Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 5 Playoffs 2024: Oklahoma City Thunder (2-2) vs. Dallas Mavericks (2-2)
I am 2-0 on my game thread posts so far. So, I thought I would spread some of the magic to this crucial game 5.

I'm feeling a big game from Luka AND he stops complaining.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like nicholasthefan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
This is the game where either Luka finally shows up or the season comes to an end…

I have been watching Luka since he started his professional career at 14. I watched him live in Istanbul many times before he stepped into NBA. And I can easily say that last game was probably the worst game he has ever played. He looked gassed many many times before but he never looked as if he quitted like he seemed last night. He complained to the refs many many times before but not like the way he did last game, which was mostly out of the misery he was in.

I believe that If he doesn’t bounce back from that horrendous performance, then we already don’t stand a chance for this series let alone going further.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
[-] The following 3 users Like TurkishMFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
The Luka takes are starting to be hyperbolized to both sides of the spectrum, which seems to be what happens with every disagreement these days. I have been mildly critical of his playoff run, and I stand by that, but I also don’t think one playoff run should dictate how we view him as a player or a man. Whether it is 100% about the injury or if there is something else bothering him, it is clear that he is struggling.

What is also becoming clear is that while these Mavericks have surprised us by winning quite a few playoff games without the idealized version of Luka we have come to expect, they seem to have reached the limit of what they can achieve (this season, at least) under those circumstances. Kyrie will probably have a better game tonight than he did in game four, but other than that I’m not sure we can expect much more from the rest of the team. They are all playing really well.

Nothing for it but to hope Luka finds a way to overcome the hardships he’s enduring: the injury, its effect on his stamina and balance, the physical defense he’s facing and his perception of how he’s being officiated. I sincerely hope he overcomes and gives us a glimpse of the player we expected coming into the postseason.

And if not, all is not lost. We have seen what this team is capable of, and I think, after some reflection, most of us will agree that it is capable of more than we first thought. After a training camp and hopefully more luck with health, next season should be really fun.
Like Reply
Anyone feeling confident tonight? Personally I’m cautiously optimistic. We did absolutely everything wrong to close game 4 and yet had we made our FT we would have won. Thus far we’ve held everyone but SGA pretty much under control and he can go for 40 at we still win as long as 15 of his 40 don’t come from FT. If we win the rebounding battle, limit our turnovers to 12 or less and make 75% of our FT we win. None of those should be high bars to achieve. GO MAVS!
[-] The following 1 user Likes rocky164's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 02:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Luka takes are starting to be hyperbolized to both sides of the spectrum, which seems to be what happens with every disagreement these days. I have been mildly critical of his playoff run, and I stand by that, but I also don’t think one playoff run should dictate how we view him as a player or a man. Whether it is 100% about the injury or if there is something else bothering him, it is clear that he is struggling.

What is also becoming clear is that while these Mavericks have surprised us by winning quite a few playoff games without the idealized version of Luka we have come to expect, they seem to have reached the limit of what they can achieve (this season, at least) under those circumstances. Kyrie will probably have a better game tonight than he did in game four, but other than that I’m not sure we can expect much more from the rest of the team. They are all playing really well.

Nothing for it but to hope Luka finds a way to overcome the hardships he’s enduring: the injury, its effect on his stamina and balance, the physical defense he’s facing and his perception of how he’s being officiated. I sincerely hope he overcomes and gives us a glimpse of the player we expected coming into the postseason.

And if not, all is not lost. We have seen what this team is capable of, and I think, after some reflection, most of us will agree that it is capable of more than we first thought. After a training camp and hopefully more luck with health, next season should be really fun.

If there was one other thing to hope for (other than Luka overcoming his struggles) it would be for Exum to get more minutes and be worthy of it.  He has been one of the few non injury related disappointments this offseason (although he has never been quite the same since coming back from his injury).
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 05:08 PM)rocky164 Wrote: Anyone feeling confident tonight?  Personally I’m cautiously optimistic.  We did absolutely everything wrong to close game 4 and yet had we made our FT we would have won.  Thus far we’ve held everyone but SGA pretty much under control and he can go for 40 at we still win as long as 15 of his 40 don’t come from FT.  If we win the rebounding battle, limit our turnovers to 12 or less and make 75% of our FT we win.  None of those should be high bars to achieve.  GO MAVS!

I'm worried that Luka is too broken and that OKC is due for a better shooting night.
Like Reply
I'm not sure how to feel at this point to be honest. My gut tells me that we lost the series when we blew last game. My logical side says it's still anyone's series, but I'm definitely not confident. I know we are capable of winning, but our stars need to help our role players and I never thought I would say that. I definitely think we need to win tonight to be able to win the series. I don't like our chances in a game 7 on the road. I'm praying for a W! I think Kyrie needs to be the primary ball handler and playmaker until Luka is right, even if that's next season.
Like Reply
I think Luka needs to moderately be willing to push the ball more and often give up the ball early to Kyrie to penetrate and create. Luka can make himself available to get the ball back for easier shots. I actually expect to see some of this.

I agree with Killer that this team has shown us a tremendous amount. I also submit I’ve seen numerous improvements in individual players from game 1 to game 10. I have been very disappointed throughout at our failure to finish opportunities we have created for ourselves. Last game we totally blew it from late first quarter on. We took advantage and failed to take further advantage so many times and so many ways. I’m very down about that because it usually means it’s over with much to regret.

This is very good for us long term with all the inexperienced guys. But it would be so much better if we could add some more experience against the Nuggets.

A painful loss can be worse than a blow out loss in terms of the next game. Deep down I’m hurting and watching with hope and a lot of belief that our guys will make us proud tonight in a lot of ways.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reunion Mav's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft
Like Reply
LETS GO MAVS!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
No Giddey. Gafford in trouble because he has to defend in space. OKC will get even better looks from 3. Can only hope that they miss.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
OKC targeting Gafford, to tremendous effect. Several blow-by’s. His one good play so far was a foul that the refs missed, and he has missed out on about three rebounds he should’ve had.
Like Reply
Lively comes in and the Mavs’ defense immediately looks three levels better.
Like Reply
Ugh…Josh
Like Reply
DJJ is STILL hitting threes…sample size getting larger.
Like Reply
Hardy instead of Exum/THJ. Interesting.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 08:52 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Hardy instead of Exum/THJ. Interesting.

Feels like a panic move to me. I don’t like sacrificing the defensive cohesion.
Like Reply
They're getting killed on the offensive boards.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Guards/wings need to boxout. Defense is good but with all the rotations/help defense they are losing track of their own matchup.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 08:56 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Guards/wings need to boxout. Defense is good but with all the rotations/help defense they are losing track of their own matchup.

The defense WAS good…I thought the last two possessions were open shots galore. Tough for me not to jump to the conclusion that this is the result of Hardy being out there.
Like Reply
Irving killing us out therw
Like Reply