MavsBoard
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=1765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Borkhan - 02-11-2022

The bottom line is, that mavs exchanged one half-star injury prone player  for two non-star injury prone players. The downside is, that, when healthy, those two are playing much worse than healthy KP was; the fact that  mavs even gave a pick for this sour wine buying is an insult to common sense. It reminds me of an old joke of what is a bravery: to urinate through somebodys door lock and after that knock on this door and ask how long did it reach....

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Chicagojk - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 06:38 AM)Borkhan Wrote: The bottom line is, that mavs exchanged one half-star injury prone player  for two non-star injury prone players. The downside is, that, when healthy, those two are playing much worse than healthy KP was; the fact that  mavs even gave a pick for this sour wine buying is an insult to common sense. It reminds me of an old joke of what is a bravery: to urinate through somebodys door lock and after that knock on this door and ask how long did it reach....

Tearing the band aid off.  The Mavs leadership clearly lost faith in KP ever being the player they thought he could be.

My issue, in addition to the players we received, was in theory a healthy KP gave me hope that we were not too far from the other top teams in the league.   Not quite there but close.  Now that he is gone, reality is we are not close to PHX, Memphis, Golden State, a healthy Clipper team.   And the route to get to that level is really murky now.  Maybe, they are right, and we never would have gotten to that level with KP.   But now that hope is gone and reality looks a lot more bleak to me on how we get to the level of those other teams.   It not just about the Mavs, it is how we compete against the leagues best.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Winter - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 06:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: My issue, in addition to the players we received, was in theory a healthy KP gave me hope that we were not too far from the other top teams in the league

See, I never felt that. I never felt he was a real difference-maker. Maybe if he had been consistently good and been without lingering injury... but he was neither of those things.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 02-11-2022

The only thing I'll miss with KP is his rim protection.
Other than Kleber, Mavs don't have any.

(02-11-2022, 07:21 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: The only thing I'll miss with KP is his rim protection.
Other than Kleber, Mavs don't have any.

Yes, it's a gap we need to fix. The FO must have thought Moses was not a player that was ever going to fix that. But it's likely we still have work to do at that position.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 04:37 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: KOGeek from The Ringer says the Raptors offer was Dragic + 1st. Haha I´m telling you Cuban did this trade for Bertans/Dinwiddie over Dragic, because he seriously and legitimately believes he improved the team more with Bertans/Dinwiddie.

I believe the same thing. 

Let's watch things play out over the next year or so and see who is right.

(02-11-2022, 06:38 AM)Borkhan Wrote: The downside is, that, when healthy, those two are playing much worse than healthy KP was

Yeah my opinion is the opposite. KP may stuff a stat sheet better when healthy and at his best, but I would take the other two players at their best and healthy every single time.

(02-11-2022, 07:21 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: The only thing I'll miss with KP is his rim protection.

Yep, this is the only thing that best and healthy KP brought that the other players when best and healthy cannot bring.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - JamesConway912 - 02-11-2022

Bobby Marks on the Lowe podcast said he thought until wednesday night that KP was gonna end up in TOR.

Kp for Dragic, salary filler, future 1st was what he heard. Called it a salary dump.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Mavs2021 - 02-11-2022

(02-11-2022, 08:13 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I believe the same thing. 

Let's watch things play out over the next year or so and see who is right.

I could now point out that the Mavs could simply have taken Dragic + Birch + 1st round for Porzingis, then called the Wizards and offered Dragic for Dinwiddie straight up, and the Wizards would have said yes. Then offered Birch + Moses + Burke + Boban for Bertans and the Wizards again would have said yes.

As retarded as both of these two deals are from the Mavs POV, y ou´d still have your precious Dinwiddie + Bertans PLUS the Raptors 1st round pick.

(02-11-2022, 08:37 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I could now point out that the Mavs could simply have taken Dragic + Birch + 1st round for Porzingis, then called the Wizards and offered Dragic for Dinwiddie straight up, and the Wizards would have said yes. Then offered Birch + Moses + Burke + Boban for Bertans and the Wizards again would have said yes.

Do you work for the WAS front office?

(02-11-2022, 08:33 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Bobby Marks on the Lowe podcast said he thought until wednesday night that KP was gonna end up in TOR.

Kp for Dragic, salary filler, future 1st was what he heard. Called it a salary dump.

Mavs made the right choice IMO. They took the deal I would have taken. I really think DB an d SD are playoff rotation caliber players. 

I could be wrong of course, as I don't know the future. We'll see what happens.

(02-11-2022, 08:33 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Bobby Marks on the Lowe podcast said he thought until wednesday night that KP was gonna end up in TOR.

That is a lie. It was never offered and it is also a worse deal than eating three years of Dinwiddie/Bertans.

Never change Mark Cuban, dumbest owner in all of sports.

Cracks me up that Ujiri must have sat there with this idea (Dragic/Birch+1st for Porzingis) in his head the whole year. The idea how to fix the center position in case the Raptors overachieved this year. When it became clear the team is good already, Ujiri put the plan in motion.

He probably done all his research on the Mavs true feelings about Porzingis, like a true professional GM. Ujiri thought he had a very reasonable offer (full immediate cap relief + 1st round pick) under the circumstances. He calls the Mavs and they say NO. Then Ujiri is left scrambling and needs to pay the same 1st round pick to get Thad Young from the Spurs. 

Next day he sees that the Mavs traded a 2nd round pick for three years of Bertans/Dinwiddie. And you wonder why other front offices don´t want to play with the Mavs regularly? You can´t reason with crazy people.

(02-11-2022, 08:38 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Do you work for the WAS front office?

No I work for the department of common sense.

(02-11-2022, 08:49 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: That is a lie. It was never offered and it is also a worse deal than eating three years of Dinwiddie/Bertans

Do you have your own podcast? If you're smarter and better informed than Marks, we should be following you.

(02-11-2022, 08:51 AM)Winter Wrote: Do you have your own podcast? If you're smarter and better informed than Marks, we should be following you.

Yes I do. Called Detect Sarcasm 101.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Hypermav - 02-11-2022

I want to see the new guys play first, give them a chance to mesh with the team.  They might respond well to the change in teams and style of play with Luka.

If the Mavs determined they cannot get where they want to go with KP, then they have to rip the band aid and admit the mistake.  Hard for Cuban to do sometimes.

My biggest concern was lack of a second trade to upgrade the center position.  I guess nothing "fair" was out there.

(02-11-2022, 09:03 AM)Hypermav Wrote: If the Mavs determined they cannot get where they want to go with KP, then they have to rip the band aid and admit the mistake.  Hard for Cuban to do sometimes.

Probably a function of new leadership. I think Nico convinced Cuban of this course which requires eating a TON of humble pie. But it was the right choice IMO.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Chicagojk - 02-11-2022

It was depressing listening to that and them saying how much more difficult the West will be next year (not relation to the Mavs).  We all knew the West should be much tougher next year, but what is depressing is where the Mavs standing will be for this.   Maybe it wouldn't have been any better if we kept KP and if he was healthy, but the path to reach the top of the West just feels really far away right now.

(02-11-2022, 09:03 AM)Hypermav Wrote: My biggest concern was lack of a second trade to upgrade the center position.  I guess nothing "fair" was out there.

I think you are right on this....OR the Mavs are planning to play small. They might see DB as a CENTER. It will be interesting how the new players are used, especially DB.

(02-11-2022, 09:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It was depressing listening to that and them saying how much more difficult the West will be next year (not relation to the Mavs).  We all knew the West should be much tougher next year, but what is depressing is where the Mavs standing will be for this.   Maybe it wouldn't have been any better if we kept KP and if he was healthy, but the path to reach the top of the West just feels really far away right now

Tougher because of LAC specifically?