MavsBoard
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green (/showthread.php?tid=1911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - mvossman - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 10:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I disagree with him not being a hooper.   He has had shortcomings in creating off the dribble.  This may always be a shortcoming for him.   It just doesn't appear he will ever be good at facing someone up and getting a basket off the dribble.    He is finishing a little better this year and that has always been a weak spot of his game as well.

But he has always had a nice feel for the game.  He sees the court well.   He just needed confidence and to play with freedom.  You are seeing that now.    

Going back to HS, he has always showed a nice feel for the game.    Hustle/athleticism is a big part of his game.  But if you don't see his feel for the game, you are missing a pretty big part of his skillset.

I don't think there was ever much chance he was going to be able to create for himself in that manner at the NBA level.  That's why his ceiling was low.  I thought his floor was low as well, which is why I hated the pick, but its starting to look like he may end up being close to his ceiling (high quality 3&D worth MLE).  That would be a significant drafting success even if there were a couple of guys behind him that turned out even better.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - KillerLeft - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 11:38 AM)mvossman Wrote: but its starting to look like he may end up being close to his ceiling (high quality 3&D worth MLE). 

Agree with your assessment, but I'd like to add one minor nuance:

Most of the good, notable 3&D names over the past 20 years or so have taken a while before reaching maximum effectiveness. Our own DFS, Ariza, KCP, etc, etc, etc. When you think about when those guys became sought after players, my strong feeling is that it happened in the age range of say 28 to about 35. 

If Green can reach that level of understanding with the mental things and play like a vet soon, there's insane and rare value in that level of player coming in a 22-26 year old, athletic package.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - mvossman - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 11:35 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: His entire career has been "small sample" when you're talking about shots at the rim. 

Anyone who analyzed him pre-draft (we had an outstanding thread that summer - the best ever, probs) or watched him play the first couple of years likely noticed he had a knack for turning surefire dunks into ridiculously difficult "touch" layups. 

It was such a glaring deficiency that we discussed so frequently that I had a bit going for a while wherein I'd tag @"Kammrath" with "Green made a layup!" every time he scored one.

I mean, his entire career has been somewhat small sample given how little he shoots, but he has taken well over 1/3 of his shots at the rim.  If he makes shots more difficult than they should be, I would think that would be reflected in his percentage at the rim?  Maybe he gets a higher percentage of uncontested shots at the rim because they are generally transition?  Maybe his biggest issue is passing away from shots at the rim?  Just curious.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - KillerLeft - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 11:50 AM)mvossman Wrote: I mean, his entire career has been somewhat small sample given how little he shoots, but he has taken well over 1/3 of his shots at the rim.  If he makes shots more difficult than they should be, I would think that would be reflected in his percentage at the rim?  Maybe he gets a higher percentage of uncontested shots at the rim because they are generally transition?  Maybe his biggest issue is passing away from shots at the rim?  Just curious.

Yes to both of the last questions, but...and I say this knowing you follow the team closely, so no disrespect, but I'm telling you, this dude as a rookie was expert level at making a layup 10x more difficult than it needed to be. It's just something we used to observe and discuss on the regular. I have no idea how to reconcile your point about percentages, but I've never been someone to let a stat talk me out of something I feel I learned from watching. I think both ways of learning are valid, but I trust my eyes, personally. 

Anyway, the moral of the story is whatever he has been doing with his practice time is paying off. I'd say his finishing has been GOOD lately, so no sense arguing about the past.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 11:50 AM)mvossman Wrote: I mean, his entire career has been somewhat small sample given how little he shoots, but he has taken well over 1/3 of his shots at the rim.  If he makes shots more difficult than they should be, I would think that would be reflected in his percentage at the rim?  Maybe he gets a higher percentage of uncontested shots at the rim because they are generally transition?  Maybe his biggest issue is passing away from shots at the rim?  Just curious.

And this is where stats and eye test clash.  You are right to assume that.  But others are also right in saying he looks below average.   

I think the wording that was used above is perfect....he makes easy shots most average NBA players make look easy look more difficult than they should be.  I think its a combo of scared to get shot blocked, lack of creativeness and bad feel for the game in regards to that aspect of basketball.

I think most people would prefer the guy that makes the easy shots look easy over the guy that seems to turn those shots in to circus shots.  But that clashes with your stats.

(11-08-2022, 11:44 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agree with your assessment, but I'd like to add one minor nuance:

Most of the good, notable 3&D names over the past 20 years or so have taken a while before reaching maximum effectiveness. Our own DFS, Ariza, KCP, etc, etc, etc. When you think about when those guys became sought after players, my strong feeling is that it happened in the age range of say 28 to about 35. 

If Green can reach that level of understanding with the mental things and play like a vet soon, there's insane and rare value in that level of player coming in a 22-26 year old, athletic package.

Yeah, looking at some others like Covington and Green (guys who I really wanted here at various times) really didn't start playing at a high level until mid to upper 20s.  That does put Josh ahead of the curve and makes it strange to me that folks were so quick to give up on him when he was still showing progress.

(11-08-2022, 11:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes to both of the last questions, but...and I say this knowing you follow the team closely, so no disrespect, but I'm telling you, this dude as a rookie was expert level at making a layup 10x more difficult than it needed to be. It's just something we used to observe and discuss on the regular. I have no idea how to reconcile your point about percentages, but I've never been someone to let a stat talk me out of something I feel I learned from watching. I think both ways of learning are valid, but I trust my eyes, personally. 

Anyway, the moral of the story is whatever he has been doing with his practice time is paying off. I'd say his finishing has been GOOD lately, so no sense arguing about the past.

To be clear, this was less about suggesting Green was good at the rim, and more about curiosity around the failure of the stat.  I tend to crosscheck both.  It took years for advanced stats to convince me that Powell actually contributed to on court success when my eye test was telling me he was useless.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 12:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: To be clear, this was less about suggesting Green was good at the rim, and more about curiosity around the failure of the stat.  I tend to crosscheck both.  It took years for advanced stats to convince me that Powell actually contributed to on court success when my eye test was telling me he was useless.

Probably still is useless in a Playoff setting.

You have to have skills in the NBA.  If you have to have advanced stats to justify a player...I assume something is probably off with said player.

Powell looks better this year than last 2 years.  But is he ideal?  I suspect he isnt unless he has upped his game a lot this year.  No doubt he seems to be playing well and making layups easier than he used to.  He doesnt seem to be fumbling the ball as much either.   Seems to be a different Powell than last 2 years, imo.   But is it ideal Playoff material?  I dont know.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 11-08-2022

I am so glad we are getting a good look at Green.  Whether he has arrived or if this is a part of the bumpy development cycle is TBD.    I was worried we would not get a real look at him when he entered last year outside the rotation.  My take last year is if they were serious about his development, he needed minutes last year.  I am glad we have taken the long view in his development.   Whether he is here for several years or if he is eventually moved, the Mavs need to be right in their evaluation.    Same thing with Hardy.    

Green, like Dwight, is a nice match with Luka.  They don't require plays run for them, they play hard all the time, and they have no ego.   In some ways, I view Green as the more talented guard version of Dwight.

(11-08-2022, 01:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am so glad we are getting a good look at Green.  Whether he has arrived or if this is a part of the bumpy development cycle is TBD.    I was worried we would not get a real look at him when he entered last year outside the rotation.  My take last year is if they were serious about his development, he needed minutes last year.  I am glad we have taken the long view in his development.   Whether he is here for several years or if he is eventually moved, the Mavs need to be right in their evaluation.    Same thing with Hardy.    

Green, like Dwight, is a nice match with Luka.  They don't require plays run for them, they play hard all the time, and they have no ego.   In some ways, I view Green as the more talented guard version of Dwight.

He is probably going to get even more minutes depending on how long Timmy is out.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - DanSchwartzgan - 11-08-2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6WdUvVFPuI

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - SwisherPrice - 11-08-2022

Green is looking like he could be a perfect player for a Luka-centric team and yet half the fanbase still doesn't like him   Huh He will be 22 this season, still a long way to go in his development but you're already seeing what he can do when he's given minutes and not buried on the depth chart behind veterans. 

I understand the Powell comparisons because of their hustle but not in terms of their ceiling. Powell was the 45th pick with physical limitations (not the biggest/strongest).  Green was a Top-20 pick with all of the tools physically. The upside is still there. If at worse, Green becomes another DFS/Bullock then that's fine but he still has way more potential. That's what Kidd mentioned previously - he knows Green can just be a 3 and D player at the very least but just limiting him to that could be a waste of what he's capable of. As a 21-year old right now, there are things that Green has shown that we never see from experienced vets like DFS/Bullock. He already had a 10 assist game in his career. 

As they start to give him more minutes and involve him in the offense, I expect him to keep producing.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - MFFL - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 09:43 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: As they start to give him more minutes and involve him in the offense, I expect him to keep producing.

I just hope the Mavs don't change his role for another 20 or so games. Let Green have a lot of success with this role and build some confidence before giving him a new role (like starting)

(11-08-2022, 10:01 PM)MFFL Wrote: I just hope the Mavs don't change his role for another 20 or so games. Let Green have a lot of success with this role and build some confidence before giving him a new role (like starting)

Great point, and honestly, with guys like Bullock and THJ around, I don't think you'll have to worry about him get pushed to the front of the line overnight, even if part of us thinks it's the right thing to do. 

I actually respect Kidd a lot for sticking with Green over Bullock last night. Shocked me, tbh.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - cow - 11-08-2022

All credit to KD for making me join the Josh bandwagon.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Dundalis - 11-09-2022

The thing with the comp to Dodo and Bullock is IMO they are prototypical 3&D wings, with very good but not remotely elite level defense. Green has that upside, albeit he's smaller, so the range of players he can reasonably defend is smaller than Dodo or Bullock who can guard 1-4. But he could guard 1-3 at a truly elite caliber. He's also got handles, one of the things that kills us IMO with Dodo and Bullock is not that they aren't very good ball handlers, it's that they are TERRIBLE ball handlers. I know Dodo gets the odd open lane drive and finish, but he's god awful and I hate watching him put the ball on the floor, even if he somehow magically finishes. Green is also miles better than either as a transition finisher, which Luka pretty much has not really had so far in his career. Be a huge win if he continues his current trajectory.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Kammrath - 11-09-2022

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1590348966801321984

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 11-13-2022

Really think Josh Green is going to be keeper.   I was super skeptical of his offensive ability...but I am starting think he is going to be at least a 3andD player for us.  I feel so much better about him shooting 3s now...his shot looks smoother, more confident and his bricks arent as bad as they use to be.   His mid-range is still questionable.   He is starting to get a feel for using his athleticism to take it to rim and hang in air, adjust and then get the layup after contact.  He use to just be really wild at those drives and contested layups.  The kid seems to be an excellent passer.  

The more this kid plays the faster the game will slow down for him and the more confident he will become on offense.  I still feel he has a ways to go offensively.   

Question:  Do we love him or hate him at 7-10M per year on his second contract?  Or is he due more based on how hes been playing this year?  I think he will only keep getting better with more minutes but I dont know if it will be enough to fend off hate for the kid based on his contract.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 11-21-2022

Green needs to be the top dog for SG minutes now.

No more standing in the corner and waiting for the ball please.
This kid needs to have an active role in the offense moving forward.

Make more plays for him to get cuts and shoot open 3s, even try a bit of an ISO to see how he fares. It's not his game but, trusting him to score would mean a lot for his confidence. He needs to feel he isn't behind the pecking order for guys like THJ and Bullock. He needs to know he is above them.

RE: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - ThisIStheYear - 11-22-2022

Time to put him in the starting lineup for 28 minutes a night and see what he can do.