Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Draft Prospects
(05-13-2024, 02:11 PM)Hooper21 Wrote: Since he's stated he wants to buy into a NBA franchise, I doubt he's going to leave a penny on the table.  

Whoever we draft, sign, or trade for I hope is in the PJ, DJ, and Josh mold.  Or a Maxi starter kit, unless Omax makes the leap in year 2.

10-15 million left on his last NBA deal to compete somewhere will quite honestly make zero difference in Lebron's ability to buy a team.  

Those teams are going to cost upwards of 4 billion each for a buy in. Even if Lebron asked for the absolute maximum for his next deal, he's still around 3 billion short to buy a team himself. So he's going to be apart of an ownership group where he buys 10% stake, makes basketball choices, and is the face of the ownership group while some investment banking firm is in the background praying Lebron's likeness is enough to drive up valuation over time and can hopefully cash in on a couple of billion in 5 years after the new TV deals are set and Lebron *hopefully* builds a good Vegas team. 

If anything, Lebron trying to leverage his last deal where he is in the most competitive spot possible to drive up his legacy and build momentum before retirement might motivate him to take less on his last deal to get the best basketball situation possible. That way he's going out on top like Jordan and is still relevant. 

This is all conjecture. Who knows what Lebron is thinking this summer? But his last contract certainly has zero bearing on his ability to buy into a team in these upcoming years.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 03:41 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: 10-15 million left on his last NBA deal to compete somewhere will quite honestly make zero difference in Lebron's ability to buy a team.  

Those teams are going to cost upwards of 4 billion each for a buy in. Even if Lebron asked for the absolute maximum for his next deal, he's still around 3 billion short to buy a team himself. So he's going to be apart of an ownership group where he buys 10% stake, makes basketball choices, and is the face of the ownership group while some investment banking firm is in the background praying Lebron's likeness is enough to drive up valuation over time and can hopefully cash in on a couple of billion in 5 years after the new TV deals are set and Lebron *hopefully* builds a good Vegas team. 

If anything, Lebron trying to leverage his last deal where he is in the most competitive spot possible to drive up his legacy and build momentum before retirement might motivate him to take less on his last deal to get the best basketball situation possible. That way he's going out on top like Jordan and is still relevant. 

This is all conjecture. Who knows what Lebron is thinking this summer? But his last contract certainly has zero bearing on his ability to buy into a team in these upcoming years.

I just believe that LeBron is such a loyal guy, that he’ll want to be a laker for life.

Reminds me a lot of Dirk.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 03:44 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I just believe that LeBron is such a loyal guy, that he’ll want to be a laker for life.

Reminds me a lot of Dirk.

You had me there for a minute!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...6483688868

@DraftExpress
Bronny James just crushed the 3-point star shooting drill at the NBA draft combine. 19/25, good for second place.

Hold up a second here boys. Maybe Bronny James has some stuff!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Topic yesterday injured his knee. Without contact.
Like Reply
(05-14-2024, 01:53 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: Topic yesterday injured his knee. Without contact.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...6388942987

@DraftExpress
NEWS: Projected top-10 pick Nikola Topic has avoided serious injury, sources told ESPN. Initial diagnosis revealed a sprained left knee which likely rules him out of the remainder of the Adriatic League finals. Should be a full participant in NBA pre-draft activities in June.

Seems like he got incredibly lucky there!
Like Reply
@TheDunkCentral
Stephen A. Smith is hearing that the Mavericks have interest in drafting Bronny James

“But here’s a newsflash, what I’ve also heard. Bronny James may not make it to the Lakers’ second round pick. Because if a team like the Dallas Mavericks could position themselves to get him in the second round, they’ll take him. Because LeBron said he wants to go where his son goes and if you’re the Dallas Mavericks and you got Kyrie, and you got Luka, and LeBron James is willing to come to big D, that might be the first time something is more popular than the Cowboy.”

It seems like Mr. Stephen A. Smith is a reader of the board and stole my idea. Which one of ya is the traitor?
Like Reply
(07-31-2023, 05:06 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lets start with another 7'3 european playmaker. Feels like we get one of them each year. Not as mobile as some of the unicorns. But already an awesome passer. Real Jokic/Sengun vibes.
Even more interesting. We finally will see one of them in college basketball. He is going to play for UCLA next season.

https://twitter.com/DraftLabNBA/status/1...4474984448

https://twitter.com/DraftLabNBA/status/1...0574574592

Gawd is he fluid.
Like Reply
https://x.com/esidery/status/1791499815483793830

Donovan Clingan of UConn is expected to be taken in the top 3 of the draft.
Like Reply
Ryan Rusillo said on his podcast the other day that he was speaking with scouts and they described this draft as if you started the draft at #10 instead of #1 prospect wise. Also said he asked around what teams would trade for the number 1 pick in this years draft and basically no team gave any real rotation player. The example he used were Boston refusing to trade White for #1.

Also brought up how Jonathan Givony had zero tier 1 or tier 2 guys on his draft board this year.
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Can you stash the #1 pick in Europe so you don’t have to pay him that rich guaranteed salary?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 06:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Ryan Rusillo said on his podcast the other day that he was speaking with scouts and they described this draft as if you started the draft at #10 instead of #1 prospect wise. Also said he asked around what teams would trade for the number 1 pick in this years draft and basically no team gave any real rotation player. The example he used were Boston refusing to trade White for #1.

Also brought up how Jonathan Givony had zero tier 1 or tier 2 guys on his draft board this year.

As if Boston would trade White for absolutely anything. The core of that team is Tatum-Brown-Holiday-White-KP, absolutely in that order. It was many times over less damaging for them to have KP injured than it would have been to have White injured. If Boston are so dumbassed as want to become less capable of winning a championship by trading away White for someone who fits worse, perhaps they'll give him to us for THJ and a first. That would be one of the stupidest trades in league history. I didn't know Vlade had become the Celtics' GM.
Like Reply
(05-17-2024, 09:10 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: As if Boston would trade White for absolutely anything. The core of that team is Tatum-Brown-Holiday-White-KP, absolutely in that order. It was many times over less damaging for them to have KP injured than it would have been to have White injured. If Boston are so dumbassed as want to become less capable of winning a championship by trading away White for someone who fits worse, perhaps they'll give him to us for THJ and a first. That would be one of the stupidest trades in league history. I didn't know Vlade had become the Celtics' GM.

Well let me put it to you this way, last years draft if San Antonio came up calling Boston for the #1 pick, what player would Boston happily give up for Wemby? And the answer definitely would've been anyone but Tatum. 

That's the point he's trying to make with that comment. That the #1 pick has so little value (because there are no elite guys at the top), that no team would even give up a high quality rotation player for it. 

Like would you trade Lively for this years #1? Obviously not. But last years? Absolutely.
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
How about Coleman Hawkins as a Maxi replacement?
Like Reply
I would be surprised if Dallas is very interested in the draft. Although looking at Nico’s track record and his time at Nike, they always look for the guys with the biggest upside. Jaden Hardy was a top 5 recruit who struggled in the G league. Lively as a top 5 pick that didn’t live up to the hype at Duke. I really believe Nick would have gone after Emoni Batss last year if he went undrafted. So who fits these types of players. How about Justin Edwards at Kentucky? Former top 5 recruit who struggle last year. I am not sure if SH Wagner is in this draft but he would fit too.
Like Reply
I haven’t watched much of Bronny. All I know is he is not any where ready. I think him playing in the g league is not the best way to develop. I think there is a real chance if he was a 3-4 year college player that he would be a glue guy who came in and might be able to play early.

I think whoever drafts Bronny is taking the long game. I expect Lebron stays in LAL. But what about 1-2 years from now? Maybe Lebron gets injured and is no longer relevant. But I could see Nico drafting Bronny and slow playing his development in the G league. Maybe in 2 years he warrants a roster spot. That is when you may get Lebron looking for that last ring.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 10:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I haven’t watched much of Bronny.  All I know is he is not any where ready.  I think him playing in the g league is not the best way to develop.  I think there is a real chance if he was a 3-4 year college player that he would be a glue guy who came in and might be able to play early.

I think whoever drafts Bronny is taking the long game.  I expect Lebron stays in LAL.  But what about 1-2 years from now?  Maybe Lebron gets injured and is no longer relevant.  But I could see Nico drafting Bronny and slow playing his development in the G league.  Maybe in 2 years he warrants a roster spot.  That is when you may get Lebron looking for that last ring.

Question is if you still want LBJ on your roster in two years. He would be 41 years old. As far as raw production goes 23/24 was his worst season since his rookie year. He is reaching the stage of his career where he isn't a top 10-15 player in the league anymore. Probably will be even further down the list in two years.
How much are you willing to give up for whatever LBJ will be in two years. Assets to move up in the draft? A roster spot that isn't producing for the next two seasons?
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 07:50 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would be surprised if Dallas is very interested in the draft.  Although looking at Nico’s track record and his time at Nike, they always look for the guys with the biggest upside.  Jaden Hardy was a top 5 recruit who struggled in the G league.  Lively as a top 5 pick that didn’t live up to the hype at Duke.  I really believe Nick would have gone after Emoni Batss last year if he went undrafted.  So who fits these types of players.  How about Justin Edwards at Kentucky?  Former top 5 recruit who struggle last year.  I am not sure if SH Wagner is in this draft but he would fit too.

Draft has no clear top tier talent based on everything I have read/watched. But there will be undrafted guys/late 2nd round picks that will have successful NBA careers. Finding another cheap rotation player would really help to compensate for the loss of guys that the Mavs won't be able to sign/resign under the new salary cap.
You mentioned former top recruits as a potential direction. I would add another option. "Winners". Older rookies with successful college careers. Overperforming with weak teams or contributing towards deep runs in march. Brunson is obviously the best example. But just looking at last years draft the Pacers added Sheppard. Nuggest Strawther. Cavs Porter Jr. Two late first round picks. And an undrafted guy. All contributing in their rookie season. NBA ready prospects.
Like Reply
They´ll be interested for no other reason than to milk the salary cap for every last drop.
Like Reply
(05-19-2024, 01:05 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Draft has no clear top tier talent based on everything I have read/watched. But there will be undrafted guys/late 2nd round picks that will have successful NBA careers. Finding another cheap rotation player would really help to compensate for the loss of guys that the Mavs won't be able to sign/resign under the new salary cap.
You mentioned former top  recruits as a potential direction. I would add another option. "Winners". Older rookies with successful college careers. Overperforming with weak teams or contributing towards deep runs in march. Brunson is obviously the best example. But just looking at last years draft the Pacers added Sheppard. Nuggest Strawther. Cavs Porter Jr. Two late first round picks. And an undrafted guy. All contributing in their rookie season. NBA ready prospects.

Yes, I am a big fan of the older guys who may get overvalued.  I always look for tough guys who won’t be intimidated.  I watched very little college basketball this year.  Two guys who stick out to me are Shead from Houston.  He is small and can’t really shoot but he is a dog.  I also like Cam Spencer from UConn.  He may not have the measurables of an nba player but he can play.  May be the first player to talk back to Luka too.
Like Reply