MavsBoard
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green (/showthread.php?tid=1911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Winter - 10-12-2022

This is my obligatory Josh Green post.

Josh Green will not likely ever break anyone's starting lineup.

However, he may (now) be serviceable as 20-25 mpg player. If that's the case, it's good for everyone.

It doesn't mean he won't be traded or shouldn't be traded at the trade deadline for another player. It does mean he adds real depth now if what we read is true. But all of that is contingent on whether he starts to understand where to be on the court and how much improvement there is in his perimeter game.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - sterlingmallory - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Winter Wrote: This is my obligatory Josh Green post.

Josh Green will not likely ever break anyone's starting lineup.

However, he may (now) be serviceable as 20-25 mpg player. If that's the case, it's good for everyone.

It doesn't mean he won't be traded or shouldn't be traded at the trade deadline for another player. It does mean he adds real depth now if what we read is true. But all of that is contingent on whether he starts to understand where to be on the court and how much improvement there is in his perimeter game.

I think the move is to find out what THJ and Green can get you in a trade. Either at the deadline or next summer.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Winter - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 12:29 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: I think the move is to find out what THJ and Green can get you in a trade. Either at the deadline or next summer.

Agreed but that was the play this last summer as well. It just didn't happen.

Hopefully, they'll have more options at the trade deadline.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - cow - 10-12-2022

(10-12-2022, 01:04 PM)Winter Wrote: Agreed but that was the play this last summer as well. It just didn't happen.

Hopefully, they'll have more options at the trade deadline.

I think THJ looks a lot more attractive next offseason with only two years left on his deal.  He's good salary filler at that point and after the draft, we control all of our FRPs again (God willing).

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-20-2022

Josh Green Diary, Game 1:

Sux I was fouled on the fastbreak, so that's one less opportunity to get my average up. I missed a free throw, but everyone does that now, so it's no biggie. 
I made a cut to the basket and could have just scored myself, but the new aggressive me still wants to pass up the shot for more senior members of the team, you know, out of respect. 
And of course, one good example of my selflessness is the pass to THJ. He doesn't do anything but shoot, but going downhill with the ball, I just can't picture myself doing what Luka does, I need to have a free lane with absolutely no defenders in front for me to score.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - cow - 10-20-2022

I thought it would take him longer to kill all the preseason hype.  He was a ghost in the 1st quarter, played well in the 2nd and turned into a pumpkin after the half.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - KillerLeft - 10-20-2022

Green was instrumental during some of the stretch in which the huge lead was being built, to the point where I wanted to see him early in the third when Bullock was being cooked (and man, did he get cooked last night, yikes). 

But when Green did get that second half chance he was TERRIBLE. In my opinion, Kidd left him out there a bit too long during that stretch.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 10-20-2022

(10-20-2022, 08:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Green was instrumental during some of the stretch in which the huge lead was being built, to the point where I wanted to see him early in the third when Bullock was being cooked (and man, did he get cooked last night, yikes). 

But when Green did get that second half chance he was TERRIBLE. In my opinion, Kidd left him out there a bit too long during that stretch.

I agree.  He was very energetic in the second, but not good in the second half.   He just needs to find a way to be a threat on offense.  I don't expect him to get 20, but if he is playing 18-20 minutes a night he needs to find a way to get to 8 or so.   He certainly cannot play that amount of time and only have one shot where he is fouled on the break being his only shot.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - HoosierDaddyKid - 10-20-2022

Justin Anderson 2.0

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - SwisherPrice - 10-20-2022

There's really not much he can do out there, he is just fighting for any scraps on offense so no opportunities to develop any skills. The way they run their 5-out half court offense, he is playing the Bullock role where they want him to stand in the corner/on the weak side. If the offense doesn't flow (which it often doesn't) then he's not going to get many touches or opportunities to shoot. You saw how the offense stalled in the 2nd half with everyone so it's not just him - they don't run much motion. It's usually a 1 player (Luka) or 2-player action while the others spread the floor.

In an interview he did last season he said he knows he won't get many shots on this team. If he ends up forcing bad shots then he is going to end up on the bench so all he can do is just hustle and do the dirty work that they want him to do in order to stay in the rotation.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - hakeemfaan - 10-20-2022

I am done with him and I was one always in his corner. 

You can talk about schemes and other things but a person wanting to score finds ways to score.  There are too many nights where he is too passive on offense.   I am beginning to think it’s a mental thing with him like it is with Ben Simmons. However Ben was only scared to shoot. Josh doesn’t want to score at all. What he brings is not so great that we can get awy with a complete lack of intent on his part when it comes to scoring.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - cow - 10-20-2022

(10-20-2022, 10:47 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I am done with him and I was one always in his corner. 

You can talk about schemes and other things but a person wanting to score finds ways to score.  There are too many nights where he is too passive on offense.   I am beginning to think it’s a mental thing with him like it is with Ben Simmons. However Ben was only scared to shoot. Josh doesn’t want to score at all. What he brings is not so great that we can get awy with a complete lack of intent on his part when it comes to scoring.

I think he's a pumpkin but maybe returning to the scene of the crime wasn't the best place for him to start the season.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - hakeemfaan - 10-20-2022

(10-20-2022, 10:57 AM)cow Wrote: I think he's a pumpkin but maybe returning to the scene of the crime wasn't the best place for him to start the season.

Even in the Utah series though he really had a couple of good scoring moments but largely a viewer when it comes to offense. Something clearly off there. I like his defense and versatility but this team is too challenged offensively as it is to have someone who doesn’t even want to score.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - F Gump - 10-20-2022

(10-20-2022, 10:47 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I am done with him and I was one always in his corner. 

I was thinking the same sort of things about what I saw from Green.

It was very alarming to me to see one particular play - as the ball swung, he took a dive cut to the basket, and the ball zipped to him down the middle of the lane with no one between him and the basket. The closest defender was trailing him. It's a situation where 100 of 100 players continue for the layup or dunk.

Except, make that 99 of 100. Green opted to force a pass to the corner, to a player who was being defended. But to me, the worst part of that play was that he didn't even look at the basket - didn't even try to score - it was almost like he didn't want to score -- turning down a GREAT shot from point blank range for a hard pass to a player who isn't open. That's disturbing to me, and discouraging as to his potential as a player.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dirkfansince1998 - 10-20-2022

https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/1583123711049093120

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 10-20-2022

(10-20-2022, 01:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/1583123711049093120

That is not a good look.  He was pointed away from the basket but it looks like it was because he was looking to pass before he caught the ball.  He just needs to be more aggressive when his opportunity arises.

Plus, if I am a coach on another team I am always playing him to pass until he proves he can score.  If he can just be an average guy who can finish in the paint than that is where his passing becomes much more of a weapon.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 10-20-2022

Josh Green has a major insecurity with getting his shot blocked in my opinion.  Coupled with his own lack of confidence in his overall offensive game.  He hides it with passing.

Its my opinion because I was the same way my whole life playing bball.  I was awful dribbler, awful creator and could not play chess when driving to the lane and finish at the rim...I was not creative enough or could process the game quick enough to score when driving and I never wanted to get my shot blocked.   

In my opinion Green checks those boxes.

(10-20-2022, 01:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/1583123711049093120

I'm one of Josh Green's supporters. How could I not be? I wanted him at 18 behind only Jaden McDaniels.

But this play right here just makes people like me lose interest, and wouldn't mind seeing him go.

There's still time though, but if in 20 games we still see plays like this happening, he'd be the same JG through out the year and possibly his whole career (or what's left of it).

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 10-20-2022

(10-20-2022, 08:01 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'm one of Josh Green's supporters. How could I not be? I wanted him at 18 behind only Jaden McDaniels.

But this play right here just makes people like me lose interest, and wouldn't mind seeing him go.

There's still time though, but if in 20 games we still see plays like this happening, he'd be the same JG through out the year and possibly his whole career (or what's left of it).

Im a big fan of the energy he brings when he plays.  He looks better this year but it was only one game.  

I want to see him play with Luka, DFS, Wood with Dinwiddie or Maxi for extended minutes.  Or which ever lineup Mavs think is most potent with him in it and really see if he has improved his shot or ability to dribble/make plays.   His energy is noticeable on defense and he gets deflections and hustles down loose balls it seems regularly.  That stuff is huge in playoffs, imo.  Its hard to let him walk but I guess he needs to show next level defense to keep a job or show good defense with improved shooting.

Really dont want to see him go...just used right...if there is a way to use him correctly.

I hate to see him go too.

The energy he brings might not be sustainable, but he is a plus defender, has good vision, has decent handles, is quick and his vertical is something almost always lacking among Mavs guards. 

But he needs to score. Fans aren't asking him to score 12 a night, most would be happy with him shooting when he needs to. IMHO, the play where he passed it to Bullock was even worse than Ben Simmons'.

Hopefully someone from the coaching staff points this flaw and never makes this same mistake again.