MavsBoard
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=1765)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - fifteenth - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:13 PM)cow Wrote: The point is that you can't easily move either contract so they are here 2-3 more years after this season. 

See below. 

(02-10-2022, 05:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's because they can be separated and combined with other, not sucky things to make marginal improvements that don't require 5 players coming back from the other team. Those deals don't actually happen in real life all that often. 

MOST Max level guys are GOOD, and not available. Yes, Westbrook has been traded, but it's always for an equally bad contract. Even as an expiring deal, KP's deal was going to be hard to move without some poopoo coming back. They ripped the bandaid off in the hopes of inching towards being more flexible...just not in a way that signals an upcoming cap space year (I'd think many around here would be happy about that). 

If you don't want the money to expire earlier, then this was the way to go (though I hate the two players they got just as much as you do).

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - cow - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:22 PM)fifteenth Wrote: See below. 

I'm actively reading this thread, thanks.

(02-10-2022, 05:24 PM)cow Wrote: I'm actively reading this thread, thanks.

ha ha!! my bad, pal

(02-10-2022, 05:25 PM)fifteenth Wrote: ha ha!! my bad, pal

I love you.  I'm just salty as fuck.  Over KP who I hate.  Thanks, Mark.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - Winter - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 04:57 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: serious question:  have you watched Dinwiddie or Bertans play a single game this year?

You seem to be stuck on KP being undesirable without realizing we are getting two guys who are MORE undesirable in NBA circles.  Google any basketball podcast over the last six months.  Bertans is top  5 on every worst contracts list.

They are doing cartwheels in Washington right now and that's with low expectations for KP.

(02-10-2022, 05:11 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: Trades are made based on asset values.  Based on everything I've read and listened to (and to be honest I follow the rest of the NBA more than the Mavs now since I dont have Bally but I do have NBA ticket), Bertans and Dinwiddie are more negative value than KP is.  Mavs should have gotten compensation.

Sure I think Bertans and Dinwiddie could be better here.  To me, that doesnt change that the Mavs still got shafted.

You dont trade the 7th pick in the draft for the 14th pick in the draft and turn around and say this guy we are drafting at 14th is more likely to help us than the guy we would have taken at 7th.  So see it all makes sense.  We're super smart.

KP only HAD asset value. It crumbled with his heath... and was only trending downward the less he played.

The problem was acquiring KP in the first place ...  that's where the Mavs made a bad decision and got shafted with a tough contract.  That happens in the NBA. I'm not saying the picture is all rosy now. I'm saying you have two players who will have some value to the Mavs actual basketball team assuming they play. 

This team may not be any better now. But we pretty much knew what the ceiling was with KP.... and that there was a possibility of a serious long-term injury that could potentially create greater problems and even less value.

(02-10-2022, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: Over KP who I hate. 

cow cow...let me help you reframe this whole KP thing a bit...I think this will help...

KP IS GONE!!!!!!

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - Chicagojk - 02-10-2022

I am a mavs fan.   I will just say prove me wrong, Dinwiddie.   I haven't watched a lot of him but he was not the guy I was envisioning joining this team.  Again, this totally feels like a Cuban push.  Hope I am wrong.

I would feel better if we would have found a way to bring in a center.  Powell will do his work, but he is overmatched as your head guy...especially with the bigs who we may play in the playoffs.  Chriss has had moments, but I am not sure if he is ready for an elevated role.   We are just so limited with inside scoring outside of rim running.  It is just going to be really hard to break even at center against most teams.   

Obviously the Mavs lost trust in KP being able to stay healthy.   If they still had trust in his health, they could have been more patient.   Hopefully dr. Cuban is more educated from his Nash diagnosis.  Ha.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:28 PM)Winter Wrote: The problem was acquiring KP in the first place ...  that's where the Mavs made a bad decision and got shafted with a tough contract. 

Yes!

The shit sandwich was going to get eaten, from the second he signed that extension. Waiting it out until he expired with Luka on the roster was always the dumbest possible solution. They finally realized that, and now the team can move forward. 

Do I wish they'd have done better with this? YES!
Do I think it will be easy to take the next step? NO, but hopefully easiER. 

My biggest complaint is that they waited so long, honestly. We could have a year of progress by now. It was clear this was coming about a month into last season, imho.

(02-10-2022, 05:31 PM)fifteenth Wrote: cow cow...let me help you reframe this whole KP thing a bit...I think the will help...

KP IS GONE!!!!!!

I'll be happy once all of Latvia and New York is off our team.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - soog - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:17 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Two smart guys, you and @"hakeemfan", say that we should have waited. OK. But I don't understand why. What would be the benefit of waiting? Would KP's contract have become easier to move in the summer? Would his max contract be more helpful in trades this summer than the two smaller ones?

You wait for nothing.  You wait for an end to your bad decision.  You don’t make a second bad decision to get out of your first bad decision.

Mark my words - neither Dinwiddie nor Bertans are being moved this summer or next.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - KillerLeft - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:32 PM)cow Wrote: I'll happy once all of Latvia and New York is off our team.

lolololol

It is pretty funny that the two Latvians got traded for each other. I have to admit that.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - IamDougieFresh - 02-10-2022

So let me get this straight...

We traded KP

Got back shit contracts

And Dwight is still here

[Image: step-brothers-what-the-fuck-happened.gif]

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - haveitall - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:28 PM)Winter Wrote: KP only HAD asset value. It crumbled with his heath... and was only trending downward the less he played.

The problem was acquiring KP in the first place ...  that's where the Mavs made a bad decision and got shafted with a tough contract.  That happens in the NBA. I'm not saying the picture is all rosy now. I'm saying you have two players who will have some value to the Mavs actual basketball team assuming they play. 

This team may not be any better now. But we pretty much knew what the ceiling was with KP.... and that there was a possibility of a serious long-term injury that could potentially create greater problems and even less value.

Am I the only that sees zero value in Dinwiddie and Bertans?  Maybe as 14th 15th players in a rotation.  Forget the huge contracts, they are just not good players in a 9 man rotation.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - Mavs2021 - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: I love you.  I'm just salty as fuck.  Over KP who I hate.  Thanks, Mark.

Yeah, I mean this is not about Porzingis´production. It´s not even about his ACL brothers Dinwiddie/Bertans. There is simply no way it shouldn´t be us getting another asset out of this deal, whether it is a pick, Hachimura, Avdija, Harrell (before he was traded) or Bryant.

Be honest with yourself for one moment:

If I told you the core deal is Dinwiddie/Bertans for Porzinigis and you need to attach more value somewhere to balance out the trade; how many attempts would you have needed to come up with the idea to attach a Mavs pick?

Not even the Wizards fans would have gotten that idea. I guess good on their GM Sheppard to have the audacity to even ask for something like that.

Pat Riley probably would have told Sheppard to hold the call, jumped on his private jet, met with the Wizards GM personally, to hang up on Sheppard´s phone, because hanging up his own wasn´t enough. Then he would have stoned him with all his championship rings to teach him some manners and respect.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - MaxiThreeba - 02-10-2022

The more I look at this deal the more I think they think Dinwiddie brings real value as a 6th man that can initiate an offense.  I also think that having Dinwiddie handle the 6th man/bench lead guard role further cements that they see Jalen as Luka's starting backcourt mate going forward and are going to pay up this offseason.  Also Cubes probably gives Luka the creeps so he needed to add someone to go clubbing with.

Bertans is an absolute mess of a contract/player though and I can't believe he is a part of this deal without Washington having to attach an asset.  That's the piece that makes zero sense to me.

THJ is 100% out the door this offseason.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - Hypermav - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:34 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: So let me get this straight...

We traded KP

Got back shit contracts

And Dwight is still here

[Image: step-brothers-what-the-fuck-happened.gif]

Dwight is all powerful apparently

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - Kammrath - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:42 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Bertans is an absolute mess of a contract/player

I don't think this will be proven to be true. There is too much of a history of him being an incredibly valuable player. I think as this plays out we will see his value.

(02-10-2022, 05:43 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Dwight is all powerful apparently

Diamonds are forever.

RE: TRADE: Dinwiddie+Bertans to DAL | KP+2nd to WAS - haveitall - 02-10-2022

(02-10-2022, 05:42 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: The more I look at this deal the more I think they think Dinwiddie brings real value as a 6th man that can initiate an offense.  I also think that having Dinwiddie handle the 6th man/bench lead guard role further cements that they see Jalen as Luka's starting backcourt mate going forward and are going to pay up this offseason.  Also Cubes probably gives Luka the creeps so he needed to add someone to go clubbing with.

Bertans is an absolute mess of a contract/player though and I can't believe he is a part of this deal without Washington having to attach an asset.  That's the piece that makes zero sense to me.

THJ is 100% out the door this offseason.
They both suck. KP was our second leading scorer, and a defensive anchor.  Oft injured? Yes.  But I'd rather take half a season of KP than a full perfectly healthy season of Bertans/Diinwiddie.

(02-10-2022, 05:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: There is too much of a history of him being an incredibly valuable player. 

There is?  If his shooting numbers remain flat, I'm pretty sure I could give you what he gives you night in and night out.