MavsBoard
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=1765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 02:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: At the time of the trade, EVERYONE should be viewed as they are who they are, not just our players (at least when dealing with vets). That's what I'm trying to get across. Explaining the hopes and vision, doesn't come into play until after they start playing in our uniform.

Right....and we traded a 28.3% three point shooter who hasn't been available for many games for two 31.0% and 31.9% three point shooters who haven't played a lot either.

Decent trade.

(02-11-2022, 04:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: ESPN gave the Wizards an A- and Dallas a D on the trade.

Ha! Terrible eval! KP is not an A- no matter how you look at it. Hahahaha....time will reveal the truth.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - dirkfansince1998 - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 04:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: ESPN gave the Wizards an A- and Dallas a D on the trade.

When the Mavs traded for KP it was B+. B- for the Knicks. When the Mavs traded Barnes to the Kings they received an A. Mavs got an A for the Curry-Richardson trade.
Seems like they are completly off on most Mavs related roster stuff.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 05:49 PM)Jym Wrote: Not that I was completely against dumping KP. I would have even included an asset like Green to dump him with little to no future money coming back over this current deal

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to express. The more I read notes from the disgruntled, the more I realize it is the middle ground of this trade that has people seeing red.

They think “either dump the guy or keep the guy. Don’t trade him for two other players that suck just as bad if not worse and who don’t come off the cap this summer.”

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - cow - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 07:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: They think “either dump the guy or keep the guy. Don’t trade him for two other players that suck just as bad if not worse and who don’t come off the cap this summer.”

It's more about ripping the bandage off all at once.  My assumption is we'll want to dump Bertans sooner rather than later and he will be expensive to get off of.    Spending a pick for the trade is just salt on the wound.  We can argue the specifics of the Toronto trade that has been floated, but even if you don't think we'd have gotten a FRP back, I'd take Dragic + filler for KP straight up over Dinwiddie (Cuban's prize) and another of the worst contracts in the league.

(02-11-2022, 06:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Ha! Terrible eval! KP is not an A- no matter how you look at it. Hahahaha....time will reveal the truth.

I wouldn't give it an A either but they did turn two terrible contracts (one with a personality conflict and one who couldn't get minutes for an 11th seed into salary that will expire sooner, might be able to contribute more and into a pick.  I'd still call that a C- to the Mavericks F.

I called the Josh Richardson trade an F when it happened and scoffed at the idea went it was floated on these boards so I'm obviously right.  Let's just forget about my infatuation with THT though.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - DallasMaverick - 02-11-2022

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Wizards-coach-Pop-nailed-post-trade-14850937.php

(02-11-2022, 09:21 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Wizards-coach-Pop-nailed-post-trade-14850937.php

Quote:“Pop is a good scout,” Brooks said. “He nailed it on him when I talked to him over the summer after we made the trade. He said, ‘He’s more than a shooter, the guy is a player. He can put it on the floor, he finishes around the rim, he competes, he contests shots, great guy. A little bit of a smart aleck.’”

“We love him,” Brooks said. “I love coaching him. I hope to coach him for a long time. I like his energy. I like his toughness. Like Pop said and like we all know now, he’s not just a jump shooter. He does that at a high, high, high, high level you don’t see often with his length (6-foot-10) … but he also knows how to play and has toughness. He just has this mentality that he’s going to make the next shot no matter how many times he’s missed the prior one.

Asked how common it was for NBA coaches to offer scouting reports on a traded player, Popovich said, “I don’t know what other people do, but we love Davis and we want him to be successful. Just not as successful as he was against us (with 23 points on 7-of-7 shooting in a 124-122 loss to the Spurs on Oct. 26, a performance he followed up Wednesday by hitting four 3-pointers on his way to 21 points).

“He’s a wonderful, wonderful young man, and he’s paid his dues … and grew and developed, and now he is reaping some rewards from all the work he did. I just wanted to give Scotty everything I could to try to (help) him continue to be successful here. He’s great, great kid, and Scotty isn’t bad, either.”

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Jym - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 07:14 PM)cow Wrote: It's more about ripping the bandage off all at once.  My assumption is we'll want to dump Bertans sooner rather than later and he will be expensive to get off of.    Spending a pick for the trade is just salt on the wound.  We can argue the specifics of the Toronto trade that has been floated, but even if you don't think we'd have gotten a FRP back, I'd take Dragic + filler for KP straight up over Dinwiddie (Cuban's prize) and another of the worst contracts in the league.

Still skeptical about that Raptors offer but if it was the reality then it's a bummer we couldn't just make it a 3 team deal
Dragic + 1st rounder go to the Wizards for Dinwiddie
In what other world would the Wizards get a first rounder for him? They have to jump on that you'd think.
Whatever contract filler we would get back from the Raptors wouldn't nearly as toxic of a deal as Bertans
I really think we're going to end up using an asset to dump him at some point in the next year or 2

(02-11-2022, 09:46 PM)Jym Wrote: as toxic of a deal as Bertans
I really think we're going to end up using an asset to dump him at some point in the next year or 2

I truly have no idea where this thought process comes from that is spreading across this board. What is this grounded in? A single bad year of shooting (yet still 3% better than KP from three!) on limited minutes?

(02-11-2022, 09:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I truly have no idea where this thought process comes from that is spreading across this board. What is this grounded in? A single bad year of shooting (yet still 3% better than KP from three!) on limited minutes?

He earned his limited minutes based on his play.  Let that sink in, he couldn't get burn for the 11th seed Wizards.  A single bad year of shooting is a disaster when that's his only appreciable skill.   Besides shooting better than KP from three, what else did he do better?

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Tyler - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 10:04 PM)cow Wrote: He earned his limited minutes based on his play.  Let that sink in, he couldn't get burn for the 11th seed Wizards.  A single bad year of shooting is a disaster when that's his only appreciable skill.   Besides shooting better than KP from three, what else did he do better?

“We generate a lot of corner threes, and Davis should do really well as a result,” says Cuban. "Even in a down year, he is shooting 57 percent from the corners and has shot more than 56 percent from the corners four of the past five years.”

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/mark-cuban-exclusive-dallas-mavs-trade-porzingis-dinwiddie-wizards-luka-doncic#gid=ci029998e4c000263c&pid=usatsi_17494304

(02-11-2022, 10:22 PM)Tyler Wrote: “We generate a lot of corner threes, and Davis should do really well as a result,” says Cuban. "Even in a down year, he is shooting 57 percent from the corners and has shot more than 56 percent from the corners four of the past five years.”

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/mark-cuban-exclusive-dallas-mavs-trade-porzingis-dinwiddie-wizards-luka-doncic#gid=ci029998e4c000263c&pid=usatsi_17494304

Yes, I've read that when it was posted before.  I've even mentioned that I think he'll shoot better here.  And?

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - audiosway - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 05:49 PM)cow Wrote: If we do give Jalen a huge contract, it's going to be really interesting to see who's patience runs out first.  Cuban paying the tax for current roster makeup or Luka's on a non-contending playoff squad.

This is probably not going to be a popular thought. And I say this as someone who absolutely LOVES Jalen. I don't think they should pay him. They have leverage with him right now. Simply because he has said he wants to stay in Dallas. If he will take a reasonable deal you do it. But, if he has a lot of suitors which I think he will you get involved in a S&T to get better fitting pieces.

He's one of the few assets they have. The benefit you have with Kidd is that he can coach up an average to above average guard to look good with Luka. But, if they can get say a wing that is on the level of what Brunson brings at guard now you have DFS and a wing to play the 3/4 positions. It just opens things up considerably. Just my take.

(02-11-2022, 10:38 PM)audiosway Wrote: This is probably not going to be a popular thought. And I say this as someone who absolutely LOVES Jalen. I don't think they should pay him. They have leverage with him right now. Simply because he has said he wants to stay in Dallas. If he will take a reasonable deal you do it. But, if he has a lot of suitors which I think he will you get involved in a S&T to get better fitting pieces.

He's one of the few assets they have. The benefit you have with Kidd is that he can coach up an average to above average guard to look good with Luka. But, if they can get say a wing that is on the level of what Brunson brings at guard now you have DFS and a wing to play the 3/4 positions. It just opens things up considerably. Just my take.

The only way you are going to get value on a S&T for Jalen now is if the team is cap strapped.  New York fits that description but the Piston have a ton of cap space.  And I don't think a S&T at this juncture is going to give much value back.  And I don't think Jalen should take a discount.  This is his first and maybe last crack at generational wealth.  Beyond that, he's earned it.  That's coming from me, someone who really didn't like him his first three years.

I do share the thought that he is more limited than his regular season numbers show as I think better teams will be able to put the clamps on him and abuse him defensively on the other end, but the Mavs just don't have a lot of better options at this point.  I do think the upside of Luka/Jalen is probably Dame/CJ, but that's better than nothing and it's not like we have another Jalen on a rookie contract waiting in the wings.  Windhorst did mention that he hears a lot of teams talking about Jalen, more so than any non-superstar that he can remember.  It's also a weak free agency class.  Jalen improves every year.  The $18-20m numbers don't scare me as much anymore.  I judge contract value on what it would take to move him and in Jalen's case, I think he'd be easy to move and certainly a nice piece to add to a bigger trade should the opportunity ever present itself.

Jalen, Dorian and Luka is a fun core to cheer for.  A trio we watched grow before our very eyes.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - audiosway - 02-12-2022

(02-11-2022, 10:52 PM)cow Wrote: The only way you are going to get value on a S&T for Jalen now is if the team is cap strapped.  New York fits that description but the Piston have a ton of cap space.  And I don't think a S&T at this juncture is going to give much value back.  And I don't think Jalen should take a discount.  This is his first and maybe last crack at generational wealth.  Beyond that, he's earned it.  That's coming from me, someone who really didn't like him his first three years.

I do share the thought that he is more limited than his regular season numbers show as I think better teams will be able to put the clamps on him and abuse him defensively on the other end, but the Mavs just don't have a lot of better options at this point.  I do think the upside of Luka/Jalen is probably Dame/CJ, but that's better than nothing and it's not like we have another Jalen on a rookie contract waiting in the wings.  Windhorst did mention that he hears a lot of teams talking about Jalen, more so than any non-superstar that he can remember.  It's also a weak free agency class.  Jalen improves every year.  The $18-20m numbers don't scare me as much anymore.  I judge contract value on what it would take to move him and in Jalen's case, I think he'd be easy to move and certainly a nice piece to add to a bigger trade should the opportunity ever present itself.

Jalen, Dorian and Luka is a fun core to cheer for.  A trio we watched grow before our very eyes.

Funny that you mention that. I came back here to comment that I was just thinking about him not bringing much back as a S&T. In that case I'm all into signing him and building him up for the TDL next year. I still love Jalen. I think he deserves getting paid as he's a great young player.

That said, I really feel that the league is built on winning with mid sized guys that can dribble, shoot, and defend. I think the days of big men ruling the league are gone unless they can dribble and create a shot. That's why I was glad to see KP go. I seriously think that Jalen will become a liability at times in the playoffs. Unless, he learns some of what Barea could do. That would change my opinion of it. But, if he doesn't I would rather build him up to flip him for a wing player.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Branduil - 02-12-2022

I don't know how much Brunson can still improve or if he can be a reliable playmaker in the playoffs, but trading him really isn't an option now, we'd get pennies on the dollar. The Mavs need to keep any assets they have and be ready to trade for a 2nd star when they can. You don't get the 2nd star with powder, you get it with assets.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - cow - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 12:06 AM)Branduil Wrote: I don't know how much Brunson can still improve or if he can be a reliable playmaker in the playoffs, but trading him really isn't an option now, we'd get pennies on the dollar. The Mavs need to keep any assets they have and be ready to trade for a 2nd star when they can. You don't get the 2nd star with powder, you get it with assets.

I think being more aggressive with his three point shot and improving the percentage would take him to the next level.  He's so good with his drives that he passes up a bunch of open looks from deep.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - cow - 02-12-2022

https://deadspin.com/the-mavericks-are-a-mess-1848526060

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - fifteenth - 02-12-2022

(02-12-2022, 12:41 AM)cow Wrote: https://deadspin.com/the-mavericks-are-a-mess-1848526060

I thought Deadspin used to do journalism of some sort. Maybe I'm  not familiar with their work these days. This is just a fan post with opinion stacked upon opinion. Is this the same guy who did that ridiculous race piece?