MavsBoard
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green (/showthread.php?tid=1911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - MFFL - 11-23-2022

(11-22-2022, 01:15 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Time to put him in the starting lineup for 28 minutes a night and see what he can do.

I would keep him as a reserve until the beginning of the year at least. Anything to keep his confidence up.

Having said that, 24 to 28 minutes a night would be a good thing too.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - cow - 11-23-2022

Only caught the second half tonight but it was a bad night at the office for Josh.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-23-2022

Im 100% for hiring Haralabob as a consultant on our next FRP selection.  Greens defense is starting to show.  He gave Smart, Brogdan, Tatum and Brown trouble getting shots off 1 on 1.   I dont notice Bullock giving good players fits.

I actually like the Curry trade he has been abused for...I think it made sense even if Richardson didnt work out.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 11-28-2022

While not always pretty, I am really enjoying Green being aggressive to the rim when he gets the chance.   I don't care if Horford swats him to tomorrow, he is at least a threat to shoot at the rim now.    It is not always graceful but he has started  using his body at times to shield a defender.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 04:09 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: While not always pretty, I am really enjoying Green being aggressive to the rim when he gets the chance.   I don't care if Horford swats him to tomorrow, he is at least a threat to shoot at the rim now.    It is not always graceful but he has started  using his body at times to shield a defender.

In 2 years Green is going to be a player.  Will be able to drive to the rim, shoot a 3 and play killer defense.

Please dont trade him for Danny Green.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Smitty - 11-28-2022

Anyone seen or heard from @"Winter"

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - SwisherPrice - 11-28-2022

Green had good minutes in the 3rd quarter against the Bucks. They actually let him handle the ball and set some screens for him that resulted in a trip to the FT line and a 3-pointer. Then Kidd had enough and brought back Dinwiddie to hog the ball while Green went back to the traditional DFS/Bullock/Kleber role of standing in the corner.  And then we don't see Green again until halfway through the 4Q when the Bucks jumped up to a big lead on the starters  Sad

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - burekemde - 11-28-2022

(11-28-2022, 04:28 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Green had good minutes in the 3rd quarter against the Bucks. They actually let him handle the ball and set some screens for him that resulted in a trip to the FT line and a 3-pointer. Then Kidd had enough and brought back Dinwiddie to hog the ball while Green went back to the traditional DFS/Bullock/Kleber role of standing in the corner.  And then we don't see Green again until halfway through the 4Q when the Bucks jumped up to a big lead on the starters  Sad

Good observation. Indeed, he is showing more and more ability to penetrate and drive to the rim, or in worst case if there is a big, drive out again for a pass. He is so athletic that its shame not to give him more of these opportunities. If he can learn to be more fluent around the rim, he could develop in quiet some player.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Kammrath - 11-29-2022

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1597613914262769664

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-29-2022

Josh's 3 shot will be fine long term.  His misses arent all over the rim like they use to be...his misses are more precise these days.

I am still a big supporter of sending Josh to the D or G League for a couple of games with strict instructions to ball hog and work on creating and driving and finishing.  Just do it non-stop all game long.  Once he gets comfortable driving and finishing after contact hes going to be a player.  Mavs are stunting his growth right now which is baffling.   Hes got a lot of work to do on the offensive end and Mavs are just prolonging those flaws by allowing THJ more minutes or shots.  Just send Josh to G/D league for a few games to see if he can iron a few things out.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 11-29-2022

I really don't think G-league games are the answer for Green.  He is playing real important NBA minutes right now.  I really think what you are asking above can be done in a practice environment.   No need to give him a slight to send him down to G-league games at this point in his career imo.

Last year, I made the comparison of Mikal Bridges to Green.   They are different players but thought it was possible to have similar career paths.    Bridges is about 4 years older than Green.   Bridges is making another jump this year.   Not sure Green will get to the level Bridges is at currently, but you can use him as a reference of what type of growth targets you want Green to hit moving forward.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - mvossman - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 12:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I really don't think G-league games are the answer for Green.  He is playing real important NBA minutes right now.  I really think what you are asking above can be done in a practice environment.   No need to give him a slight to send him down to G-league games at this point in his career imo.

Last year, I made the comparison of Mikal Bridges to Green.   They are different players but thought it was possible to have similar career paths.    Bridges is about 4 years older than Green.   Bridges is making another jump this year.   Not sure Green will get to the level Bridges is at currently, but you can use him as a reference of what type of growth targets you want Green to hit moving forward.

Is this based on an older post?  Why in the world would you want to put Green in the G League now?

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 01:06 PM)mvossman Wrote: Is this based on an older post?  Why in the world would you want to put Green in the G League now?

He is responding to my suggestion to send Green to G/D League.

My opinion is that Josh Green has a lot of room to grow and leaves a lot to be desired on offense.  Fortunately...we are seeing baby steps in his offensive game.  I stand by my suggestion as I dont think its crazy and I think it makes sense.

Josh isnt going to lose confidence because Coaches want him to use the G/D League to get some important reps that he would not get in an NBA game or practice.  Especially if its only for a few games.  

If Josh used the D/G League and got 20-25 drives a game...he is only getting like 3 to 5 now if even that.  Why wait 2 years for him to develop if you could speed up the process is my main point.

But if you arent interested in Green adding skills to his bag and only are interested in 3andD...I guess he is fine currently.  Personally, I would like Green to learn how to drive and finish after contact.   He would help this team and Luka so freaking much if he could do that.  He's got the athleticism to be really dominant if he could get enough reps to get comfortable and confident.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 01:52 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Josh isnt going to lose confidence because Coaches want him to use the G/D League to get some important reps

Pretty big assumption imo.

He's developing just fine in the NBA and getting more and more minutes and opportunities to grow, no need to rock the boat.

(11-29-2022, 04:23 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Pretty big assumption imo.

He's developing just fine in the NBA and getting more and more minutes and opportunities to grow, no need to rock the boat.

A lot of assumptions on this board.

Listen to the kids interviews.  He doesnt seem like a knucklehead.  Says he will do whatever the team wants him to do but actually sounds genuine when he says it.  Not some coached, canned response his agent or Mavs told him to give.  

My money is on this kid isnt like Will Barton who rubbed Denver the wrong way because he said he aint coming off the bench.   Plus...Im sure he knows, his agent knows, his close circle knows he's doing good and that a couple of G/D League games arent because Mavs dont want him but are trying to help him.   You think this kid doesnt watch tape and know his offense is ugly and depends on athleticism?  Please.

Internet is filled with weird takes.  Nothing I have said is nutty or would kill a players game.  I think I sound more reasonable than "You cant send him down because xxxxxxxxxxxx"

Once this kid is making 15-20M and his offense is still lacking youre going to look back and be like "Maybe dynamicalVoid was on to something with Green"

ITS FOR LIKE 2 OR 3 GAMES TO SEE IF SOMETHING CLICKS AND TO GET REPS.   Simple as that.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 11-29-2022

"You can't send him down because he's making winning contributions to the actual team" would be my main take.  He's like the second best player on our team so far this season.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - F Gump - 11-29-2022

(11-29-2022, 05:02 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: "You can't send him down because he's making winning contributions to the actual team" would be my main take.  He's like the second best player on our team so far this season.

Has there been any SERIOUS talk of JG being sent down? That sounds like some Bizarro World take by someone, that doesn't fit the Mavs (or the NBA) landscape at all.

Not trying to work in basketball or NBA.  

Anyone that doesnt see Greens offensive skills issues doesnt fit NBA landscape.  And anyone suggesting its stupid to send a guy down to work on his offense to get 4 times the reps per game he would playing for the Mavs seems like Bizarro reasoning to me.  Why is the team trying to let Josh drive more when he sucks at finishing?  You just want him to learn with 4 reps a game?  Why not send him down and try and speed up the process?

The kids obvious weakness is offense.   I would prefer him be more rounded than catch and shoot...but if thats what you want...a one dimensional player....just take a look at whats plaguing the Mavs currently.   But I get it...youre going to say its missed shots and no one needs to do anything but make shots on the Mavs.  Modern offense...Luka...blah blah blah.   I disagree with that.

What is so criminal about suggesting the kid go get reps for a couple of games?  Or are you just going to call me names instead of making a good argument why he shouldnt?  Or say that Green doesnt need to work on offense?

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 11-29-2022

Some Notes:

• Mavs can pretty much scrap any idea of Green as a primary ballhandler even for short stretches. He is good helping out taking the ball up court, but leave him in the backcourt all by himself with pressure D is just asking for a turnover. The thing with Green is he can dribble in breaks, he can zig-zag his way without losing dribble in full speed, but somehow bring the ball up slowly and deliberately is a weakness for him.

• When Josh is up top screening for Luka, I expect good things. When Luka gets doubled, a pass to Green could mean a 3 pointer, an extra pass to the open man, and a drive towards the basket. The first 2, you'd get from RB, DFS and even Maxi, but very seldom they do drives to the basket, and when they do, it just seem so slow and awkward. I hope the Mavs exploit Green's capability to slash in the lane with that guard screen on top. This team needs more variety from the 3 point shooting offense.

(11-29-2022, 11:11 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Some Notes:

• Mavs can pretty much scrap any idea of Green as a primary ballhandler even for short stretches. He is good helping out taking the ball up court, but leave him in the backcourt all by himself with pressure D is just asking for a turnover. The thing with Green is he can dribble in breaks, he can zig-zag his way without losing dribble in full speed, but somehow bring the ball up slowly and deliberately is a weakness for him.

• When Josh is up top screening for Luka, I expect good things. When Luka gets doubled, a pass to Green could mean a 3 pointer, an extra pass to the open man, and a drive towards the basket. The first 2, you'd get from RB, DFS and even Maxi, but very seldom they do drives to the basket, and when they do, it just seem so slow and awkward. I hope the Mavs exploit Green's capability to slash in the lane with that guard screen on top. This team needs more variety from the 3 point shooting offense.

Green needs lots of reps handling the ball.  He will never develop playing behind THJ, Luka and Spencer.  I dont care about reading excuses of why Green doesnt need to learn ball handling/driving/finishing or how we can let it take 2 or 3 years for him to develop.  Thats wasting time, imo.   The kid could be really really good if he had proper reps...but he isnt going to get them on the Mavs or we're going to have to wait 4 years.

Another reason I prefer to speed up Greens development is because the way he plays(explosive, 100% effort, 200mph constantly) is asking for injury or getting burned out quick.  The way he plays is hard on the body.   You might not get that long of Green like we are seeing today...especially if his minutes increase 10+ per game.

Id prefer to speed up his offensive development sooner than later.