MavsBoard
PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (4-2) vs #5 UTA (2-4) | - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (4-2) vs #5 UTA (2-4) | (/showthread.php?tid=1985)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL vs #5 UTA | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - cow - 04-16-2022

(04-16-2022, 07:22 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: As for putting all chips in, this team really has no great assets and lucked into Luka. At some point you would have to push all your chips to the center.  You can ask to wait and the danger there is Luka gets fed up and demands to get out. Then the complaint would be that the Mavs should have done something earlier. 

It is very very difficult to get a true legit stud foundational piece. I can’t fault any team for going all in to get that piece especially when they had a transcendent piece who was ready to win for the moment he arrived in the league.  I know it sucks that it didn’t work out but IMO a lot of front offices, including very good ones, would have done what the Mavs did at that point.

Not doing the trade would probably leave the roster in a really similar situation to where it is right now.  Luka is as easily to be fed up in either scenario.  Thankfully, I don't think that is the case.  

I thought KP was expensive at the time as we also had to eat some hefty contracts to go along with those picks.  We should have been looking to eat bad contracts to get more draft capital, be patient and be "bad" for Luka's first few seasons.  Look at the Grizzlies, Suns, Atlanta, 76ers, Celtics, etc.  The only great move we've made after drafting Luka and Jalen was the Seth Curry contract.  Everything else has been tire spinning or a failure.

I don't know that I fault the MBT for the trade, I just think a better organization wouldn't have done it.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL vs #5 UTA | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-16-2022

(04-16-2022, 08:24 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Don’t get the Pelican love. They beat a team without it’s 2 best players. Wow.

Thing is,  the Clippers had enough to beat the Pels without them and they didn't with that deep bench.  Pels started the season 2-11 and 3-19 and still made the playoffs. That's why they've got love. Willie Green can coach and now he goes up against one of his mentors in Monty Williams.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - Kammrath - 04-16-2022

Game 1 (over)reactions...

• Maxi's minutes were the difference in the game. In 24 mins he was -13 (his minutes were the reason that DFS and RB were -12 and -13 respectively). Kidd needs a shorter leash with him. I personally wouldn't play him more than 15 mins except in an emergency. 
  • DP was +9 and deserves to play more. Even without Luka he is still a much better option than Maxi. He played 22 mins, I would aim for 30 if possible.
  • JB had 24 pts on 24 shots....oof. His lack of length on both ends is a big concern for me. But he managed to be only -5 despite it all. 
  • SD was better than JB, but his 0-4 from threes and 6 missed free throws were painful. He needs to be better and I trust he will.
  • JG struggled, but deserves more chances IMO.
  • DB deserves minutes over Maxi IMO. He ends up a positive way too often in almost all scenarios. Need to trust him with more minutes. 
  • The season hinges on the next game. Win it and the Mavs have a real chance in this series IMO. Lose it and all is basically lost, including any psychological confidence. 

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - Mavs2021 - 04-16-2022

It's hard enough to win in the NBA playoffs with a lone star when he's healthy. -- Tim MacMahon

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - Jommybone - 04-17-2022

(04-16-2022, 10:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Game 1 (over)reactions...

• Maxi's minutes were the difference in the game. In 24 mins he was -13 (his minutes were the reason that DFS and RB were -12 and -13 respectively). Kidd needs a shorter leash with him. I personally wouldn't play him more than 15 mins except in an emergency. 
  • DP was +9 and deserves to play more. Even without Luka he is still a much better option than Maxi. He played 22 mins, I would aim for 30 if possible.
  • JB had 24 pts on 24 shots....oof. His lack of length on both ends is a big concern for me. But he managed to be only -5 despite it all. 
  • SD was better than JB, but his 0-4 from threes and 6 missed free throws were painful. He needs to be better and I trust he will.
  • JG struggled, but deserves more chances IMO.
  • DB deserves minutes over Maxi IMO. He ends up a positive way too often in almost all scenarios. Need to trust him with more minutes. 
  • The season hinges on the next game. Win it and the Mavs have a real chance in this series IMO. Lose it and all is basically lost, including any psychological confidence. 

Why did the coaching staff sit Dwight and Davis in favor of Maxi for the final 6 minutes? Because they saw things differently than you do. Maxi comes in with 6:11 on the clock and the team down 10. In the ensuing 4 minutes, Maxi scores 7 points and the Mavs pull within 1 point of the Jazz with 2:12 to go. From there, the Mavs go cold, while the Jazz get a lucky end-of-clock 3 from O’Neale and then hit their free throws. 

I understand your disappointment in the dude’s long ball. But you are misoverreacting when it comes to Kleber. If one of his errant 3s banks in rather than Mitchell’s, Mavs win this game.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - Kammrath - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 11:44 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Why did the coaching staff sit Dwight and Davis in favor of Maxi for the final 6 minutes? Because they saw things differently than you do. Maxi comes in with 6:11 on the clock and the team down 10. In the ensuing 4 minutes, Maxi scores 7 points and the Mavs pull within 1 point of the Jazz with 2:12 to go. From there, the Mavs go cold, while the Jazz get a lucky end-of-clock 3 from O’Neale and then hit their free throws. 

I understand your disappointment in the dude’s long ball. But you are misoverreacting when it comes to Kleber. If one of his errant 3s banks in rather than Mitchell’s, Mavs win this game.

Of course they saw it differently than me. But they are not infallible. I could of course be dead wrong, but having watched Maxi and DP (and DB for that matter) all season, I think DP is the better big option by far at this point. I am not just disappointed in Maxi's three ball, but his play overall. And Maxi has NEVER been a good playoff performer IMO. 

Just my opinion, I didn't know we weren't allowed to question coaching decisions anymore. Tongue

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - SleepingHero - 04-17-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1515736994621579266?s=20&t=vvm8DrXP5xAkHgHwX34nqQ

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - cow - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 12:22 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Of course they saw it differently than me. But they are not infallible. I could of course be dead wrong, but having watched Maxi and DP (and DB for that matter) all season, I think DP is the better big option by far at this point. I am not just disappointed in Maxi's three ball, but his play overall. And Maxi has NEVER been a good playoff performer IMO. 

Just my opinion, I didn't know we weren't allowed to question coaching decisions anymore. Tongue

I never thought in a million years I'd prefer to give DP another contract over Maxi, but here we are.  I do think Maxi's defense can still be a positive but it is crazy how far his offense has regressed.  Being paper thin at the position certainly doesn't help.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - ItsGoTime - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 01:53 PM)cow Wrote: I never thought in a million years I'd prefer to give DP another contract over Maxi, but here we are.  I do think Maxi's defense can still be a positive but it is crazy how far his offense has regressed.  Being paper thin at the position certainly doesn't help.
I think Maxi has been overused throughout the season and his back just can’t handle the load for that long. Need to go back and figure out how many minutes he had total before he went into this slump and play him a playoff load-less amount of minutes during the regular season. Then come playoff time, he’s good to go. I’d imagine that makes him a really good 3rd 4/5.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - SleepingHero - 04-17-2022

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1515761914562895882

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1515737566712156169

https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/1515735431417155596

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 02:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1515761914562895882

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1515737566712156169

https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/status/1515735431417155596

I mean why even mention the L2M report when it's all academic? The call won't be changed, lol.

(04-17-2022, 02:21 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I mean why even mention the L2M report when it's all academic? The call won't be changed, lol.

Moral victories I suppose. I've moved on as I don't think that lone miscall decided the game. The Kleber miss 3 and then the O'Neal 3 was the clincher for me.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1515754617019064321

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka unlikely in Gm 2 - VintagePejav2 - 04-17-2022

Efficient offense happens through Bogdanovic and Conley for the Jazz. Those are the guys I’m attacking on defense. Conley cannot really defend anymore without fouling. I want Mitchell taking 30 shots again.

I think the non-shooters’ (Green and Powell) minutes have to be limited next game. Utah didn’t even bother defending Green and his shots were nervous misses. Powell only grabbed 1 defensive rebound in 22 minutes. I expect even heavier doses of Maxi and Bertans in game 2. Maybe Frank N. grabs Green’s minutes.

Ideally the Mavs find a way to steal one of these next 2 games and Luka comes back for game 4. If it’s 3-0 though, and Luka’s status is truly questionable, I wouldn’t risk it.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - VintagePejav2 - 04-17-2022

(04-16-2022, 07:34 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I really like Josh Green.  He seems like a great dude, great teammate and plays with a ton of energy. 

That can be true and it can also be true that drafting Josh (and that entire draft) was a colossal failure.  Bane didn’t have his best shooting game but he did pitch in 17 points.  Don’t even want to look at Maxey’s line anymore.  

FO blew a huge chance to add real talent.  I still contend based on what they did they had the ammo to come away with Maxey/Bey AND Bane.  I don’t love Bey’s game so not as chapped about him.  Those other two would be absolute gamechangers on this roster.

It’s a huge fuck up. The other 2 picks were awful too.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka out Gm 1, maybe 2 or more - HoosierDaddyKid - 04-17-2022

(04-16-2022, 07:34 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I really like Josh Green.  He seems like a great dude, great teammate and plays with a ton of energy. 

That can be true and it can also be true that drafting Josh (and that entire draft) was a colossal failure.  Bane didn’t have his best shooting game but he did pitch in 17 points.  Don’t even want to look at Maxey’s line anymore.  

FO blew a huge chance to add real talent.  I still contend based on what they did they had the ammo to come away with Maxey/Bey AND Bane.  I don’t love Bey’s game so not as chapped about him.  Those other two would be absolute gamechangers on this roster.

Bey's 51 pt explosion this year tells me otherwise. He has the perfect size and makeup for a 3 & D wing.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka unlikely in Gm 2 - cow - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 03:35 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I expect even heavier doses of Maxi and Bertans in game 2. 

I don't see more minutes for DB.  Utah were hunting matchups for JB and DB in the second half.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka unlikely in Gm 2 - VintagePejav2 - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 05:52 PM)cow Wrote: I don't see more minutes for DB.  Utah were hunting matchups for JB and DB in the second half.

They were hunting but Bertans did fine. He needs to shoot more if he’s out there. I expect 15-20 mins again.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka unlikely in Gm 2 - cow - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 06:48 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: They were hunting but Bertans did fine. He needs to shoot more if he’s out there. I expect 15-20 mins again.

He did in the first half when they weren't attacking him, not so much in the first half.  Offense isn't generating him quality looks so he's absolutely worthless out there as he's one of the worst defenders in the league.  I don't doubt your minutes prediction but I am really skeptical his +/- numbers are as favorable moving forward.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka unlikely in Gm 2 - Branduil - 04-17-2022

(04-17-2022, 05:21 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Bey's 51 pt explosion this year tells me otherwise. He has the perfect size and makeup for a 3 & D wing.
Bey is good but Bane is the real miss.

RE: PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (0-1) vs #5 UTA (1-0) | Luka unlikely in Gm 2 - ItsGoTime - 04-17-2022

I was wanting Stewart that draft.