MavsBoard
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green (/showthread.php?tid=1911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 10-29-2022

I agree with Dan’s thoughts on Green.

As far as McGee, he was not on my radar this summer and wasn’t crazy with the signing.  But I thought it was fine.  I thought it could work for the role they were looking for.  I didn’t expect him to be a starter though.  What he needs to do is very simple if he is going to be productive 15-20 minutes a night. One, he needs to play hard all the time.  Two, he needs to do the boring things really well.  He needs to make the correct locations, not get beat down the floor, secure rebounds when they are in his area, etc.  playing with Luka, he should get 3-5 easy baskets a game.  There weee a few so far where they appear a tad off.  Hopefully that will improve over time.  But it really won’t matter if he doesn’t play hard or master the boring parts of being a trusted veteran

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Scott41theMavs - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 11:34 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree with Dan’s thoughts on Green.

As far as McGee, he was not on my radar this summer and wasn’t crazy with the signing.  But I thought it was fine.  I thought it could work for the role they were looking for.  I didn’t expect him to be a starter though.  What he needs to do is very simple if he is going to be productive 15-20 minutes a night. One, he needs to play hard all the time.  Two, he needs to do the boring things really well.  He needs to make the correct locations, not get beat down the floor, secure rebounds when they are in his area, etc.  playing with Luka, he should get 3-5 easy baskets a game.  There weee a few so far where they appear a tad off.  Hopefully that will improve over time.  But it really won’t matter if he doesn’t play hard or master the boring parts of being a trusted veteran

When I have seen McGee play (well) against the Mavs in games since his last stint here, he played with energy and pride. I'm not seeing that buy-in at this point. Come on, dude, you got your buddy J-Kidd in your corner, and you get to play with Luka. Get your shit together.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - KillerLeft - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 10:43 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I hate to say it, but I don't get why they don't just play Powell to conserve Maxi at this point.

That should have been the plan, and then they could've spent the RMLE on someone who might still matter when the games matter, at the end of the season.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Jym - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 03:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That should have been the plan, and then they could've spent the RMLE on someone who might still matter when the games matter, at the end of the season.

Especially in 3 years
Imagine how unplayable McGee will be at that point

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Tunesquad23 - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 03:28 PM)Jym Wrote: Especially in 3 years
Imagine how unplayable McGee will be at that point

McGee & I are the same age only 2 days apart from each other. I feel like it could be an early mental motivation thing for him & maybe he’ll get out of this eventually. He hasn’t looked good yet. I was happy about the acquisition when they signed him, but not for 3 yrs! Mcgee seemed to play better with a better supporting cast around him like Curry, Thompson, Green, KD, Rondo, Lebron, AD, Dwight, KCP. I hope he gets out of these disappointing games he’s been having. Only time will tell!

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 10-29-2022

Sort of quiet half for Green.  Good energy.  Just giving up hope he will ever be able to consistently score of the dribble.  For such an athletic guy, he lacks really any burst off the dribble trying to score.  At least he tried a few times.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-29-2022

Josh's tendency is to spin. But the move doesn't seem natural for him.
He needs a change in direction or change in speed.

A euro-step move can help him.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 10-29-2022

He cant create and asking him to do so is a bad idea.  He can slash but I dont think Mavs want to help him get involved by doing things offensively to get slashers on the board.  

Unless Green is just not understanding how or what Bullock is doing to get wide open 3s....I think Green is a better player than Bullock.  If Green can get those looks Bullock gets I think he converts similar 3%.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 10-29-2022

Josh showed flashes of his horrid feel for the game offensively tonight...but showed more aggression and willingness to try and make something happen with ball in his hands.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-29-2022

(10-29-2022, 11:39 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Josh showed flashes of his horrid feel for the game offensively tonight...but showed more aggression and willingness to try and make something happen with ball in his hands.

Josh footwork is basic. Hard to do spins when you can't pivot.
But I like what he did today.
Despite the rough start, he made up for it.

Better than what Bullock provided all game long.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - sefant - 10-30-2022

Green defensive impact by the numbers are Gobert multiplied by 3 after 5 games.

Shows how good he is so far, and how bad the others are doing on defense. As soon as he is out of the game, the defense literallly falls apart. Apart from the Grizzlies game, the Mavs defense has been worst in the league. Green and to some extent (Kleber) is the single reason it isn't.

Pelicans game, Green checking in, the defense stabilized afterwards. Don't even need stats, its evident just by watching the game. And his defense also straight up makes the offense better.

Green min -> no 1 defense in the league
No Green -> 28th on DefRtg

top 3 performing player on the Mavs so far this year, and its barely been close either.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 10-30-2022

I like the drive and the reverse.

But.. did he just cut in the lane, and kick it outside again? I'm not sure he has a free lane but.. would prefer his cuts to the basket end up the way Dorain does. In dunks preferably.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - dynamicalVoid - 10-30-2022

Green's offense is not ideal.  Its just that defense and hustle make things happen.  I dont know if you can quantify it.

If teams came calling with a good offer I would cash in because of the elementary level offensive skill set he has...but without a winning trade I just assume keep the lad.  

There is something electric about his presence on the court.  Momentum starts to swing your way when hes on the hardwood.   

I think the only way to optimize him is by playing him with starters and not second team.  I think he plays way better with starter level spacing.

I saw him completely sabotaging some of Orlando's slashing plays because Green stayed on his man that was slashing.   Constantly disrupting the offense with his hands and hustle.   The guy is an annoying try hard.   A guy you hate to play against but love to have on your team.  

He is absolute horse poo though when trying to create or finish at rim.   But I can live with it.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - sterlingmallory - 11-01-2022

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1587575857882828803?s=20&t=g9pSuoydp1Ha5fETwo1c5w

You're the coach, you can definitely do this.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 11-01-2022

(11-01-2022, 07:13 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1587575857882828803?s=20&t=g9pSuoydp1Ha5fETwo1c5w

I know by "we", he meant the whole coaching staff, and that's just understandable.

But I can't help feeling like Kidd knows he can't point fingers this time, so the emphasis is on "we", just to let everybody know that he isn't fully responsible for Josh's PT. In Kidd-speak, he just means he isn't accountable, or at least, not fully his fault if the Mavs can't get Josh more PT.

Everyone knows at the end of the day, it's his call to make.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - sefant - 11-01-2022

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1639626851

from 53:10. Followill on Green

"maybe that was a time to just roll with him out there" - OKC 4th quarter

Followill Grade A
Kidd Grade F

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - DanSchwartzgan - 11-02-2022

(11-01-2022, 07:13 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1587575857882828803?s=20&t=g9pSuoydp1Ha5fETwo1c5w

He and the staff had a plan.  When he says "we" have to do something, I interpret it to mean he and the staff have to adjust the plan rather than some nefarious attempt to deflect blame.   

If DFS doesn't play a single minute at the three, there are 144 minutes to divide between five players.  But, DFS IS playing minutes at the 3 anytime he's in with two bigs.  So, that shrinks the available pool some more.  Here is how minutes are being distributed among the 1-3 through six games with the OT minutes removed:

35.1  Luka
31.1  Bullock
30.5  Dinwiddie
25.2  THJ
15.5  Green
5.0    DFS

That is 142.4 instead of 144.  The 5 minutes for DFS comes from BBall-Ref's estimate that 15% of Finney-Smith's minutes have come at the SF.

Luka is going to get his 34 or so and if DFS holds steady at five minutes at SF, then everyone else (Josh, THJ, SD and RB) get to average about 26 minutes a game.  The good news is THJ is already down in the 25/26 minute area.  Dinwiddie probably can't be cut much more than that if he's going to start.  He has to play the 14 non-Luka minutes and has typically played with Luka the first six minutes of each half.  That's his 26, so no Dinwiddie in the closing lineup.  The rest of Josh's minutes would come from Bullock.  They essentially share 48 minutes already, so that isn't too difficult an adjustment.

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Smitty - 11-02-2022

(11-02-2022, 06:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He and the staff had a plan.  When he says "we" have to do something, I interpret it to mean he and the staff have to adjust the plan rather than some nefarious attempt to deflect blame.   

Isn’t it as simple as giving Green more playing time and Bullock less playing time?

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 11-02-2022

(11-02-2022, 06:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: He and the staff had a plan.  When he says "we" have to do something, I interpret it to mean he and the staff have to adjust the plan rather than some nefarious attempt to deflect blame.   

The rest of Josh's minutes would come from Bullock.  They essentially share 48 minutes already, so that isn't too difficult an adjustment.

"We" would be the right thing to say, the coaching staff should be him and his assistants.

But I'm curious to know how much of the pie the rest of coaching staff has.
How many of his assistants prefer giving more minutes to Wood and Green?

With Kidd playing mini-GM, basically overstepping, his role, I won't be surprised if he holds 90% of the coaching decisions. 

And you can see it yourself, it's not too difficult of an adjustment -- so what is he waiting for then? Here comes the convenience of the "we" part. It's like Kidd saying -- "Don't look at me, I have to consider what my coaching staff says, if they agree and I agree his minutes go up, then they go up". Convenient, pre-emptive strike.

Mind games with Kidd right?

RE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green - Chicagojk - 11-02-2022

I think he has deserved more minutes.  Some players are 15 minute a game players.  Lets stretch him and see how he does.   It is important.  If he can be a solid player, he will be a good investment.  He will never be Maxey or Bane, but if he can be a positive asset that will help us moving forward.