MavsBoard
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=1765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - ItsGoTime - 02-13-2022

(02-13-2022, 01:57 PM)burekemde Wrote: For me consistency is the key. Does a player almost guarantee you those 8.4 per night or does he give you much higher than that one game and fades away in 2-3 games....If Bertains is consistent, 8 points per game is amazing production to know each single game to get from a role player.  The latter is horrible. Luka, Brunson are highly consistent players and we need to build more on consistency. I dont know much about Dinwiddie and Bertans. We definitely need the bench unit to play a lot better, a lot more consistent, so I hope they bring some consistency to the bench. Automatic points when they come on.
Hardly a reason to justify $16M though, right? IF he’s consistently an 8.4 ppg player, we would still have to attach an asset that are in VERY short supply here to his contract. I get the thought that we might not want to trade him if he’s doing that consistently (better hope that consistency goes through the playoffs too, which I have my doubts), but a neutral asset he will never be.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - cow - 02-13-2022

(02-13-2022, 03:58 AM)Mapka Wrote: Don't know what it says about Bertans, but it makes me happy to not have Advija on my team.

I think it just reinforces the turmoil that Davis spoke of in his presser.  He sounded really bitter towards the situation in Washington after being otherwise absolutely pleasant.  Here is to greener pastures!

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - DanSchwartzgan - 02-13-2022

They say the NBA is all about relationships.  I like to dig up agent connections and now with Nico here, sneaker connections.  Much has been made of SD's relationship with Cuban.

Probably the relationship that matters most here is SD's relationship with Dudley as a teammate and Dudley's relationship with Kidd as his assistant coach in LA and boss on the coaching staff in Dallas.  Dinwiddie came off the bench scoring 16.8 points and 4.6 assists a game the year he played with Dudley.  His FT% was .806 and he shot 5.2 FT's per game.  I doubt, absent injuries, he gets 28 minutes a game here, but his per-36 could be similar.  

Point of the Post:  He's more of a known entity than just Cuban's Crypto Buddy.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-13-2022

(02-13-2022, 03:07 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: SD's relationship with Dudley

I think Dudley is more important in all this and in a lot of things than many of us realize. He was powerful as an end of the bench player in LAL and seems to have a gravity of power that follows him no matter where he goes.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-13-2022

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1492909398347374597

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - chaparral - 02-13-2022

(02-13-2022, 04:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1492909398347374597

I just get the feeling that MIA (Riley) and TOR (Mjiri) were playing the keep Dragic away from Cuban game all season.  This latest news about said KP trade talks just adds to the feeling.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-14-2022

https://twitter.com/MFFL_41_77/status/1493040931393654789

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-14-2022

I hope Kidd puts him in the RIGHT corner.

https://youtu.be/L17AoS2xFPs

https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1493224445804175370

(02-14-2022, 10:01 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/CBAMavs/status/1493224445804175370

Quote:Of [Bertans's] 2024-25 $16,000,00, only $5,000,000 is guaranteed. This means if the Mavericks ever waive him then they’d only owe him $5,000,000 for the 2024-25 season. However, it can become fully guaranteed if he reaches the incentive.

The whole $16,000,000 is guaranteed if he plays 75% of games in the 2023-24 season. In an 82-game season that equals him needing to pay 62 games. This seems to protect against the two likely reason he would play less.

1) He gets injured and is unable to play
2) His play worsens to the point that he’s not playing at all

Bertans contract also contains an Early Termination Option (ETO). This gives Bertans the right to cancel the final year of the contract if it’s to his benefit. He would be allowed to terminate the last year whether he has or has not has not triggered the year to be fully guaranteed. Bertans would have to have a career renaissance before he’d be likely to use the ETO to get out of a year where could could earn between $5,000,000 and $16,000,000

Quote:[Dinwiddie's] last season of $18,857,143 is already guaranteed for $10,000,000. The rest becomes guaranteed if he plays 50 games this year (already at 44) and 50 games next season. This seems to entirely hinge on Dinwiddie’s health next season. He’ll very likely hit the 50 games mark this season since he only needs to play in 6 of the Mavericks final 25 games.

Quote:The five incentives in Dinwiddie’s contract for each season are:

Dinwiddie playing 50 games ($1.5M)
His team getting to the 2nd round ($100,000)
His team getting to the Conference Finals ($571,427)
His team getting to the NBA Finals ($400,000)
His team wins the title ($1)
All these team goals come with the caveat that Dinwiddie has to play in at least 50% of the games for that round.

All 5 of Dinwiddie’s incentives are unlikely because neither he nor Washington (and now, nor Dallas) did these last season.

THEREFORE none of the $2,571,428 total in incentives count in Dinwiddie’s cap charge.

Quote:Now to explain the unfortunate side of Dinwiddie earning these incentives. IF he earns them this season then his estimated cap charge for next season will include the incentive, This is because with him hitting that mark the incentive would change from unlikely to likely. So if Dinwiddie plays in six more games to hit 50 then his cap charge for next season will go up by $1.5 million to $19.5.

If he hits them all then his 2022-23 contract cap charge would become $20,571,428. We’d welcome that with open arms because that would mean the Mavericks won the championship.

I’ve been saying “cap charge” because likely incentives only count against the cap, but don’t necessarily mean he’ll earn it again next year. If the Mavericks were trying to be a cap space team then this would matter but since the Mavericks will be far above the cap it won’t matter at all.

As far as tax implications, Spencer hitting incentives in the 2021-22 season wouldn’t raise the Mavericks tax for the 2022-23 season. The Mavericks tax bill for the 2022-23 season will use the incentives that he actually receives next season.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - ItsGoTime - 02-14-2022

So… high likelihood both players get that final season guaranteed. Gotcha. Lots of talk about that around here with so much confidence we could easily get rid of them a year earlier. How’s that confidence looking today?

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 10:37 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So… high likelihood both players get that final season guaranteed. Gotcha. Lots of talk about that around here with so much confidence we could easily get rid of them a year earlier. How’s that confidence looking today?

I think they'll be able to move them both earlier than that, if they want.

(02-14-2022, 10:37 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So… high likelihood both players get that final season guaranteed. Gotcha. Lots of talk about that around here with so much confidence we could easily get rid of them a year earlier. How’s that confidence looking today?

High likelihood that SD gets his final year. 

DB? 75% of games is quite a bit. 

I personally think Bertans contract is perfect: 

1) If he is good and healthy he gets the final year guaranteed (and $16M will be a STEAL in 2024-25. 

2) If he sucks (you bench him) or he is hurt he only costs $5M. 

Great deal for the team.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - ItsGoTime - 02-14-2022

(02-14-2022, 10:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Great deal for the team.
Untrue no matter how you spin it.

(02-14-2022, 10:43 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they'll be able to move them both earlier than that, if they want to attach assets to them.
FIFY

(02-14-2022, 11:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: FIFY

I don't agree. 

What's more, you seem bound and determined to be as miserable about this as possible. That's your right, of course!

I have known this was going to happen since before last season's deadline. I am sorry for your loss (it sucks!). I'm over it, and have been for some time now.

(02-14-2022, 11:13 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't agree. 

What's more, you seem bound and determined to be as miserable about this as possible. That's your right, of course!

I have known this was going to happen since before last season's deadline. I am sorry for your loss (it sucks!). I'm over it, and have been for some time now.
I for sure go overboard with negativity when I see some of the lengths people go to to try and negate the negativity. I also usually take a wait and see approach to trades and team acquisitions and don't fully weigh in like I have here. Once again, the lengths some have gone to to try and put that lipstick on really bothers me. 

Remember the optimism about JRich matching his Mia days here because..Luka? Delon Wright, the same thing. The fit was so perfect, how could it possibly go wrong? The optimism about SD's no defense playing on a team trying to play defense self is just more of the same to me. I would be fine if people were trying to say, let's see what we got first. We have some of those here, we just have a vocal few that are going to great lengths to make this trade look to be more than it is. That is not including you.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - dirkfansince1998 - 02-14-2022

I just want @"Scott41theMavs" to return. @"ItsGoTime" needs a new signature  Tongue

(02-14-2022, 11:30 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Remember the optimism about JRich matching his Mia days here because..Luka? Delon Wright, the same thing. The fit was so perfect, how could it possibly go wrong? The optimism about SD's no defense playing on a team trying to play defense self is just more of the same to me. I would be fine if people were trying to say, let's see what we got first. We have some of those here, we just have a vocal few that are going to great lengths to make this trade look to be more than it is.

I guess I see this as two, separate conversations, or maybe even three. 

1) KP is gone!!!!!!!!!! (Some are saddened by this, but I am "WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!")

2) That's all they could get for him???? (I believe yes, but that might be because of my opinion on #1). 

3) These new guys are not exciting at all and bring new problems, not solutions (some are trying to argue this - I'm not one of them. I'm concerned. But, I think I'm cautiously hopeful that they're right about it, probably because of my takes on 1 and 2 shading me towards relief and my diehard Mavs fandom shading me towards hope).

(02-14-2022, 12:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I guess I see this as two, separate conversations, or maybe even three. 

1) KP is gone!!!!!!!!!! (Some are saddened by this, but I am "WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!")

2) That's all they could get for him???? (I believe yes, but that might be because of my opinion on #1). 

3) These new guys are not exciting at all and bring new problems, not solutions (some are trying to argue this - I'm not one of them. I'm concerned. But, I think I'm cautiously hopeful that they're right about it, probably because of my takes on 1 and 2 shading me towards relief and my diehard Mavs fandom shading me towards hope).
I laid out where I am in all this as I've been trying to break down my upsettedness in the Mavs News thread.

1 - Right there with you, I can't agree with you more.

2 - I feel over the course of Nico's tenure, there was a possibility of more, all speculation, and I was always going to be upset with the return seeing now what he did return, there's just been so many waa-waa-waa-waaaaaaaaaaaa moments in the last 10 years, I'm SO freakin ready for the once-in-a-while good news report (it doesn't have to be 2018 draft-like good news either, just something going in our favor. This is also explained in my post in Mavs News.

3 - Man, I just want more talent on this team.

(02-14-2022, 12:36 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: 1 - Right there with you, I can't agree with you more.

2 - I feel over the course of Nico's tenure, there was a possibility of more, all speculation, and I was always going to be upset with the return seeing now what he did return, there's just been so many waa-waa-waa-waaaaaaaaaaaa moments in the last 10 years, I'm SO freakin ready for the once-in-a-while good news report (it doesn't have to be 2018 draft-like good news either, just something going in our favor. This is also explained in my post in Mavs News.

3 - Man, I just want more talent on this team.

So we agree on everything!!!! Woo!