MavsBoard
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap (/showthread.php?tid=2150)

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Hypermav - 09-19-2022

BSPN trade machine says DP for Jae works.  Also says +6 wins for PHX and -5 wins for the Mavs.  Huh?? 
I doubt PHX would even consider that trade.  Probably want RB.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - F Gump - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 03:19 PM)Hypermav Wrote: BSPN trade machine says DP for Jae works.  Also says +6 wins for PHX and -5 wins for the Mavs.  Huh?? 

I doubt PHX would even consider that trade.  Probably want RB.

Hollinger's numbers in the Trade Machine love Powell, who has a high PER and plays a lot of minutes. As a result, it always gives wildly weird evaluations for Powell trades.

As far as trading for Crowder, he's not as good (or valuable) as you (and others here) seem to think from afar. His shooting is incredibly blah (he's closer to Brick-and-D than 3-and-D) and he's nothing more than average-to-mediocre overall. He has a career average 12.7 PER (when league average player is 15), and he's been even worse than that in PHX. He's pretty much just a try-hard guy, kinda like Powell in that regard.

He would probably be a good fit as a backup, rotating behind DFS and Bullock. But OTOH, he has no upside, and Green has a chance to be as useful, but with more future -- that's relevant because Crowder would keep Green from getting minutes.

One more issue - the Suns would probably be looking to include him a trade that brings them an upgrade in some way, and Powell isn't likely to be their answer.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Hypermav - 09-19-2022

So Powell controls not only Cuban's mind but also Hollinger's trade machine.  He truly is a Sith.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - IamDougieFresh - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 06:06 PM)Hypermav Wrote: So Powell controls not only Cuban's mind but also Hollinger's trade machine.  He truly is a Sith.

If Dwight was in Star Wars he would be Jar-Jar. There is a Jar-Jar Sith theory…

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - ItsGoTime - 09-19-2022

I do like Jae as a backup to DFS. I think if we were to get him there would be a case to be made to have less Maxi/Wood taking up PF minutes too ( not all of them mind you, but closer to what KL has in mind for the rotation). I think that would be even more the case from the second round through the rest of the playoffs (much less McGee as the playoffs shed the behemoths of the league).

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - mvossman - 09-19-2022

(09-17-2022, 12:55 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Luka already banged up. DFS + Kleber locked in. Cap rising to 134. Lack of a young star and assets.

Westbrook for Dinwiddie + THJ + Bertans + 1st round pick is still our best option to a quick 12 months tank + real contender rebuild.

1. You get a top 10 pick in the best draft in ages.
2. You get rid of all the dead wood from the previous administration in 12 months (Powell, Dinwiddie, Bertans, THJ).
3. You get 54M in capspace to shape the team to your liking in the free agent market.
4. You gain an additional 1st round pick to use in a trade.
5. You can develop your own pick Hardy.

That´s honestly what a NEW GM would/should do to quickly mold a team to his own liking and take full ownership of failure and success. Or go and hide behind the crap of the previous administration by carrying their poopbucket around.

I find it extremely unlikely that a new GM would seriously consider trying to tank with a healthy Luka Doncic or stripping the team down to the studs, all for a single pick and a bunch of powder.  Luka just made the WCF.  How do you sell that to him?  Are we going to ask him to take a year off?  Otherwise there is no way to get a top 10 pick.  Has any GM ever done something like this?  

If Luka actually had a significant injury that would keep him out most or all of the season, then you can start talking about doing something like this.  Otherwise I don't see any way you sell a tanking solution to your superstar.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Jmaciscool - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 06:32 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: If Dwight was in Star Wars he would be Jar-Jar. There is a Jar-Jar Sith theory…

It's no coincidence that if you replace the "P" with a "V", change the "o" to an "a", and then swap "well" with "der" then "Powell" becomes "Vader"

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - ItsGoTime - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 08:03 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: It's no coincidence that if you replace the "P" with a "V", change the "o" to an "a", and then swap "well" with "der" then "Powell" becomes "Vader"
It was right there under our noses the WHOLE time. DiVinci Code stuff right there! Next, Powell is gonna steal the Declaration of Independence after he steals diapers from a convenience store and visits Alcatraz!

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - KillerLeft - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 08:03 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: It's no coincidence that if you replace the "P" with a "V", change the "o" to an "a", and then swap "well" with "der" then "Powell" becomes "Vader"

[Image: star-wars-no.gif]

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Mavs2021 - 09-20-2022

(09-19-2022, 08:02 PM)mvossman Wrote: I find it extremely unlikely that a new GM would seriously consider trying to tank with a healthy Luka Doncic or stripping the team down to the studs, all for a single pick and a bunch of powder.  Luka just made the WCF.  How do you sell that to him?  Are we going to ask him to take a year off?  Otherwise there is no way to get a top 10 pick.  Has any GM ever done something like this?  

You mean like win three NBA championhips, exaggerate injuries to key players to miss the play-offs for two years, get multiple lottery picks, acquire another young star and then come back to win another championship. I don´t think that has happened ever. Certainly not in recent history.

[Image: skysports-stephen-curry-golden-state-war...807148.jpg]

Luka is as good as we think he is, though his tendency to James Harden every off-season is worrisome. The rest of the team is not nearly as good, especially the hype around Dinwiddie´s hot streak. To rely on that to continue is a bubble (pun intended) like Burke.

It´s all about that 2nd guy and 3rd guy. A top 10 pick in the deepest draft in ages, gives you either a great pick or a great trade asset, so is the potential Lakers pick and you get cap space. That´s your way to build a potential dynasty in 12 months.

You guys might not like this, but right now we have nothing to do a SGA trade. We have no young players like Markkanen or Sexton or Agbaji (not even one of them) and we have no five first round picks. So I don´t know how people here believe we can acquire a player like him. And that asset-less state ultimately leads back to capspace, which we don´t have either. So basically right now we have nothing.

The best we can hope for is to trade something like Kleber/Bullock+1st for John Collins, but is that pushing us toward a title by itself?

A nine months Westbrook tank could lead to young assets (Bamba, White, Lakers 1st round pick, our own top 10 pick, accelerated development of Hardy/Green) and if you seek to do it up to 60M in capspace. It´s a flexible strategy.

But the good or bad news is that won´t happen anyway, and we´ll get to see your way, of gradually improving.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Mapka - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 01:11 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You mean like win three NBA championhips, exaggerate injuries to key players to miss the play-offs for two years, get multiple lottery picks, acquire another young star and then come back to win another championship. I don´t think that has happened ever. Certainly not in recent history.

Luka is as good as we think he is, though his tendency to James Harden every off-season is worrisome. The rest of the team is not nearly as good, especially the hype around Dinwiddie´s hot streak. To rely on that to continue is a bubble (pun intended) like Burke.

It´s all about that 2nd guy and 3rd guy. A top 10 pick in the deepest draft in ages, gives you either a great pick or a great trade asset, so is the potential Lakers pick and you get cap space. That´s your way to build a potential dynasty in 12 months.

You guys might not like this, but right now we have nothing to do a SGA trade. We have no young players like Markkanen or Sexton or Agbaji (not even one of them) and we have no five first round picks. So I don´t know how people here believe we can acquire a player like him. And that asset-less state ultimately leads back to capspace, which we don´t have either. So basically right now we have nothing.

The best we can hope for is to trade something like Kleber/Bullock+1st for John Collins, but is that pushing us toward a title by itself?

A nine months Westbrook tank could lead to young assets (Bamba, White, Lakers 1st round pick, our own top 10 pick, accelerated development of Hardy/Green) and if you seek to do it up to 60M in capspace. It´s a flexible strategy.

But the good or bad news is that won´t happen anyway, and we´ll get to see your way, of gradually improving.

Really? You take the Warriors as a proof, that sell-off and tanking is a winning way in the NBA?

They did always the opposite of what you are praising.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - mvossman - 09-20-2022

(09-20-2022, 01:11 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: You mean like win three NBA championhips, exaggerate injuries to key players to miss the play-offs for two years, get multiple lottery picks, acquire another young star and then come back to win another championship. I don´t think that has happened ever. Certainly not in recent history.

Right.  Curry faked two hand surgeries and Klay faked an ACL injury.  Curry was scheduled to come back in March when the season was stopped for Covid.  He could have played in the bubble but they were not invited.  If it was a normal season, they might have shut him down instead of bringing him out for the last month, but you do realize how different that is than telling a 23 year old Luka to not play for an entire season when healthy, right?

Next offseason we will be able to trade 4 first and 3 swaps.  That was enough to land Jrue without any young players and more than enough to land Murray.  I don't know if it will be enough to get SGA, but I think it will be in the ballpark.

That Mitchell trade was basically 4 firsts, two swaps and Sexton and Laurie.  Those two are getting paid and I doubt anyone is giving up a first for either.  They both were unwanted by their original team and had very little interest in the restricted market (until the Cavs bailed out Chicago with Lauri).  I don't see either as particularly valuable to a team that is going to tank for a year or two and my guess is Ainge will get what he can for them by next offseason.

I have no idea why we would wish for a Maxi + Bullock + first for Collins trade?  We just traded a much smaller package for Wood.  I'm not sure there is a significant difference between the two.  We are about to find out.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Chicagojk - 09-22-2022

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1572941221215219715?s=20&t=V24vp_F3VIybk21PIiHhbw

It will be Interesting to see what else is included…in assets.  If it is just salary it may tell us the market is not hot for Utah players and Utah really wants to be bad.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - Chicagojk - 09-22-2022

(09-22-2022, 08:34 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1572941221215219715?s=20&t=V24vp_F3VIybk21PIiHhbw

It will be Interesting to see what else is included…in assets.  If it is just salary it may tell us the market is not hot for Utah players and Utah really wants to be bad.

Well it is Kelly O and Saban Lee, a young athletic point guard who probably isn’t a longterm nba player.  I have to think the Mavs could have beaten that offer.  It probably would have take Green though.  Good or bad sign depending on your viewpoint.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - omahen - 09-22-2022

(09-22-2022, 08:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Well it is Kelly O and Saban Lee, a young athletic point guard who probably isn’t a longterm nba player.  I have to think the Mavs could have beaten that offer.  It probably would have take Green though.  Good or bad sign depending on your viewpoint.

I am really surprised Utah sold him this cheaply. Basically same total salary was exchanged (Olynik guaranteed 3 mil for next season). 

I don't think there is any room for Bogi on currently contructed version of Mavs team. Bogi is imho a bit better version of THJ, but no way Utah would be taking THJ contract without compensation.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - RoyTarpleysGhost - 09-22-2022

These thread titles get more and more hilarious as the off-season progresses.

Signing Brunson top priority 
Dragic to Dallas?
Gearing up to trade for a wing
Interest in Bogie

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - KillerLeft - 09-22-2022

I tried to tell everyone that Utah wasn't guaranteed firsts for those guys. The teams with all the firsts don't want to be good yet and have no need for good role players. 

That probably (but not definitely) means that Clarkson won't cost a first, either, since Bojan was supposed to have the most value of their fire sale guys.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - HoosierDaddyKid - 09-22-2022

Great deal for Detroit and they didn't give up much.  Lee was a numbers casualty as they have depth at PG.  Bogie is a one-year rental, which could be moved at the TDL if that's what they choose to do. Detroit needs more 3pt shooting so he fits there. Trading Olynyk opens the door for more PT for Duran, Bagley, and Noel.  Now they have to figure out what they're going to do with Kemba as he holds the last roster spot.  I think Weaver made another solid move.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - KillerLeft - 09-22-2022

(09-22-2022, 11:25 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Now they have to figure out what they're going to do with Kemba as he holds the last roster spot.

I didn't even think of that. So they're down to 15 contracts now? If so, I suppose it's possible they don't even buy him out.

RE: TRADE & FA: Mavs interest in Bojan? - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 09-22-2022

I agree, nice deal for Detroit. Good vet for their young guys and gives Cade and Ivey a shooter to kick out to. I liked Boji for us mainly because I’ve always liked him as a player, but his defensive numbers trailed off last season. And as others have said, really no minutes for him here.