MavsBoard
Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson (/showthread.php?tid=133)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - cow - 01-25-2021

(01-25-2021, 04:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: He’s still improving. It’s not like he’s a finished product.

He's still a high floor, low ceiling type of player though.

RE: Jalen 'The Apostle' Brunson: Holy Moly - Fuerza1 - 01-25-2021

(01-23-2021, 10:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: His PER of 17 is third on the team behind Luka and KP.  His On Court and On-Off are second on the team +8/+9.2.  His TS% at .620 (.611 before last night) is second on the team.  But unlike #1 and #3 (Maxi and WCS), Brunson creates his own shots.  He creates 75.7% of his 2's (Third on the team behind Luka and Burke) and 23.1% of his 3's (Second on the team behind Luka).  Yes, he's taking .9 more FG attempts per 36 than last year, but right now with his TS% as good as it is, who do you want taking those shots instead.  Is it "forcing" if they go in?

Another really encouraging thing that I've written about before is the improvement of Luka and Brunson in shared time.  Last year they were a net negative in their time together.  This year (8 games and 89 minutes) the pair is +17.  Brunson is easily Luka's best net rating pairing in this small sample size.  

Brunson (at least the version we have thus far this season) is WAY down my list of players I want to criticize and you have to look really hard to find anything to criticize him for.

http://gph.is/23yQ5oe

Btw, Luka + Brunson were actually a net POSITIVE last year at +2.6 in only 202 minutes total (they have already played 110 minutes together this year in 1/5 the time). 

I would also like to add that Brunson leads the entire Mavericks team in 4th quarter scoring at 5 ppg. For perspective, Luka is technically second with 4.9 ppg but with more shots and less efficiency. Do we want Luka taking less shots in crunch time? Don't think so.

I think Brunson's and Luka's championship pedigree bodes well and could possibly be the next Dirk/JET 4th quarter 1-2 punch with some KP mixed in there. Curious to see if Carlisle plays each closing line-up by ear or forms a more stable group.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1352834822092238849

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Scott41theMavs - 01-25-2021

(01-25-2021, 05:08 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 10:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: His PER of 17 is third on the team behind Luka and KP. His On Court and On-Off are second on the team +8/+9.2. His TS% at .620 (.611 before last night) is second on the team. But unlike #1 and #3 (Maxi and WCS), Brunson creates his own shots. He creates 75.7% of his 2's (Third on the team behind Luka and Burke) and 23.1% of his 3's (Second on the team behind Luka). Yes, he's taking .9 more FG attempts per 36 than last year, but right now with his TS% as good as it is, who do you want taking those shots instead. Is it "forcing" if they go in?

Another really encouraging thing that I've written about before is the improvement of Luka and Brunson in shared time. Last year they were a net negative in their time together. This year (8 games and 89 minutes) the pair is +17. Brunson is easily Luka's best net rating pairing in this small sample size.

Brunson (at least the version we have thus far this season) is WAY down my list of players I want to criticize and you have to look really hard to find anything to criticize him for.

http://gph.is/23yQ5oe

Btw, Luka + Brunson were actually a net POSITIVE last year at +2.6 in only 202 minutes total (they have already played 110 minutes together this year in 1/5 the time).

I would also like to add that Brunson leads the entire Mavericks team in 4th quarter scoring at 5 ppg. For perspective, Luka is technically second with 4.9 ppg but with more shots and less efficiency. Do we want Luka taking less shots in crunch time? Don't think so.

I think Brunson's and Luka's championship pedigree bodes well and could possibly be the next Dirk/JET 4th quarter 1-2 punch with some KP mixed in there. Curious to see if Carlisle plays each closing line-up by ear or forms a more stable group.

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1352834822092238849

As I've said, I'm finally with you on this.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Fuerza1 - 01-26-2021

So as I stated above, Brunson led the team in 4Q scoring before tonight's game vs DEN.

Brunson had 12 pts w/ zero missed shots tonight, and is shooting 50/40/90 on the season. Why did he have like only 2 touches and no shot attempts in the 4Q? Why was he on the bench for the final 7+ minutes? 

Do you want your best 4Q, clutch players playing in the 4Q or in the clutch?

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Thukydides - 01-26-2021

A 50/40/90 guy deserves to take at least 15 shots per game, regardless of anything really. That´s it. End of story.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Mapka - 01-27-2021

(01-26-2021, 09:14 AM)Thukydides Wrote: A 50/40/90 guy deserves to take at least 15 shots per game, regardless of anything really. That´s it. End of story.

You could argue, every member of the 50/40/90 club has taken to few shots. XD

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dirkfansince1998 - 01-27-2021

(01-26-2021, 09:14 AM)Thukydides Wrote: A 50/40/90 guy deserves to take at least 15 shots per game, regardless of anything really. That´s it. End of story.

Question is if he would still be a 50/40/90 guy with a different shot selection. Brunson only takes wide open 3s. He is not going to turn into THJ. Same for his pull up and drive game. The shot selection is exactly what makes him a good and reliable player.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - ThisIStheYear - 01-28-2021

Let’s get this guy max minutes. It’s time. At least he can do something.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - cow - 01-28-2021

(01-28-2021, 12:17 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Let’s get this guy max minutes. It’s time. At least he can do something.

Not a great game for him but I do like the toughness he shows, especially rebounding the ball tonight.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Fuerza1 - 02-11-2021

Amongst those with similar attempts, Brunson is #3 in the entire NBA in finishing drives at a 60% clip. 

Furthermore, Brunson is one of the elite PnR players in the entire league, according to these tweets.

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1359944289544003586

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/1359942893423755266

#FreeJalenBrunson

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - ItsGoTime - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 06:21 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: #FreeJalenBrunson
From what? Playing 30 mins in a game and at the end of game?

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - ClutchDirk - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 06:24 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: From what? Playing 30 mins in a game and at the end of game?

Luka holding him back from being an All-star...

(02-11-2021, 06:24 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: From what? Playing 30 mins in a game and at the end of game?

Jeff Van Gundy from last night: "Talking with others around the league, Jalen Brunson is without a doubt a starting guard in this league."

Jalen Brunson = elite finisher and PnR player, currently playing 23.7 minutes per game, not starting.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - omahen - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 07:33 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Jeff Van Gundy from last night: "Talking with others around the league, Jalen Brunson is without a doubt a starting guard in this league."

Jalen Brunson = elite finisher and PnR player, currently playing 23.7 minutes per game, not starting.

Which is exactly why he has trade value... He is an asset Mavs can afford to lose as he is underused in Mavs system. And lets not forget there are two sides of the court. 

I think Mavs have the luxury to trade one of THJ/JRich/Brunson to improve the big wing or secondary facilitator position where they are still the weakest. Despite his good plays I am still not convinced Brunson is best option next to Luka in the long term. He would have to improve defensively.

(02-11-2021, 07:46 PM)omahen Wrote: Which is exactly why he has trade value... He is an asset Mavs can afford to lose as he is underused in Mavs system. And lets not forget there are two sides of the court. 

I think Mavs have the luxury to trade one of THJ/JRich/Brunson to improve the big wing or secondary facilitator position where they are still the weakest. Despite his good plays I am still not convinced Brunson is best option next to Luka in the long term. He would have to improve defensively.

Let me tell you a story, kid (or respected elder). Once upon a time, Rick Carlisle used to have a 2-playmaker heavy minutes system. He used to say that we always need at least 2 playmakers on the floor together. And it led to some of the league's best ball movement from the offensive end.

But since Luka has been drafted, Carlisle has opted for Moreyball with an "all-for-one, one-for-all" Harden-esque personality. The only real attempt by Carlisle for a secondary playmaker next to Luka was Dennis Smith Jr., a guy who will be in China before long. 

Fast forward to now, and you have an actual, capable "secondary playmaker" (who in many minds can start for several NBA teams) for Luka. In fact, this "secondary playmaker" (lets call him Brunson) is Luka's second best pairing in net rating this season at a +6.8! Despite this fact, Brunson ranks 8th in minutes played w/ Luka compared to his other teammates. 

For perspective, Trey Burke (another guy who is a call away from China) has played more minutes w/ Luka than the Mavs' "second best playmaker" this season. Have we really given this potential 2-playmaker (Luka + Brunson) system a chance? 

When Luka plays with Brunson, good things tend to happen, which is evident in their +6.8 net rating. The ball moves better, and hell, the defense is pretty good too. Luka + Brunson happens to be Luka's best DEFENSIVE pairing too

Brunson is shooting 43% on catch 'n shoot 3's. He is an elite PnR player and rim attacker. IMO, his defense is actually pretty good (see: him stopping Huerter last night with 30 seconds to go, knows how to draw charges). Theoretically, this is the guy you want playing heavy minutes next to Luka but is not.

So yes, he is underused but it does not mean it has to stay that way forever. Everybody and their mom went LoCo 4 RoCo last season (a 30-year old bum putting up Great Depression shooting numbers right now) because "omg he's a perfect fit!" 

Point being, sometimes the guy not wearing a Mavs jersey is not as great as he seems, and perhaps the best option for improvement is right under the coach's nose; IMO, we should give the bird in hand a more consistent shot before dumping him, but I realize that may never happen a la Jae Crowder.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - KillerLeft - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 09:06 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: So yes, he is underused but it does not mean it has to stay that way forever.

I agree with this, as do most people. 

If they decide to start playing him more, I’m all for it. 

If they don’t want to do that, for whatever reason, I’d rather the Mavs cash in for what they can rather than let him walk in free agency when he’s worth more than what they can pay for a guy in the role they currently have him occupying. 

It’s very simple, and again, I don’t have a preference between those two paths. I trust Carlisle to figure it out. To me, the enemy is the middle ground on this one.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - loki - 02-11-2021

Start Brunson and bring DFS off the bench. I don't know if Richardson at the 3 is ideal, but any small drop off in defense/rebounding is probably worth it.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - KillerLeft - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 10:19 PM)loki Wrote: Start Brunson and bring DFS off the bench. I don't know if Richardson at the 3 is ideal, but any small drop off in defense/rebounding is probably worth it.

If we’re ready t have THAT conversation, I’d rather give him Richardson’s spot, tbh.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - loki - 02-11-2021

(02-11-2021, 10:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If we’re ready t have THAT conversation, I’d rather give him Richardson’s spot, tbh.

That's worth considering too. I don't think they're ready to give up on Richardson as starter yet though. And you have to consider what that would do to their chances to re-sign him.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Scott41theMavs - 02-12-2021

(02-11-2021, 10:25 PM)loki Wrote: That's worth considering too. I don't think they're ready to give up on Richardson as starter yet though. And you have to consider what that would do to their chances to re-sign him.

...not to mention royally pissing off his and Luka's agent...