'd need 3 other defenders in the game with them at all times to cover for them. Lavine is a terrible defender.

https://twitter.com/stephnoh/status/1606722130187542528?s=46&t=bHX15mqljYbixkBo5bep-Q

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Dundalis - 12-28-2022

If the issue with Wood being a starter for the Mavs in the playoffs is defense related, maybe watch our last game.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Branduil - 12-28-2022

If the Mavs can survive Dinwiddie and THJ in the starting lineup they can certainly survive Lavine.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - sterlingmallory - 12-28-2022

(12-28-2022, 02:21 AM)Branduil Wrote: If the Mavs can survive Dinwiddie and THJ in the starting lineup they can certainly survive Lavine.

I don't want to just survive. I want to build a championship level team.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - SleepingHero - 12-28-2022

Give me Lavine and Vucevic and lets go for a run in the playoffs.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interested in Nerlens? Collins? Bojan? LaVine? - Chicagojk - 12-28-2022

I haven't seen much of Lavine, but just on initial thoughts this type of move scares me to death.   I don't think we have the assets for a move like this now, so I don't really think it is likely something that happens.