MavsBoard
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED] - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: 2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED] (/showthread.php?tid=1099)

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (4.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-8 since Dec 31 - DanSchwartzgan - 03-11-2022

Podcast Updates:

J. Tjarks is on yesterdays Ringer NBA Show.  I'd highly recommend.  Some interesting insights about Luka's growth path from here and how to build around him (and when).  He thinks AD is the prototype for a second star.  He can get tons of points without having much run for him.  Versatile offense but very high end defensively also.

Most interesting thing to me was discussion about KP at PF to preserve his body.  Tjarks said there was a problem with KP + a Center.  Many of us focused on how KP played as a C or a PF.  Tjarks said it wasn't really a question of what KP did or didn't do.  Once Brunson became the starter, you couldn't play a C with KP and still have the two necessary WING defenders (DFS and Bullock currently) plus the two PG's (that's six guys).  So, as long as we are running two ball handlers at all times, KP needed to be a full time solo big.  No way his body holds up to that.  I'd expect a C and two wing defenders and two ball handlers to be the lineup going forward (at least starting).  It is an open question as to whether you can improve upon one of the Centers or one of the defensive wings with the resources we have.

Earlier in the week Cuban was on the same podcast.  The most interesting thing there was the team is making a concerted effort to rebuild the roster around Kidd's style versus how the roster was constructed under Carlisle.  Cuban said KP wasn't a fit.  I wanted to ask 'who else doesn't fit', but then realized I was listening to a recording.  It seems to me Defense, 3's and getting to the rim in one fashion or another are the priorities.  The reason a lot of people automatically assume THJ will leave is he's the worst of the regulars at D and takes the smallest percentage of his shots at the rim among (and has the worst FG% on those shots when he does take them).  Bullock is right behind him in terms of getting to the rim and 0-3 foot FG%.  BTW, if I'm right about this being a priority for Kidd, don't expect Green to be a throw in on any future deals.  He's basically a smaller version of DFS with better passing and less reliable three point shooting.  But he shoots at the rim even more than Dorian.

BTW, Cuban didn't say anything to dispel the idea that he IS and always has been the GM.  If you listen closely, lots of "I" did this or "I" thought that and therefore we went in this direction.  He said positive things about Nico (the quiet assassin) and then said that Nici isn't quite there yet on the player evaluation side.  No credit at all to Nico having a major hand in any of the player moves that have been made so far.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (4.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-8 since Dec 31 - windjc - 03-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 12:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Podcast Updates:

J. Tjarks is on yesterdays Ringer NBA Show.  I'd highly recommend.  Some interesting insights about Luka's growth path from here and how to build around him (and when).  He thinks AD is the prototype for a second star.  He can get tons of points without having much run for him.  Versatile offense but very high end defensively also.

Most interesting thing to me was discussion about KP at PF to preserve his body.  Tjarks said there was a problem with KP + a Center.  Many of us focused on how KP played as a C or a PF.  Tjarks said it wasn't really a question of what KP did or didn't do.  Once Brunson became the starter, you couldn't play a C with KP and still have the two necessary WING defenders (DFS and Bullock currently) plus the two PG's (that's six guys).  So, as long as we are running two ball handlers at all times, KP needed to be a full time solo big.  No way his body holds up to that.  I'd expect a C and two wing defenders and two ball handlers to be the lineup going forward (at least starting).  It is an open question as to whether you can improve upon one of the Centers or one of the defensive wings with the resources we have.

Earlier in the week Cuban was on the same podcast.  The most interesting thing there was the team is making a concerted effort to rebuild the roster around Kidd's style versus how the roster was constructed under Carlisle.  Cuban said KP wasn't a fit.  I wanted to ask 'who else doesn't fit', but then realized I was listening to a recording.  It seems to me Defense, 3's and getting to the rim in one fashion or another are the priorities.  The reason a lot of people automatically assume THJ will leave is he's the worst of the regulars at D and takes the smallest percentage of his shots at the rim among (and has the worst FG% on those shots when he does take them).  Bullock is right behind him in terms of getting to the rim and 0-3 foot FG%.  BTW, if I'm right about this being a priority for Kidd, don't expect Green to be a throw in on any future deals.  He's basically a smaller version of DFS with better passing and less reliable three point shooting.  But he shoots at the rim even more than Dorian.

BTW, Cuban didn't say anything to dispel the idea that he IS and always has been the GM.  If you listen closely, lots of "I" did this or "I" thought that and therefore we went in this direction.  He said positive things about Nico (the quiet assassin) and then said that Nici isn't quite there yet on the player evaluation side.  No credit at all to Nico having a major hand in any of the player moves that have been made so far.

Our owner said the GM wasn't quite there on the player evaluation side?? He really said that? Cuban is mini Jerry Jones.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (4.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-8 since Dec 31 - StrandedOnBeauboisHill - 03-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 12:56 PM)windjc Wrote: Our owner said the GM wasn't quite there on the player evaluation side?? He really said that? Cuban is mini Jerry Jones.

I mean, this was kind of known going into it.  It's why Finley and Dirk are still involved.  Nico is a relationship man and obviously had to do some player evaluation stuff during his Nike days.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (4.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-8 since Dec 31 - cow - 03-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 12:56 PM)windjc Wrote: Our owner said the GM wasn't quite there on the player evaluation side?? He really said that? Cuban is mini Jerry Jones.

We could only wish that Cuban was as good as Jerry.  Jerry has Will McClay for player evaluation, knows how to market his team and attract free agents and doesn't get blackballed by other GMs throughout the league.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (4.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-8 since Dec 31 - Chicagojk - 03-11-2022

(03-11-2022, 12:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Podcast Updates:

Thanks.   I have gotten away from that podcast.  I like the real ones but there are just so many podcasts out there that a few get lost.    Your last paragraph doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Off topic, but Tjarks had an article last week on what he has been dealing with.  Non basketball related but I would recommend the read.  

https://www.theringer.com/2022/3/3/22956353/fatherhood-cancer-jonathan-tjarks

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (3.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-7 since Dec 31 - HoosierDaddyKid - 03-11-2022

(03-09-2022, 07:05 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Utah has these games left:
vs Milwaukee 
vs Chicago
vs Memphis
vs Phoenix
@ Brooklyn (2nd night of back to back)
@ Boston
@ Dallas (game 5 of a 6 game road trip)
@ Golden State

Mavs tough games to go:
vs Utah
@ Boston
@ Brooklyn
@ Philly
@ Cleveland (tough?)
@ Milwaukee

Cleveland will be without Allen with a broken finger, and Levert with a foot injury. Still can't look past them. Why don't you have the T-Wolves on the list? They've been playing well and are only 2/1/2 back of the 5 seed.  To be honest, you can't overlook any team going forward.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (0.5 gms behind 4th) | 25-8 since Dec 31 - Branduil - 03-12-2022

The next few games will be quite a challenge, but the good news is the rest of the season should be considerably easier. No excuses for not finishing out strong.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (0.5 gms behind 4th) | 25-8 since Dec 31 - Kammrath - 03-13-2022

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1503154572541452291

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (0.5 gms behind 4th) | 25-8 since Dec 31 - Kammrath - 03-13-2022

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1503144080448147463

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (0.5 gms behind 4th) | 26-8 since Dec 31 - Jym - 03-14-2022

Just noticed we're officially giving up the least points to opponents at 103.5 per game
Maybe that happened a while back and it slipped by me but I hadn't seen anyone point it out

On the flip side, we're the only team in the top 7 of the west not scoring at least 111 points a game. We're at 106.6 ppg so pace is for sure a factor. We're dead last there

RE: MAVS NEWS: 13th O, 6th D | 5th in West (3.5 gms behind 2nd) | 24-7 since Dec 31 - Jommybone - 03-14-2022

(03-11-2022, 04:22 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Cleveland will be without Allen with a broken finger, and Levert with a foot injury. Still can't look past them. Why don't you have the T-Wolves on the list? They've been playing well and are only 2/1/2 back of the 5 seed.  To be honest, you can't overlook any team going forward.

I haven’t watched any non-Mavs games this year, so my take is probably dated. But I can’t get on board with the idea that the Cavs and Wolves are good. Just can’t.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - SleepingHero - 03-15-2022

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2022/03/14/luka-doncic-wants-dorian-finney-smith-to-get-all-defensive-honors-and-all-star-victims-should-agree/

Quote:BOSTON — Moments after the Mavericks finished Sunday’s dramatic win over the Celtics, Luka Doncic gave the NBA another scare.

Dallas’ superstar who most makes opposing defenses flounder endorsed a lifetime pairing with the underrated supporter whom opposing offenses would be wise to avoid right now.

Dorian Finney-Smith.

“He’s just Doe Doe. That’s my guy,” Doncic said in his postgame interview on ABC. “I’ve played with him for four years. I hope I play with him until the end of my career because he’s an amazing player, but most importantly, he’s a humble guy, [hard]-working guy, and a great person.”

Can't believe cow/KL haven't seen/posted this yet!! Luka comes out with the strongest endorsement of a teammate he's ever had since he got here!

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - Mavsfan12 - 03-15-2022

Great article.  He's doing work.  Excited to see him against Durant, who has been on fire.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - cow - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 10:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2022/03/14/luka-doncic-wants-dorian-finney-smith-to-get-all-defensive-honors-and-all-star-victims-should-agree/

Can't believe cow/KL haven't seen/posted this yet!! Luka comes out with the strongest endorsement of a teammate he's ever had since he got here!

I'm not sold on Luka though.  I need God King to endorse him first.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - cow - 03-15-2022

Seriously though, I hope Dorian gets an all defensive nod.  It would be a nice cherry on top for an amazing season for him.  The dude is what is great about sports or at least what I love so much about sports.  Hard workers who maximize their potential and are even better people than they are athletes.  DFS is #3 on my Mavs all time list.  

I can't tell you how "proud papa" I was during the second half of the Boston game.  Some folks were posting Dorian's +/- for the first half and then he carries our team offensively in the 3rd quarter while shutting down Tatum on the other end who has been hotter than fish grease of late.  As Dirk would say, "that's my guy".

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - Jason Terry - 03-15-2022

Check out the stadium feeds to mavs games sometime. Watch and listen to DFS. He’s calling out plays on defense. Always one step ahead. Trash talking. All while guarding the other teams best player regardless of position. He’s definitely our defensive anchor and heart of the team. The epitome of stats don’t tell the whole story. So selfless in a me first time. Makes me happy Luka appreciates him

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - Kammrath - 03-16-2022

If the Mavs can close 9-5 then they will be 51-31 for the season, their best record since 2010-2011 when they were 57-25.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - Halfnir - 03-16-2022

tough, but possible ... 

"Should be wins": HOU, LAL (AD back might move this up), @WAS, @DET, POR, SA
"Traps": @CHA (SEGABABA)
"Battlegrounds": @BKN (no Kyrie), MIN, @MIN (which KAT version will show up?), UTA, @CLE (SEGABABA)
"expected losses": @PHI, @MIL

if we win 3/5 of the Battlegrounds we could affort to drop one of the scheduled wins/trap games and still end up 9-5.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - Chicagojk - 03-16-2022

Hollinger and Cato did a back and forth thing on the Athletic yesterday.   It just got me thinking that even though the Mavs are playing really well and are currently playing their best ball of the season, that they still need to think big moving forward.    The West is going to be tougher next year:  Clippers and Denver should be better; Minnesota looks to be rounding into a solid playoff team moving forward; New Orleans will look good on paper; never discount LAL despite their mess currently; etc.  

Hollinger said the Mavs now have 6-7 players in the 10-20 million dollar range (middle-class) who can be used in a trade.  Just helps with flexibility when discussing trades. Big picture though, it is always hard to trade for an all star caliber player.  These opportunities are rare and the asset equation may not tilt the Mavs favor either.   Plus, we have to consider the fit with Luka as well.  But this trade at least allows Dallas to "Go Bold" if an opportunity arises. 

Both though Utah or Memphis would be the best matchups for this Dallas team in the playoffs.  

Hollinger didn't really see the trade of KP changes things short-term in the grand scheme of things.   Didn't think they have the overall talent to hang with the top heavyweights in the west this year.

RE: MAVS NEWS: 18th O, 6th D | tied for 4th in West | 26-8 since Dec 31 - DanSchwartzgan - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 08:27 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hollinger and Cato did a back and forth thing on the Athletic yesterday.   It just got me thinking that even though the Mavs are playing really well and are currently playing their best ball of the season, that they still need to think big moving forward.    The West is going to be tougher next year:  Clippers and Denver should be better; Minnesota looks to be rounding into a solid playoff team moving forward; New Orleans will look good on paper; never discount LAL despite their mess currently; etc.  

Hollinger said the Mavs now have 6-7 players in the 10-20 million dollar range (middle-class) who can be used in a trade.  Just helps with flexibility when discussing trades. Big picture though, it is always hard to trade for an all star caliber player.  These opportunities are rare and the asset equation may not tilt the Mavs favor either.   Plus, we have to consider the fit with Luka as well.  But this trade at least allows Dallas to "Go Bold" if an opportunity arises. 

Both though Utah or Memphis would be the best matchups for this Dallas team in the playoffs.  

Hollinger didn't really see the trade of KP changes things short-term in the grand scheme of things.   Didn't think they have the overall talent to hang with the top heavyweights in the west this year.

Related...Jake Fischer in on today's 77 Heaven podcast with Cato.  They talk some about the Mav/Toronto discussions prior to the Washington deal, but nothing definitive.  

Fischer teases an upcoming article where he says he doesn't think Brunson returning is a done deal.

Fischer also says Dallas will be tax sensitive (from sources, not just historical norm).