MavsBoard
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=1765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - cow - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 11:32 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I just want @"Scott41theMavs" to return. @"ItsGoTime" needs a new signature  Tongue

WCS getting cut broke his heart.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - mvossman - 02-14-2022

(02-13-2022, 01:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Bertans, on the other hand, would seem to fit this team like a glove, as all the things they needed to do with Porzingis that he was just not happy doing are the things Bertans wants to do. I guess the only issue with him is about whether or not he is even still a good player anywhere. 

Does Bertans fit like a glove?  Is he going to P&R and P&P with Luka like we were hoping KP would do?  Or is he just going to sit in the corner and take the occasional 3?

Does his defense fit on this team?  I thought our issues with THJ was that his defense was bringing the team down and his offense was one dimensional.  Bertrans is a worse defender and even more one dimensional offensive player.  I'm struggling to see how he fits this team?

Unless he/Kidd figures out how to not be a complete negative on the defensive end, it seems like we are looking a 10-15 minute a game player who wont be anywhere near worth his contract, but will play just enough to get his final year.

A lot of things have to go just right for this trade not to be a complete disaster.  I can't believe KP value was this low.  Its hard for me to see how this team can be contender level anytime soon.  Our talent level went down, our cap situation and contract situation went down.  We have no assets.  This trade really crushed just about any hope I had.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 01:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: Does his defense fit on this team?  I thought our issues with THJ was that his defense was bringing the team down and his offense was one dimensional.  Bertrans is a worse defender and even more one dimensional offensive player.  I'm struggling to see how he fits this team?

I believe that Bertans is a better TEAM defender than THJ. 

New context and situation, so only time will tell. But I am personally anticipating him being passable in the defensive scheme.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - ItsGoTime - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 01:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I believe that Bertans is a better TEAM defender than THJ. 

New context and situation, so only time will tell. But I am personally anticipating him being passable in the defensive scheme.
Isn't he a big coming off an ACL surgery too? If so, how does that factor in?

(02-14-2022, 01:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I believe that Bertans is a better TEAM defender than THJ. 

I will believe it when I see it.  He has no lateral movement and he is soft.  Is there a PF in the league with a worse rebounding rate?  There is a reason his contract is considered one of the worst in the league by many.

(02-14-2022, 01:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Isn't he a big coming off an ACL surgery too? If so, how does that factor in?

DB tore his ACL in 2015....7 years ago.

(02-14-2022, 01:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Isn't he a big coming off an ACL surgery too? If so, how does that factor in?

His ACL's were years ago.  He skipped the bubble due to a shoulder injury.  He had a calf injury last year and has had ankle sprains this year.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - ItsGoTime - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 01:41 PM)cow Wrote: has had ankle sprains this year.

That's a lot of ankle sprains to keep him out as much as KP has been this year!

(02-14-2022, 01:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That's a lot of ankle sprains to keep him out as much as KP has been this year!

He has sat out because of "coach's decision" a bunch as well.

(02-14-2022, 01:41 PM)cow Wrote: His ACL's were years ago.  He skipped the bubble due to a shoulder injury.  He had a calf injury last year and has had ankle sprains this year.

Yeah, our best chance for him not getting that final year is his injury history is not any better than KPs.  Neither is SD for that matter.  It makes this trade even more puzzling.  If KPs availability was your concern, these are not the guys to replace him with.  Was the Luka/KP beef that bad that you had to dump him no matter what?  Was it really that bad?  I would have much rather preferred getting what we could out KP than taking on these two contracts.  Given the availability is roughly the same and the ceiling is way higher with KP it just makes no sense to me.  And if the problem really is locker room related, still not sure these are the guys to get given what we hear coming out of Washington.

(02-14-2022, 01:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: He has sat out because of "coach's decision" a bunch as well.

Not really a ringing endorsement.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - omahen - 02-14-2022

Cato and Robbins (Washington beat writer for The Athletic) discussed the trade. This is what Robbins had to say:
- Dinwiddie 
The Wizards signed Dinwiddie to star alongside Beal, but when they played together, Dinwiddie was oddly passive. I don’t think it had much to do with Dinwiddie’s return from a January 2021 knee surgery. Some, but not a lot.

I think Dinwiddie didn’t have the ball in his hands enough. Beal served as the point guard often, even when Dinwiddie was on the floor, and Dinwiddie was not comfortable playing off the ball. 

But I think the biggest issue for him is having the ball in his hands. There were sequences when he was stationed in one of the corners when Beal or someone else would have the ball. If he’s deployed off the ball, his impact on games will be minimal.

- Bertans
But when he’s not hitting his 3s, he’s almost unplayable. He’s not agile enough to defend smalls and not strong enough to guard bigs, though to his credit, he’s not afraid to commit a hard foul. 

I think he has a chance of fitting better in Dallas than in Washington. He’s had problems staying healthy this season, and that would disrupt anyone’s shooting rhythm, even Bertāns’. So if he can remain injury-free, there’s a chance he’ll regain his shooting stroke.

My comment: I am even more worried about Brunson. Looks like he will be relegated to play off ball full time. Far from wanting to lead a team.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 01:58 PM)omahen Wrote: Cato and Robbins (Washington beat writer for The Athletic) discussed the trade. This is what Robbins had to say:
- Dinwiddie 
The Wizards signed Dinwiddie to star alongside Beal, but when they played together, Dinwiddie was oddly passive. I don’t think it had much to do with Dinwiddie’s return from a January 2021 knee surgery. Some, but not a lot.

I think Dinwiddie didn’t have the ball in his hands enough. Beal served as the point guard often, even when Dinwiddie was on the floor, and Dinwiddie was not comfortable playing off the ball. 

But I think the biggest issue for him is having the ball in his hands. There were sequences when he was stationed in one of the corners when Beal or someone else would have the ball. If he’s deployed off the ball, his impact on games will be minimal.

- Bertans
But when he’s not hitting his 3s, he’s almost unplayable. He’s not agile enough to defend smalls and not strong enough to guard bigs, though to his credit, he’s not afraid to commit a hard foul. 

I think he has a chance of fitting better in Dallas than in Washington. He’s had problems staying healthy this season, and that would disrupt anyone’s shooting rhythm, even Bertāns’. So if he can remain injury-free, there’s a chance he’ll regain his shooting stroke.

My comment: I am even more worried about Brunson. Looks like he will be relegated to play off ball full time. Far from wanting to lead a team.

Thanks for this!

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - dirkfansince1998 - 02-14-2022

That was less than a year ago. With THJ out no other player on the roster has a comparable skill set. If he still knows how to play he brings the kind of shooting gravity the Mavs desperately needed. He doesn´t need wide open set shots.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Chicagojk - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 02:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

That was less than a year ago. With THJ out no other player on the roster has a comparable skill set. If he still knows how to play he brings the kind of shooting gravity the Mavs desperately needed. He doesn´t need wide open set shots.

I am not a fan of the trade, but this video can make you feel better.  It is a little older than the video you shared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNFBHrkZkN8&t=290s

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 01:32 PM)mvossman Wrote: Does Bertans fit like a glove?  Is he going to P&R and P&P with Luka like we were hoping KP would do?

I think this is a great point and valid pushback on the careless wording of mine. No, Bertans does not represent an increase in possibilities for offensive creation. He's not the missing two-main game partner we hoped Porzingis was. Good point taken. 

But, Porzingis wasn't that player. At his most effective here (in terms of synergy) HE was standing in the corner, taking the occasional 3. He hated it. Bertans wants to do that, and might actually do that portion of Porzingis's job considerably better than KP did. 

Instead of a guy standing in the paint with his hand up, signaling the approach of another classic, rushed, turn-around brick we'll at least have the guy (and hopefully, his defender) on the perimeter. Shots might still brick, but at least there's a higher chance of there being some kind of space for Luka to do his thing before they do.  

That's all I meant by "fits like a glove" which I agree is too strongly worded.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Chicagojk - 02-14-2022

Here is Hollinger's writeup on Dinwiddie prior to FA.  He was ranked just in front of Hardaway.

Spencer Dinwiddie has one of the more fascinating free-agent trajectories this offseason. For starters, he has a player option for $12.3 million for next season. While it’s unlikely he picks it up, it is theoretically possible he could do an “extend-and-trade” starting from that number that would allow the Nets to move him to another team and get something back.
Less fancifully, there is the question of Dinwiddie’s value if he signs with another team outright. Coming off a partial ACL tear and having already torn an ACL in college, how much should teams discount his potential production at age 28? Is he worth paying as a leading man, or is he better off in a sixth-man role?
He’ll be further down the list after Conley and Lowry for teams shopping in a strong point guard market but will likely cost less. Dinwiddie averaged 20.6 points a game in the Before Times of 2019-20 but only shoots 31.8 percent from 3 for his career and plays more to score than pass. Can you live with that for, say, three years and $40 million?

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - burekemde - 02-14-2022

Both players have ability to transform their career and improve. Bertans could really fit the Luka offense. He will see much more space than he ever has and most likely will shoot better than ever. Dinwiddie has the perfect skill set to be that 6th man and transform our bad bench unit, desperately needed at the moment and for being able to make a deep playoff push and keep Luka fresh. Much more so than THJ, has Dinwiddie the skillset to be the 6th man. When Luka is out, we need a player with similar skillset on offense as Luka. Dinwiddie has actually that, he can penetrate score and pass. The bench unit offense can now with Dinwiddie be run in similar tactical fashion as the starting unit - That is great confort for other players on the team that the scheme doesnt change. Brunson can then focus to run with the Lukas unit more.

The trade makes really a lot sense and improves us. The only thing missing is a big men to control the paint. We saw warning signs in last game not being able to stop Zubac. That's a big hole. Maxi can fill it - but can he play big minutes?

EDIT: Dinwiddie played very well when not with Bradley Beal. The same might be with Luka. But Dinwiddie running the 2nd unit? That could turn out explosive. If that happens, Luka will stay more fresh, and we have all seen that Lukas defense improves a lot. Luka cant handle the offensive workload he needs to do at the moment. As soon as the bench comes in, we are losing points and the leads and they need to put Luka back in earlier than the coaches want.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - LukTheShadow - 02-14-2022

I don't know where this guy are coming from but for me they where pure fun to watch speaking about mavs trade. Who can not absorb sarcasm on our account better skip this clip.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Hypermav - 02-14-2022

I got distracted by the Kobe bobblehead.  That may be the worst ever.

(02-14-2022, 05:02 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I got distracted by the Kobe bobblehead.  That may be the worst ever.

Holy shit.

Summation of the video is where I land with the trade:  sad.