MavsBoard
Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson (/showthread.php?tid=133)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dynamicalVoid - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 12:08 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Brunson is a lot closer to FVV in value than where the average Mav Fan ranks him (which is WAY below his value).    FVV is worth 4/$85 contradct, and he's never even come close to sniffing an All Star game or 3rd Team All NBA nomination.    You don't have to be a star to be an extremely valuable player. 

There's 250 trade proposals on Mavs boards every day with fans tying themselves into knots wondering how they can get ahold of "core players on bad teams".   Here we have one in house that doesn't cost us anything to attain, and he just so happens to be 24 years old, noticeably improving from year to year  and (right now) ridiculously cheap.  He should be valued and appreciated accordingly.

Can I ask you how much you think Terry Rozier's next contract will be?

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - KillerLeft - 03-02-2021

On my rewatch this morning, I opted for the home broadcast (went with @"mavsluvr"'s fine call last night). 

The Magic broadcasters, after years of seeing sub-par PG play hold their team back, spent basically the entire game heaping praise all over Brunson. More than Luka, even. 

"He does so many things well.'
"Great pick and roll player."
"Such a crafty left-hander"

And many more. 

Most players have warts, but I really think we're watching a nice player come into his own here. Good PG play is sort of a hallmark of our Mavs, so we might have slightly unrealistic expectations, kind of like Cowboys fans have for their quarterbacks.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - ItsGoTime - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 12:08 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: There's 250 trade proposals on Mavs boards every day with fans tying themselves into knots wondering how they can get ahold of "core players on bad teams".   Here we have one in house that doesn't cost us anything to attain, and he just so happens to be 24 years old, noticeably improving from year to year  and (right now) ridiculously cheap.  He should be valued and appreciated accordingly.
Because he looks like a GREAT bench floor general, we haven't seen him starting against higher competition at their freshest. The trade proposals are for guys who have seen that competition and are doing well with it. Until JB starts (and I'm not opposed to making that change, but for who is the question), there should be no mention of core anything.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - mavsluvr - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 01:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: On my rewatch this morning, I opted for the home broadcast (went with @mavsluvr's fine call last night).
LOLOL. 

I don't know why, but this still always catches me by surprise, haha.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - KillerLeft - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 01:41 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I don't know why, but this still always catches me by surprise, haha.

Whatever you say, Clark Kent.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - mavsluvr - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 01:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Whatever you say, Clark Kent.

hahaha

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 01:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: On my rewatch this morning, I opted for the home broadcast (went with @"mavsluvr"'s fine call last night). 

The Magic broadcasters, after years of seeing sub-par PG play hold their team back, spent basically the entire game heaping praise all over Brunson. More than Luka, even. 

"He does so many things well.'
"Great pick and roll player."
"Such a crafty left-hander"

And many more. 

Most players have warts, but I really think we're watching a nice player come into his own here. Good PG play is sort of a hallmark of our Mavs, so we might have slightly unrealistic expectations, kind of like Cowboys fans have for their quarterbacks.

Magic have some of the better home crew announcers.  They aren't just blatant over the top homers.  They are pretty fair at evaluating other teams players and not every call against their team is one of the greatest travesty's in the history of basketball.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Fuerza1 - 03-02-2021

The top of the Mavericks hierarchy has spoken about the Mavs second best player. Haters look away.

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1366608545538592768

Followill mentions elite 4Q stats for Jalen Brunson in below tweet:

https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/1366790349428060164

Post-game interview: “I work every day. I put the work in every day. I make sure people tell me to change clothes or kick me out. I’m just trying to work on my game.” Trade this guy? 

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/1366591274694885379

Angel
https://twitter.com/jalenbrunson1/status/1366586528282144770

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - embellisher - 03-03-2021

The past couple of games, Brunson has been part of the closing unit. You guys think this is developmental, or a Carlisle experiment to see if it works? 

Do you think that RC is letting him play through mistakes in the closing unit to develop him as a permanent part of that unit? He's been great in the fourth until the last 3 or 4 minutes, and then he makes turnovers or misses open shots, shots that he made earlier in the quarter, and missing FTs.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - sefant - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 01:49 AM)embellisher Wrote: The past couple of games, Brunson has been part of the closing unit. You guys think this is developmental, or a Carlisle experiment to see if it works? 

Do you think that RC is letting him play through mistakes in the closing unit to develop him as a permanent part of that unit? He's been great in the fourth until the last 3 or 4 minutes, and then he makes turnovers or misses open shots, shots that he made earlier in the quarter, and missing FTs.
No idea, but i just checked Luka - Brunson - KP lineups, where Brunson replaces any starter. And there is 0 reliable data to fetch, because they barely seen the court together this season. Basically 10 minutes together.

Luka - Brunson - JRich - DFS - KP

130.8 off rating
86 def rating
6 minutes

Luka - Brunson - JRich - Kleber - KP

166.7 off rating
91.7 def rating
1 minute

Luka - Brunson - DFS - Kleber - KP

100.0 off rating
116.7 def rating
3 minutes (think this was the lineup that Rick used in crunch time vs. Magic, hence the shitty stats)

Luka - Brunson - Green - THJ - KP

131.4 off rating
97.1 def rating
17 minutes

Big Grin

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-03-2021

(03-02-2021, 12:43 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote:  
Can I ask you how much you think Terry Rozier's next contract will be?

Hard to say because he won't hit the market in another 1.5 years and valuations and performances can fluctuate a lot over that time span ... but if the regular season ended today and he hit the market immediately following, I would assume it would be pretty big considering he's the best player on a playoff team.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dynamicalVoid - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 09:22 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Hard to say because he won't hit the market in another 1.5 years and valuations and performances can fluctuate a lot over that time span ... but if the regular season ended today and he hit the market immediately following, I would assume it would be pretty big considering he's the best player on a playoff team.
 Thanks for answering.

I only asked because I see people talk about Brunson being 20m+ now-a-days...and I watch Rozier just absolutely kill it on a regular basis and I see he is at 17m.   Roziers talent jumps off the screen(playmaking, 3's)...but maybe Brunson does little things better than Rozier and is a better fit for this team.  

I get that there are other players in the league to compare with other that Rozier...I just have an issue with comparing Brunson and Rozier for some reason.   I think that Brunson brings more to the table for this team than THJ...and he is getting paid/overpaid 18m.   If you can pay THJ 18m you should pay Brunson 20m+...all things equal.

Anyway...I tried doing a little investigating on Chralottes Realgm page to see what their fans think Rozier will get paid...I didnt deep dive...but they didnt seem to think it would be near 30m...they just suggested a little bit more(i assume mid 20's?).   Which leads me to...is Brunson such a good fit for this team that paying 20m+ for him is justified...or would you rather pay near 25-30m for Rozier?  We would have to give up assets in a trade then pay Rozier too, right?

Maybe its a waste of time to think about.  I am a big Brunson fan...I think he is super skilled...I just dont want to get into a Dwight Powell situation(I get that he got injured and its not his or the Mavs fault) by over paying Brunson when there are Roziers out there for a little more(again, Im not a scout and maybe Brunson is better ball player than Rozier).  I would like to see Brunson in a Playoff atmosphere against stiff defenses to see if his size and defense hinders him.  Other than that...I love Brunsons game and think he is really talented.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - HanspardShowerVoice - 03-03-2021

Honestly, if Rozier keeps this up for another 1.5 years he could be looking at a max or near max.   Maybe he might be overpaid, but that's what the market offers like Gordon Haywood.   It just takes one small market team willing to pay a premium because they know that's the only way they can get draw talent.   

Yeah, I'm not sure THJ right now is really that overpaid by 2021 standards.    Since THJ has improved his 3 point shooting to the ~39% range while he's been with the Mavs,  I think he is pretty similar to Bogdan Bogdanovic, who got $18 million per season on the open market at the same age as THJ.     Its sometimes hard to adjust that a player is overpaid early in his contract becomes properly paid or even underpaid as his skillset changes and/or the market rate for the skillset inflates.  

Now the question is whether I want to pay THJ his market rate or if I would rather pay another player his market rate with my finite amount of cap space.   And that's where my Brunson appreciation really kicks in ... because good luck finding point guards who can run your offense and effective score off the dribble who aren't 87 years old and could fall off the production cliff at any moment (DeRozan, Conley, Kyle Lowrey) or just complete trainwrecks on defense.   And while Brunson 's 115 career defensive  rating isn't world beating it's servicable ... there's a lot of offensive point guards out there who are running layup drills.    So for me, on Brunson, it's not just the production but the scarcity.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dynamicalVoid - 03-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 10:49 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Honestly, if Rozier keeps this up for another 1.5 years he could be looking at a max or near max.   Maybe he might be overpaid, but that's what the market offers like Gordon Haywood.   It just takes one small market team willing to pay a premium because they know that's the only way they can get draw talent.   

Yeah, I'm not sure THJ right now is really that overpaid by 2021 standards.    Since THJ has improved his 3 point shooting to the ~39% range while he's been with the Mavs,  I think he is pretty similar to Bogdan Bogdanovic, who got $18 million per season on the open market at the same age as THJ.     Its sometimes hard to adjust that a player is overpaid early in his contract becomes properly paid or even underpaid as his skillset changes and/or the market rate for the skillset inflates.  

Now the question is whether I want to pay THJ his market rate or if I would rather pay another player his market rate with my finite amount of cap space.   And that's where my Brunson appreciation really kicks in ... because good luck finding point guards who can run your offense and effective score off the dribble who aren't 87 years old and could fall off the production cliff at any moment (DeRozan, Conley, Kyle Lowrey) or just complete trainwrecks on defense.   And while Brunson 's 115 career defensive  rating isn't world beating it's servicable ... there's a lot of offensive point guards out there who are running layup drills.    So for me, on Brunson, it's not just the production but the scarcity.

So Mavs might have to overpay?  Or Jalen would be smart to test the open market?

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Fuerza1 - 03-10-2021

Per Cleaning the Glass dot com, Brunson elite stats: 

Around the rim: field goal percentage 75%, 95th percentile.

Mid-range: 52%, 87th percentile.

3-point range: 42%, 87th percentile.

Points per shot attempt: ranked 95th percentile.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - Chicagojk - 03-11-2021

The Spurs are a difficult matchup for Brunson.  They are really tall and long.  With the exception of Patty Mills, but he is really hard to guard.    

I am not saying he shouldn't get heavy minutes against the Spurs of the world, but there will games like last night where he is much less impactful than he has been for most of this year.

I liked this breakdown that I saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOEFz4V9d14

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - embellisher - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 08:32 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Spurs are a difficult matchup for Brunson.  They are really tall and long.  With the exception of Patty Mills, but he is really hard to guard.    

I am not saying he shouldn't get heavy minutes against the Spurs of the world, but there will games like last night where he is much less impactful than he has been for most of this year.

I liked this breakdown that I saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOEFz4V9d14

Yeah, he looked a bit off last night, and I think it was San Antonio's length that was responsible.

He's pretty darned good, but he's going to have rough games against teams with big guards that are good defensively.

And though his D is getting better, he's always going to struggle on that end against big guards that are offensive players. 

That's what you have to deal with when you're a bit undersized and don't have world class length. Which really makes me think Terry isn't going to make it in this league. He's not as good as Brunson, JET or JJB.

Brunson is getting close to JET / JJB territory. He's a keeper, if we can afford him. But long term, I like him more as a bench guy than a starter, because of his size.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - dirkfansince1998 - 03-11-2021

Overall not a bad game but he made some questionable decisions in the first quarter. I just don´t think he is a real PG. More of a Terry/McCollum/LouWill. Undersized SG. Gifted scorer but he is not creating open looks for his teammates.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - KillerLeft - 03-11-2021

(03-11-2021, 11:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Overall not a bad game but he made some questionable decisions in the first quarter. I just don´t think he is a real PG. More of a Terry/McCollum/LouWill. Undersized SG. Gifted scorer but he is not creating open looks for his teammates.

Wow, I hope you’re wrong about this one, but I admit that you might be on to something. He’s already pretty good, but my hopes are officially up for him to make a he lep o tw.

RE: Jalen 'Can He Play Alongside Luka?' Brunson - embellisher - 04-03-2021

(03-03-2021, 01:49 AM)embellisher Wrote: The past couple of games, Brunson has been part of the closing unit. You guys think this is developmental, or a Carlisle experiment to see if it works? 

Well, looks like Brunson is officially part of the closing unit, and he has really made some clutch plays the last few games. 

This has fallen down to page 4, time to move it back up. 

Guess Fuerza has moved on.