MavsBoard
Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson (/showthread.php?tid=133)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Chicagojk - 04-03-2021

I thought Brunson defense was excellent against Rose last night.  I know Brunson has been in the league for awhile, but I am sure Rose was an idol of his growing up outside of Chicago.   Must be pretty cool no matter how long you have been in the league.

I also thinks this offense is better down the stretch when Jalen touches the ball every possession.  Just gets the ball out of Luka's hands and gets some movement.   I also really like when Jalen brings the ball down and Luka posts ups.   It at least gets the ball closer to the rim instead of the contested three pointers with no penetration.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dynamicalVoid - 04-03-2021

I like Brunson...but need to see him in the playoffs against stiff defenses.

I think the M. Bridges(Phoenix) of the NBA(long defenders) might not just slow him down but completely make him useless in that atmosphere.

If Im Jalen...Im pulling up with another injury this year before playoffs.   He should secure the money before being possibly exposed.

I think he has the dribbling talent and shooting talent to win you games in the regular season...but will a team trade good assets for or pay a guy 20M+ that cant produce in the playoffs?

Big Jalen fan by the way.   Super fun to watch.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Tyler - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 09:47 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I like Brunson...but need to see him in the playoffs against stiff defenses.

[Image: ncaa-video-604531-5ac8b6691efc4.jpg?itok=E3tmbNuz]

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - ClutchDirk - 04-03-2021

Fun Brunson stats...

3 point %               .398
2 point %               .611
EFG %                    .607
Corner 3 %            .515
0-3 foot %             .807
Field goal %          .540 (18th)
2 point %               .611 (16th)
True shooting %   .641 (17th)
Eff. field goal %    .607 (14th)

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - embellisher - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 10:20 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Fun Brunson stats...

3 point %               .398
2 point %               .611
EFG %                    .607
Corner 3 %            .515
0-3 foot %             .807
Field goal %          .540 (18th)
2 point %               .611 (16th)
True shooting %   .641 (17th)
Eff. field goal %    .607 (14th)

JB is definitely talented on the offensive side of the game, but I worry about his defense at starter minutes. 

And like @"dynamicalVoid" and others have said, we need to see if his offense is going to hold up in a long playoff series against a team that has big, defensive guards to throw at him.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - omahen - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 12:25 PM)embellisher Wrote: JB is definitely talented on the offensive side of the game, but I worry about his defense at starter minutes. 

And like @dynamicalVoid and others have said, we need to see if his offense is going to hold up in a long playoff series against a team that has big, defensive guards to throw at him.

Totally agree. Brunson is basically the only one that knows how to punish the opponent if they focus too much on Luka. And is really excellent against weaker defensive opponents. The key for his longterm future will be if he can be a good defender.

Ranked higher on defense than these other guards...

Kemba
Irving
Westbrook
Brown
Wall

And

Richardson
Doncic

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - SleepingHero - 04-03-2021

I am becoming more and more worried about what the Mavs are going to do about Brunson's free agency. They structured his contract in such a way that he won't have RFA status. Going into the summer of '22 if the Mavs don't pay up they could lose him for nothing. Heck even if Brunson was a RFA, I'm unsure if the Mavs are going to pay him anything more than 15mil a year. 

Another wrinkle is that Brunson has a sort of option on his contract this summer. I've seen some places call it a team option (which declining it gives him RFA), and I've seen others call it just an unguaranteed year (in which case waiving him does not give him RFA).

Very puzzling stuff.

(04-03-2021, 01:12 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Another wrinkle is that Brunson has a sort of option on his contract this summer. I've seen some places call it a team option (which declining it gives him RFA), and I've seen others call it just an unguaranteed year (in which case waiving him does not give him RFA).

My understanding is that Brunson is in an identical situation that Chandler Parsons was during his third year in Houston.

Parsons was a second-rounder (pick #38) that Houston signed to a similar 4-year deal with only 3 years guaranteed. But because of the particulars of the CBA, contracts like that for second-rounders make them unrestricted FAs after year 4 but restricted FAs after year 3. Parsons was similarly well-thought-of as a young player, and Houston faced the option of keeping him for that 4th year at a cheap rate or making him a RFA after year 3 and retaining the right to match any offer. They chose option 2, but apparently they weren't counting on a team like Dallas offering him a max deal with various provisions that made it undesirable to match. So Dallas got Parsons, and Houston was roundly mocked for letting a good player go that they could have chosen to keep one more year for the minimum.

Dallas is in a similar situation now with Brunson. If there's enough trust on both sides, Dallas could choose to keep Brunson for cheap in his 4th year. That will free them up to focus on other players this summer, and Dallas could go over the cap to keep Brunson in '22. But the risk is that Brunson could also walk away for nothing in search of a more prominent role elsewhere.

OR

Dallas could make Brunson a RFA this summer. He'd still have a small cap hold, they can sign him using Bird rights, and Dallas would retain the right to match any offer. But they'd also end up filling their cap space a year earlier than they planned. And the risk is that another team like New York that really needs a PG might decide to pony up a huge contract that would really hurt to match.

The way he's been playing lately, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Dallas chooses option #2 and pays Brunson this summer. Reward the good player and lock him up. And the odds will only increase if they feel like he's a better player than the realistic targets in free agency.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - StepBackJay - 04-03-2021

@"F Gump" has said Brunson's deal is not like Parsons and wouldn't be an RFA. Until I hear a media person say anything different my expectation is that Mavs guarantee his final year and offer him a big deal when he becomes a UFA. They could plan to trade him instead, who knows but he seems like a keeper to me.

(04-03-2021, 01:07 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Ranked higher on defense than these other guards...

Kemba
Irving
Westbrook
Brown
Wall

And

Richardson
Doncic

Can you show me where you are seeing the defensive stat numbers?

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=G

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - F Gump - 04-03-2021

Brunson's deal has no option. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed. His last year is simply non-guaranteed (so far). And they aren't going to put him on waivers to get rid of his contract at no cost, which is the only extra that a non-guaranteed contract offers you.

There is no way to make him a RFA.

He will be a UFA in the summer of 2022.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - F Gump - 04-03-2021

(04-03-2021, 02:12 PM)Tyler Wrote: My understanding is that Brunson is in an identical situation that Chandler Parsons was during his third year in Houston.

Parsons was a second-rounder (pick #38) that Houston signed to a similar 4-year deal with only 3 years guaranteed.
But because of the particulars of the CBA, contracts like that for second-rounders make them unrestricted FAs after year 4 but restricted FAs after year 3.  
Your analysis of the ramifications of being a FA in year 3 vs year 4 is accurate. But the information about Parsons is not.

Parsons' contract was 3 years with a Team Option for year 4. Houston (for the reason you outline) chose to decline the TO.

Houston's decision-making proved to be very flawed thinking. They thought they could retain control by making him a UFA. But they failed to recognize the truth that if you aren't willing to pay the player the going market rate, RFA vs UFA is not advantage. And if you are willing to pay it when the time comes, you might as well keep them on the inexpensive salary for an extra year.

(04-03-2021, 03:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: Brunson's deal has no option. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed. His last year is simply non-guaranteed (so far). And they aren't going to put him on waivers to get rid of his contract at no cost, which is the only extra that a non-guaranteed contract offers you.

Ah -- interesting.  Yes, I believe that the RFA rights in his case would only kick in at the end of a contract with 3 years or under. But if the contract doesn't have an option and is simply non-guaranteed (requiring that he be waived), that would indeed negate their ability to make him a RFA. Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, Dallas just has to make Brunson so happy and successful that he'd be crazy to leave. Smile

Couldn't Dallas just say hey here is an offer you can take now and if they come to terms rip up his deal this year and take advantage of a lower caphold? The advantage for Brunson would be locking in bigger money right now. 

Obviously there's risk that some team comes in later and steals him away (remember Morris reneged on a deal) but I doubt that would happen.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dynamicalVoid - 04-03-2021

My issue with Brunson is his size.  And...the fact that he seems to be on peoples radar these days...increasing his value.   

I like Brunson a lot.  Great handles, good shooter, can shake-n-bake, can get to the rim for buckets, high IQ...not to mention he is watching and learning from Luka everyday.   

What are you willing to pay him?  Is his value so high its not reasonable for Dallas to match/offer with Luka on board?

I think Brunson can win you games in regular season.  I think he would be good backup if Luka missed a few games in regular season.   I think he could be good in the first 3 quarters of Playoff atmosphere.   I just worry about late game playoffs if he can produce.  I get it that we have Luka for late game playoffs...but is paying someone 20M+ who POSSIBLY cant produce late game in playoffs worth it?

I say this because I have seen FVV(FVV is a baller) get shut down late game.  It was because of his size.  Cool...I get it...its only one example.   

To clarify...I like Brunson a lot.  I think he is one of the more fun ball handlers in the league.  I want him to succeed.   I just would prefer to see him in playoffs before paying him.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Fuerza1 - 04-05-2021

Jalen Brunson finishes drives at 62.7%, which is tied for #1 in the entire NBA. Who is he tied with? Super duper Greek freak Giannis Antentokounmpo. Other players right behind them: LeBron James and Luka Doncic. I'd say that's ELITE company. 

Brunson is virtually tied with Steph Curry at 64% true shooting, which is yes, as you might have guessed, #1 amongst NBA guards. Ranked #12 overall when you include bigs or wings like Zion, Gobert, MPJ, etc. I'd say that's ELITe company. 

Currently, he holds the BEST on/off defensive rating on the Dallas Mavericks at a +5.4, not bad for a player who really SUCKS on that end of the floor and is an automatic layup line for opposing players? I would imagine it being much worse since NBA teams have just been exposing him all season on defense!!! 

So, here we are. ELITE finisher with ELITE efficiency and is the #1 difference maker on defense on the Mavs roster. Brunson makes $1.8M next season. 

Say it with me true MFFL's, TRADE JALEN BRUNSON!!!

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dirkfansince1998 - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:54 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Jalen Brunson finishes drives at 62.7%, which is tied for #1 in the entire NBA. Who is he tied with? Super duper Greek freak Giannis Antentokounmpo. Other players right behind them: LeBron James and Luka Doncic. I'd say that's ELITE company. 

Brunson is virtually tied with Steph Curry at 64% true shooting, which is yes, as you might have guessed, #1 amongst NBA guards. Ranked #12 overall when you include bigs or wings like Zion, Gobert, MPJ, etc. I'd say that's ELITe company. 

Currently, he holds the BEST on/off defensive rating on the Dallas Mavericks at a +5.4, not bad for a player who really SUCKS on that end of the floor and is an automatic layup line for opposing players? I would imagine it being much worse since NBA teams have just been exposing him all season on defense!!! 

So, here we are. ELITE finisher with ELITE efficiency and is the #1 difference maker on defense on the Mavs roster. Brunson makes $1.8M next season. 

Say it with me true MFFL's, TRADE JALEN BRUNSON!!!

The strawman is alife. Went through the entire thread. Cannot find a single poster that wants to get rid of him. More about asset management and fit. Brunson is the most valuable trade asset (besides Luka/KP). That´s a compliment. He is the 3rd (this season probably 2nd) best player on the roster. Problem is his contract situation. Are we sure that he wants to stay (play a 6th man role)? Can the Mavs match contract offers from other teams? Is it smarter to trade?

Same for his defense. In a large sample size his numbers are solid. Doesn´t mean that he cannot be targeted because of his lack of size and athleticism. That´s not only a problem for him. All undersized guards (even CP3, Curry...) had similar problems in the past.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Mapka - 04-05-2021

(04-03-2021, 03:36 PM)F Gump Wrote: Brunson's deal has no option. Anyone who says otherwise is misinformed. His last year is simply non-guaranteed (so far). And they aren't going to put him on waivers to get rid of his contract at no cost, which is the only extra that a non-guaranteed contract offers you.

He will be a UFA in the summer of 2022.

I'd bet he is offered a extension 'til then. I think he might take it too.